Post your overclocking MSI P55-GD65 GD80 860 1156 experiences here

QuadDragon

Limp Gawd
Well I have been fooling around with my new GD65 for the past couple of days trying to get any kind of an overclock without using the OC genie button. So far I haven't found any OC settings that will let me obtain any stability. The OC genie button is a strait overlock and I would love to set up a dynamic overclock to us the power saving features because I am more or less an HTPC user. I use my PC for 3 things. Gaming, Web Browsing and watching movies. I have been using OCCT to do my stability testing but even without it, I am seeing random lockups in Win 7 x64 RTM. I set the board back to stock with Turbo enabled and its rock solid. All I can figure is that I haven't found that magic Bclk ram / voltage ratio. How has your OC exp been with these boards been? If you have managed a Stable overlock 10+ hours Linpack Please post your bios settings here.

I know Kyle Did a review I would love to get more info from him on this paticular motherboard and the bios settings in general. How did you get this board stable?

Last edited:
Hey JonJon,

I think we must be the only newbs in this forum running an MSI board with an 860 lol.

haha, apparently.
Last night I did a little bit of OC but something is not right (probably why OC Genie didn't work) but also might be because I'm not so sure about how to OC 1156/i7 properly yet.

I realized my RAM requires 1.9v (maybe that's the whole problem and why it was only $85 when I bought it) so I forced 1.9v. Set timings at 8-8-8-24. Set base clock at 175, BSOD on startup. 165, BSOD. 150 @ 3.3GHz (x22) with prime95 for 8 hours fine ~70C with Hyper 212+. Turbo mode and C-state still on, 3.8 some GHz with superpi mod 1.5. 2meg superpi went from 2:42min to 2:11 and it was running mostly at 3.8GHz x26 in turbo mode.

I think I need to mess with CPU voltage but I didn't have time to do that yet. Maybe later this week. 3.3GHz isn't enough!

What kind of OC were you getting with OC Genie and load temps? I went cheapo Hyper 212+, curious how your Mega Shadow is.

haha, apparently.
Last night I did a little bit of OC but something is not right (probably why OC Genie didn't work) but also might be because I'm not so sure about how to OC 1156/i7 properly yet.

I realized my RAM requires 1.9v (maybe that's the whole problem and why it was only $85 when I bought it) so I forced 1.9v. Set timings at 8-8-8-24. Set base clock at 175, BSOD on startup. 165, BSOD. 150 @ 3.3GHz (x22) with prime95 for 8 hours fine ~70C with Hyper 212+. Turbo mode and C-state still on, 3.8 some GHz with superpi mod 1.5. 2meg superpi went from 2:42min to 2:11 and it was running mostly at 3.8GHz x26 in turbo mode.

I think I need to mess with CPU voltage but I didn't have time to do that yet. Maybe later this week. 3.3GHz isn't enough!

What kind of OC were you getting with OC Genie and load temps? I went cheapo Hyper 212+, curious how your Mega Shadow is.

the upper limit for ram voltage on i5/i7 systems is 1.65v. If you are really running it at 1.9v you are doing serious harm to your memory controller.

I have an MSI GD80 and have been messing around with it a little. I currently have it at 3.7 GHZ. I am not at my computer but I will confirm my settings tonight. These are the settings I think I have.

185 with a multiplier of 20.
All the speedstep, C1E, Eseit are disabled.
The QPI multiplier is at 16
The CPU voltage is at 1.25 and the VTT is set right around there as well
I ran Prime95 for 2 hours last night and no problems so far. I plan on running longer this weekend. My temps were mid 30s on idle and about 70-73 after 2 hours of prime95. I think I can bring the voltage down even further though, but that will have to wait until I have more time to play.

the upper limit for ram voltage on i5/i7 systems is 1.65v. If you are really running it at 1.9v you are doing serious harm to your memory controller.
Yeah, like I said, that might be part of the problem.
I'm not sure why Patriot makes a set of RAM that's so far out of spec? Or was it for 775 boards? I haven't a clue.
I didn't realize it when I bought it, it just happened to be $10 less than the next cheapest, and that was also slower.

Yeah, like I said, that might be part of the problem.
I'm not sure why Patriot makes a set of RAM that's so far out of spec? Or was it for 775 boards? I haven't a clue.
I didn't realize it when I bought it, it just happened to be $10 less than the next cheapest, and that was also slower.

it was for amd's Socket AM3 or intel's LGA775. If you can return the ram and it get proper stuff I would.

So long as the QPI voltage is within 0.5v of the DRAM voltage it should be fine. So if it's set at 1.9v for the RAM set your QPI to at least 1.4 (1.425 to be safe) and keep an eye on Northbridge, Memory and PWM temperatures.

I'm curious what cpu coolers you guys are using. I have a i7-860 on a GD65 but I haven't OC'd it since the stock cooler seems extremely awful.

