Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

Pretty warm but it is on the stock cooler.

Edit looks like you're running 2.53 so you have AVX, try chage your memory to 4096 or higher and update to Service Pack 1.

Ran a quick burn test. Runs a little hot especially for stock speeds, but again, I think I should probably upgrade my A50. Here are my results:

My linepack output speed is almost half of what others' results show. Is this normal?

You need W7 SP1 update for max performance.

So I backed by Vcore down to 1.7, PLL to 1.65, @ 45x100. Still getting blue screens on IBT 2.53 and I am back up to Vcore 1.9v which still seems pretty good.

Memory is running at XMP-1600 @ 1.65v (can run at 1333 @ 1.5v)

Is it possible that memory is causing the BSOD during IBT (very high)?

I am thinking that I could go back to stock settings and keep memory at XMP-1600 to see if I still get BSOD or run it at 1333 @ 1.5v.

Thoughts?

idle:
main.php
main.php

with LinX running:
main.php
main.php

Just finished upgrading the PC early this morning so no overclocking yet.

Intel Core i5 3570K
ASRock Extreme4
16GB Samsung 1600
Thermalright TRUE Black 120

So I backed by Vcore down to 1.7, PLL to 1.65, @ 45x100. Still getting blue screens on IBT 2.53 and I am back up to Vcore 1.9v which still seems pretty good.

Memory is running at XMP-1600 @ 1.65v (can run at 1333 @ 1.5v)

Is it possible that memory is causing the BSOD during IBT (very high)?

I am thinking that I could go back to stock settings and keep memory at XMP-1600 to see if I still get BSOD or run it at 1333 @ 1.5v.

Thoughts?

Yes, it's very possible.

This thread was a good read. I'm going to be building an IB-based system for a friend soon and was checking out what to expect. I'm disappointed that the results aren't better to be honest. It seems like these chips overclock the same or worse than SB. Must have hit that process wall at 22nm :(.

This thread was a good read. I'm going to be building an IB-based system for a friend soon and was checking out what to expect. I'm disappointed that the results aren't better to be honest. It seems like these chips overclock the same or worse than SB. Must have hit that process wall at 22nm :(.

Wall??? Id say more like a Steel Building.lol.

oc.jpg

ocbrntst.jpg

ASrock Extreme 4
8GB DDR3 SDRAM Corsair Vengeance (stock)
Thermalright TrueBlack, in an Antec P182 with the fans on low.

Yep, SP1 was on - but ram was running at 1333 instead of 2133. I imagine that could have impacted it?

What is your performance in IBT now? I'm curious because I have 1333 memory and was getting about 104 as well.

My first attempt at overclocking. I'm impressed considering my board is controlling all of the Noctua DH-14 and two 120mm one 140mm fans in my small case. They weren't even running at full speed. I usually buy Scythe 110 CFM fans and run them at full. Was susprised I didn't really need to.
First%20attempt.jpg

My first attempt at overclocking. I'm impressed considering my board is controlling all of the Noctua DH-14 and two 120mm one 140mm fans in my small case. They weren't even running at full speed. I usually buy Scythe 110 CFM fans and run them at full. Was susprised I didn't really need to.
First%20attempt.jpg

What is your overclock? You should set the testing on maximum.
Realtemp says 3.5, cpu-z says 1.6.....

Been playing with my 3570k... not going so well.

I have it at 100x43 at 1.25 volts. Max stress on IBT runs it up to 88C. I tried re-seating the heatsink, but no change.

It seems to run stable, but somehow this CPU overclock has murdered my frame rate. 3d mark 11 is running about 7-8 fps less in every test.

This is a fresh install of windows. Not really sure what the hell is going on.

3770k at 4500mhz (100x45) at 1.245 volts. Max temp was 82c at 72F room temp.

I used linx updated for the AVX instructions and have hyperthreading turned on. Did a 12 hour run.

I did try 4600 with 1.29 volts but temps hit close to 90c so was a bit too high

Using HR-02 macho cooler with the fan that came with it running at max speed.

Been playing with my 3570k... not going so well.

I have it at 100x43 at 1.25 volts. Max stress on IBT runs it up to 88C. I tried re-seating the heatsink, but no change.

It seems to run stable, but somehow this CPU overclock has murdered my frame rate. 3d mark 11 is running about 7-8 fps less in every test.

This is a fresh install of windows. Not really sure what the hell is going on.

Check memory timings / speed, update to Service Paxck 1, update DX files, etc.

DX is up to date. All updates all installed. Memory was running at 1333 instead of 1600, but that didn't improve my FPS in anything.

