Post your "rate my cables" here

I get so tired of people showing uber clean pics, but fail to have certain cables plugged in. Hook up your optical drives, people.

I get so tired of people thinking they know everything and what's going on in the case. I use the optical drive when I install the OS. That's it. Got a problem with me leaving it there cuz I'm too lazy to unscrew 4 screws and replace it with a cover? Too bad. That's what the build looks like it's running right now, with the optical drive unplugged :(:(:( Sorry my system it's not tailored to your specifications. Wahh wahh wahh.

I get so tired of people thinking they know everything and what's going on in the case. I use the optical drive when I install the OS. That's it. Got a problem with me leaving it there cuz I'm too lazy to unscrew 4 screws and replace it with a cover? Too bad. That's what the build looks like it's running right now, with the optical drive unplugged :(:(:( Sorry my system it's not tailored to your specifications. Wahh wahh wahh.

QFT. Why leave cables plugged in if they aren't needed?

QFT. Why leave cables plugged in if they aren't needed?

I'm betting on a response that says "Why leave stuff in when they're not needed", in which I'll reply so would-be posters can save their breath: "cuz some of us are lazy and can't be bothered, so deal with it." :) I'll take it out once I fill up the 3.5" bays and require the 5.25" to be converted, until then, nope not worth the time to take it out.

I'm betting on a response that says "Why leave stuff in when they're not needed", in which I'll reply so would-be posters can save their breath: "cuz some of us are lazy and can't be bothered, so deal with it." :) I'll take it out once I fill up the 3.5" bays and require the 5.25" to be converted, until then, nope not worth the time to take it out.

So what do you do when you want to install software from a CD? PLug it in? Networked Drive?

I get so tired of people showing uber clean pics, but fail to have certain cables plugged in. Hook up your optical drives, people.

if that post was directed towards me, all of my components are plugged in including the optical drive.

if that post was directed towards me, all of my components are plugged in including the optical drive.

Yours is obviously connected, he's talking to lowteck in which he responded he leave it unplugged because he does not need it all the time if you bothered to read the thread :D

USB optical drive?

Why use that when you can just leave your internal drive connected.

Nothing against you personally Omega but this argument is full of fail.

There is being clean with organized cables and having it look nice... But then there is being OCD about looks over function.

Besides who wants to reconnect a cable all the time to use an optical drive just so the case can look extra pretty? Talk about waste of time/effort for something as silly as this.

/rant

There is being clean with organized cables and having it look nice... But then there is being OCD about looks over function.

Besides who wants to reconnect a cable all the time to use an optical drive just so the case can look extra pretty? Talk about waste of time/effort for something as silly as this.

/rant

I agree, but I don't notice too many people who do that...

/rant

its not full of fail if you dont have an internal drive at all. I was mainly posting it from that view point.

3329420856_d8ec18457e_o.jpg

3328589175_dd477ef585_o.jpg

I get so tired of people thinking they know everything and what's going on in the case. I use the optical drive when I install the OS. That's it.
Just curious, what do you do with the third hard drive? You have three hdd's but I only see two sata cables connected to the mobo. Do you use it only for occasional backups?

A friend of mine doesn't have an optical drive at all anymore. Another friend did the same thing after he saw how much less annoying not having one is. I on the other hand find an internal drive more convenient for loading software/games than a USB. I'd plug a floppy in if I had a working one! As for the cable getting in the way, it's really a non issue for a stacker. :p

A friend of mine doesn't have an optical drive at all anymore. Another friend did the same thing after he saw how much less annoying not having one is. I on the other hand find an internal drive more convenient for loading software/games than a USB. I'd plug a floppy in if I had a working one! As for the cable getting in the way, it's really a non issue for a stacker. :p

I agree internal is better. I only posted the USB thing as an option that some people use.

Just curious, what do you do with the third hard drive? You have three hdd's but I only see two sata cables connected to the mobo. Do you use it only for occasional backups?

I see three... look closer between the two with black connectors... there's a red connector.

I see three... look closer between the two with black connectors... there's a red connector.

+1. It's there between the 2 black ones.

Lowtech, great fanless build! At first i was like 'uhhh whhattt?" then, i say that it was SUPPOSE to be like that *headesk* Looking great man!

Im going to post a picture of an empty case. My cabling skills are leetsauce.

edit: Wahh wahh wahh :rolleyes:

Srsly? People are still going on about the Optical drive (from the other page). I said I use the optical drive for OS installation only. Get over it, how many installations does WHS require? @lloose, is my case empty? No, so shut up. You guys are ridiculous, I could have 8 drives in there with 1 not connected and people would still bitch. We just can't keep posting pics without some bozos whining can we?

lowteckh, there's one you gotta understand.. when you're the only one posting pics of unplugged optical drives in a huge thread like this, you're gonna draw some attention to yourself. Afterall, this is the 'rate my cables' thread, people sort of expect to see cables for all the components in the case, no matter how good they are hidden...

