Post your Phenom II and Sempron unlock or failed unlock results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSI 785G-E65 mATX plus Phenom II X2 550 BE

0940FPMW, just got it from Newegg (90.99 - ~1.90 Bing CB)

no time to overclock or figure out sweet spot (first week of college, and using stock heatsink/fan)

works so far?... still need more testing (weekend... so don't add this to the list yet)

(disabled Quiet n cool, enable ACC AUTO, enabled Unlock CPU Cores)tried to set vcore to 1.370v... too much, it didn't boot... then set it to 1.350v, it boots into Ubuntu and CPU-G report AMD Phenom II X4 B50 processor at 3114.495Mhz.... can't install windows yet because i stupidly set my 1TB HDD to GPT instead of MBR... need to reformat... haven't yet stressed the system...

Last edited:
x3 720 2.8GHZ @ 1.312v _not going to overclock

Ran Intelburn test 2.4 3times 10 test each - Passed
Running Prime95 for 8 Hours - Still testing at the moment.

Well this is my HTpc Chip Id though id push it some on my 790X UD4P..

Works like a charm ..My next victom will be 555.

AnotherSweetX2_435_3900mhz.jpg

Well this is my HTpc Chip Id though id push it some on my 790X UD4P..

Works like a charm ..My next victom will be 555.

AnotherSweetX2_435_3900mhz.jpg

what heatsink did you use? i need to get one for my 550BE, looking amazon's Cooler Master RR-910-HTX3-G1 for $15....

was going to return this 550 BE and wait for the 555, but that probably will be at MSRP($99, $10 more than mine right now) and there isn't enough "newess" for me to pause

Stable at 3.2ghz,but with 1.45V.Heat is not a major issue.have not played with HT nor have I pushed beyound 3.2ghz.On a 20" monitor I see no reason to.I consider my unlock to be successful.:)
side note:How do I get my desktop to display information as others have?

Anyone bought a recently new X2 550BE?

Just curious if there are any C3 steppings for X2 550BE.

Well I never. Couldnt work out how to get the 720 to 'unlock' (as mentioned in a earlier post) then I read the current article on AMD CPUs on Anand and recalled the bit on setting ACC to Hybrid. I had tried every other setting but Hybrid. Why I didnt try that I dont know.

Thats what I did and hey presto I now have a quad core running nice and stable at 3Ghz.

AMD Overdrive now notes the core temp as -256C though.

Well I never. Couldnt work out how to get the 720 to 'unlock' (as mentioned in a earlier post) then I read the current article on AMD CPUs on Anand and recalled the bit on setting ACC to Hybrid. I had tried every other setting but Hybrid. Why I didnt try that I dont know.

Thats what I did and hey presto I now have a quad core running nice and stable at 3Ghz.

AMD Overdrive now notes the core temp as -256C though.

Have the same problems.CoreTemp is 0 degrees AOD is -256.SpeedFan seems to be the most inline with what bios is showing,but only shows 3 cores.

Have the same problems.CoreTemp is 0 degrees AOD is -256.SpeedFan seems to be the most inline with what bios is showing,but only shows 3 cores.

for me, even before unlock, HWMonior's TMPIN2 matches closest to the CPU Temp in the BIOS..(TMPIN0 matches mobo temp in BIOS)... Core temps reported from any program says 20 degrees(instead of 35+ in BIOS)... googling shows that core temps are based on algorithm, not true readings... TMPIN2 is the true cpu reading... TMPIN0 is mobo temp

after unlock on idle, HWMonitor TMPIN2 shows increase in temp (5 degrees) compared to no unlock on idle (makes sense, since i upped VCore and 2 extra cores are running)... time to get a new CPU Cooler...

exchanged an open box 550 today at fry's today for an new one. Old one couldn't unlock... this one can. Running prime95 right now... 3 hours in... CPU up 4 degrees.

also got a sempron 140 from microcenter a couple months ago... that unclocks the second core as well but causes a crash reboot every restart before it works.

couldn't help myself.Sitting at [email protected] volts,stable.Just 1 problem:MB temps at 27C,start benchmark and they jump to 52C.stop benchmark and drop back to normal.all this for an addtional 100 mhz.Guess i'll stick my hand in there and find out.

ss of my BIOS page, new CPU Cooler and temps...

will try to overclock to at least 3.3 quad core after Prime95 in stable at 3.1 quad for 2+ hours...

