Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

I also think most of us in this thread with IB's came from non SB cpu's. So to us it's a big step up.

Those of us who didn't upgrade from SB and aren't bitter should have our own thread to cut down on all thread crapping.

I have a 2600k, 8 threads, 5Ghz stable. Not a 2500k. Think max volt is 1.42 something and temps max out at 72 - 73c. Bought the cpu off eBay where the guy had it listed as 5.2Ghz stable for $375 maybe 8 months ago. I've validated it at 5.2Ghz and put it through 45 mins of stress testing before stopping it. I decided on 5Ghz was a good round number and have tested that at 24+ hours of stress testing.

My 3770k at 4.2Ghz is fast but not faster than my 5Ghz SB. I had to drop my 2600k down to 4.4Ghz to match the IB basic benchmarks that I ran. If my SB is clocked 4.5Ghz and higher, it benches faster than the 3770k.

Anyone with both systems can perform the same kinda of tests with similar results.

Don't get me wrong. IB is nice. Screaming system, nice board and cpu along with nice feature set, just, not really needed if you already have a 2500/k 2600/k system.

My complaint is more with myself not listening to the general consensus that was out there more than the performance of the chip. Even though a majority of people will lose performance or not gain as much performance with IB over SB, it's still a nice system and is after all an update to SB. I'm really hoping that new revisions of IB fix the heat issues and allow people to really get some nice numbers out of the chip vs. the low overclocks people are getting now myself included

I did run heaven benchmarks on both systems, ib at 4.2ghz and SB at 4.4 using HD 7970 and score was nearly the same. I'm too tired tonight but I will try crossfire tomorrow in both systems and see if the motherboard handles crossfire any better.

what voltage are you running to get 4.2k? i installed my 3770k yesterday and i have been reading a lot of people with misfortune and having issues getting past 4.4k, was wondering if it's just the limitations of the chip or not enough power?

i have mine at 4.6 @ 1.27v

I have a 2600k, 8 threads, 5Ghz stable. Not a 2500k. Think max volt is 1.42 something and temps max out at 72 - 73c. Bought the cpu off eBay where the guy had it listed as 5.2Ghz stable for $375 maybe 8 months ago. I've validated it at 5.2Ghz and put it through 45 mins of stress testing before stopping it. I decided on 5Ghz was a good round number and have tested that at 24+ hours of stress testing.

My 3770k at 4.2Ghz is fast but not faster than my 5Ghz SB. I had to drop my 2600k down to 4.4Ghz to match the IB basic benchmarks that I ran. If my SB is clocked 4.5Ghz and higher, it benches faster than the 3770k.

Anyone with both systems can perform the same kinda of tests with similar results.

Don't get me wrong. IB is nice. Screaming system, nice board and cpu along with nice feature set, just, not really needed if you already have a 2500/k 2600/k system.

My complaint is more with myself not listening to the general consensus that was out there more than the performance of the chip. Even though a majority of people will lose performance or not gain as much performance with IB over SB, it's still a nice system and is after all an update to SB. I'm really hoping that new revisions of IB fix the heat issues and allow people to really get some nice numbers out of the chip vs. the low overclocks people are getting now myself included

I did run heaven benchmarks on both systems, ib at 4.2ghz and SB at 4.4 using HD 7970 and score was nearly the same. I'm too tired tonight but I will try crossfire tomorrow in both systems and see if the motherboard handles crossfire any better.

Sounds like you got a bum chip or you are doing something wrong with your overclock. You are the first person I have seen that is stuck at 4.2ghz. If more chips are like yours, then ivy bridge is going to be larger disappointment in the overclocking department.

From all the forums I visit it looks like most are getting 4.4-4.6ghz on air. :confused:

Does everyone else's IB temps jump crazy high quickly? I have a water cooled machine with a triple 120 rad and nvidia geforce 470, and while doing basic stuff it's like 35 degrees C. I hit start on prime 95 and im at 70 degrees C before i can blink. I can from a Q9400 chip and it never got close to that hot. All stock settings with turbo enabled. Wondering if i need to reset my cpu water block. Using real temp and the asus tool for measurements.

Whats wrong with these pictures? Could the traditional temp monitoring programs (core temp/real temp) not be reading IB properly?

Load Temps:
2jetw8n.jpg

Idle Temps:
96jnnl.jpg

Ramon, I was seeing the same things yesterday when I was looking at the readings in AIDA64. When stressing out the CPU, the all the other temps would be around 60 (this is just stock settings at this point) and the "CPU" sensor would say 40 degrees. Which is the same reading the ASUS SW reports. And testing it again later in a warmer room, the CPU reading would still be about 20 degrees less than all the other sensors.

