Post your "rate my cables" here

OMG, yeah baby! That is utterly perfect! Woot!

Now... just how much $ have I saved for that hardware RAID card... is it enough to pay for a Cosmos... ? Gah!

Yes the Cosmos has a vent below for air intake into the PSU. Thanks for you suggestion, I had a quick look at using a zip tie on the mobo tray before but thought this way was easier. I'll take another look tonight and see if I can sort it out.

EDIT: Had a quick go at what you suggested.

imgp1087xg9.jpg

Anyone that has worked on a 900 for cable management would appreciate the work that went into this....impressive!

The problem I have with my PSU is that the cable is too short and not modular (BFG 700W)....I will be going modular and with a different PSU. What kind of PSU is that?? Anyone have suggestions on the best PSU for cable management?

I appreciate all your tips and will take into consideration, I really appreciate the really lengthy right up :D

The Freezer Pro wire was already re-routed, like i said old pick, same with the top fan power cables, I actually removed the twisties and ductaped them to the back so they stayed there (yea I used tape haha)!

Your advice about the bottom cables will REALLY help I was very stumped on what to do with those, the PCI-E power cables probably won't be moveable for me unless I move to a 90mm fan or move the fan like you suggested, I can't believe I didn't have that idea to begin with!

The HDD will stay, I can't switch it around, I already tried it :(, if I turn it around to hid the cables twords the front of the case it nocks into the edges and I don't like that, if I move it to the top it inteferes too much with the PCI-e connectors on my 4870's which is another thing I don't like at ALL since they are stressed as is (too bad ATI didn't face them like Nvidia's that would of helped big time, then I could remove the top sleeve and bend them twords the motherboard for easy flexibility)

Also agree with you consmo's, but like you I love the frigerator look too much and am too [H]ard headed to change my case just for incase flexibility :(

Again thanks for the comments and suggestions and wish you luck on your next project, also love your case and wiring job, I don't have enough patience to move to those small shuttle cases but do admire them.

My pleasure. Once I get going, it is hard to stop when I have time. As I write, more things come to mind, and would be remiss if I left anything out.

I use tape all the time, but not duct tape because it leaves a terrible residue when removed. As long as it isn't in view, anything goes! I use painters masking tape, it holds just fine and leaves no residue. Why use a plastic ziptie mount, when a piece of tape will do? Only when it is visible!

Cable management is like a puzzle. You take it one piece at a time, look it over, move things, repeat till happy. You are never stumped... and rather just taking a break from the puzzle until you find a solution. There are no problems, just solutions. Often, you see something done on another's system, and implement it in yours. A famous artist once said, "A good artist looks for inspiration in others' work. A great artist copies anothers work!". This is why I enjoy threads like this so much, I see so many great ideas that inspire me, and very few of my ideas are my own. One of my trades is as a Graphic Artist, so anything visual can fall into my niche including product design. Many clients state some of my computers are works of art -- I agree, this whole scene is very much an artistic domain. Being such, there can be no wrong, and only differences in an artist/builders interpetation.

Your case looks like one of the newer P180s. There is no slot to run cables behind that lower fan on the back side? Or is it just that the PCIe lines won't fit?

It's absolutely fine as is. It'll be a complete gut job if you plan to do any cutting, and even removing that fan requires the cables be moved out of the way (ruins preveous work). Leave it for a rainy day, and list the things you want to do when you get to tearing it apart.

I am running a 90mm Zalman fan in there right now, using the resistor adapter to slow the fan down to near silence. It was way too loud at full speed, and in slow mode it still draws plenty of air, the proof of which is the dust collecting on the front filter. I picked up the fan in their FB123 fan bracket kit, it is actually cheaper than just a fan and the bracket comes in handy! Good 90mm fans are rare to find in stock, but the FB123 is popular and usually available. When I next gut the system, I am cutting the ridge in front of the lower drive bay that is blocking me putting in a 120mm fan there by the filter. For now, the 90mm fan works fine being held by only one screw.

