Post your "rate my cables" here

how do we rate cables if we can't see them?

tumblr_kry8agB3u41qa0w0do1_400.jpg

Go easy on me... This is my first time trying to tidy cables, and to boot its all stuffed inside a Cooler Master Elite 110.

First assembled;
11130274_10153231342062269_1908177398596663779_n.jpg

After cable management;
12285_10153231341937269_5473238952510980245_n.jpg

I kind of wish I had gone with a Corsair 250D.. I might upgrade to that when I build my HTPC (currently using my old Q8200/CM Elite 690 box for that) and put it inside this with a smaller PSU and no GPU.

Alright you bunch of jerks, you make me go out and buy cable combs like an idiot. Fine! Here's my before and after:

Before
IMG_0396_zps6dlojf91.jpg

After
IMG_0407_zps1v4ngdr6.jpg

Quick photo of my almost finished workstation. Obviously there are a lot more visible cables than most of the builds here, but keep in mind 1) this is a server case without any room behind/below the motherboard tray or any other cable management features 2) the amount of hardware in this system (4x BD-ROM, 8x HDD, 2x SSD). I plan to post more pics - this was the most challenging build I've done by far. Took about 2 full days to get everything in and looking this good.

QcbvOYJ.jpg

Took my PC outside the other day, disconnected every single cable, and re-did them all, along with cleaning out dust! I still don't know how you guys make the backs of your cases look so good with all the wires back there lol.. No matter how hard I try to make it look neat back there, it looks awful.

Gp5h1r7.jpg

dDNR8Y0.jpg

S1kK3rt.jpg

I still wish there was a better way to do the GPU's power cables... They look awful no matter where I route them ugh.

Hi :)
Did You try to put the ATX 24 cable through the first hole from the top ?
And, for the PCI-E cable, through the second hole from the top ?
I htink it's better when cables go "down" to the connector.

Hi :)
Did You try to put the ATX 24 cable through the first hole from the top ?
And, for the PCI-E cable, through the second hole from the top ?
I htink it's better when cables go "down" to the connector.

Ohh ya know, that actually WOULD probably look better haha. I'll try that :D

System specs are in sig. All 3 x internal hard drives are mounted behind the mobo tray to keep the 'front' side clean. Future plans include ditching the 2 x yellow fans and replacing them with red LED models identical to the upper rear exhaust fan

image1_3.jpg

I will NOT show you the back side of the mobo tray. You DONT wanna see back there...

Just got my cable extensions stitched and the new build is complete.....for now. Probably going to sleeve the various other cables in the future. Build is in my sig.

s340.jpg

My dad's new computer. No cable management in the case and a non-modular PSU makes life challenging. He has to get an adapter for his SSD.

Went back to a desktop yesterday and finished building it. Here are my cables. Could do better with the front fan cables, but I ran out of zip ties.

Vc8BZRA.jpg

Ralphort, that's very well thought out with nice attention to detail! I wish my build looked that nice (just got my first computer than a friend helped put together). Next one will employ some ideas you've given me!

Looks nice. Clean and simple. Kind of like mine but I have way too many drives and stuff to look that clean.

Thanks! Yeah, I've got some external drives and storage and haven't utilized all that expansive space in the 650D case. Going to give those items to my girlfriend and stealth-in a drive to keep the clean, classy, flush look, not to mention USE some of that empty space. At least there's plenty of room for major upgrades in the future!

Just finished part of our plant's DCS effort (only 8 more cabinets to go!):
Photo%20Oct%2001%2C%205%2005%2024%20PM.jpg

Field I/O terminations:
Photo%20Oct%2001%2C%204%2047%2056%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2001%2C%204%2047%2053%20PM.jpg

About 1/2 of the unit's MCR:
Photo%20Oct%2001%2C%204%2048%2007%20PM.jpg

Debugging run:
Photo%20Sep%2029%2C%206%2032%2059%20PM.jpg

All wiring is cut to length and crimped.

Last edited:
Looks good.. we need you to come wire our DCS PLC's. The union craft we hire makes it look like the flying spaghetti monster.

Dang! I don't know what I'm looking at, but I can see the effort and precision!
Thank you for the kind words.
Looks good.. we need you to come wire our DCS PLC's. The union craft we hire makes it look like the flying spaghetti monster.
Thank you too. I'm wiring these things at the moment since we're short on instrumentation techs. Design/programming is where I usually sit.
They look like 6+2 connectors, probably zip tied just in case(tm).

I understand now :)

No where near as good as most of these but I just got a new PSU. I have too much stuff in my case and not enough patience to make super neat. I do have good air flow though.

When I do a major system upgrade and replace MB/CPU/RAM I'll try to do a better job with cables. The new 8pin CPU cable is too big to hide when I used to (between RAM and CPU under video cards). That's my biggest complaint.

vPtzwxR.jpg

Back