Post your "rate my cables" here

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

p.s.- Merry Christmas! (and Happy Holidays)

Last edited:
the quality of those pictures is really great. How and what did you use to take them?

the quality of those pictures is really great. How and what did you use to take them?

They were taken with a Canon Rebel XTi with kit lens. No special trick really I either used no flash or full manual settings(with no flash), set it on something stable and used the timer so the the camera didn't shake from me pressing the shutter release. They were actually taken a while ago, I don't think I did in post work in photoshop, but if I did it was very minimal.
Thank you for the complements btw.

There is just something about DSLR pics that are so sharp. I thought I would invest the money into the Panasonic LX3 but it does not compare, period, at all. Wish I would have used that $500 on a DSLR instead.

I have had this case for a long long time, many different systems have went through it, however, I have never got my cable management down. (As a matter of fact I posted in this thread many years ago with one of my first builds.

Anyways, her it is after I yanked the IDE drives out and put a SATA drive in it.

It was running hotter than normal with the fan in front of the HD so I added one more intake fan.
dsc05958.jpg

dsc05959v.jpg

dsc05960.jpg

Intake temps dropped by 6 degrees, however if I add an extra exhaust fan they climb back up???
I want to do something like this that I saw on the same case.
pdpbittech049bl5.jpg

I really wish I had a modular power supply, but have no idea where to start to tidy things up a bit.

Last edited:
is that a chieftek dragon case?! Awesome I had one of those back in the day. Those duct things are pretty cool

Just rebuilt the main system and had to redo the wires.

Wires.jpg

Inside%20Lit%20Up.jpg

HSF%20Close%20Up.jpg

This is my secondary system, doesn't look quite as nice.

Wires.jpg

The first one could still use some work as well if you ask me, tho that case looks kinda tough to work with (considering the amount of stuff you've got in it)... Looks like there's one or two holes for cables along the lip between the 5.25" bays and the mobo back plate but some cables might be too thick or too short to be run thru there... Not a lot of options unless you cut your own holes.

The first one could still use some work as well if you ask me, tho that case looks kinda tough to work with (considering the amount of stuff you've got in it)... Looks like there's one or two holes for cables along the lip between the 5.25" bays and the mobo back plate but some cables might be too thick or too short to be run thru there... Not a lot of options unless you cut your own holes.

I agree. It's not nearly as tidy as I would like it but those exact reasons are why it had to go the way I did. I have considered cutting my own holes but I think my next case will just have the provisions for good cable management. The other problem is that even if I cut my own access holes my space behind the backing plate and side panel is very limited.

This was an old HP computer that was put in an Antec case. With a non modular PSU.

The Only goal I set out was to clear the area around the fan above the Hard drives. I wasn.t going for anything pretty. I just was getting ready to Sell it.

Before

100_1415copy.jpg

After
100_1433-1.jpg

100_1431.jpg

100_1438-1.jpg

Had I of been keeping it. I would of got a different PSU and tried a little harder

Is that a HP make of a ASUS P5LP-LE OEM motherboard your using with a custom fan on a what used to be a AVC 90mm cooler?

Matthew Kane :
Is that a HP make of a ASUS P5LP-LE OEM motherboard your using with a custom fan on a what used to be a AVC 90mm cooler?

The motherbaord was a Asus HP brand IPIBL-LB (Benicia)

Everything was stock in that case except the GPU, PSU. and I think I had a TV tuner in it.

Windows Home Server

Coolermaster 590 Tabs between bays removed with a file
Intel D945GCLF
Adaptec 1420SA Supermicro CSE-M35TQ, 2off Stoke fans replaced
Seagate hard drives, 7off of various types and capacity

PSU is upside down so PSU fan does not pull in dust from beneath case
The drive tray in white is intensional and is the system drive
The DVD is there for the very few times it is required; at which point the DVD drive will be removed
The extra molex power connectors are there for when another CSE-M35TQ is added
Have a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 ready for when more storage is required

Why can't PSU manufacturers make the mobo power cables longer?? :(

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

front.jpg

Looks good, but that psu will fill up with dust over time anyways.

How many sata ports do you have total right now? i thought the mobo only had 2? + 4 on the adaptec?

Looks good, but that psu will fill up with dust over time anyways.

Indeed. Being upside down the PSU might get better air flow then being the "correct way" up

How many sata ports do you have total right now? i thought the mobo only had 2? + 4 on the adaptec?

Yup, 6 in total. I also have two external hard drives on USB
When I outgrow the adaptec I will install the supermicro
Hopefully that won't happen before (a) I feel the need to upgrade the mobo or (b) the next version of WHS is released

The motherbaord was a Asus HP brand IPIBL-LB (Benicia)

Everything was stock in that case except the GPU, PSU. and I think I had a TV tuner in it.

Was close :) you gotta say HP makes some pretty neat featured mobo's, not many mAtx G33 mobos come with a decent RAID controller on board and other features such as SPDIF, Firewire 800 etc, if only their BIOS were unlocked :rolleyes:

Was close :) you gotta say HP makes some pretty neat featured mobo's, not many mAtx G33 mobos come with a decent RAID controller on board and other features such as SPDIF, Firewire 800 etc, if only their BIOS were unlocked :rolleyes:

This was one of the reasons I had been using an IPIBL-LA in my HTPC because it had digital coax out. However, with a picky BIOS and no official support for 45 nm on that board, I've since upgraded.

Great stable board overall though.

This was one of the reasons I had been using an IPIBL-LA in my HTPC because it had digital coax out. However, with a picky BIOS and no official support for 45 nm on that board, I've since upgraded.