It behaves a lot better at 42x100, but I'm still down on frames compared to my old i7 860. I didn't really expect CPU to make a difference since I was GPU bound in everything anyway. This IB is faster than my 860.

Gotta figure out what is going on here. Could just be AMD's lovely drivers acting stupid.

Messed around with the voltage.. Seems I don't really need 1.2v for 4.3 Ghz. Bumped it down to 1.14v any lower crashes. Temperature don't soar to 80c anymore. 68 max.

But are we absolutely sure Real temp is accurate? My Asus Suite showing much lower temperature. And it's currently using turbo fan profile so the fans never got to 100% because ASUS Suite saying it's not beyond 60c.

Here how my Noctua D14 is set up. This is in LIAN LI PC-A05NB case with intake fans coming from the rear.
Quick%20D14%20pic.jpg

overclcok.PNG

What do you guys think? First OC ever.

MSI Z77 GD65
16GB Samsung DDR3
Thermalright TS140
Zalman Z11

I appreciate any and all suggestions

swatX, looks good. Seems as though you still have some room if you want to push it a bit more.

Did some more testing on mine.

I get weird problems with a x43 multiplier. Word takes a while to open, programs randomly crash. x42, no problems whatsoever. I'll have to try 44 at some point, but I don't know if I can put the voltage up enough since I'm already near 90C with enough voltage to run 100x43.

swatX, looks good. Seems as though you still have some room if you want to push it a bit more.

Did some more testing on mine.

I get weird problems with a x43 multiplier. Word takes a while to open, programs randomly crash. x42, no problems whatsoever. I'll have to try 44 at some point, but I don't know if I can put the voltage up enough since I'm already near 90C with enough voltage to run 100x43.

What motherboard are you using?

Also, for anyone familiar with MSI boards/bios. I have set my CPU core voltage at 1.15V yet realtemp and HWinfo show it as 1.22V. Am i missing something?

edit: CPUZ seems to be showing the same temp as the bios now.

I'm on a Gigabyte z77x-ud3h. I've never had much luck with CPU's and OCing, so this wouldn't be new for me if it just turns out to be a hot chip.

Final OC, I am pretty happy.

newoc1.jpg

newoc2.jpg

Cooler is a Corsair H80 with fans set to medium. The only settings I changed were core voltage, multiplier, and memory speed.

But are we absolutely sure Real temp is accurate? My Asus Suite showing much lower temperature. And it's currently using turbo fan profile so the fans never got to 100% because ASUS Suite saying it's not beyond 60c.

Yeah, we're pretty sure. AI Suite doesn't read the temp off the CPU, it is getting some other temperature (possibly measured in the socket).

Hey guys, was hoping to get some advice.

Running a 3770K on an Asrock Z77 extreme 4, cooling with a Zalman CNPS 10x Perform.

Currently at 1.2V vcore with LLC at level 2 (guessing that's about 75% vdroop)....seems to be stable, but my temps on IBT on very high reach low 80s with one core even hitting 90. Prime after about 2 hours tops out in the mid 70s across all cores.

Granted I will never do anything that will push the temps to 90, are my temps a cause for concern? Do I did to re-apply and re-seat? Better cooler?

Also a question about voltages...when I run it at 1.2 Vcore with LLC at 2, CPU-Z shows my actual vcore as 1.18-1.19 which is fine because of the vdroop, but when I actually manually set it to 1.18 with 100% LLC, it's not stable. Auto voltage with LLC at 3 or 4 idles at 1.24V-1.25V but under load again goes down to 1.17-1.18V and is stable. Any thoughts?

Hey guys, was hoping to get some advice.

Running a 3770K on an Asrock Z77 extreme 4, cooling with a Zalman CNPS 10x Perform.

Currently at 1.2V vcore with LLC at level 2 (guessing that's about 75% vdroop)....seems to be stable, but my temps on IBT on very high reach low 80s with one core even hitting 90. Prime after about 2 hours tops out in the mid 70s across all cores.

Granted I will never do anything that will push the temps to 90, are my temps a cause for concern? Do I did to re-apply and re-seat? Better cooler?

Also a question about voltages...when I run it at 1.2 Vcore with LLC at 2, CPU-Z shows my actual vcore as 1.18-1.19 which is fine because of the vdroop, but when I actually manually set it to 1.18 with 100% LLC, it's not stable. Auto voltage with LLC at 3 or 4 idles at 1.24V-1.25V but under load again goes down to 1.17-1.18V and is stable. Any thoughts?

What case are you using? fans?

It's interesting that cores 2 and 3 are substantially hotter for everyone, with core 2 almost always coming out way on top.

