Post Your Q6600 G0 Overclocks w/ voltage

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I just ordered a Q6600 G0 stepping and it should be here on Monday. I plan on overclocking on water. (MCR220+MCR320 going into my new TJ07 :D LOL) Im not sure if there is another thread like this but I wanted everything consolidated in one thread. Im sure it will give others a general idea of where to start overclocking.

Anyways, I wanted to get an idea of what overclocks everyone was getting and at what voltage.

so....

CPU speed =
voltage =

thanks!!!

lol i was hoping for one of these threads lol

Ip35 pro.
Q6600 G0 stepping
2gb Kingston ddr2-800 @ 5-5-5-25

CPU @ 2.8ghz
Volt- 1.225

all on Stock intel

q6600 G0 at 3.2ghz 1.35v under Tuniq Tower in silent mode, max core temp is 67c and max bios temp is 43c.... I am very happy with the machine, orthos stable and a huge upgrade over my stock e6400!!!!!!

I've been making my own little database of what my G0 chip can do by letting some overclocks run while I sleep, or while I'm temporarily away. I want to what exactly my chip can do - and under what conditions it can do it at. I'm working on minimizing my voltages for certain settings that way if I ever feel like changing my overclock I'll know exactly what to set. This is what I've currently got so far. The first two overclocks are minimized, the rest I'm not sure yet.

chart2wj7.jpg

I'm still working on a stable 3.6GHz point. At 1.3750V (same as I had 3510MHz stable) I had prime fail roughly two hours into the test.

3195MHz = current 24/7 setting.

Edit: I've got some warm days ago which should push my ambient to 80F+, so I'll get to simulate summertime conditions and see how certain settings do then. Lately it has been rainy, cloudy, and anywhere from 65F-75F outside... but that's about the come to an end. But hey, cooler months are ahead. :) Can't wait to go all out when that temperature drops to 30F outside.

My G0 is good for 3.0Ghz @ 1.16Vcore, 3.6 @ 1.36, and 4Ghz was done @ 1.62 but that was before my 680i was Vdrop/Vdroop modded. Major difference in how it responds to voltage now. Will be redoing my run soon to see what I can do 4ghz at. Waiting for the X38 to really see what I can do with this killer G0 ;)

3.2ghz, 400 x 8 multi, 1.275V under stock cooler for now, thermalright extreme on the way. ram below stock for now at 800mhz.

I had mine at 3.8GHz w/ 1.475 bios air cooled.

I dropped it down to 3.375GHz w/ 1.275 bios because I want the chip to last.

I had mine at 3.8GHz w/ 1.475 bios air cooled.

I dropped it down to 3.375GHz w/ 1.275 bios because I want the chip to last.

I have pounded chips with voltage for more than 2 years and never once have I experienced electron migration, tunneling or sudden silicon death. If it is cooled well and voltage is with in suggested tolreances, you will be fine.

To give a few examples, I ran 1.7v to my FX-53 for more than 2 years on my old waterloop. I have run 1.65v to my X4400 for well over a year on water and it is now giving me a great OC on air in my HTPC. My E6400 that did 3.64Ghz on water for well over a year on 1.48v on water and sold it and it is doing great still.

running mine @ 3.0 with 1.200v's

also has proven 3.45 with 1.45, but i like the temps and quite

I'm at 2.9 GHz now and vcore is 1.376 v. But i'm not done yet, I'm hoping for more.

My mobo is p35-dq6 and i have voltage auto optimization enabled in the BIOS

Q6600 @ 3.3GHz (366.7x9) 1.4125v
Tuniq Tower cooling it

RAM at 800MHz (4-4-3-5-2T)

This EVGA 650i has some serious voltage droop.

