Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

The heatsinks are not at all getting heat soaked, the heat simply isn't being dissipated fast enough.
I would say that the heat isnt getting transferred efficiently to your cooling unit, I dont know if it is a measure of being "fast". The way to determine where the problem is would involve taking temperatures at different levels of the cooling system. Take the temp of the chip, take the temp of the IHS, take the temp of the water block/heat sink. If you have a significant temperature drop between any of those locations then it is the connection between those two units which is causing the problem.
The greater the temperature difference between the core and the cooling apparatus, the faster the heat transfer which is why the extreme cooling solutions work so well.
Again, I dont think it is correct to characterize the heat transfer in the terms of speed, but I think you mean the same thing -- efficiency. I would say that active cooling systems are working better because they "overcome" the inefficiencies in the CPU package (I wont mention the exact location of the inefficiency because I know that will strike a nerve here) by going into it and "taking the fight" to the enemy -- the chip surface. Admittedly, it would probably be more accurate to say that the active cooling processes "pull" or "attract" the heat out of the critical areas (the CPU). Additionally, I would surmise that extreme active cooling systems like LN2 open other avenues of cooling because they cool the area of the motherboard down significantly so they cool the CPU package from everywhere. So if there is an inefficient layer placed between the CPU and the top of the CPU, it is not as significant to a LN2 system.

Wow.... excellent news... I was planning on picking up 3570K and use my 212+ from my current Phenom II build (see my sig). How is the system feel comparing to your Phenom II build? Also what theremal paste have you used for 212+? Are you using 2 fan configuration on your 212+? What technique have you used to apply paste? I'm sorry for all the questions... and thanks in advance for your help ;)

It feels a bit snappier than the x6, not much. But I think that may be to intel RAID drivers. My SSDs are a lot faster now! boot from windows logo to logon screen was about 14+ seconds, now it's 3-5! I'll have to see how it does when I've got a bunch of apps running, but based on trying to open firefox with ITB running, I think the 3570 may feel slower in those situations. More cores do have their uses. A 3770 would feel quicker i'd imagine.

As for paste, I just used whatever crap came with the cooler master, rubbed it on the heatsink with a credit card, then wiped all excess off heat pipes and block with edge of CC. Then small dot on the center of cpu. Like a grain of rice.

Not using two fans although I did test it with my phenom using another stock 212+ fan. only dropped about 1.5-2C best case on the x6, not worth it because my limit wasn't temp, but bus speed.

With a little more voltage. temps haven't moved, but its getting cooler in here.

s88Cr.jpg

Very nice results and thanks for sharing. Can't wait to put my 3570k and 212+ together. Are you just using the CC to put paste on the edges of the pipes and block or throughout the heatsink? If you have a pic or some more details that would be great. I was gunning for a 4.5 but with a similar setup to yours maybe I will be able to hit 4.7 as well. Did you have to alter any other settings other than the multiplier to achieve your OC?

Last edited:
Very nice results and thanks for sharing. Can't wait to put my 3570k and 212+ together. Are you just using the CC to put paste on the edges of the fins or throughout the heatsink? If you have a pic or some more details that would be great. I was gunning for a 4.5 but with a similar setup to yours maybe I will be able to hit 4.7 as well.

not the fins! You want to smooth it down into the gap between the block and the heat pipes. Then scrape the excess off, so you basically only have it in the gaps. Like caulking i guess, or masonry. Then the dot on the cpu itself. it will spread across the block naturally when you attach the heatsink to the mobo. that same procedure must be in threads all over the internet and this forum. try searching:p

The chip runs hot because the 22nm die size has less surface area to displace heat and because of the design of the Tri-gate transistors. Changing the TIM to Fluxless Solder may not really make much of a difference to help dissipate heat because of the small 22nm surface area of the IB die.

IB uses less voltage and power than SB.

IB has Max TJ is higher than SB so even though the heat is hotter it is not going to hurt the chip. It is designed to run hotter. Tri-gate transistors in IB run hotter but that is normal.

My guess is that the actual atomic structure of the material of the IB over all design is a better at conducting electricity and has a lower resistance design which allows it to perform better with lower voltages and withstand the higher heat.

Did some searching. Now I know what you mean haha, had it pictured wrong in my mind.

FYI my temps start to go up quick above 1.225/1.25 volts. They quickly jump to around 84/85C on the hottest core at 4.7GHz. Considering the high TJmax on these, I don't feel too uncomfortable running at them temp, but I haven't gotten windows to boot at 3.8GHz, so the additional voltage isn't woth it. yet.

