Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

So what we are all basicly saying is They REALY didnt need to put that chip out. lol

OH and 2700k is Price drop!,.ZING!.

ZING. We are always basically saying, it's how we talk, we also use words like essentially and fundamentally. It's how we talk.

Last edited:
I have 4.7GHz IBT stable (standard 10 passes) with 1.215vcore and LLC set to 2. Max temp is 69°C with my NH-D14. I tried 4.8 but gave up for the time being at 1.290 vcore, it was making about 6-8 passes in IBT before failing. The only problem was it made it 8 passes with 1.280vcore then 6 passes with 1.285 and then crapped out and froze at 2 passes with 1.290.. That worried me to get a progressively worse result every raise so I went back to 4.7GHz for my 24/7.

By the way. How do I post a screenshot? FYI this is with a I5-3570k

Very nice temps.

What is your PLL voltage setting? Is your voltage reading during IBT 100% load using CPU-Z?

In order to share a screen shot you have to upload the .jpg image to a server and then copy the image url and place it in between the message board code. example.

Very nice temps.

What is your PLL voltage setting? Is your voltage reading during IBT 100% load using CPU-Z?

In order to share a screen shot you have to upload the .jpg image to a server and then copy the image url and place it in between the message board code. example.

Thanks! I am not really an expert at overclocking these, I am just going slowly up the vcore and seeing what passes IBT. Just lucky so far I guess. What is PLL voltage do? It's set to auto and is at 1.832. My vcore is reading from CPUID and my temps from Real Temp with TJMAX at 105°C. If you have a tip that could get 4.8GHz stable I have some temperature room still :)

Thanks! I am not really an expert at overclocking these, I am just going slowly up the vcore and seeing what passes IBT. Just lucky so far I guess. What is PLL voltage do? It's set to auto and is at 1.832. My vcore is reading from CPUID and my temps from Real Temp with TJMAX at 105°C. If you have a tip that could get 4.8GHz stable I have some temperature room still :)

go for 5GHZ!! lol

Wow, a strange twist in my 3770K order from Amazon. It seems someone in Amazon shipping Kentucky marked it as “shipped” threw it in their El Camino and drove it home. So UPS generated a label for it but never received it. Amazon is investigating their shipping dept. seems I am not the only one who’s Ivy has been pilfered. They are sending another one tomorrow, and refunding my $3.99 for overnight shipping. Oh well at least I know 3770Ks are as popular as first cousins!;)

*This post is not intended to insult anyone who owns an El Camino, unless you stole my CPU.
Funny, somebody stole my El Camino recently.... :rolleyes:

By the way, it appears CPU-world is the only website with the ballz to "out" Intel on the fluxless solder issue. So in anticipation of the local 5-0 finding your processor and putting the guy who stole my El Camino in jail, you might be interested in the following links:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012050103_Intel_admits_Ivy_Bridge_runs_hot.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012042801_Why_Is_Ivy_Bridge_So_Hot_.html

By the way, it appears CPU-world is the only website with the ballz to "out" Intel on the fluxless solder issue. So in anticipation of the local 5-0 finding your processor and putting the guy who stole my El Camino in jail, you might be interested in the following links:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012050103_Intel_admits_Ivy_Bridge_runs_hot.html

That news was originally discovered over at Overclockers a week ago, and Tech-Report got an on the record comment from Intel about it a few days ago. So I don't think CPU-world outed anybody.

Man homie Intel really got you worked up over the TIM, huh? I see you are posting the same rant over at overclock.net.

Honestly those articles don't show any "ballz", she is just parroting everything that people have been saying for days on forums. She also seems to really be in the know as well, since she mentioned there being another stepping for IB. :eek:

I re-mounted my water block and i'm getting much better temps. Stock 3.4ghz at stock voltage full load is 50c. Overclocking begins tomorrow. This chip is so much better than my Q9400.

Man homie Intel really got you worked up over the TIM, huh? I see you are posting the same rant over at overclock.net.

