Post your "rate my cables" here

White cable sleeving, would love to hear some feedback on how it could be improved if possible

internalswhite.jpg

backofcasewhite.jpg

externalwhite.jpg

You should have wrapped the cables in electrical tape first, or painted them so they didn't all look grey. Also what is with the heat shrink on those cables? its way too long.

case in point, my build:

mg6675.jpg

mg7336.jpg

mg7358.jpg

never thought about wrapping the cables, was a first attempt to sleeve the individual cables so i assume with time i'll get the cable length right and heat shrink length shorter.

Interior1.jpg

Got the bug to re-do my cables this weekend. Corsair cables are such a bitch to deal with since they are so rigid and wide, due to their flatness.

The back is a mess, which you can see kind of behind the HD trays, might tidy that area later on. The problem is the 2x 3 4 pin cables on the VX550, they take up a lot of real estate. Could use some suggestions.

12146682.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

That's my current setup. This shows a notch I took out of the upper horizontal rail that holds the mobo tray into the case for better cable management:
DSC_0114.jpg

Looks pretty clean. Did you just use a dremel tool for that? I got a dremel for my birthday, and so I'd like to know what people are doing in order to do good dremel work.

Looks pretty clean. Did you just use a dremel tool for that? I got a dremel for my birthday, and so I'd like to know what people are doing in order to do good dremel work.

That's all you need, well that and the accessory bit for the cutting discs... I made a similar cut on my case two weeks ago, plus a cutout hole to install the bolt-thru heatsink without removing the motherboard... I don't think I used more than three cutting discs and I used the cheapest/smallest ones, on a steel case. Just take it slow so you can be precise, do it outside, and wear eye protection... That fine metal dust from the cutting goes everywhere, canned air blows it right out tho.

He painted the inside of the case black too, came out very nice... I'd like to do that but I don't have the time or patience right now.

That's all you need, well that and the accessory bit for the cutting discs... I made a similar cut on my case two weeks ago, plus a cutout hole to install the bolt-thru heatsink without removing the motherboard... I don't think I used more than three cutting discs and I used the cheapest/smallest ones, on a steel case. Just take it slow so you can be precise, do it outside, and wear eye protection... That fine metal dust from the cutting goes everywhere, canned air blows it right out tho.

He painted the inside of the case black too, came out very nice... I'd like to do that but I don't have the time or patience right now.

I've got some cutting discs, but what accessory bit are you referring to? It's hopefully in the kit i got...

Thanks for the response btw.

If you bought an accessory pack with serval types of discs you probably have it... If you just bought a small tub of discs I dunno. Some models come with it, mine didn't... I dunno what they call it, it's just a bit with a flat screw on the end so you can actually fasten the cutting wheel to the Dremel (screw holds disc down against the bit).

I recently did a little upgrade... I bought a MSI HD6870 Twin Frozr II.

I finaly succeded to resolve the pictures problem, thanks to a friend :)

mg7281.jpg

mg7274.jpg

mg7267z.jpg

mg7269a.jpg

mg7268a.jpg

mg7270f.jpg

mg7267a.jpg

Last edited:
I recently did a little upgrade... I bought a MSI HD6870 Twin Frozr II.

snip

damn that looks awesome! i think i prefer that to even an 800D or something with rubber wiring grommits. is it completely silent at 2d clocks? how quiet while gaming? excellent work.

wow, looks very clean.
i'm running an silenced system as well (not as clean as yours though ;) ), care to explain the build a bit ?

If you bought an accessory pack with serval types of discs you probably have it... If you just bought a small tub of discs I dunno. Some models come with it, mine didn't... I dunno what they call it, it's just a bit with a flat screw on the end so you can actually fasten the cutting wheel to the Dremel (screw holds disc down against the bit).

Yes I used a dremel and it came with the bit that Impulse is referring to. I'm sure you got it with yours and you should be golden! I did a rough cut then used the sander wheel bit to smooth it out (which was done after the picture I posted was taken).

I am wanting to extend my hiper PSU wires as the main 24 pin is short. Kind of scared to unsleeve and the cut/extend/solder wires..