Great stable board overall though.

It supports 45nm cpu's, if that board is still within warranty you can go to their local office and get one of em tech's to unlock it for you free of charge, if its still under warranty, I just called and emailed about my one, but its 1 year beyond of manufacturer warranty :)

But yeah, stable boards indeed.

Looks pretty nice indeed, 'specially for having that much hardware in a cramped A05, good job. Aren't the two fans on the Noctua kinda overkill w/the case intake fan so near the cooler tho? Just wondering, whenever I see reviews where people try the dual-fan setup on most coolers it hardly ends up making a difference.

thanks.

i use the dual fan setup so the hdd's get a nice amount of air and also to feed the front exhaust. i find in a single fan setup that pushing yields better temps but at the cost of heating up the hdd's as the air flow get distrupted by the heatsink fins. also lowered my cpu temps by about 2c so that also helps.

I'm aware that my cable management looks awful, but it was the best I could do with my gigantic Rocketfish without cutting any holes into the motherboard tray and buying extension cables. Also, the backside of the motherboard tray has probably only 1 to 1.5cm of clearance, so hiding thicker cables back there is impossible. Anyone have suggestions on how to improve it?

Also, please excuse the smudges. Didn't even realize they were that bad until I saw the photos with flash! Gonna clean that up tomorrow.

p10806201200x900.jpg

p1080613.jpg

p1080614.jpg

p1080610v.jpg

p1080611.jpg

p1080616.jpg

Last edited:
Windows Home Server

Coolermaster 590 Tabs between bays removed with a file
Intel D945GCLF
Adaptec 1420SA Supermicro CSE-M35TQ, 2off Stoke fans replaced
Seagate hard drives, 7off of various types and capacity

PSU is upside down so PSU fan does not pull in dust from beneath case
The drive tray in white is intensional and is the system drive
The DVD is there for the very few times it is required; at which point the DVD drive will be removed
The extra molex power connectors are there for when another CSE-M35TQ is added
Have a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 ready for when more storage is required

Why can't PSU manufacturers make the mobo power cables longer?? :(

side1.jpg

http://www.asposium.com/side2.jpg
http://www.asposium.com/front.jpg

OMG mini-itx in an ATX case

now all we need is a mini-itx in a full tower :p

Get some Sunbeam Anywhere brackets and you can stick some HDD's where the PCI slots normally would be...

Gotta put those hard drives somewhere.

The CM 590 is a nice case for a WHS build

Inexpensive and plenty of 5.25inch drive bays
Until I bought the SM 5into3 drive caddies I had Silverstone 4into3 caddies
Made for a cheap build but a pain-in-the-arse to change drives

The SM 5into3 make it far easier to organise the drives

the problem I had with those 5-in-3 cages... is they run about $90-100 each... after 3 of them and the case, you're over the cost of a Norco 4220.... or 4020... which hold 20 drives by themselves and although are quite large/noisy... that's not an issue for me. I'm just looking for drive storage / setup. It's a huge pain to work on my server as it is right now, it really needs to be changed... I don't want to spend $300 on a Norco, but don't want to spend $250 on 2 x 5-in-3 cages and a case to fit them or use my current rocketfish and fit 2 of them, still leaves drives inside the case... bah. !

Rambling... Also thinking of dropping my 800D for a much smaller setup in a TJ08 which would be interesting.

I like the old coolermaster stacker STC-T01 and the old 4in3 coolermaster modules that went with them. I have two such setups now, one with 12x1TB and one with 16x1.5TB, they're both fairly quiet for what they do, with very good drive temps.. too bad CM killed both products :(

The CM590 is nice, and you can get 4in3 modules that are good enough fairly cheap still, usually leaving out hotswap tho...

the problem I had with those 5-in-3 cages... is they run about $90-100 each... after 3 of them and the case, you're over the cost of a Norco 4220.... or 4020... which hold 20 drives by themselves and although are quite large/noisy... that's not an issue for me. I'm just looking for drive storage / setup. It's a huge pain to work on my server as it is right now, it really needs to be changed... I don't want to spend $300 on a Norco, but don't want to spend $250 on 2 x 5-in-3 cages and a case to fit them or use my current rocketfish and fit 2 of them, still leaves drives inside the case... bah. !

I agree on the price of the SM 5into3
Though the 590 is quite small and looks the business :cool:

I like the old coolermaster stacker STC-T01 and the old 4in3 coolermaster modules that went with them. I have two such setups now, one with 12x1TB and one with 16x1.5TB, they're both fairly quiet for what they do, with very good drive temps.. too bad CM killed both products :(

The CM590 is nice, and you can get 4in3 modules that are good enough fairly cheap still, usually leaving out hotswap tho...

Silverstone do a 4into3 that is close enough to the CM product
I paid ~ £17 for the Silverstone 4into3 whereas ~ £115 for the SM 5into3 (the SM I wanted had to be imported from the USA)
removing a failed hard drive from a full 4into3 took ~ 30mins
removing a failed hard drive from the SM 5into3 took ~ 10seconds

30 minutes isnt so bad, I dont mind having to open the server to get access to the drives, I usually do some maintenance at the same time (vacuuming filters, cpu heatsink etc).

Not that I've had to do it often, my 12x1TB box has been running pretty much 24/7 since june 2008 without issues :)

I'm almost there:D:D:D

But for now here's a preliminary shot of my 900, and I have to say I might have one of the cleanest looking 900 out there:p:

dsc02680o.jpg

Last edited:
Back