Honestly those articles don't show any "ballz", she is just parroting everything that people have been saying for days on forums. She also seems to really be in the know as well, since she mentioned there being another stepping for IB. :eek:

Another stepping and design with fluxless solder may be a great benefit to IB and if so it will be appreciated.

I think the rant is due. I'm not happy with the cheapend TIM design but I am happy with IB over all. I'd like to see it improved.

I got screwed over at Microcenter when I went home with a regular 3770 instead of a 3770k... clerk scanned the K as well. Went back last night and they wouldn't believe me. Was wondering why I couldnt up the multiplier :mad:

Man that sucks. I always check a kit's package before leaving the store. I was there on launch day and after seeing the clerk take 5 orders I made damn sure to check my invoice. :(

It has been tested already that removing the IHS makes no difference.

Man that sucks. I always check a kit's package before leaving the store. I was there on launch day and after seeing the clerk take 5 orders I made damn sure to check my invoice. :(

They can't scan a K and give you a non-K. The UPC Code for the two are different. If I were you, and I'm certain I was screwed, I'm disputing the purchase completely with my bank (assuming you used credit/debit card and not cash). Anyway, the price would have been different, too. Unless Intel accidently put a non-K inside the K box. It's very weird in your case.

They can't scan a K and give you a non-K. The UPC Code for the two are different. If I were you, and I'm certain I was screwed, I'm disputing the purchase completely with my bank (assuming you used credit/debit card and not cash). Anyway, the price would have been different, too. Unless Intel accidently put a non-K inside the K box. It's very weird in your case.

I kinda got the feeling that the clerk scanned a different box that was a K proc during checkout. Anyway, I completely agree with the bank related stuff.

CPU:3770k
Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 + 140mm antec truequiet @~750rpm
Mobo: Z77A-GD65
Thermal Compound : Old Chill Factor III (only thing I had laying around)

AMBIENT TEMP: 21.5c

Pics of setup

I wasn't sure the cooler mounting plates would fit... they did! Also, bonus points to whomever spots what's wrong in one of those pictures.

Here's temps for
IDLE
STOCK (turbos 4 cores @3.7Ghz)
4.0Ghz
4.4Ghz

EDIT:

I ran Intel Burn Test @4.4Ghz just to see

Ha! KEF 2005s? Good taste sir!

Yeah, I have the same rant there as here. Are you faulting me for that? Do you think I should be changing my position in different forums?

I am doing this now, so when people find out how important this issue was, they can look back and say "oh yeah, youghmama was trying to explain that to us but we went ahead and wasted our time and money because we though we knew better". People like "Tup3x" here, think that since someone has taken the lid and IHS off and applied TIM with a heat sink directly to the chip, and it didnt work, therefore it cant be the Intel TIM causing the problem. Dont you see how wrong that is? But this is what a lot of OCers are thinking and I find it sad because not everyone is rich and has loads of free time to waste -- even Intel fanboys.

Yes, they do show "ballz" because they are questioning Intel on why they got rid of fluxless solder. And those articles clearly state that they got their basic information from other sources, so? The good thing about those articles is that the author clearly understands the significance of the information provided by other sources. Sadly, people here demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what Intel did. They made a great chip, and decided to make it run hot so it wouldnt be easily OCed well and cause problems with sales of other CPUs in their lineup.

Yeah, I have the same rant there as here. Are you faulting me for that? Do you think I should be changing my position in different forums?

I am doing this now, so when people find out how important this issue was, they can look back and say "oh yeah, youghmama was trying to explain that to us but we went ahead and wasted our time and money because we though we knew better". People like "Tup3x" here, think that since someone has taken the lid and IHS off and applied TIM with a heat sink directly to the chip, and it didnt work, therefore it cant be the Intel TIM causing the problem. Dont you see how wrong that is? But this is what a lot of OCers are thinking and I find it sad because not everyone is rich and has loads of free time to waste -- even Intel fanboys.