I'm guessing it's because of the layout?

IGP -- Core 1 -- Core 2 -- Core 3 -- Core 4

With Core 2 sandwiched in the middle, it seems reasonable it'd be the hottest.

With such a consistent difference, it's surprising that they don't try to engineer the core layout to accomodate. Seems like it's going to become increasingly important with future process shrinks.

So far no blue screens, no failures to post or crashes of any kind.

Goal was 4.7g ... Set it up in Bios 47,bclk 100, load line = high, Vcore=1.35
everything else auto, turned on igpu, dram 1.5v,1600,8,8,8,24, booted posted
at 1600. ran primes for 12hrs. max temp core1 = 89c. using nh-d14 stock,
lian-li case stock fans, 2 front, 1 rear, speed max after 40c reached, which is
immediately after starting primes.

thermals didn't look acceptable to me. after reading a number of sites and
after doing this many times in the past, i modified above. now ...
bclk 100.1, load line= med, Vcore 1.32, cpu pll= 1.60 everything else the same.

running primes now. temps looks fantastic so far. core 1 79c max. will post complete specs when done. core 0 69c max.
Note: Vcore droops to 1.240 at 4706mhz.

Gotta Love 3770K ... had a 2600K to start with z77 board .. couldn't even
get primes to run 1 hr at 4700 ...
IB RULES!

now many of you would try 4800, but i'm happy. goal is to make this
work 24/7. it is plenty fast. now just need a little reliability.

BTW best deal for this combo is at microcenter ... in 1.5 weeks they should be running deal for 3770K@ $290 and $50 off any z77 board. in store purchase only.
nh-d14 best deal is probably newegg $86 after rebate. dram is cheap.
i got my motherboard/cpu combo 1 week ago, special deal. 290+235+tax

jet

I read all the time. Do you? Who's talking about PCIE 3.0? I love the way Ivy Bridge 'experts' like that bald guy on NewEgg intel vids constantly claim this 'feature'. Who gives a crap? It's like bragging about MMX in the 90's on a Pentium or AGP 4X Fast Writes. Next to no gains. As for HD4000, yes a faster step up, but again, what enthusiest wants to brag about using a HD4000 iGPU? So subtract these features. What does Ivy truly have over Sandy if you're an enthusiest and overclock? Nothing. It has the same temps overall if not higher (think 80c+ on water cooling), lower overall clock rates attained, and the same cores and threads. The 22nm Tri-Gate process is only relevant if you do apples to apples with a stock Sandy Bridge as yes, it will draw a few watts less and run cooler. Other than that, stop humping the leg of intel and Ivy Bridge just because you guys came to the Sandy Bridge train late and upgraded from a Duron.

You again are confusing the enthusiasts with the rest of consumers. You are the 1%, and you need to get over that already. My mom doesn't give a fuck if her PC has a HD3000 or HD4000. She cares if it plays Youtube videos, runs smoothly, does BluRay and such. Which the 4000 does. The 3000, not so well.

And for enthusiasts, PCIe 3.0 is a VERY real thing. We are seeing some vidoecards already that are PCIe 3.0, and do in fact benefit from running on a 3.0 slot. So this IS a good feature, and is a good way to future proof your system if you ever plan to upgrade.

As for the power, it's a great thing. I mean, you're telling me that 99% of Intel's user base shouldn't give a shit? You're crazy. Most people are NOT buying the K chip. They're not OCing. And as for my upgrade, you clearly didn't read my old sig: i7 950 OCed. I had ZERO reason to want SB. IB gave me enough new features to upgrade (as did Panther Point.) I'm not "humping intel's leg" - you're the one too blinded by your over inflated feeling of importance being an enthusiast. Intel will screw over enthusiasts in a HEARTBEAT if it profits them in the end. Don't forget that. You, me...most people here...are a minority.

So far no blue screens, no failures to post or crashes of any kind.

BTW best deal for this combo is at microcenter ... in 1.5 weeks they should be running deal for 3770K@ $290 and $50 off any z77 board. in store purchase only.
nh-d14 best deal is probably newegg $86 after rebate. dram is cheap.
i got my motherboard/cpu combo 1 week ago, special deal. 290+235+tax

jet

Wait, they gave you 50$ off with a 3770k purchase? I tried but they said only for 3550k.

Wait, they gave you 50$ off with a 3770k purchase? I tried but they said only for 3550k.

Got my 3770k on day one. They were out of the board I wanted so I had the manager write me an IOU. Basically, I got a $50 z77 motherboard coupon out of it.

Back