Post your "rate my cables" here

awesome always wanted a video card that doubled as a HDD rack

heh i did a damn good cable job for a freind on the weekend should of taken a pic, god forbid if he ever want to put another HDD in though

Why is your GTX460 in the PCI-E x4 slot? :eek:

1 reason only. About two weeks ago, I made the mistake of putting my tower on the ground aside my desk, just under the lip on the side of the desk. God forbid I bring a glass of tea into my room and spill it on my desk and it dribbled into the top of my case onto my gfx card. GTS 250. Damn good for nothing holes on the top of the case. Cant even put a 120mm fan up there because it hits the damn RAM clamps.

Anywho, after my computer wouldnt start, i took contact cleaner and soaked my mobo, gfx card, RAM, and TV tuner. Tried putting it all back together, and it wouldnt post. So i replaced my GTS 250 with a GTX 460 and decided that I wasnt going to risk putting the new card into the x16 slot because the older card wouldnt boot in it and i just didnt want to take the risk.

If someone thinks it wont hurt anything to try and put the new card in the x16 slot, let me know.

What did I learn?
No drinks at my battle station.
No towers on the floor.
and NO drinks at my battle station (redundancy is key)

Welp, I took a gamble, and it turns out that nothing was the matter with my PCI-e x16 slot. I moved my GTX460 back into its rightful place and the box started right back up just had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

Those Antec 900s are probably one of the hardest cases to work with. I hated mine. Good idea with the case upgrade.

Agree, though i don't have a window on mine or any optical drives so plenty of air gets through and i cant see the mess :p Upgrading the case as soon as i can get the NZXT H2

Already posted in the FT02 topic, but just found this via the front page.

Front:

Back:

More: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037004640&postcount=2349

I'm pretty happy with how things look from the front, but feel like the back should be cleaner. I think that's about as tidy as it can be with what I have though.

Due to the layout used in the FT02, and the lack of space behind the motherboard (that 24-pin cable only just fits) some cables need to be longer than usual and others could really do with being shorter. I wish I could have found shorter black SATA cables for example. I ran out and had to use a red one too, but it's hidden from the front at least.

Short of doing completely custom cables that are individually sleeved and cut to length, I'm not sure how I could have got it any tidier inside. I'm really glad that I bought those NZXT extensions for the 24-pin, PCI-E and SATA power, because it would have been a mess otherwise.

If I had clips to screw into the case (why are they not supplied with them?) I could possibly have run the main power cables horizontally without the extensions, but I would have ended up with a lot of slack on some of them, and that 24-pin connector is so inflexible I think it would have put a lot of strain on the motherboard.

The funny thing is, while a modular power supply leaves you with a lot less cable clutter to deal with, I actually think that a non-modular looks better from the front. (this was my first modular PSU) I look forward to the day when someone releases a PSU where the cables come out the side, going straight to the back of the case with nothing visible from the front. It wouldn't work in all cases, but surely there's a market for it.

I'm really disappointed that Silverstone didn't sleeve all the cables in the case considering the cost, and I still need to do something about that CPU fan cable.

5099032374_a6d68130ba_b.jpg

Here's my latest build in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT, still waiting for black nzxt premium psu cables though.

153.JPG

and my earlier HAF-X build:

002.JPG

Came here from the front page because I saw one case with 2xATI vid cards in Xfire and it has 2 Xfire connectors attached. Thought you only need one?

Came here from the front page because I saw one case with 2xATI vid cards in Xfire and it has 2 Xfire connectors attached. Thought you only need one?

Only need one, but I think running 2 won't hurt it. It has the 2 connectors so that you can do tri-fire and have the middle card connect to both other cards.

My current home server. Doesn't look quite as nice now since both bottom HDs are hooked up to the onboard SATA so I had to run a cable across the board to the addon card. Plus I added a PATA drive for some more space.

Have to say as well the Antec P18x series is one of the most difficult line-up of cases to work with as far as cable management goes. It got better with the P183 but it is still nightmare-ish.

The most difficult portion was to fit the power cable for my four hard drives below... that alone took me about an hour. I basically took one SATA power cable with four connectors and measured how far apart each drive was. I then tied/looped the cable as such so that each SATA power connector is exactly the distance it needs to be to get all four drives connected. Once my cable was fashioned with its cable-ties I then connected all the four drives at once. You can briefly see what has been done on the second picture.

Some of my friends have also asked where my DVD SATA cable is - it's run between the motherboard and the panel of the case to keep things neat.

All excess PCI-E power cables for my two cards have been rolled up and tucked into the empty 2.5" and 3.5" bays to the right of the cards.

Originally I had a lot of doubts about fitting the Asus Rampage III Extreme into the Antec P183 as the motherboard is wider than standard ATX and the P183 isn't exactly the roomiest case in the world. You can see in the first picture just how tight the fitting is - this board barely fit.

Very happy with my build however, though it did take an entire day of assembly.

I have looked through a few pages of this, I'm going to take pics and post them soon but i want to share something i did to save time and money. I "sleeved" my PSU wires in Electrical tape and it doesn't look to bad and it binds them tight and thin. Why has no one else done this?

I have looked through a few pages of this, I'm going to take pics and post them soon but i want to share something i did to save time and money. I "sleeved" my PSU wires in Electrical tape and it doesn't look to bad and it binds them tight and thin. Why has no one else done this?

All i can say, is god help you when you have to remove the tape to change the layout or components. Even the best electrical tape leaves a pain in the rear residue over everything.

All i can say, is god help you when you have to remove the tape to change the layout or components. Even the best electrical tape leaves a pain in the rear residue over everything.
??? I don't know what your talking about why would i have to remove it to change layout its wrapped only around the cables, when the PSU is out of the case i seperate the cables for the pci-e plug and start at the psu and twist it around.

I thought you meant you had wrapped all the cables into one bundle, then split them out to the various things.

I did the same thing to my old PSU in my last build. As wra18th said, the end starts to unravel after some time. I managed to just put another small piece of tape on the side of the cable facing the motherboard tray to keep it down. But it definitely makes a mess if you ever remove it. If the mess underneath doesn't bother you, and you can keep that end from coming up, then it's a nice solution for someone who doesn't have the time/patience for sleeving.

I don't plan on having this PSU much longer, Its only a 6 year 430 watt. When i get a new PSU it will be Modular and ill hide the wires. there is plenty of room, But current lengths of wires is keeping me from it. ill get a pic soon.

Just swapped everything over to a Lian Li A05N. I need to get some sleeving for the case cables. I love the case except for the complete lack of cable management, not even a few zip tie points. I also think I prefer the inside to be black rather than silver...

IMG_20110415_234502.jpg

IMG_20110415_234309.jpg

Back:
IMG_20110415_234231.jpg

Heat and age will cause the vinyl to stretch, shrink, shrivel, etc. and the glue to melt. It won't be pretty. :(

At least that is my experience with electrical tape. If you really want to do cable wrapping with a tape, it's best to do with a non-conductive cloth based tape than vinyl electrical tape.

Back