Im going to post a picture of an empty case. My cabling skills are leetsauce.

edit: Wahh wahh wahh :rolleyes:
You haven't even posted a picture of your pc in this gallery. If it bothers you so much to see a "fake" wiring job, let's see how well your pc is wired up. Until then, stfu or gtfo. You've "rated", he has responded. Move on people.

Respect to donnrfl for some of the cleanest cabling this thread has seen in a while. If that sort of perfection can really be achieved in a few hours, I must be doing something wrong.

Wrt the optical drive "debate", I suppose there is a certain logic to unplugging a device if you don't use it often enough to justify the time it would take to wire it up neatly. But this is the "Rate my cables" thread, so leaving a major component unplugged is likely to be viewed more as a cheat than a demonstration of your cable-fu. Afterall, you're being rated against people like donnrfl who do plug everything in and still achieve a very tidy case.

All that being said, I do have to admit that lowteckh did a fine job on his wiring, optical drive cable or no. He should just post a pic with everything plugged in and shut all of us up.;)

Just yank it out and tell 'em you're using a shared optical over the network for the occasional music CD rip... That's all I ever use mine for anymore 'sides games. The only things I ever install off a CD are Windows and Office when setting a new system up, MS should offer the option of shipping Windows 7 in flash drives for even speedier installs! :p

Just yank it out and tell 'em you're using a shared optical over the network for the occasional music CD rip... That's all I ever use mine for anymore 'sides games. The only things I ever install off a CD are Windows and Office when setting a new system up, MS should offer the option of shipping Windows 7 in flash drives for even speedier installs! :p

Good point. I suppose if you can figure out a way to eliminate a device and its wires from your computer without sacrificing convenience or functionality, it could, in fact, be considered a form of cable management. I use e-sata for that purpose-- why should my processor and GPUs be forced to share the same space as a bunch of heat-generating, airflow-blocking HDDs? Still, I think I would tend to lean toward giving a higher rating to those with more cables to manage, as long as the cables were all there for a reason.

Very clean cases. I appreciate any suggestions for mine that don't require cutting anymore holes.

aftereax.jpg

Well... You're gunna need to cut some holes.

Nah I'm kidding. Just try tucking the ide cables and sata cables underneath the drive bays.

Well... You're gunna need to cut some holes.

Nah I'm kidding. Just try tucking the ide cables and sata cables underneath the drive bays.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I seriously hate my ide cable but it's an ancient hard drive that I want to put to good use.

@epicjas0n

Getting a round IDE cable would help, but getting a sata drive would be ideal.

Overall, it looks very good considering what case you are using.

All I'm saying is that it annoys me when people post pics of their rigs with bare minimum configs. AKA only 1 case fan, no cold cathode cables, only 1 hard drive, etc. It's not directed at anyone in particular, I'm just stating my sentiment. Sorry, I just think its easy to be phony in here.

@epicjas0n

Getting a round IDE cable would help, but getting a sata drive would be ideal. Overall, it looks very good considering what case you are using.

Flat ribbon cables are far far easier to hide (if you are trying to hide them) than thick rounded cables. Ribbon cables are easier to bend and fold and tuck into tight spaces. However if hiding it is an impossibility and you need to have a large section exposed, then yeah, the rounded one might look better.

Personally I think the two strips of tapes over epicjas0n's IDE cable are just making it look more ghetto than it needs to, heh.

If you just fold it and run it parallel to the case at all times it'll look neater and you can probably get away w/o using the tape. You could fold it down, under the mobo, then make a right angle under the mobo still, and pull it out near the drive or something. Could get a shorter single-connector cable too. Or maybe moving that IDE drive down to the bottom...

All I'm saying is that it annoys me when people post pics of their rigs with bare minimum configs. AKA only 1 case fan, no cold cathode cables, only 1 hard drive, etc. It's not directed at anyone in particular, I'm just stating my sentiment. Sorry, I just think its easy to be phony in here.

Lol, then i failed by your criteria :(. No lights :D :

insidefi0.jpg

Soon one more hard drive, 2 more memory modules and a new front intake panel (aka replacing BZ-502B for BZ-502A). And a newer, updated picture - in meantime i already replaced the noisy 14cm bottom intake with 12cm fan and put another 12cm after drives.

PS: Sorry for bad picture quality.

What if that is all they have anyways? If that's all they are running with then what is the problem?

Back