At 1.275+ I start seeing max core temps in the low 90s. These get hot quick above 1.225v, as others have found. The heatsinks just don't seem to dissipate the heat. I't definitely looks like the small die is affecting heat dissipation because of decreased surface area.

For shits and giggles I booted at 1.3v, 96C on the hottest core :eek:

\\edit: typed 3.7, meant 4.7

Last edited:
So far this has been extremely cool chip. At idle, two cores were at 17c (yeah, had pretty cool room, too cool) and does not even reach 50c at full load when encoding with latest x264 encoder. I use Thermalright True Spirit and MX-3 as TIM. So far I have been really pleased. Solved memory issues too. 4.3Ghz should be doable.

try lowering pll step at a time to lower temps.

Just a question for ya. I have 4.7 seemingly stable to IBT with my 3570k I can do 20 passes with max temp I think around 75. Gaming I only saw it get up to 58 last night and its survived two days without a crash. My question for you is do I need to lower the PLL from 1.832v right now its on auto? I know you suggested it and I am wondering if the value is high and not so great for the CPU in the long run. Otherwise if temps are fine and system is stable I don't really see a reason to touch it. Let me know. Thanks.

Just a question for ya. I have 4.7 seemingly stable to IBT with my 3570k I can do 20 passes with max temp I think around 75. Gaming I only saw it get up to 58 last night and its survived two days without a crash. My question for you is do I need to lower the PLL from 1.832v right now its on auto? I know you suggested it and I am wondering if the value is high and not so great for the CPU in the long run. Otherwise if temps are fine and system is stable I don't really see a reason to touch it. Let me know. Thanks.

Interesting, I had missed that post earlier. I'll have to play around with that setting to see if I can get lower temps and possibly push it a little past 4.7.

@deltronic I have a 3570k

I am at 1.25vcore for 4.7 and it seems stable enough for me with great temps. It took 1.32 for me to get in to windows with 4.8 and 1.35 for 4.9 neither passed an IBT run (1.35 didn't let 4.8 pass IBT either but both were functional for web surfing and opening apps) anyways 1.25 to 1.32 is too big a gap for 100MHz gain and since I just game with a single GTX680 getting to 5.0GHz, though possible if I really went after it with high voltage and a little tweak help from the experts here, doesn't seem worth it to me.

what about 3770K users are they finding higher speeds after disabling HT? I am having issues adjusting to OCing this thing. Last chip I OCed was my 9650 this is A LOT different.

I had 4.5 but temps were too high for my taste and that was with HT on @ 1.27V

Anyone know what PLL voltage is dangerous to these ivy chips? I am at 1.832v set by auto. Should I lower this one?

Cool thanks RamonGTP. I was just google searching and saw someone say never to cross 1.9v PLL for SB so I didn't know if I was too close to that or if IVY was different.

Temps should lower if you lower it. Just do it 1 notch at a time and test for stability in between till you find the lowest point.

Here my 3770K with watercooling

Pretty Nice, Can you tell me some of your settings I am trying to OC mine on a Sabertooth Z77 and I am no where near that but I think I should be able to get close. Do you have HT Off?

Good luck finding one that could do it at 1.175V.

He means SB can get those OC's easily and with low heat. :cool:
Im on a crappy 620 and still only get 67 on hottest core with all cores 100%.

EDIT: When I say crappy, I dont mean quality wise, I mean its the smallest version..... :)

Last edited:
He means SB can get those OC's easily and with low heat. :cool:

Does it matter? Ivy's temps suck while being at low voltages so the point is moot imo.

Just stop comparing Ivy temps to Sandy temps. They run hotter - get over it. He's doing 4.7 @ 1.175V, which is performance-wise in the same ballpark as a 5.0 Sandy, and he's 30C away from Tjunction.

Just stop comparing Ivy temps to Sandy temps. They run hotter - get over it. He's doing 4.7 @ 1.175V, which is performance-wise in the same ballpark as a 5.0 Sandy, and he's 30C away from Tjunction.

Nothing to get over.

Its just a fact, and that is on a water cooled unit. :D

You need to get over the fact that its going to be compared to SB.

I am greatly amused how much ShuttleLuv has been complaining about Ivy Bridge.

Yeah, nothing to complain about. Its a good chip and I would of got one if I had not got the 2500K. Considering even the lower clock of IB(in relation to heat), it will still be pretty much the same on games at those speeds. Its all good.

