Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

Using a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ on a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H. Ram is 2133mhz. Only one stock fan on the cooler.

Not sure but it's possible I used a little too much grease. I did wiggle the cooler quite a bit to squish out any extra.

Edit: edited last image to show pci-e 3.0 in GPU-Z.

Last edited:
So far mine is chugging fine along using Prime95 at 4.5Ghz using 1.300v in the BIOS. Open Hardware Monitor isn't compatible with IB yet. It's showing weird clock speed, way up in the 5.5Ghz!!! Nice, if it it's really that speedy. CoreTemp64 is showing mine to be a Genuine Intel CPU (ES). Funny! Time for programmers to get to work again.

4.5 at what temps loaded? What cooler?

Ram doesnt meanmuch on 1155 platform but good results either way if you're happy. :)
''

Last edited:
One thing to note is that I'm doing this overclock while wanting to maintain all power saving options on. So right now it scales from [email protected] at idle to [email protected] under load. I don't know how much all these options affect stability. But I seem ok @4.5ghz.

Now that is what I really want to hear. Taking all the advantages without sacrificing anything else. Thanks for sharing!

Ram doesnt meanmuch on 1155 platform but good results either way if you're happy. :)
''

Looks like your attempts at bursting peoples bubbles is failing. :)

Back On Topic:
IB 3770k (no overclock yet, new to UEFI bios, need to get acquainted first)
Hyper 212 Evo in push/pull config

Prime 95 stress testing peaked gave me temps between high 50's and mid 60's between all the cores.

Just waiting for my games to finish downloading now so I can stretch it's legs, along with the new 680 it's feeding.

Open Hardware Monitor is showing temps 75-85 across the cores. This is on H100. It's doing 4.6Ghz now, still using the same vcore. Oops, it failed 4.6Ghz using 1.30v. Will try a different a little more vcore.
Dang, I'm leaning toward a 3570k as opposed to a 2500k, hoping for 4.6Ghz at 1.2 or 1.25v. Not liking my chances ...

Last edited:
Something must be off if you(LittleMeGo) are getting 70C at stock speeds. My 2600K running OCCT only gets to 51C with the 212+ with the included fan.

I know everyone has their own way of applying thermal paste but I like to smear a little inside the spaces between the pipes on the 212+ and then put a thin line on each pipe itself before installing it.

Something must be off if you(LittleMeGo) are getting 70C at stock speeds. My 2600K running OCCT only gets to 51C with the 212+ with the included fan.

I know everyone has their own way of applying thermal paste but I like to smear a little inside the spaces between the pipes on the 212+ and then put a thin line on each pipe itself before installing it.

I don't think the glob and squish method by LittleMeGo will yield the best results.:D

Yeah man that's fine I am gonna start some testing here soon. I re-loaded 7. I think I had a bad install couldn't do some updates and there were other issues. Think it is how I slipstreamed SP1. So I am back up and running stock right now. I will run another OCCT test 15 min this time and post temps etc. Then I will do an "Auto" OC see where that puts me and then for final I will see how far I can push it. Probablly will leave HT on and the other Power save stuff as mentioned above.

Honestlly though this is my first OC since my QX9650 this is my new step up and F*ck this thing SCREAMS. I get about 1,000 MB/s on my SSDs (R0) at least thats what HD Tune says...

7Iztr.jpg

Yeah but he isn't trying to cool a 2600K. He is trying to cool a 3770K. Might very well be his grease application but the 3770K isn't a 2600K.

@LittleMeEgo
You do take out the sticker before putting on your heat sink right?

Yes. I would love to get better temps. I had similar temps with the 2700K on the same mobo/hyper 212+ (edit:actually ~10c cooler, sorry). The side panel is off on the case and the heatsink is facing up. Maybe I should face it vertical so it blows the air towards the back of the case? I have it blowing upwards because my case, a p280, has fans and a grill on the top. (4th photo above shows vertical orientation)

Hmmm I have no idea. Thanks for your input. Maybe as I said above the orientation of the 212+ should be so it is vertical? I have it blowing the hot air upwards now. Well, the heatsink isn't even warm now so something must be wrong. I'll re-seat it again in a few minutes. Thanks again for your feedback on your 2600K with the 212+.

Last edited:
Open Hardware Monitor is showing temps 75-85 across the cores. This is on H100. It's doing 4.6Ghz now, still using the same vcore. Oops, it failed 4.6Ghz using 1.30v. Will try a different a little more vcore.

Your temps seem high for water cooling and 1.3v seems like too much voltage. Instead of increasing voltage you should consider lowering voltage.

What is PLL voltage at? Do you know if your memory is stable?

Hmmm I have no idea. Thanks for your input. Maybe as I said above the orientation of the 212+ should be so it is vertical? I have it blowing the hot air upwards now. Well, the heatsink isn't even warm now so something must be wrong. I'll re-seat it again in a few minutes. Thanks again for your feedback on your 2600K with the 212+.

Your voltage looks very nice. Fan on heat sink pointed up seems like a good direction. Only problem could be that the hot air from GPU directly below could be hurting cooling heat sink on CPU.

Seems a little warm but so according to many reviews it looks like IB is going to run hotter than SB.

I see you have a z77a-GD65 also. I saw they had a new bios last night. v10.5.

It clarified a couple of things for me. Don't know if it's more stable overall or not.