Here is a link to my OC and Temps this is with speedfan modified to show correct temps changed the $0 on ISA setting to 15 in advanced settings, rig setup in my sig. The load temps only go to about 40c.

my.php

:cool::D

Q6600 G0 Stepping, watercooled

Still tweaking, but currently 100% stable (Prime 95 & Orthos multi hour runs)

3.375Ghz (375x9) @ 1.475V (BIOS)

Q6600 3.0ghz@ 1.22v, I originally set it to default but that drew a 1.31vcore from my board and much higher temps so I dropped it down to 1.15 and that didn't even get me into windows so trial and error got me to 1.22v. :cool:

I have pounded chips with voltage for more than 2 years and never once have I experienced electron migration, tunneling or sudden silicon death. If it is cooled well and voltage is with in suggested tolreances, you will be fine.

To give a few examples, I ran 1.7v to my FX-53 for more than 2 years on my old waterloop. I have run 1.65v to my X4400 for well over a year on water and it is now giving me a great OC on air in my HTPC. My E6400 that did 3.64Ghz on water for well over a year on 1.48v on water and sold it and it is doing great still.
The temperatures were really worrying me, I was loading high 60's in CS:S.

Mmm... I seriously need a "Overclocking for noobs on ________ motherboard" guide. Fill-in spot being my motherboard.
Or at least an easy(er) guide to understand basics of overclocking, which I can't seem to find.

I tried to up the clock in BIOS but turns out there's only the Bus Speed clock.

Boy am I confused. Lend a hand?

Mmm... I seriously need a "Overclocking for noobs on ________ motherboard" guide. Fill-in spot being my motherboard.
Or at least an easy(er) guide to understand basics of overclocking, which I can't seem to find.

Have you tried pressing CTRL+F1? I think that should bring up the menu you want.

Greenman, try this
DSC02862.jpg

The temperatures were really worrying me, I was loading high 60's in CS:S.

Why would high 60C temps worry you? With a stock cooler your idle temps can be in the 50C range. These chips get a lot hotter than you think running in OEM systems with minimal cooling, stuffed under office desks, and never cleaned. High 60C is nothing.

Why would high 60C temps worry you? With a stock cooler your idle temps can be in the 50C range. These chips get a lot hotter than you think running in OEM systems with minimal cooling, stuffed under office desks, and never cleaned. High 60C is nothing.
OK, I will attempt to overclock more once I do the "penny mod" to my Ultra 120 extreme. Mine is really easy to just slide around.

Probably the best quote I have read on this forum all year.

Freq: 3.6ghz
Voltage: 1.425v (in bios) and 1.39 actual.

forget about the penny mod...look at my mod on the overclocking and cooling forum.

Greenman, try this
DSC02862.jpg
Thanks!

Froze & restarted in windows, so I switched the voltage from manual to auto like BIOS recommended in it's warnings, is that fine?
I think I'll need to bring it down to 3.0 if not less. Using OCCT and at 71C the PC beeps, SpeedFan and TAT both take a long time to refresh temp and such stats.

3.2 - 1.328 v

I'm pretty new to OC'ing, so what should I bring it down to from 3.2 which runs at about 46 idle?

Your limit is going to be either your RAM or your cooling at this point. Setting the voltage to Auto will give you way too much voltage in some instances and you'll be using much more power and generating more heat than if you manually tested for a stable voltage.

Set everything in that screen image of the bios, but raise the voltage to 1.425v and set the FSB to 356FSB with a multiplier of 9. Also manually set the RAM to the lowest multiplier available.

Increase your FSB voltage +0.15, and your MCH voltage to +0.1 Set your ram voltage to +0.2. Make sure you disable C1E and the other CPU options while you're working on getting it semi-stable.

If you can post, then test from there, but be very weary of temps, as you'll be running at 3.2ghz. If it is stable there, start by lowering the CPU voltage down a bit and retry. I'd honestly not test Prime95 more than a few minutes until you hit a point where its bootable into windows but will give an early error in stress testing. Voltage for the FSB, RAM, and CPU are your factors right now for stability. Temps are another factor concerning your CPU and its reliability. Make sure it doesn't exceed 70C.

Let me know how it goes.

Set everything in that screen image of the bios, but raise the voltage to 1.425v and set the FSB to 356FSB with a multiplier of 9. Also manually set the RAM to the lowest multiplier available.
FSB is the "CPU Host Frequency(Mhz)", right?
And the multiplier meaning "CPU Clock Ratio"?
And the RAM is the "SPD", correct? (lowest is 2.00)

Make sure you disable C1E and the other CPU options while you're working on getting it semi-stable.
C1E? First time I hear of such thing.