I wanted to wait until some good 1156 coolers came out.

I am using the NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 which was relatively easy to install, but it is huge. Temps at idle were in the mid to high twenties at stock and at 3.7 mid 30s.

On load at 3.7 it goes to about 70-73. When it was at stock I think it was in the 40s, but I will have to go back and double check later.

it was for amd's Socket AM3 or intel's LGA775. If you can return the ram and it get proper stuff I would.

So long as the QPI voltage is within 0.5v of the DRAM voltage it should be fine. So if it's set at 1.9v for the RAM set your QPI to at least 1.4 (1.425 to be safe) and keep an eye on Northbridge, Memory and PWM temperatures.

Thanks to both of you for the information.
MSI tech support also told me it's not a problem. I initially contacted them a few days ago because OC Genie wasn't working. Tech said OC Genie does not alter DRAM volts so I will give OC Genie a try again tonight after manually forcing volts. Said it wouldn't be a problem.
So I don't hijack this thread, I'll post in my other thread about OC Genie not working.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459061

I'm curious what cpu coolers you guys are using. I have a i7-860 on a GD65 but I haven't OC'd it since the stock cooler seems extremely awful.

I have a Corsair H50 (make sure to check for the 1156 bracket), and I'm no overclocking expert, but it seems to be an impressive performer under load (low 60's, high 50's).

what northbridge?

My heatsink is in the Sig. Its one of the new Prolima Mega Shadows. I actually just remounted it today to blow vertically so I could shove even more junk in my case. I manage to clear just enough room to fit my Xfi in the first PCIe X1 slot. Temps at idle with Turbo boost on are in the low to mid 30s.

Anyone else want to post their voltages using an MSI GD board. I read you should never leave these settings on auto. QPI DRAM, VCORE, RAM Voltage, PLL Voltage. I have my vcore and dram voltage set, but not sure what values to use for QPI DRAM and PLL Volatage. Any suggestions?

Anyone else want to post their voltages using an MSI GD board. I read you should never leave these settings on auto. QPI DRAM, VCORE, RAM Voltage, PLL Voltage. I have my vcore and dram voltage set, but not sure what values to use for QPI DRAM and PLL Volatage. Any suggestions?

Also because the ram is not linked to the FSB anymore but its linked to the QPI? what kind of ratio should we look for?

I just installed the Megahalems cooler with IC Diamond thermal paste and a pair of 1500rpm fans on my i7 860 in the GD80, and my temps *seem* to be on the high side as well (at least judging by the reviews on this site and others). Speed is at around 3.35 GHZ via the OC Genie, and I am idling in the high 30s to low 40s and mid to high 60s with 100% load under OCCT.

Are those a little high with that cooler? If so, could it be a problem with the IC Diamond paste (which was a REAL pain to apply)?

I'll check back in with the OC settings the Genie slapped on; I'm testing it at stock now. It's hitting high 20s to low 30s idle and mid 40s under load.

I just installed the Megahalems cooler with IC Diamond thermal paste and a pair of 1500rpm fans on my i7 860 in the GD80, and my temps *seem* to be on the high side as well (at least judging by the reviews on this site and others). Speed is at around 3.35 GHZ via the OC Genie, and I am idling in the high 30s to low 40s and mid to high 60s with 100% load under OCCT.

Are those a little high with that cooler? If so, could it be a problem with the IC Diamond paste (which was a REAL pain to apply)?

I'll check back in with the OC settings the Genie slapped on; I'm testing it at stock now. It's hitting high 20s to low 30s idle and mid 40s under load.

That seems OK. You have to take ambient tempature into account too. It also depends on how much VCC you are using.

Looks like when I switched back from testing stock speed temps, the OC Genie ramped itself up a little. This time, I checked the details under the 'Cell' menu. This is with the aforementioned Megahalems and a pair of 1500rpm fans. With these settings, I am getting high 30s idle, and was in the low 70s after and hour or so of running 8 threads of Prime.

CPU Frequency: 3546 MHz
Base Clock: 197
Ratio: 18
QPI: 6304 MHz
Ratio: 16

CPU Voltage: 1.4
VTT: 1.399
RAM Voltage: 1.74 (Can't adjust this one -- My ram SHOULD run at 1.6)
Ram is GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600, 7-7-7-24-2N

So... I have no idea if any of these are good. It was sooooo much simpler on my Q6700 lol :p

Last edited:
I am seeing around those same tempatures on my machine. At stock. with it running at 3.4ghz 26 x 133 at 1.17v so I could guess that the tempatures are OK.

Looks like when I switched back from testing stock speed temps, the OC Genie ramped itself up a little. This time, I checked the details under the 'Cell' menu. This is with the aforementioned Megahalems and a pair of 1500rpm fans. With these settings, I am getting high 30s idle, and was in the low 70s after and hour or so of running 8 threads of Prime.

