Post your "rate my cables" here

img0487f.jpg

And the lol shot:
img0488n.jpg

Antec 902, I'm really at loss on where to go now, I'm not satisfied with it but I'm lost on how to get it any cleaner. First one is with my 260 gtx which is RMA'd in the second pic along with my true upgrade. Hopefully when I upgrade to an i7 later this month the motherboard will have a better layout.

Photo0041.jpg

Photo0043.jpg

Yeah, small cases like the A05 are the best, doing a clean setup w/a lot of hardware on one of 'em is a real challenge. One day I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping to get one of 'em over here, I like it so much. :p

I'm finally done sleeving my rig. Took forever, lot of speed bumps (pin tool breaking halfway through and having to improvise), but I think it was worth it.

The rats nest:
PGabc.jpg

Custom SATA power connector:
XEoNf.jpg

Another custom SATA power. And yes, I've got a black SATA cable coming :D
j0Wns.jpg

The toggle switches for the bottom fans. Had to break out the soldering iron for this:
qR8ci.jpg

And here is everything in perspective:
HTIeH.jpg

Comments appreciated!

voldemort-inside.jpg

And with the side door on:
voldemort-inside-window.jpg

Case is a Raidmax Smilodon Extreme. I'm actually very surprised at how well I was able to hide cables in this thing.

yeah i dont really understand the modded h50 above. i can see modding it to add in a different/bigger radiator, or to add a flowmeter or temperature sensor, but whats the point in modding it and just adding a reservoir? seems like it just makes it more complicated with no actual added usefulness. :/

Its getting replaced :D

I only had two black SATA cables on-hand, and my local comp store doesn't seem to carry black cables :(

I hear you! Our local place only has blue ones! Better than red, but still not black.

yeah i dont really understand the modded h50 above. i can see modding it to add in a different/bigger radiator, or to add a flowmeter or temperature sensor, but whats the point in modding it and just adding a reservoir? seems like it just makes it more complicated with no actual added usefulness. :/

With extra liquid your temps will stay a little more stable. After hours of running at load, ultimately it would eventually reach the same temps with or without the extra liquid, but because there is more, it will take more time for it to heat up (and also cool down.) If your system only peaks its load in little spikes, there is some benefit, as they will be even more smoothed out, and temperatures will remain even more constant.

That's my theory anyways.

Heres another PC- A05 build.

P1020739.jpg

P1020742.jpg

Messed up my SATA sleeves but i dont really mis them tbh.

Did the temperatures decreased by adding that reservoir to the H50?

Yep they did. I got a good 7c drop at idle and a 5c drop at load. mainly, like sirkronan said the res allows the liquid to cool further before going back into the rad. i also think its related to the fact that the tubing doesn't have any ridges so it allows water to flow more unobstructed.

it is a useful mod because it does decrease temps but the main reason i did it because I had already hacked apart my h50 to try and add a 240mm radiator which didn't pan out (pump wasn't strong enough) and I wanted to reuse the h50 but without a res it was impossible to fill it up 100%. the res made that possible.

With extra liquid your temps will stay a little more stable. After hours of running at load, ultimately it would eventually reach the same temps with or without the extra liquid, but because there is more, it will take more time for it to heat up (and also cool down.) If your system only peaks its load in little spikes, there is some benefit, as they will be even more smoothed out, and temperatures will remain even more constant.

this is generally what is happening. its a interesting little mod that does allow for better temps.

here is my temp after 10min of prime95

46012102.png

they would be in the mid to high 70s before the mod.

i got the idea from WillHemmens from overclock.net (link to guide thread)

Heres another PC- A05 build.

very nice! i love that extra space on the other side of the HDD rack... so much room to hide wires. well done though. 9/10

Last edited:
thats really cool. glad it helped your temps. idk if id have been willing to try that. how did you attach the hose to the h50 and res? does it have barbs of some sort that you could reuse?

thats really cool. glad it helped your temps. idk if id have been willing to try that. how did you attach the hose to the h50 and res? does it have barbs of some sort that you could reuse?

yeah they both have 1/4inch barbs so that was easy to work with.

i mean you can get the H50 for $50, the microres costs $20 and the tubing and barbs for the res cost $10 so its not a huge investment.

yeah they both have 1/4inch barbs so that was easy to work with.

i mean you can get the H50 for $50, the microres costs $20 and the tubing and barbs for the res cost $10 so its not a huge investment.

Nice! I've seen the H50 on sale for $50 to $60 several times now, even at Best Buy, and this looks like a simple and clean way to very quickly give it a few more degrees of cooling power. Nice to know for any H50 owners out there.

It's logical that a higher amount of liquid will take more time to heat, provided the amount of heat remains constant. And where there are almost no apps/games that will constantly keep a processor at 100% peak load like Prime or Orthos would, your greater amount of liquid can simply dissipate more heat before the liquid will reach temps the likes of which it hit before the mod.

haadij404- very nice and clean build. I see that you have a 5-6 C variance between some of the cores with the H50- I am experiencing the same thing and was wondering if its my mount or if that's normal>

thanks

I know its not the h50 causing the difference. I had other heatsinks on there and they would also get the large variance between cores. Must be the chip.

Thanks! I really don't know what else I could do. Other than paint the interior black and wrap all the wires up in electrical tape or psu sheathing or whatever its called :)

My first complete custom build and with cable management. Found out that the Antec 300 doesn't offer much room in managing cables, I was able to do something though. Here we go.

Cablemanagement.jpg

Samson, route that cpu cable along the left side of the motherboard underneath the small notch in the expansion cards. That would really help the overall look.

Hmm I didn't think of that. I'll try it out, I also wanna get those top fan wires hidden a little better. Then sometime get a sata disc drive to get that ide cable outta there.

I did the same with one of my desktops (running wire under the space between the cards/mobo). Getting rid of the ATA cable will help a lot. Also, zip ties are your friend :D Just don't go overboard with them.

Thanks, I am considering moving all of the front panel connectors so they go straight to the right and wrapping them up in black so they don't stand out so much. Well see though.

Spiko - That would look alot better if the video card cables ran over the top of the video card. Also, this will help with the airflow to the gpu fan.

Spiko - That would look alot better if the video card cables ran over the top of the video card. Also, this will help with the airflow to the gpu fan.

I've got a few parts coming in Tuesday. I'll try it when I have it open and post some more pics. Thank you for the feedback.

cygnusx-1 - Have you noticed any better temps when the radiator is positioned that way instead of with cables on bottom? Never thought about it but maybe that would help coolant flow.

Last edited:
cygnusx-1 - Have you noticed any better temps when the radiator is positioned that way instead of with cables on bottom? Never though about it but maybe that would help flow.

I heard it was better with them on the bottom. Can't imagine it makes a world of difference either way.

ok so i finally got mine to an acceptable place to take a picture. whats my score? :p im replacing the mosfet, nb, and sb heat sinks soon, so ill repost then. should at least get rid of the wires and rubber band from the nb fan. man that thing is LOUD. specs in sig.

sdc10330k.jpg

Last edited:
My first complete custom build and with cable management. Found out that the Antec 300 doesn't offer much room in managing cables, I was able to do something though. Here we go.
*snip*

Just curious, Is that a triple channel kit on a dual channel board? doesnt that bump it back down to single channel?

Back