I think you missread my comment on the HD. I meant only to route the sata cables from the mobo so they are not angled to the right (past the PCIe connection into the vid card), no need to touch the drive itself. The vid cards have a knotch on the bottom to clear the mobo at their end. This should be enough room to run the sata cable strait down and underneath the cards, then straight down through the hole to the lower chamber. Once there, easily connect to the HD while leaving any slack tucked behind the drive bay for easily pulling the tray out a bit without having to disconnect any cables.

I see now that only one cable goes down, the other goes up to the DVD. This causes an interesting challenge to my proposal. Have to think on that! I am sure there is a way! It's too bad that sata data cables don't fold to make right angle turns like IDE cables.

Good stand on resisting purchases just for improved flexibility. I'll never count up the parts and money I've spent in this respect, if I did I would probably give up the whole thing lol. :D

Thanks for your comments! Always a pleasure!

Ok, reread what you said about the HDD, makes sense now, thanks!

the P180 is the new one, the cables fit in that slot you are talking about but it gets really tight infront of the HDD, I'll rework it this weekend to see if the cables can be looped tighter so it doesn't interfere too much with the other cabling down there. The way I have it right now is there isn't a whole lot of slack infront of the HDD and it mainly uses that corner as a choke point to keep them taught.

Yes I have one cable going down (the sata cable), the right angles on the IDE cables did make it easier to rout them but they were such and eye sore I don't mind the rubbery coated SATA cables too bad.

I already added one 120 fan on there, another antec fan I ripped out of another case that I didn't need it in, probably not going to run anymore fans or exchang them, if I do then that will be a whole new project with completely replacing the fan system itself, as of right now its very quiet with only one fan on medium and the rest on low ... plus its very cool.

That little area infront of the lower HDD cage is a PITA! I agree, was halfway tempted to dremel out that ridge you are talking about for fan placement then got tasked for some other chore and forgot about it, doubt I'll go back and saw it off, but still that lower area is a puzzle like you put it.

Anyone that has worked on a 900 for cable management would appreciate the work that went into this....impressive!

The problem I have with my PSU is that the cable is too short and not modular (BFG 700W)....I will be going modular and with a different PSU. What kind of PSU is that?? Anyone have suggestions on the best PSU for cable management?

Impressive indeed! Masterful! Even if one has never worked with a 900 or any other bottom mounted PSU.

As per my last post, one part I have purchased numerous times for the sake of flexibility, is a PSU. As with any build, you encounter difficulties due to imperfect compatibility for your design. No matter how well you plan your build, something doesn't fit or work perfectly and you either return the part for an exchange, or use it elsewhere and buy another part for your build. Whether it be the wrong type of ram, or a PSU that doesn't reach where you want it, the solution is simple yet often has to wait till you can aquire the parts you want.

That PSU looks like a Corsair because of the ribbon style modular cables. I am not a big fan of modular PSUs, the extra connection simply isn't as good as a direct connection inside the PSU. Having said that, the modular Corsairs do not suffer from this according to all the reviews I have read on them. They are either under rated to compensate, or the connection and cable design is extremely efficient. The modular Corsairs are the only modular PSU I would consider these days. It may also me an Ultra PSU, as they also have ribbon cables but I think they are not black.

You would do fine with any of Corsairs non-modular PSUs as well, the cables are plenty long although not ribbon style they have very good sleeving.

There should be no perfect PSU for cable management, and the PSU should be chosen for it's quality and prowess first. Usually, a good PSU will have adequate length or it wouldn't be a good quality PSU. In light of this, I put my money on several brands that are known to be reliable and high quality:

OCZ GameXStream series, (also StealthXStream but NOT the 500w version!)
PC Power & Cooling
Silverstone
Seasonic

Careful with Enermax and Antec, some of their units aren't that great and may have crappy line length or design. Otherwise, they both also have some units that are very good.

Read up on the unit you want, most reviews will list the lengths of each line as well as exactly what connectors they have.

For your tower, a 500W to 750W will be more than adequate. Even the Corsair 450VX would do well:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25472&vpn=CMPSU-450VX&manufacture=CORSAIR

the P180 is the new one, the cables fit in that slot you are talking about but it gets really tight infront of the HDD, I'll rework it this weekend to see if the cables can be looped tighter so it doesn't interfere too much with the other cabling down there. The way I have it right now is there isn't a whole lot of slack infront of the HDD and it mainly uses that corner as a choke point to keep them taught.