Yes, they do show "ballz" because they are questioning Intel on why they got rid of fluxless solder. And those articles clearly state that they got their basic information from other sources, so? The good thing about those articles is that the author clearly understands the significance of the information provided by other sources. Sadly, people here demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what Intel did. They made a great chip, and decided to make it run hot so it wouldnt be easily OCed well and cause problems with sales of other CPUs in their lineup.

You can buy a SB or wait and see if a revision of IB comes out.
Easy choice! There really isnt too much of an upgrade in IB from SB, unless you have a need for native usb 3/pcie-3......
Just buy a good HSF/water cooler and OC the chip of your choice. ;)

It has been tested already that removing the IHS makes no difference.

This is so retarded. "Tested?" By one dude right? Where there others? A series of trials? Some random dude took the IHS off and attempted to see if there was a difference. No telling if he did it right.. had good contact, whatever. And I assume he used some grease to do the test?

People really are amazing - the level of shit they are willing to swallow, call good and then serve to others. It's silly. It is an engineering mother-effin fact that solder transfers heat better than grease. PERIOD. To say that it wouldn't make a difference is just bullshit. How much of a difference we may never know. Intel went cheap and the homeboys are scrambling to defend. It's irritating.

This is so retarded. "Tested?" By one dude right? Where there others? A series of trials? Some random dude took the IHS off and attempted to see if there was a difference. No telling if he did it right.. had good contact, whatever. And I assume he used some grease to do the test?

People really are amazing - the level of shit they are willing to swallow, call good and then serve to others. It's silly. It is an engineering mother-effin fact that solder transfers heat better than grease. PERIOD. To say that it wouldn't make a difference is just bullshit. How much of a difference we may never know. Intel went cheap and the homeboys are scrambling to defend. It's irritating.

Removing the heat spreader isn't really a common practice. Ridiculing the guy who tried it and suggesting he got it wrong is a bit adolescent really. At least he tried it. If you haven't bought an Ivy Bridge already, then I don't really see the reason behind your frustration. It is what it is.

Here are some of my own temps. Only had time to try a very modest OC.
4.0 ghz @ stock voltage, ~52°C at 100% load with Prime95. (Though I only had time to leave the test running for 10minutes. So, I wouldn't call this fully stable yet though it seemed just fine during the short test.)

Got my 3570k running at 4.4GHz using the auto overclock options on the ASRock Z77 Pro3. Just set it to 4.4, stable on Intel Burn test high with no tweaking.

CPU-Z shows less than 1.2v, don't remember the exact number at the moment. Temps under 70 C with a CM 212+.

I havent used it much but so far I am nowhere near as dissappointed as I thought I would be, or as some people are acting. I have yet to do any tweaking, so we'll see what I can get out of it.

A lot of you guys need to quit whining. You act like children.

I am really starting to think you are a troll. All your posts in here are just whining and ranting about the use of TIM. Which honestly hasn't been proven if it makes a difference either way. No one is debating with you that solder is not superior, its just that it really isn't as big of a deal as you are making out to be.

There has been far to much thread crapping and off topic rants by people that don't even own the damn chip, so I am done discussing it. If you don't like it don't buy it...simple.

Back on topic. My 3770k is out for delivery today and will be pairing it up with a Z77 sabertooth. I'll post some pics and results probably tomorrow.

Got my Samsung eco ram at 2000mhz with stock timings at 1.35v. Gonna let it prime while I'm at work and give 2133 a shot tonight :D

Got my Samsung eco ram at 2000mhz with stock timings at 1.35v. Gonna let it prime while I'm at work and give 2133 a shot tonight :D

Nice! I just picked mine up from microcenter. running at 1833 right now. I let SPD handle the timing, but set the voltage to 1.5 manually. Didn't know they could run with such little voltage.:D

Can't wait to get to tweaking tonight!

I'm really happy with my ivy gear. I don't have the best binned chip out there, but it's much more satisfying to overclock than my conroe.

