Post your "rate my cables" here

Very nicely done! Any plans to WC the GPUs in the future?

You know it!
Well, not the 460s. They don't have nearly enough vram for my liking.
Probably a GTX 680 hydro copper when I get my finances in order.
Kinda wanted to go amd this time around but I seem to be hearing slightly better things about the 680

Also, screw finding non reference GTX460 blocks :p ( know they are around, but it really doesn't seem worth it)

Here is mine. Would like to know your thoughts/suggestions.
IMG_20120408_174109.jpg

IMG_20120408_174127.jpg

IMG_20120408_174202.jpg

IMG_20120408_174230.jpg

IMG_20120408_174257.jpg

IMG_20120408_174328.jpg

I know I'm just busting ya. Just call it jealousy since I can't afford that PsU right now and I want/need it before i can jump to SLI!

german muscle - is that top mounted rad blowing warm air through it and out? or reverse of that?

Thanks Impulse! The color matching was actually unintentional. I had an MSI Military board that ended up dying on me which I decided to replace with the Crosshair V board. When I was putting it together I said "HEY, awesome, it matches" lol. When my MSI died, it took my memory with it which was Patriot and had blue heat spreaders. When I replaced the memory with the Viper Xtreme, it turned out ot match the sinks on the Crosshair V... but again, purely coincidental.

Moral of the story, its Metro-sexuality is purely coincidental lol.

Hah, during Christmas you could slap some green cathodes on it and call it a holiday themed build!

Heh, Im thinking of swapping out the red CCFL behind the rad for a white LED... not sure how it would look.

Need some suggestions for cable management in my gf's machine. Case is an NZXT Source 210 and PSU is a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus RS-460.
2mn5dts.jpg

Excuse the wire leading out of the case, it's connected to the side panel fan.

Need some suggestions for cable management in my gf's machine. Case is an NZXT Source 210 and PSU is a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus RS-460.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2mn5dts.jpg

Better than my ex gfs case. I managed to fit an old 5870 into a case which didn't have any fans and didn't even have a single 120mm fan mount.

As for your cabling, pull the extra cable slack behind the mobo try and maybe get a rounded ide cable if you can be bothered. Couple of cables I see could be routed a bit more as well. Like the front usb cable.

2mn5dts.jpg

It looks hopeless...(joking). That computer looks like a hand me down from years ago put together with spare parts. Swap the IDE cables with SATA cables if possible. That will help and remember zip ties are your friend. If you got a dremel you can cut some holes in the motherboard tray and hide the wires behind. Cable extensions also help. Better option is to get a modular PSU and modern chassis that is easy to manage cables.

That case has cable routing holes and it looks like it has some space behind the mobo, he just needs to use it... Tie the cables down tighter and out of view, use less molex dividers and extensions if possible, fold IDE cables against flat surfaces rather than twist them all up, etc. People were doing pretty amazing things even when we had no modular PSU and no SATA cables, just takes a little more work.

Just threw together a super budget build for the roomie, <$700 and pretty solid specs all around (2500k/p8z68-v lx/8gb 1333/6850 1gb/ corsair force3 90gb/xonar dg). No manual vcore adjustment on this board but it's chugging right along at 4.4GHz with everything set to auto. Spent a minimal amount of time with cable management (not getting paid for this :p ) but it turned out pretty decent. I think I did well given the constrained budget!

PRRHp.jpg

Last edited:
I sold my second 560ti to a friend who built a new pc, I dont game enough to justify having that second card. I did some rearranging after I removed it. I was hoping to see a drop in my video cards temp. It stays at 58C while doing anything besides gaming with fan set to auto. . I think dual monitors keeps it warmer for some reason. I think I will add a fan to the side of the case, that blows right on the video card. What do you think of my cable management?
Its a CoolerMaster HAF 912.
BEFORE:
2zps03q.jpg

AFTER:
bewnjp.jpg

Looks pretty neat, stock cooler fan wire could be better hidden by coiling it underneath rather than running it around like that but that's the only thing that stands out to me. GPU power could be pulled taut too. Multiple displays have long kept AMD cards from idling fully, dunno if it's the same deal for NV.

Looks pretty neat, stock cooler fan wire could be better hidden by coiling it underneath rather than running it around like that but that's the only thing that stands out to me. GPU power could be pulled taut too. Multiple displays have long kept AMD cards from idling fully, dunno if it's the same deal for NV.

I disabled multiple displays, and temps dropped about 20c within a few minutes. I guess it really needs to work quite a bit harder to power 2 displays. What do you mean coiled underneath? Remove heatsink and shove it underneath? I was thinking I could turn it 180 degrees but I hate putting the locking the heatsink to the motherboard.. it requires a bit of pressure thats best dont with the motherboard out of the case. I will pull the GPU cable tighter, and see if I can run the front audio connector behind the power supply.