That's where to draw the slack back to the PSU and tuck the cables above it. You don't want any slack by the HDs or near the fan. Look at UncleDavid's P180, the bundle of cables in front of his PSU is fine IMO, but would do better tucked above it where there is actually a lot of room. There is also a lot of room behind the PSU.

Here's a a bunch of old shots of my P180. Notice how on the 3rd and last shot, you can see the sata cables are routed for easily pulling the drive bay out:

gxatxinlsfe3.jpg

gxfinibacks5iv.jpg

gxfinis5jf.jpg

gxhdds3ek.jpg

dscn0966snq1.jpg

dscn0984csso8.jpg

... as of right now its very quiet with only one fan on medium and the rest on low ... plus its very cool.

That little area infront of the lower HDD cage is a PITA! I agree, was halfway tempted to dremel out that ridge you are talking about for fan placement then got tasked for some other chore and forgot about it, doubt I'll go back and saw it off, but still that lower area is a puzzle like you put it.

LOL yup. Same here, got put off for over a year now. But I will be doing it, hopefully soon. Might as well, because I will gut it for the system swap anyway.

Definately quiet and cool cases when those fans aren't on high. I used to get incredibly low temps on an overclocked X2-3800 full load, with some BH-5 high voltage redhot ram. Even with the fans on low, but I always ran them on high when stressing an overclock.

mekkanic... agreed 100% about the Antec 900... I built my sister a rig in one and that thing was very unforgiving, you have to run every wire just right if you don't have a modular PSU... but I finally got it looking pretty good in there. The one in the picture you posted was a masterful job indeed.

i built this little beast for under 200 bucks and tryed to hide cables but thats kinda hard to do. oh and im buying a evga 9600gt from a friend here in a few days.
100_0721.jpg

Here it is.

Sorry about the blurriness low light and I didnt want to use the flash unless necessary.
The pictures really dont do it justice this thing is AMAZING!!! (IMO)

hdd037.jpg

hdd038.jpg

hdd040.jpg

hdd041.jpg

hdd042.jpg

hdd044.jpg

hdd045.jpg

hdd046.jpg

hdd047.jpg

hdd048.jpg

I guess I should have cut another hole in the back, but here is what I did with my NSK-3480. The duct is a prototype... I'm going to make a nicer looking one very soon.

IMG_7848.JPG

IMG_7854.jpg

There is a Scythe Ninja 2 under the duct.
IMG_7855.jpg

IMG_7836.JPG

IMG_7835.JPG

IMG_7819.jpg

IMG_7837.JPG

^
I like your duct mod :)

I just moved all my hardware from an Antec P180 to a Cooler Master 590. I love the cable management and space in the new Cooler Master. Is there anyway I can get a 8-pin 12-volt cable extender? I can make one or is there one for purchase? I hate that damn cable from my PSU to the mobo. The P180 will do server duty for now on.

IMG_0969.jpg

^
Thanks, I made a duct in my NSK-2480 that worked so well that I thought I'd give this a try. It made a HUGE difference!
^
I just moved all my hardware from an Antec P180 to a Cooler Master 590. I love the cable management and space in the new Cooler Master. Is there anyway I can get a 6-pin 12-volt cable extender? I can make one or is there one for purchase? I hate that damn cable from my PSU to the mobo. The P180 will do server duty for now on.

IMG_0969.jpg

Do you mean 8-pin extension? I have that same motherboard (Diamond) and it has an 8-pin for the CPU.

I had to get an extension to and I think this is where I got it. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2514

i just ordered a sleeving kit and i forgot to order an 8 pin extension cable. anyhow, i happen to have another 8 pin cable from another modular PSU. is it possible to splice it with my existing 8 pin to extend the length?

I would just order the extension cable and wait a week for it then. If your computer works now, you'll be fine until you get the extension to reroute the cable.

Do you mean strip the wire, tie the bare ends and heat shrink them??? Highly ill-advised... but it's your computer.