Phenom II X2 550 BE 0940FPMW

MSI 785G-E65's Cell Menu
Disables CnQ, Enabled "Unlock CPU Core", Auto "Advanced Core Calibration"

Set VCore to 1.350 from default(1.300)

KingWin XT-1264 vs Stock AMD Cooler (size difference)

120mm vs (?)97mm?

CPU Cooler doesn't fit in my mATX case... sigh

STOCK COOLER temps after running Prime95 for 3 minutes, already reaching 65C

KingWin CPU Cooler running for at least 5minutes.... right now, running for an hour, top CPU at 47C, mobo at 38C

Prime95 at stock speeds, quad core, KingWin Cooler, 2.5 hours, stable... will do a full 24 hour once i decide what overclock speeds to stay with

CPU-Z
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=999845

Running TT Big Typhoon.Replace stock fan with a faster one.Highest temp.I have seen is about 44C.Idle,about 28C.

Last edited:
I've got a quick question. Just put my system together the other day and am getting around to messing with unlocking cores and overclocking. I have a 550be and a Asus M4a790xt evo motherboard. I was surprised when I went in that voltages and everything are all set to auto. What voltage is stock for the northbridge values? Also there are a few different northbridge voltages so I wasnt sure if I need to bump one which one I should do?

Failed unlock of an Athlon II X3 Rana core.

CPU #'s:
ADX425WFK32GI
CADAC AD 0939CPCW

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD 785G + SB710

ACC settings:
Hybrid firmware, all else auto

This is a machine I am building for work as an ESXi server so it'd be nice to get all 4 cores working but stability trumps the extra core in this case. This is my first attempt at unlocking so I could just be missing something easy. Anyone have any luck with this board or batch?

CPU #'s:
ADX425WFK32GI
CADAC AD 0939CPCW

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD 785G + SB710

ACC settings:

This is a machine I am building for work as an ESXi server so it'd be nice to get all 4 cores working but stability trumps the extra core in this case. This is my first attempt at unlocking so I could just be missing something easy. Anyone have any luck with this board or batch?

Be sure to up the CPU voltage a bit. My 550BE on the US2H didn't need it for stock speed, but it's worth trying.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Phenom_Unlocking_Guide (uses a US2H)

He recommends the northbridge voltage also (dunno about that)

Be sure to up the CPU voltage a bit. My 550BE on the US2H didn't need it for stock speed, but it's worth trying.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Phenom_Unlocking_Guide (uses a US2H)

He recommends the northbridge voltage also (dunno about that)

Didn't really even think about NB voltage adjustment. I do have all 4 memory slots populated so that could indeed be the issue here. I upped the CPU voltage +.05v as the OP suggested and turned off all power saving controls. The BIOS reports the VCore default @ 1.425v which seems a bit high to me for an x3, I would think 1.475 is more than enough if I am to get the other core working and will probably have to tone that down if I can get it working + stable because I'm running with the stock cooler. One more shot with the NB upped couldn't hurt...will report back in a few.

Update: No dice, guess I'm not the lucky winner of a free core :(

Last edited:

CPU #'s:
ADX425WFK32GI
CADAC AD 0939CPCW

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD 785G + SB710

ACC settings:

try setting to all cores this will give a little wiggle room for the cpu.I am using AOD and seem to be doing fine.3.7ghz stable.I was trying for 3.8ghz and thought I fried my machine.AOD with instructions is a tough nut to crack.

try setting to all cores this will give a little wiggle room for the cpu.I am using AOD and seem to be doing fine.3.7ghz stable.I was trying for 3.8ghz and thought I fried my machine.AOD with instructions is a tough nut to crack.

Tried setting it to All cores and doing a Per core, even with -10% on the cores and the volts cranked I can't POST. I would expect an Athlon II X3 has even less of a chance than a Phenom II since the 4th core and the L3 is disabled. Oh well.

I have had my 550BE unlocked at 3.4ghz at stock voltage on a Gigabyte GA-MA790-UD4P now for a week and it's been rock stable. I did have one question, though:

The other day I had some Windows updates install (on Win7 Ultimate) and when I restarted the processor reverted to a dual-core. I went back into the BIOS, set the proc back to Hybrid/Auto, and haven't had a hiccup since. Any explanation why?

I have had my 550BE unlocked at 3.4ghz at stock voltage on a Gigabyte GA-MA790-UD4P now for a week and it's been rock stable. I did have one question, though:

The other day I had some Windows updates install (on Win7 Ultimate) and when I restarted the processor reverted to a dual-core. I went back into the BIOS, set the proc back to Hybrid/Auto, and haven't had a hiccup since. Any explanation why?