CPU Frequency: 3546 MHz
Base Clock: 197
Ratio: 18
QPI: 6304 MHz
Ratio: 16

CPU Voltage: 1.4
VTT: 1.399
RAM Voltage: 1.74 (Can't adjust this one -- My ram SHOULD run at 1.6)
Ram is GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600, 7-7-7-24-2N

So... I have no idea if any of these are good. It was sooooo much simpler on my Q6700 lol :p

What is the relationship between VTT and CPU volts? Is there a magic formula or recommended range?

@itsmezed: That's quite a bit of VTT and vcore you're pumping. And given your vcore, you are getting very i7 (Bloomfield) like temps - but that's a given with HT anyway.

Last edited:
@QuadDragon: That's quite a bit of VTT and vcore you're pumping. And given your vcore, you are getting very i7 (Bloomfield) like temps - but that's a given with HT anyway.
it was itsmezed who has the high VTT/CPU volt.
what is a reasonable amount?

I think I did 1.2 VTT and 1.34 CPU (before tweaking lower) to get 3.7GHz with 170 multiplier. Still haven't had enough time to tweak it.

Aye, it was me with the high voltages (1.4 vcore, 1.399 VTT). Unfortunately, I don't know enough about overclocking the i7 to do it manually, and have relied on the OC Genie. It was much easier on my old Q6700 :p

Also because the ram is not linked to the FSB anymore but its linked to the QPI? what kind of ratio should we look for?

So Let me reiterate. If anyone can answer these questions. We would love to have some help overclocking our MSI boards. Though after hearing about the socket issues im beginning to rethink that. Oh my Poor Mega what a hunk of useless tin it is now with nothing to overclock.

The settings in the bios don't really give me a good idea of what dials im turning up and down, and I haven't been able to find one. They also seem to be quite a bit different from the Asus settings in definition.

So what's the deal with Cstate? I've been trying to just get a stable 3.5GHz (22x multi) but LinX or superpi would eventually error out. I just tried defaulting everything and only adjusting voltages and I guess since I had set Cstate to ON before, that was causing the problem. At stock speeds, with CPU voltage set to auto, Cstate seems to reduce voltage/multiplier and it would run cooler/less power. I guess since I'm setting the CPU voltage anyways, it doesn't seem to work, or somehow it conflicts.

Anyone else had this happen?
Anyone have good stable overclock with voltages they can share? (I will soon)

I've offically given up. Cstate does make it run cooler and higher speeds and the dynamic overclock at stock speeds runs great , Until some more people get this processor / motherboard I guess we will have to wait for a stable overclock.

I've tried 3.9, 3.7, and 3.5GHz. 3.5 is the only one I can get stable (LinX, all memory, 6+ hours, 72/69/68/69C).
3.7GHz will error after 20 minutes or 2 hours. C-State off always.

overclocking.net has someone supposedly writing a guide, but I don't think he finished yet.

I used these values for references but I couldn't get 3.7 stable with LinX testing. Though some people say those artificial tests don't really mean anything (prime95 doesn't error out at 3.7GHz IIRC)
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3655&p=6
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p7p55d-deluxe_11.html#sect0

Here are our GD65 "extreme' results from Morry and his OCing from the unpublished review.
[TITLE]Overclocking[/TITLE]

The P55-GD65 is a beast, pure and simple. I was able to get some of the highest stable overclocking numbers out of this board that I’ve seen so far on a P55 based platform. With the help of my trusty Swiftech Apogee GTZ water block, a tri-fan radiator, an Intel i5 750 CPU and Corsair XMS31600C8 memory, I was able to get the board stable with a base clock speed of 215MHz, a CPU speed of 4.1GHz, and a memory speed of 1720MHz. The trickiest part was getting the memory stable, as I had to use a bit more voltage then normal and found that configuration of the B2B CAS Delay setting on both channels was critical. For this overclock, the base memory timings were set to 9-9-9-24-1T, with the B2B CAS Delay set to 8. Any memory settings other than these resulted in a vastly less stable system. As far as voltages go, I used the following for my overclocking success: CPU voltage of 1.526V, a CPU termination voltage of 1.605V, a PCH 1.8V voltage of 2.37V, a PCH 1.05V voltage of 1.424V, a memory voltage of 1.723V, memory reference voltages all set to 0.936V.
I’ve included screenshots detailing the statistics on my overclocking experience with the P55-GD65:

4.1GHz CPU speed with 1720MHz memory speed and 215MHz base clock

I was knocking 3.3GHz at stock voltages with the i5-750 easily. And the OC Genie was giving me 3.6GHz IIRC.

The MSI boards have still been my favorites of any P55 boards I have used.

Thanks for the info Kyle.

I need to play with the PCH 1.08V and PCH 1.05V values, I haven't touched those yet because I'm not sure what they are. That's probably why my 3.7GHz+ error out in stress tests.

Back