Thanks, I made a duct in my NSK-2480 that worked so well that I thought I'd give this a try. It made a HUGE difference!

Do you mean 8-pin extension? I have that same motherboard (Diamond) and it has an 8-pin for the CPU.

I had to get an extension to and I think this is where I got it. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2514

Oh yeah thats what im looking for thanks :)

I tried putting a 80mm in the back of this case but it does not fit :( do you need a 80x15mm fan to make it fit? I would love to use this unique case feature. I already see a 5-6c drop in my temps across the CPU, NB and video cards. I definitely love this case!

update:

I checked Cooler Master's site and found out it does fit only a 80x15mm fan.

Picture of old faithful...

S5001182.jpg

Using the same XP Home install, and most hardware for the past five years. I bought a new CPU about two months ago for $10 (1800+ OC Tbred, to a 2800+ pally), and bought a radeon 2400 pro (what a piece) to use dvi with my LCD.

Picture of old faithful...

S5001182.jpg

Using the same XP Home install, and most hardware for the past five years. I bought a new CPU about two months ago for $10 (1800+ OC Tbred, to a 2800+ pally), and bought a radeon 2400 pro (what a piece) to use dvi with my LCD.

Oh man I should post a pic of my server because I am using the same mobo and HSF as you.

Love it! Bet it's super quiet!

For Rev 2.0, use something other than cardboard because it is a great insulator of heat. The old one should make a perfect template for some sheet metal or aluminum!

Love those little cases!

I guess I should have cut another hole in the back, but here is what I did with my NSK-3480. The duct is a prototype... I'm going to make a nicer looking one very soon.

There is a Scythe Ninja 2 under the duct.

Holy Crap! That Tuniq just barely fits there eh?

Love how you fit the SLI bridge through the Acceleros, ran into that problem myself and ended up ditching the idea of running two of them. Then I saw an extra long flexible bridge used by another fellow, can buy them but no idea how much.

I feel your pain regarding the 8-pin 12V line. No mobo has a good connection location when it comes to bottom mounted PSU cases.

Rather than an extension, simply run it up the back side under the vid cards, out of sight and out of mind. Look to my Antec 300 pics for how I did the same.

^

I just moved all my hardware from an Antec P180 to a Cooler Master 590. I love the cable management and space in the new Cooler Master. Is there anyway I can get a 8-pin 12-volt cable extender? I can make one or is there one for purchase? I hate that damn cable from my PSU to the mobo. The P180 will do server duty for now on.

i built this little beast for under 200 bucks and tryed to hide cables but thats kinda hard to do. oh and im buying a evga 9600gt from a friend here in a few days.
100_0721.jpg

I have the same board, what processor did you throw in it and how do you like it?

Got around to doing some cable management on my v1000b finally. Still not amazing compared to some of the work others have posted, but I'm happy with it.

BEFORE:

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

AFTER:
Side panel on:
IMG_1832.jpg

Side panel off:
IMG_1836.jpg

Kind of how you'd see it sitting at the desk.
IMG_1845.jpg

Not picking on anyone in particular, but it's funny when people post pics to be rated and they don't have any cables in them. hehe...like they don't have their pci-e required video cards hooked up and sometimes they don't even have their hard drives or motherboard powered. nice..........

Here we are. Could do a little better but I dont feel like buying longer cords or cutting into my case.

before
100_2478.jpg

After
PICT0004.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

p8160037vr2.jpg

By far not the best I've done, but after all, it's SFF. Does anyone see any room for improvement?

Not the best picture (in terms of light), sorry for that.

Here is my PC-V1100 after update to P5Q-E, TRUE 120 Black, Mushkin XP2-6400 (black ones) and HD4850. The graphics card looks a bit strangely, but i think it's because power cable is pulling it down a little bit :). In real it doesn't look that bad at all, i think the camera makes it look worse :D.

pc-v1000.jpg

If you ever wonder what is that molex at top back of case, then it's the nexus fan connectors :). I don't feel brave enough to remove them (this is not the fan where it first goes to 3-pin and then to molex, it's the other way in this case).