I disabled multiple displays, and temps dropped about 20c within a few minutes. I guess it really needs to work quite a bit harder to power 2 displays. What do you mean coiled underneath? Remove heatsink and shove it underneath? I was thinking I could turn it 180 degrees but I hate putting the locking the heatsink to the motherboard.. it requires a bit of pressure thats best dont with the motherboard out of the case. I will pull the GPU cable tighter, and see if I can run the front audio connector behind the power supply.

Id personally leave the 2 cards in. Sure, it idles higher, but the load temps wont change too much.

And yes, its true, 2 monitors does cause idle temps to jump 10-15*c on well ventilated cases. Since your case isnt very friendly to higher end parts, it makes sense yours rose 20*c.

If you didnt already sell the other 560, I would slap it back in there.

Id personally leave the 2 cards in. Sure, it idles higher, but the load temps wont change too much.

And yes, its true, 2 monitors does cause idle temps to jump 10-15*c on well ventilated cases. Since your case isnt very friendly to higher end parts, it makes sense yours rose 20*c.

If you didnt already sell the other 560, I would slap it back in there.

Temperature is the same with side panel off. The temps dont have anything to do with dual cards. 1 card by itself idles at 58C with dual monitors. Disable dual monitors, and temp drops to 38C within minutes.

I sold the second 560 because I would rather have 200 bucks in my pocket than slightly higher graphics settings.

Temperature is the same with side panel off. The temps dont have anything to do with dual cards. 1 card by itself idles at 58C with dual monitors. Disable dual monitors, and temp drops to 38C within minutes.

I sold the second 560 because I would rather have 200 bucks in my pocket than slightly higher graphics settings.

Thats makes sense. If you arent a die hard gamer, then id rather have the 200 also.

Took off the XFX tags near the plug ends from the modular cables, moved all three HDDs into the bottom caddy, removed the top caddy and mounted the M4 on top, fixed (Dremel!) the Accelero TTP heatsinks.

The largest change is what is largely unseen. I took a day to get the hidden cables all routed and grouped together. Now it all looks nice and it should be easier to add/remove cabling now.

nVcomp1.jpg

nVcomp2.jpg

Nice job, sometimes people make light of how easy it is to hide cables in newer cases but that looks like it took a good deal of work.

Thanks!

It took a bit of time, of course, but not a huge amount of time. Only a couple hours or so.

I can understand the sentiment that clean cabling is easy, though. Almost all full tower cases have plenty of cutouts to route cables through and ample space between the motherboard tray and back panel to hide others. Even some mid towers have a limited amount of them. So, in comparison to the not so distant past, having clean cabling is a fairly easy thing to attain, as it requires only a bit of effort and a couple hours of time. To say that it's effortless is an overstatement of the ease, however.

Now, clean cabling in cases without any cutouts and limited space behind the mobo tray? That requires a more sizable amount of time and effort!

Nice job, sometimes people make light of how easy it is to hide cables in newer cases but that looks like it took a good deal of work.

Last edited:

Anytime i add something to mine it takes at least an hour or more to get it right. Its not as easy as it looks.

Thanks!

It took a bit of time, of course, but not a huge amount of time. Only a couple hours or so.

I can understand the sentiment that clean cabling is easy, though. Almost all full tower cases have plenty of cutouts to route cables through and ample space between the motherboard tray and back panel to hide others. Even some mid towers have a limited amount of them. So, in comparison to the not so distant past, having clean cabling is a fairly easy thing to attain, as it that requires only a bit of effort and a couple hours of time. To say that it's effortless is an overstatement of the ease, however.

Now, clean cabling in cases without any cutouts and limited space behind the mobo tray? That requires a more sizable amount of time and effort!

I generally agree--my older cases are fairly obnoxious to deal with for wire management, because there are no/barely any cutouts and not a lot of clearance between the back of the mobo tray and the side panel. New cases have a lot of exciting holes and spaces.

Either way, your wire job is awesome, and obviously took a lot of effort--nice work.

Exciting holes? What case have you got? :D

Thanks for saying so. This is my first time ever attempting to route the cables between the tray and back panel and I'm pleased overall. If only the EPS12V cable was longer so it didn't jut out like it does.

I generally agree--my older cases are fairly obnoxious to deal with for wire management, because there are no/barely any cutouts and not a lot of clearance between the back of the mobo tray and the side panel. New cases have a lot of exciting holes and spaces.

Either way, your wire job is awesome, and obviously took a lot of effort--nice work.

Back