Post your "rate my cables" here

Heat and age will cause the vinyl to stretch, shrink, shrivel, etc. and the glue to melt. It won't be pretty. :(

At least that is my experience with electrical tape. If you really want to do cable wrapping with a tape, it's best to do with a non-conductive cloth based tape than vinyl electrical tape.

I haven't noticed anything yet, The internal temp of my case is almost room temp under heavy load due to the great airflow, and i didn't use any cheap tape i used 3M 33+ most likely the best electrical tape ever.

My firewall, that I went ahead and upgraded to a Northie 3.0ghz..Running IpFire now.

firewall1.jpg

firewall2.jpg

Rat's nest of wires in the top aside, I don't think it's too bad.

This case worked well with a p3 600 running passive with an older swiftech heatsink on it, when it was running IpCop instead; One thing I sort of miss about it though, I could get everything to run in memory, and have the hdd spin down. There's probably a method to get it done with this, too...Maybe once the employment situation gets resolved, I'll look into it more..

Edit: Moved back to IpCop. Some sort of issue kept popping up in IpFire, with losing ability to connect on the web, even though the connection would never drop itself. IpCop, works pretty much as it had in the past.

Last edited:
Here is my newest build. Its in a unmodded Antec 300, though I'm looking to upgrade cases soon hopefully.

Before:
001.jpg

New Build:
013.jpg

Nicely done! Huge improvement.
The only thing I would do is rotate the fan so the fan cable is behind it as opposed to wrapping around.

Oh, and if you are in the market for a new case, Seriously consider the Fractal Designs R3. I came from an Antec 900 r1, and it made a HUGE difference.

Wow looks like the machine from the movie war game. Fantastic.

My second build :) Hopefully doing water cooling soon and getting a new psu and gpus...

anyways here it is

currentbuild.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-03-01

What score is this lol jkjk

My Windows Home Server

My pet project, pretty much complete. ......for now. :D

• 5off Seagate 2TB drives in a RAID6 array in the upper 5into3, running off an Adaptec 5805 RAID controller
  • System drive in the middle 5into3, also doubles as air intake to cool the 5805
  • Various WHS pool drives in the lower 5into3

WHSv2.3---Side.jpg

should NEVER see colored wires like that . . .get a piece of acrylic or modders mesh and cover the back of the drive bays

should NEVER see colored wires like that . . .get a piece of acrylic or modders mesh and cover the back of the drive bays

LOL

Most of the time the server lives beneath the dining room table out of sight

I don't mind the coloured cables or drive bays on view, my OCD doesn't quite reach that far. :p

Have to say as well the Antec P18x series is one of the most difficult line-up of cases to work with as far as cable management goes. It got better with the P183 but it is still nightmare-ish.

The most difficult portion was to fit the power cable for my four hard drives below... that alone took me about an hour. I basically took one SATA power cable with four connectors and measured how far apart each drive was. I then tied/looped the cable as such so that each SATA power connector is exactly the distance it needs to be to get all four drives connected. Once my cable was fashioned with its cable-ties I then connected all the four drives at once. You can briefly see what has been done on the second picture.

Some of my friends have also asked where my DVD SATA cable is - it's run between the motherboard and the panel of the case to keep things neat.

All excess PCI-E power cables for my two cards have been rolled up and tucked into the empty 2.5" and 3.5" bays to the right of the cards.

Originally I had a lot of doubts about fitting the Asus Rampage III Extreme into the Antec P183 as the motherboard is wider than standard ATX and the P183 isn't exactly the roomiest case in the world. You can see in the first picture just how tight the fitting is - this board barely fit.

Very happy with my build however, though it did take an entire day of assembly.

Haha I saw your post and I just wanted to show you what I was able to do with my old p180b. I still have the same setup to this day which I should probably upgrade soon but I always thought the cable management for this case was great. Actually that's was a huge reason why I bought the case in the first place. Everything is in there pretty solid but man it's definitely a pain to take out.

DSC012471.jpg

They said on the site that this case holds cards that are 290mm in length. I am wondering if it can hold the Asus 580 that's 292. It said ~290, so I am hoping the "~" means about. Cuz I want this case. Nice setup.

With some twisting, one guy managed to put a HD5970 in it. So yes, it will fit.

From this old Chieftec Dragon rebadge (Antec 1080 AMG) with no cable management:

Click for larger picture, if cables don't scare you:

To HAF 922 which has good cable management

Click for larger picture:

From this old Chieftec Dragon rebadge (Antec 1080 AMG) with no cable management:

Click for larger picture, if cables don't scare you:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5580/imag0040r.jpg

To HAF 922 which has good cable management

Click for larger picture:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3323/imag0096j.jpg

Nice job, especially considering that you don't have 90 degree sata connectors on the mobo. That Antec brings back memories, though. The 1080 AMG was the first case I drooled over, back in late 2002. I wanted one so bad. The door, the front USB ports, the extra fans, the cool purple fan holders, the 5.25" bay rails, and the removable hard drive cages were all like "ZOMG WOW!!!!" to me.

Nice job, especially considering that you don't have 90 degree sata connectors on the mobo. That Antec brings back memories, though. The 1080 AMG was the first case I drooled over, back in late 2002. I wanted one so bad. The door, the front USB ports, the extra fans, the cool purple fan holders, the 5.25" bay rails, and the removable hard drive cages were all like "ZOMG WOW!!!!" to me.

I still have my 1080AMG sitting my closet. That thing is so fucking beast.

run the p4 connector wire under the video card between the pci slots and the slot openings. it will get rid of that big loop you have going now.

Soooo you want us to rate your total lack of cable management? Okay, well, needs improvement I guess.

Back