My Gigabyte board has done that too, well during a crash or a lock up. Just the ACC setting gets reset.

My ole 550 (unlocked, [email protected]) has been chugging along for sometime now and its about to be given to the wife (bedroom htpc). I just ordered a 555, can't wait to get it. I love these lower power chips.

When I thought that I had nuke'd my system the bois had to reload and set every thing to orginal settings.Did yours do the same thing?I don't see how a update to windows would effect a bios.:confused:

It was really random, honestly. I was just working and Windows Update had been bugging me about restarting for hours. Finally I restarted and then Windows told me to restart again, as new hardware had been detected. I checked and saw I was back at an X2, but only the ACC setting was reset.

I honestly think it's a BIOS bug, and others have mentioned that some Gigabyte BIOSes are better than others for this. The updates I installed were related to MS Office, so there is no way that can influence a BIOS.

Success with a Sempron 140 and GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P BIOS F2C. Unlocked to a dual core and overclocked to 240x13.5 = 3.24ghz, Prime and OCCT stable on an OCZ Vendetta cooler. Did have to disable hibernation, because entering hibernation was problematic.

Success with a Sempron 140 and GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P BIOS F2C. Unlocked to a dual core and overclocked to 240x13.5 = 3.24ghz, Prime and OCCT stable on an OCZ Vendetta cooler. Did have to disable hibernation, because entering hibernation was problematic.

That's mighty nice on a 33.00 cpu, how many hours on dual prime?

Holy shazbot! What's the voltage on your 550?

Stock? 1.35.

It does 4Ghz stable at 1.4 (both as dual and tri -- but in case of tri, I needed to add 0.025 CPU-NB VID to be stable), but in this particular case, I was trying to break the 4.1 Ghz barrier, but never did due to BSOD and instant freezing. Ah well, I'll attempt that one when my cooling is up to standard.

I've heard that the 555 BE C3 are much more impressive than the 550 BE C2. Can't grab that one... too poor. :D

hmm i currently have my 550 running at 3.6ghz on 1.4v i cant seem to make it run stable for more than 50 minutes with 3.8ghzs is raising the cpu nb volts bad? i never really touch that besides the cpu v

whats the big difference from 555 and 550?

C2 550's are unlocked at 3.1Ghz, C3 550's are locked same speed
C3 555's are 3.2GHz

The C3 chips have a higher stock voltage (1.4v instead of like 1.3v)I think

Phenom X3 BE 720

Unlocked the 4th core

MB: DFI LanParty Jr (790GX-M3H5)
BIOS: the one from May 19th 2009

I'm thinking of picking up a 785GMT-UD2H and a x2 550 at microcenter today. The start of my build, but are my chances good at unlocking. Is there a way to check before I buy the CPU?

Also, is it possible to unlock with that mobo? Didn't see it posted in the op

Nevermind, cntrl+f on the newegg reviews and a lot of people said it unlocked their 550 be. Should've dont that first.

Last edited:
I just canceled my MC online order because they were lagging and will instead pick up this exact motherboard and a X2 555 locally.

The UD2H does support ACC/unlock because it has a 710 southbridge. Btw, I think your model numbers are off that or I'm reading it wrong, but both the DDR2 and DDR3 boards have the 710 SB. MC X2 555's seem to have good success it seems.

hmm i currently have my 550 running at 3.6ghz on 1.4v i cant seem to make it run stable for more than 50 minutes with 3.8ghzs is raising the cpu nb volts bad? i never really touch that besides the cpu v

whats the big difference from 555 and 550?

Is your 550 unlocked? If so, then yes, it would explain why you need so much voltage.

As far as I know, no 550 C2 needs 1.4+ just for 3.6Ghz as a dualie. It should be able to do that on the stock volts. Reset cmos, then bump multi until at 3.6, then stress test. You may at most, need 0.0125 increase in volts, but that's unnecessary.

Phenom II have a voltage wall at 3.8Ghz and beyond... Basically at speeds approaching 3.8Ghz, you need only to slightly bump volts, but at speeds beyond that, you need to start pumping.

Leave the CPU-NB VID alone unless your 550 is unlocked.

720x3 unlocked 4th core
prime95 five hours 1.375v running 3.2

asus m4a78-3 mobo
1803 bios

could push higher,but i need to tightin up ram. also want to pass it on to the wife when i build new pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back