I mentioned it on the AIDA forum and this is the info I got back from the dev...
"CPU" temperature is read from the onboard sensor chip, so it shows the processor socket or diode temperature measured by the sensor chip. Individual core temperatures, "CPU Package" and the rest of the mentioned temperatures are all measured by the CPU itself, using its integrated (on-die) temperature diodes. Of course the on-die diodes will show more accurate temperatures, since they're the ones that can follow the heating up or cooling down of the processor the quickest."

So I guess the CPU temps that we see isn't a good representation of what the cores are really running out? Yeeesh, 20 degrees is a huge difference, unless this is some SW miscalculation.

Does everyone else's IB temps jump crazy high quickly? I have a water cooled machine with a triple 120 rad and nvidia geforce 470, and while doing basic stuff it's like 35 degrees C. I hit start on prime 95 and im at 70 degrees C before i can blink. I can from a Q9400 chip and it never got close to that hot. All stock settings with turbo enabled. Wondering if i need to reset my cpu water block. Using real temp and the asus tool for measurements.

Yeah mine jumps like that also. Just for kicks I ran with passive cooling while running prime 95. Temps were virtually the same for several minutes. I'm sure that eventually the fans would have been necessary. Traditional cooling just isn't absorbing the heat fast enough from that small die.

say I want to hit 4.0 and thats it, i dont mind going any higher.
would the i7 3770 non-K be able to hit 4.0ghz?
This is what I want to know as well. I really don't want to overclock to frequencies where I have to increase the voltage much. So:

Should I buy a (non-K) 3770 and raise the turbo-clock to 4.2 Ghz
or
should I buy a 3570K and overclock it to 4.0 Ghz?

And can you even change the voltage on a non-K CPU?

Anyone with 212+ cooling new IB CPU's? Would it be enough to get to 4.3Ghz/4.4Ghz waters?

I'm curious if I have to buy big Noctua/Silver Arrow to cool it down?

I'm still flip-flopping between SB/IB.

I’m currently PII user and I was looking to upgrade to something beefier.
I game (still mostly BF3 with a long list of steam games).

I was set to buy 2500k/3750k, but since I do some video encoding (handbreak) and I want to get more into it.
Met thinks getting 2600k/3770k would be better investment….

TIA ;)

I have been looking around for information on the IB, since I was considering an upgrade. The old 920 is still eating through whatever I throw at it, but who doesn't want to go faster?

Anyway, I noticed the heat issues everyone is running into and I had a couple of questions.

First, has anyone simply turned off HT? On my 920 there is a significant drop in temps when HT is disabled.

Also, who is if anyone is running water cooling and what kind of system is it, home brew, kit, or all in one, etc. With what kind of temps they are seeing on that.

Turning HT off is equivalent to buying a I5, which still have high temps. Not much point to an I7 without hyperthreading.

I also think most of us in this thread with IB's came from non SB cpu's. So to us it's a big step up.

Sometimes I go to Anandtech's benches and compare my new i7 3770k that's still on the way from newegg with my current Athlon II x4 630.

Yeeeeeaaaahh.

hehe yeah, It's going to be fun coming from my p8400 to 3770k. Inc. mind blown! Btw ReFracture, your cpu arriving before the weekend?

Anyone with 212+ cooling new IB CPU's? Would it be enough to get to 4.3Ghz/4.4Ghz waters?

I'm curious if I have to buy big Noctua/Silver Arrow to cool it down?

I'm still flip-flopping between SB/IB.

I’m currently PII user and I was looking to upgrade to something beefier.
I game (still mostly BF3 with a long list of steam games).

I was set to buy 2500k/3750k, but since I do some video encoding (handbreak) and I want to get more into it.
Met thinks getting 2600k/3770k would be better investment….

TIA ;)

I've got a 212 Evo. I'd say 4.4 Ghz would be the upper limit for that cooler.

This is what I want to know as well. I really don't want to overclock to frequencies where I have to increase the voltage much. So:

or

Good question - I'm interested in finding this out as well.

hehe yeah, It's going to be fun coming from my p8400 to 3770k. Inc. mind blown! Btw ReFracture, your cpu arriving before the weekend?

Supposedly I will have it tomorrow, if tracking is any indication. It was 12:30 AM April 29th when I ordered mine, I had been refreshing newegg every 15 minutes for the past couple hours prior.
Glad I did because it appears to be going out of stock repeatably.