But whats the draw? If the performance = Sandy at 5.0 and the temps are the same if not hotter, is it just that your voltage number on screen is lower? I'm just baffled why some of you guys feel the need to defend Ivy so much. It's good the chip was made to get the 22nm out the door but it's an abysmal disappointment beign released after Sandy Bridge. And I'm thinking more like 4.9 Sandy 4c/4/t ballpark.

I am greatly amused how much ShuttleLuv has been complaining about Ivy Bridge.

Ah I know, because if you get on a public message board and find one guy who isn't entirely thrilled about Ivy Bridge, it negates your purchase of it and makes me a 'troll'. :rolleyes:

Ah I know, because if you get on a public message board and find one guy who isn't entirely thrilled about Ivy Bridge, it negates your purchase of it and makes me a 'troll'. :rolleyes:

No, you become a troll when you say stuff like "it added nothing" when it clearly DID add features. It's just the power density makes the CPU dissipate heat in a way that is not as efficient, and so overclockers suffer. But you are one of thsoe guys who thinks Intel should design for and think about no others than overclockers.

But whats the draw? If the performance = Sandy at 5.0 and the temps are the same if not hotter, is it just that your voltage number on screen is lower? I'm just baffled why some of you guys feel the need to defend Ivy so much. It's good the chip was made to get the 22nm out the door but it's an abysmal disappointment beign released after Sandy Bridge. And I'm thinking more like 4.9 Sandy 4c/4/t ballpark.

WILL YOU ACTUALLY READ FOR ONCE.

Something called "HD4000" is a great reason. If I built my mom a PC (desktop) tonight, I'd buy a cheap IB chip, no videocard and have her enjoy some HD4000 love.

Oh, and cards are starting to use PCIe3. Intel wanted PCIe 3 support.

People have said PLENTY of reasons that IB is a good step forward - it's a refresh. We get these ALL THE TIME. Despite your opinions, the reasons remain valid.

Be happy with your purchase of Ivy Bridge cpu:) Its your money.

You can buy abulldozier cpu instead of IB...if you want to and noone can say anything about it. lol

It doesn't negate my purchase. This CPU was a huge upgrade for me, maybe as big time enthusiasts some of you guys aren't familiar with the experience of making an astronomical upgrade, but for me this CPU has been nothing but bliss, and I haven't even over clocked it yet.

To even suggest that I feel your negativity has affected my experience is nothing short of nonsense.

Does it matter? Ivy's temps suck while being at low voltages so the point is moot imo.

In this case:

IB runs hotter (+1 for SB)
IB is consuming less power (+1 for IB)
IB is producing less overall heat (+1 for IB)

Thats 2/3 for IB, time to think outside of your little 216 mm² box.

In this case:

IB runs hotter (+1 for SB)
IB is consuming less power (+1 for IB)
IB is producing less overall heat (+1 for IB)

Thats 2/3 for IB, time to think outside of your little 216 mm² box.

That list is lame. Fire up Realtemp and it still shows 80c+ on water cooling half the time, which is pretty pathetic imo.

No, you become a troll when you say stuff like "it added nothing" when it clearly DID add features. It's just the power density makes the CPU dissipate heat in a way that is not as efficient, and so overclockers suffer. But you are one of thsoe guys who thinks Intel should design for and think about no others than overclockers.

WILL YOU ACTUALLY READ FOR ONCE.

Something called "HD4000" is a great reason. If I built my mom a PC (desktop) tonight, I'd buy a cheap IB chip, no videocard and have her enjoy some HD4000 love.

Oh, and cards are starting to use PCIe3. Intel wanted PCIe 3 support.

People have said PLENTY of reasons that IB is a good step forward - it's a refresh. We get these ALL THE TIME. Despite your opinions, the reasons remain valid.

I read all the time. Do you? Who's talking about PCIE 3.0? I love the way Ivy Bridge 'experts' like that bald guy on NewEgg intel vids constantly claim this 'feature'. Who gives a crap? It's like bragging about MMX in the 90's on a Pentium or AGP 4X Fast Writes. Next to no gains. As for HD4000, yes a faster step up, but again, what enthusiest wants to brag about using a HD4000 iGPU? So subtract these features. What does Ivy truly have over Sandy if you're an enthusiest and overclock? Nothing. It has the same temps overall if not higher (think 80c+ on water cooling), lower overall clock rates attained, and the same cores and threads. The 22nm Tri-Gate process is only relevant if you do apples to apples with a stock Sandy Bridge as yes, it will draw a few watts less and run cooler. Other than that, stop humping the leg of intel and Ivy Bridge just because you guys came to the Sandy Bridge train late and upgraded from a Duron.

Back