What's in the case ?
E8400, P5Q-E, TRUE 120 Black + Nexus 12cm PWM fan, HD4850+Accelero S1+fake Yate Loon 13,5cm fan :D, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2-6400, X-Fi Gamer, HX620, 2xWD6400AAKS, 1xSH-S203D DVD, Scythe Kaze Master, Scythe Kama Bay with Noctua NF-P12, Nexus 12cm fan.

Since I'd like to get a TT Lanbox myself, I'd sure like to see a few more pics or views! :D

Can't realy suggest anything, because I can't see what you got. :cool:

p8160037vr2.jpg

By far not the best I've done, but after all, it's SFF. Does anyone see any room for improvement?

Vid card sag is common, not to worry. It really is hard to see if it's the vid card or only the Accelero. Either way, if mounted in another case right side up, I bet it will flatten out nice. :D

There is certainly room for improvement, plenty of slack in the lines to route maybe a bit better. But it is otherwise quite clean and free of any airflow blockage. It's a BIG case, with a bottom mounted PSU, not the easiest to work with!

I can't see the fan molex you are taking about. I assume it is the fan on the vid card, or one of the case fans. I never mod a 4 pin molex to 3 pin, and instead just replace the fan. That would let you connect it to the mobo for power and speed control, as well as pickup the RPMs in software. Nexus are great fans, not cheap, so it isn't something I would consider priority unless you insist (and have the spare cash to burn on another fan).

I run into this often enough that I make sure I never buy fans with 4 pin molex connectors unless I actually need it. Most fans with 3 pin connectors come with an adapter to go to 4 pin molex, but not the other way around -- so they are not as versitile.

Personally, I'd prefer the hard drives moved down to the lower trays, farthest from the PSU. This would open up space to route the main ATX line directly from the side into the mobo rather than from below then up to the mobo where it is in sight. Same for the rest of the cables there includintg the HD sata lines which would need to run to the bottom. Easy change! Post a pic if you try it!

Very nice system specs, bet she's fast! :D

Not the best picture (in terms of light), sorry for that.

Here is my PC-V1100 after update to P5Q-E, TRUE 120 Black, Mushkin XP2-6400 (black ones) and HD4850. The graphics card looks a bit strangely, but i think it's because power cable is pulling it down a little bit :). In real it doesn't look that bad at all, i think the camera makes it look worse :D.

pc-v1000.jpg

If you ever wonder what is that molex at top back of case, then it's the nexus fan connectors :). I don't feel brave enough to remove them (this is not the fan where it first goes to 3-pin and then to molex, it's the other way in this case).

What's in the case ?
E8400, P5Q-E, TRUE 120 Black + Nexus 12cm PWM fan, HD4850+Accelero S1+fake Yate Loon 13,5cm fan :D, 2x2GB Mushkin XP2-6400, X-Fi Gamer, HX620, 2xWD6400AAKS, 1xSH-S203D DVD, Scythe Kaze Master, Scythe Kama Bay with Noctua NF-P12, Nexus 12cm fan.

There is a room for improvement, but i had no cable ties so this is the best result i was able to come up so far :).

Here is a better pic (morning have more light than night :D ) :
pc-v1000d.jpg

Look at right top side of case, above Accelero fan :). I'm thinking about sleewing & tieing those cables, but for now this is the result.

Oh and i was dissapointed by TRUE 120 Black. It's nice and all that, but the mounting mechanism wasn't black !!!

Edit: Oh, and those disks are in drive bays for a reason - i use a very effective anti-vibration solution. Really have 0 vibrations from disks :)

Love it! Bet it's super quiet!

For Rev 2.0, use something other than cardboard because it is a great insulator of heat. The old one should make a perfect template for some sheet metal or aluminum!

Love those little cases!

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. Cardboard is just easier to work with when you're making so many changes.

I'm liking this case better than my other two. I always thought my P180B was silent (it's very quiet), but this thing makes it sound like a jet. It's also not a PITA to lug around if I need to move it.

The only other real change that I'm going to do is seal the top vents from the inside. It allows noise to escape up top and I prevents all the air being sucked from the front around the HDD.

Roger that!