Last edited:
Turning HT off is equivalent to buying a I5, which still have high temps. Not much point to an I7 without hyperthreading.

You still have more L3 Cache, possibly a higher bin since the turbo is higher.

Also, correct me if I am wrong here, but gaming doesn't really use HT at all and a lot of OC'ers seem to be heavy gamers.

Got my 3570k on first day of release but didn't have time to install. This morning I had a some time so I finally got to swap out the SB i5-2500k for the 3570k from my MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 MB. :)

The swap went smooth. I installed the latest IB supporting BIOS for my MB last week so it was ready to just put it in and go.
day1z68home3570k.jpg

Before booting up I wasted no time and went for an over clock. :D

1.22v on [email protected] and I lowered my ram voltage to 1.5v since the IB has a stronger memory process I thought I could get away with lowering my ram voltage from 1.63v@2133mhz, CL 9-11-10-27 CR 1.

Once booted windows 7 immediately did a device update and I had to reboot. After that it booted up fine and I went straight to Intel Burn Test for stability testing.

3570k1stbootoverclock.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2352909

I'm impressed with the low voltage for the speed and the stability.
I'm also impressed with how I was able to lower the voltage on my ram.
This chip is beast. Idles very cool and when under load it does get hotter than my 2500k but it is rated for higher temps. I think this CPU is a real beast. Very happy with my first boot and over clock. :)

Running Swiftech HD water block for cooling with HWLABs 360 and 120 steath radiators.
TIM IC Diamond.

That is where I am at so far. Time for IB fun. :cool:

Last edited:

or

Voltage changes should happen independent of the CPU, so you should be able to adjust the voltage on any CPU. As far as I know, IB is the same as SB, where you can raise the multiplier 4 notches on a non-K processor. Do you need hyperthreading? If not, just get a 3570K and pocket the extra money.

Wow, a strange twist in my 3770K order from Amazon. It seems someone in Amazon shipping Kentucky marked it as “shipped” threw it in their El Camino and drove it home. So UPS generated a label for it but never received it. Amazon is investigating their shipping dept. seems I am not the only one who’s Ivy has been pilfered. They are sending another one tomorrow, and refunding my $3.99 for overnight shipping. Oh well at least I know 3770Ks are as popular as first cousins!;)

*This post is not intended to insult anyone who owns an El Camino, unless you stole my CPU.

Wow, a strange twist in my 3770K order from Amazon. It seems someone in Amazon shipping Kentucky marked it as “shipped” threw it in their El Camino and drove it home. So UPS generated a label for it but never received it. Amazon is investigating their shipping dept. seems I am not the only one who’s Ivy has been pilfered. They are sending another one tomorrow, and refunding my $3.99 for overnight shipping. Oh well at least I know 3770Ks are as popular as first cousins!;)

*This post is not intended to insult anyone who owns an El Camino, unless you stole my CPU.

I got screwed over at Microcenter when I went home with a regular 3770 instead of a 3770k... clerk scanned the K as well. Went back last night and they wouldn't believe me. Was wondering why I couldnt up the multiplier :mad:

I got screwed over at Microcenter when I went home with a regular 3770 instead of a 3770k... clerk scanned the K as well. Went back last night and they wouldn't believe me. Was wondering why I couldnt up the multiplier :mad:

WOW That's horrible!!!

I agree, that is messed up. Just got my 3770k from Tigerdirect today and you made me go double check lol.

Damn, that blows. I got my 3770k from frys. Whenever I buy something from there the thought of soemthing like this always crosses my mind. I was sure to check the packaging before I left.

Did you use a credit card? You can dispute the charge if you did.

Thats great because i am in need of a screwdriver like those (that one has diff tips inside it right?). However...whats the point of the post if you dont mention the Brand or model of your precious screwdriver and magnetizer? And/Or a link for those of us that are interested in purchasing it?

Don't think I would call any screwdriver precious, just precision, hahaha. But good point, I need to up my game, thought the brand was clearly visible, any search would yield results but ok.

Yes the tips, they are called bits, are in the handle but they don't rattle around, there is a large snap button on the end that activates a spring opening. The magnetizer as you could guess is just to hold screws on tight, so they don't drop into your chassis while working.

Here are some links:

\http://www-us.wera.de/

http://www.amazon.com/Wera-00507366...WYCU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335902329&sr=8-4

IMG_0696.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't think I would call any screwdriver precious, just precision, hahaha. But good point, I need to up my game, thought the brand was clearly visible, any search would yield results but ok.