If you can post, then test from there, but be very weary of temps, as you'll be running at 3.2ghz. If it is stable there, start by lowering the CPU voltage down a bit and retry. I'd honestly not test Prime95 more than a few minutes until you hit a point where its bootable into windows but will give an early error in stress testing. Voltage for the FSB, RAM, and CPU are your factors right now for stability. Temps are another factor concerning your CPU and its reliability. Make sure it doesn't exceed 70C.

Let me know how it goes.
What is post?

The temps seem to be my biggest factor. If I understood what you said correctly, I am still getting almost the same temps with those modifications. Probably less than a degree than I had from that screen image.

FSB is the "CPU Host Frequency(Mhz)", right?
And the multiplier meaning "CPU Clock Ratio"?
And the RAM is the "SPD", correct? (lowest is 2.00)

Yes.

C1E? First time I hear of such thing.

Its a voltage regulation option sort of like speedstep. Its in the second (forgot the name) menu from the top left. Disable as many of the CPU options as you can, "virtualization", "EIST", etc.

What is post?

Power On Self Test. Its a hardware check your BIOS runs and confirms with that little *beep* a second or two after your boot your machine. Its basically the first state of stability you can quantify while modifying your computer's Bios settings.

The temps seem to be my biggest factor. If I understood what you said correctly, I am still getting almost the same temps with those modifications. Probably less than a degree than I had from that screen image.

Well, I'd seriously consider using a set Voltage, as AUTO will usually not be the optimal setting.

chanchan: Prime 95 v.25.4 makes life easier for guys with Quad cores.

There's also a beta version of CPUz available that does a better job of reporting core voltages on most boards.

Pretty much finished tweaking finally. Happy with the result. :D

3.6Ghz (400x9) @ 1.525V (BIOS)

Stable (5 hour Prime 95 & dual Orthos runs)

I can also bench at 3.7Ghz, but it's not fully stable there without raising the voltage even higher... which I don't want to do.

3.6Ghz on a quad is PLENTY. :D

Pretty much finished tweaking finally. Happy with the result. :D

3.6Ghz (400x9) @ 1.525V (BIOS)

Stable (5 hour Prime 95 & dual Orthos runs)

I can also bench at 3.7Ghz, but it's not fully stable there without raising the voltage even higher... which I don't want to do.

3.6Ghz on a quad is PLENTY. :D

nice oc. I can't bench at 3.6

nice oc. I can't bench at 3.6

Thanks! Temps aren't that great when running an uber load though.

Here's what the cores look like temp wise at idle and after being hammered with a Prime95 load for about 20 minutes with small FFT's:

CPU_Temps.jpg

I just lapped the CPU last night and I figure those temps will settle a little once the Artic Silver 5 has had a chance to set.

Prime95 (version 25.4) running small FFT's is a complete monster as far as core loads go - I doubt I'll ever run anything that harsh on my PC. For example, Orthos only drives the cores up to around 61C and for most games, they hover in the low to mid 50's. Perfectly acceptable to me as my PC is primarily a gaming rig.

Supercharged_Z06: I noticed something interesting about your temps.

On a Quad Core the 4 cores are located straight across the chip. What CoreTemp reports as #0 and #3 are the cores on the outside farthest from the center and cores #1 and #2 are closest to the center. Your temperatures seem to show that the heat transfer at the center is working much better than on the edges. I think if you reapply some AS5 you might get some more consistent temps between all 4 cores.

What worked best for me was drawing a line of AS5 like their directions say and then smearing it into a rectangular area directly over top of where the cores lay beneath. I think the two outside cores are a little closer to the edge of the IHS than most people realize.

This article has a good picture you can click on to see exactly how the cores are positioned.
http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Launches+Core+2+Extreme+QX6800/article6838.htm

Nice OC by the way, even if your chip does get a little warm. :cool:

Back