I often use wire twist ties to tack things up temporarily before finalizing with zipties -- the ones that come with most new parts but only use the ones with a rubber/nylon type coating, toss out anything covered in paper or too short. It's a good enough substitute that sometimes I leave them instead of replacing them with zipties. If it isn't in view, anything goes, and they are easily removed and replaced when adding or changing cables. It's come so handy, that I now save all twist ties (the good ones) into a jar. The longer, the better, you can cut them later.

Nice pic! I see the molex now, it's not plugged into power? Yeah, a few things you could do with that. Definately run it under the mobo, and use an adapter or extension if it won't still reach all the way into a drive bay where you tag it for power. Perhaps a PSU power line can meet it half way (under the mobo)! That way you don't have to sleeve it, because it is easier to tuck the two small stock wires underneath the mobo than a nylon sleeved fan tail -- you already have to deal with keeping the molex connectors flat (use some painters tape to hold them down so when you replace the mobo it drops in easy). Rotate the fan so that the tail comes out closest to the mobo, giving you maximum length and completely hiding the wire (another reason you won't need sleeving).

I am thinking I would also run the two FP USB cables under the mobo, coming out where the vid card power is. A recent comment in this thread spoke of a pics with system components not connected, and I agree on both fronts. If you don't need FP USB, firewire or sound, why bother hooking it up? On the other hand, I like everything connected and working on my own systems. Adds complexity, and still looks purdy if you can hide it!

Starting to really like the Thermalright 120s, love the small footprint, lots of space for RAM and view of mobo, but didn't like the overall look of them. They are groing on me though, and plan to get one soon. The black ones have been on sale recently, and thought it might help with fingerprints.

Good call on the drives. :D The lower bays make a lot of noise? Will the foam not fit in the lower bays?

That home made solution? What is the original purpose for the foam? Looks like it is a moulding for a car or home...

Seems like foam would work as good as rubber suspension, yeah completely silent. I'd love to try it if I knew what department to get the strips! :cool:

There is a room for improvement, but i had no cable ties so this is the best result i was able to come up so far :).

Here is a better pic (morning have more light than night :D ) :
pc-v1000d.jpg

Look at right top side of case, above Accelero fan :). I'm thinking about sleewing & tieing those cables, but for now this is the result.

Oh and i was dissapointed by TRUE 120 Black. It's nice and all that, but the mounting mechanism wasn't black !!!

Edit: Oh, and those disks are in drive bays for a reason - i use a very effective anti-vibration solution. Really have 0 vibrations from disks :)

I see the molex now, it's not plugged into power? Yeah, a few things you could do with that....

Uh, i think you didn't understood that :-D. Nexus 12cm fans have hardwired two molex connectors and one 3-pin connector. I use only the 3-pin connector (which is nicely running behind the motherboard tray), but the remaining connectors stays visible. And i can't just cut them - the wires go to the molex and then to 3-pin, not like older Nexus fans where it did go first to 3-pin and then to molex connectors (this way it was easy to cut all molex connectors from it).

I use the front USB connectors sometimes, so those are needed. Firewire maybe not, but what if :) .

Lower drive bays weren't making much noise (hell, WD6400AAKS is a silent drive), but all disks make vibrations, even the best ones. This solution is perfect as there is no way for vibrations to pass to case. That mounting mechanism is designed for 5.25 inch drive bay and wouldn't work in 3.5 inch drive bays. I didn't built those, those are at sale at one of local Slovak shops ($14 with current USD/SKK ratio). Too bad it's out of stock right now and they don't know when will the factory who make it have them again.
So far i seen it in the shop i linked beforeand one czech shop. So it seems like Slovak & Czech only product :-D.

I have the same board, what processor did you throw in it and how do you like it?

i got the AMD athlon x2 5000 and its working fine for and doing every thing that i wanted it to ...like i said i was short on cash but this rig is working great!

when i first built my quad system, before SCSI card/drives................

left-inside01.jpg

after SCSI and sound card, plus fan on PMW and behind HDD's, had to photoshop some lighting in there, cheap camera LOL
i really want a longer SCSI cable to kinda fix that, but can't be arsed with spending more money just for looks i guess.

0001.jpg

0003.jpg

0002.jpg

Back