Yes the tips, they are called bits, are in the handle but they don't rattle around, there is a large snap button on the end that activates a spring opening. The magnetizer as you could guess is just to hold screws on tight, so they don't drop into your chassis while working.

Here are some links:

\http://www-us.wera.de/

http://www.amazon.com/Wera-00507366...WYCU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335902329&sr=8-4

Hope Kyle doesn’t kick my ass, I'm just sharing man, not selling anything.

Thanks. Yeah thats a sucky auto-correct for ya. Just curious, does it matter to magnetize the screws when working on your motherboard? I know its sensitive to static electricity, im guessing they arent sensitive to magnetism... Thanks though, cause of this recommendation (and amazon reviews) and my need for a screwdriver, i will be buying this.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Won my first game in UT3 with 3570k. Plays better than 2500k. Very happy.

Thanks. Yeah thats a sucky auto-correct for ya. Just curious, does it matter to magnetize the screws when working on your motherboard? I know its sensitive to static electricity, im guessing they arent sensitive to magnetism... Thanks though, cause of this recommendation (and amazon reviews) and my need for a screwdriver, i will be buying this.

The driver comes highly magnetized but when you put the bits in the end and position it in the little $6 dollar Wiha magnetizer, it can pick up an entire box of screws. I don’t think the magnetic field at the tip end would have any adverse effect on a motherboard (powered down), for the few seconds you are using it, I’ve had no issues. Maybe some other members could comment on that, good question.

i7 3770 (non K) + Asus Pro4 M

I'm pretty impressed with how cool it runs. Everyone made it sound like it was going to run hot. Its about 10*C cooler at idle then my i7 920 was. It does get up to the 70's though when pegged.

Reusing the Corsair H50 (with dual fans) water cooling. Using Arctic Silver Ceramique, very thin, applied with razer blade.

Ambient room temp is about 72*F

i7_core_temp.jpg

While encoding

i7_core_temp_load.jpg

I thought the i5 was 77w :confused:

All the IB chips in a family are shipped with the same TDP listed, even though they may have a lower actual TDP. This was covered previously - it was a decision by Intel to ensure that motherboard manufacturers didn't cut corners on the boards (at least that is what they say).

I thought the i5 was 77w :confused:

They both are. I suspect the i5's are just i7's that couldn't cut the mustard in the hyper thread department. (Same with i3's, except they are i7's with bad cores, but good hyper threads on the good cores) And Intel likely burns the non fuctional cores off, because the core shots I seen all look exactly the same in size. Basically it's binning.

But I'm purely speculating.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would start an absolute shit storm over that.

I have 4.7GHz IBT stable (standard 10 passes) with 1.215vcore and LLC set to 2. Max temp is 69°C with my NH-D14. I tried 4.8 but gave up for the time being at 1.290 vcore, it was making about 6-8 passes in IBT before failing. The only problem was it made it 8 passes with 1.280vcore then 6 passes with 1.285 and then crapped out and froze at 2 passes with 1.290.. That worried me to get a progressively worse result every raise so I went back to 4.7GHz for my 24/7.

By the way. How do I post a screenshot? FYI this is with a I5-3570k

I've got a 212 Evo. I'd say 4.4 Ghz would be the upper limit for that cooler.

It depends on the chip and BIOS tweaking. I can get 4.4 on my 212+ w/3770K. 4.5 is doable also but I decided the extra 100mhz wasn't worth it to me. 4.6 is probably possible with the 212+, depending on tweaking CPU PLL, VTT, and IMC voltages. Other settings might also help in getting 4.6.

I lowered my CPU PLL to 1.7v and while I didn't notice a difference in temps, apparently it might help me lower vcore. I haven't tried it yet.

I have my 3770k clocked to 4.5ghz and it definitely runs hotter under load than the 2600k BUT it almost instantaneously drops back to idle temps of 33-38c which is great. I feel no difference in the room temperature with the new system either.

Noticeable upgrade -- cracked 11k under 3dmark 11, 9.10 under cinebench 11.5, with more tests to run to check stability. http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3321689;jsessionid=tn3ry8lhq8gy1cl4505e0d7pv

I'm curious what other people with an ASUS P8ZZ7-V class board use for their settings. So much to tweak in the UEFI, wow

So what we are all basicly saying is They REALY didnt need to put that chip out. lol

OH and 2700k is Price drop!,.ZING!.

Back