• Windows Home Server v1
• "Space" for 15 hard drives, though only 6 are connected. I will add a HBA (host bus adapter) when the 7th drive is required
• Server was built to be low (electrical) power and low noise
• Wall plug power draw is ~65W idle
• Case is a Coolermaster RC-590
• Drive modules are Supermicro CSE-M35TQB with the fan changed to a quieter unit. The standard fan moves ALOT of air, but sounds like a jet engine. Temps with the replacement fan are fine.

• Case needed "modification" to fit the Supermicro 5into3 modules
• Even considering that, a very good WHS case
• The upper two 140mm fan cut-outs are pointless as the mobo PSU cables do not permit fan
• Still, the holes allow heat to rise out of the case

• Top 5into3 isn't "plumbed in" yet.
• PSU is up-side-down so as to not pull fluff and dust into the case
WHSv2.2---inside.jpg

• The two 140mm fans pull cool filtered air into the case
• The lower one, handily is well positioned to cool my RAID card (when installed)
WHSv2.2---rear-side.jpg

• Those tabs are just asking to be filed off. :p
• The two un-connected molex power connectors are ready for the upper 5into3 module
WHSv2.2---front-inside.jpg

I need a bigger sheet of white paper!!!

Last edited:
Coolermaster RC-590

Case needed "modification" to fit the Supermicro 5into3 modules
Even considering that, a very good WHS case
The upper two 140mm fan cut-outs are pointless as the mobo PSU cables do not permit fan
Still, the holes allow heat to rise out of the case

Top 5into3 isn't "plumbed in" yet.
PSU is up-side-down so as to not pull fluff and dust into the case
WHSv2.2---inside.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what board and cpu are you using? I've always wanted a MicroAXT board with 3 or 4 PCI-E x8 slots for a file server.

If you don't mind me asking, what board and cpu are you using? I've always wanted a MicroAXT board with 3 or 4 PCI-E x8 slots for a file server.

The board is a Supermicro X8SIL-F and the CPU is an Intel i3-530.

The server runs WHS v1, so doesn't require much "grunt"

The X8SIL-F is pretty much the perfect "small scale" server motherboard.

Consider instead the soon to be released socket1155 Supermicro X9SCM-F

Both of these motherboards user server chipsets and have server features.

I really need to put some black sleeving around the exposed cables, but other than that I'm rather happy with this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Wow, if that's only a 1/10 mine must be in the negatives. If you think that's bad cabling you should try it in an mATX tower. Not so easy. Here's mine anyway, like I said, it's not easy in a case this small.

IMAG0026.jpg

damn that looks awesome! i think i prefer that to even an 800D or something with rubber wiring grommits. is it completely silent at 2d clocks? how quiet while gaming? excellent work.
Yes, at 2.00 AM with windows closed when is perfect silence in the room, is very silent. Is inaudible @1m. While gaming is acceptable silent regarding the fact that the 2 fans on MSI card are set on a custom fan speed curve.

Just because there's a 120mm grill doesnt mean a 120mm fan has to go there. That 80mm fan that's on there moves more air than a lot of the 120mm ones I've used in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just because there's a 120mm grill doesnt mean a 120mm fan has to go there. That 80mm fan that's on there moves more air than a lot of the 120mm ones I've used in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually, yes it does, because it's not 1999 anymore. If that 80mm moves more air than the 120mms you're using, one of two things is going on here:
1. your 120mm fans are horrible
2. that 80mm fan is loud as hell
Or some combination of the above.

Actually, yes it does, because it's not 1999 anymore. If that 80mm moves more air than the 120mms you're using, one of two things is going on here:

Who cares? It's his computer.

Who cares? It's his computer.

My guess is that is all he had laying around. I remember doing the same thing with an Antec Solo since I didn't have a 92mm fan for the front fan position, I just taped up a 80mm fan I had laying around.

Actually its not loud, my 120mm fan is not horrible and who gives a shit? If you don't like it don't read the thread, or don't comment on my picture. My computer runs just fine. And yes, 80mm fans are obsolete, I forgot. Thanks for the enlightenment. :rolleyes: If it wasn't supposed to be there, Coolermaster probably wouldn't have taken the time to drill the screw holes for it.

Back