I'm really happy with my ivy gear. I don't have the best binned chip out there, but it's much more satisfying to overclock than my conroe.

In the silicon lottery, how do you know if your cpu is a quality bin or not? Will it make a difference if just running at stock speeds? My 3770K should be here in about an hour, whoa, first quad core, Penryn to Ivy sweeeeet!

In the silicon lottery, how do you know if your cpu is a quality bin or not? Will it make a difference if just running at stock speeds? My 3770K should be here in about an hour, whoa, first quad core, Penryn to Ivy sweeeeet!

If you are keeping it at stock, I don't think you will notice any difference. Be it good, bad, or other.

I think I am doing well 4.3 at 1.19V no issues so far and heat cannot be beat 50C-55C under Load.

Just got mine last night. I'm using a cooler master 212 plus with AS5 TIM.

My temps are way way high. I'm idling at like 90/91F (Bios reading)

I was idling at 78F with my G540 Celeron.

I'm certain the cooler is seated properly. So I'm going to assume the TIM didn't spread evenly (even though I put on a really thin amount)

I'm certain the cooler is seated properly. So I'm going to assume the TIM didn't spread evenly (even though I put on a really thin amount)

Why are you reading in Fahrenheit? 90F is like 32C, that sounds fine to me.
What are your ambient temps?

It's here, whoa, I can't believe how small the box is. Must not be a hsf inside, that's cool. It's super dope.:D

IMG_0704.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just going to pick mine, should get it running soon. I got GTX 680 ready too; my current stuff is going to replace E8400 machine - really nice boost for my bro.

Huh? Isn't 91F ~33c? That's not hot at all...

Why are you reading in Fahrenheit? 90F is like 32C, that sounds fine to me.
What are your ambient temps?

I see idle temps of like ~85F (29C/30C) for other people on air.

32C Just sounds high while just idling sitting in BIOS. Guess I'm used to my 2.4 GHz celery running at 26C

Removing the heat spreader isn't really a common practice. Ridiculing the guy who tried it and suggesting he got it wrong is a bit adolescent really. At least he tried it.

Yeah it might be adolescent if I had actually ridiculed the guy for trying but that isn't at all what I did. Nice strawman. The point is that one guy doing it is not proof of anything. He could have done everything right and it still isn't necessarily an indicator and it certainly isn't "proof." It's one instance. And yet people want to use that as evidence that it wouldn't make a difference if Intel had used solder or not. That dog don't hunt. It's bullshit. There is real evidence out there that says solder would make a difference but that gets pushed off and dismissed because people want to love IB and they can't handle criticism of Intel.

If you haven't bought an Ivy Bridge already, then I don't really see the reason behind your frustration. It is what it is.

In the end I don't really give a shit - I just won't buy one - but it is irritating to watch homers who are apparently emotionally invested tell people who bring up valid criticisms to "stop whining."

Yeah it might be adolescent if I had actually ridiculed the guy for trying but that isn't at all what I did. Nice strawman. The point is that one guy doing it is not proof of anything. He could have done everything right and it still isn't necessarily an indicator and it certainly isn't "proof." It's one instance. And yet people want to use that as evidence that it wouldn't make a difference if Intel had used solder or not. That dog don't hunt. It's bullshit. There is real evidence out there that says solder would make a difference but that gets pushed off and dismissed because people want to love IB and they can't handle criticism of Intel.

In the end I don't really give a shit - I just won't buy one - but it is irritating to watch homers who are apparently emotionally invested tell people who bring up valid criticisms to "stop whining."

Then why don't you head over to the AMD boards so you can discuss "valid criticisms". You got no skin in the game so stop thread crapping. You wanna talk the finer points of fluxless solder take it to another thread.

Then why don't you head over to the AMD boards so you can discuss "valid criticisms". You got no skin in the game so stop thread crapping. You wanna talk the finer points of fluxless solder take it to another thread.

Quit your whining.

Back