I installed it, but it removed the ability to adjust all the voltages... :confused: Went back to the last version.

Your voltage looks very nice. Fan on heat sink pointed up seems like a good direction. Only problem could be that the hot air from GPU directly below could be hurting cooling heat sink on CPU.

Seems a little warm but so according to many reviews it looks like IB is going to run hotter than SB.

Well my GPU is blowing the hot our out the back of the case when in use, and in these tests I'm not utilizing it. It's not putting out any heat for desktop CPU stress testing here. The gtx680 is has very little idle heat production.

I re-oriented the 212+ vertically so the fan is now blowing the air towards the back of the case. Same temps (70c w/p95 @stock). I'm using Arctic Alumina "premium ceramic polysynthetic thermal compound Arctic Silver". Maybe this grease is causing this issue?

My 2600K running OCCT only gets to 51C with the 212+ with the included fan.

Well, Krystm is reporting his water cooling is getting ~49c with the same CPU (3770K) I have so I seriously doubt that the 212+ will be only 2c warmer. Not sure what to make of it, yet.

Anand is reporting you should be able to get 4.5 GHz on 1.1Volts.

These numbers are disappointing. Either Intel gave them a hand picked sample, or he got damn lucky.

The ASUS Auto OC put me at 4.223 @ 1.232V so far Temps are 57-60C and holding. Half way though this test.

I installed it, but it removed the ability to adjust all the voltages... :confused: Went back to the last version.

Hmm I can adjust voltages just fine.

They did change the name for the compensation thing. went from having "levels" to being +xx%.

I don't think the glob and squish method by LittleMeGo will yield the best results.:D

Well, when I took the 212 off to re-orientate it, the grease looked perfect. That being, a thin, semi-transparent, even coating with no bubbles and no excess grease lifting up. My 212+ doesn't have significant gaps between the copper tubes, either.

Run 2 Finished. OCCT on ASUS "Auto OC"

4.2 GHz @ 1.232V - ~59C LOAD

Click Here if you Like Pretty Pictures

Gonna play with manual OC... wish me luck this is way different then I am used to haha LGA775 Days!

EDIT: uh is there a good guide to OCing SB / IB chips haha Damn none of the terms I am used to here haha.

Last edited:
Looks like your attempts at bursting peoples bubbles is failing. :)

Back On Topic:
IB 3770k (no overclock yet, new to UEFI bios, need to get acquainted first)
Hyper 212 Evo in push/pull config

Prime 95 stress testing peaked gave me temps between high 50's and mid 60's between all the cores.

Just waiting for my games to finish downloading now so I can stretch it's legs, along with the new 680 it's feeding.

Yeah because I don't have more to do than go online and burst bubbles over a cpu. :rolleyes: His results suck. A cpu at 3.9 at low volts at those temps is horrible. <<< So glad he has a 2600K oc'ed, these results all suck no offense but really it's all about how you guys enjoy them so if you do, so be it.

Yeah because I don't have more to do than go online and burst bubbles over a cpu. :rolleyes: His results suck. A cpu at 3.9 at low volts at those temps is horrible. <<< So glad he has a 2600K oc'ed, these results all suck no offense but really it's all about how you guys enjoy them so if you do, so be it.

You clearly don't have anything better to do as evident by:

1) The nature of all your posts in this thread
2) The fact that you don't even own IB yet you have a number of posts this IB dedicated thread, all negative. I haven't done the math, but you probably have more posts here than anyone else.

If you have something better to do like you're implying, how about you go do it.

Ok I am working on my OC now... its like 2 things to OC this is crazy easy hahah. Trying 4.5 at 1.2V and will lower as I go testing in 15 min increments etc at least for a bit.

Idling at 20-25C @ 4.5GHz 1.216V Testing has begun, Shot up to 56-57 almost instantly.... then failed 3 min in. I am trying 100x45 ATM Error was on core 7 ... HT sooo I guess I could turn that off.

Last edited:
Run 2 Finished. OCCT on ASUS "Auto OC"

4.2 GHz @ 1.232V - ~59C LOAD

Click Here if you Like Pretty Pictures

Gonna play with manual OC... wish me luck this is way different then I am used to haha LGA775 Days!

EDIT: uh is there a good guide to OCing SB / IB chips haha Damn none of the terms I am used to here haha.

try real temp see if you get the same temps as core temp and OCCT, 60c is pretty good for 1.2v at 4.2

My cpu maxes out at 4.3 at 1.14v which is stock volts for my chip using H100 I max out at 70, but my cores are way off and diff from each other.

Well I told myself I'd wait a couple days before OCing but couldn't help myself. Currently stress testing 4.1GHz @ 1.160v

Shuttle goes to Ramon, Ramon to Shuttle. Come on guys, give it a rest, let these enthusiasts enjoy their new cpus. Buy Ivy or don't buy Ivy but please shut the fuck up!

Well I'm done testing OC's for now. At least until I can figure out how to get more voltage with my Z77A-GD65 while keeping voltage scaling active...

At the moment I'm using Vdroop control to apply an offset to the voltage. It's allowing me to get 1.189v at its max setting.

With 1.189v, @4.5Ghz I can run prime 95 for 1hour no problem, Intel Burn test @High is all good.

I know I can run at 4.6 with more voltage... but I don't want to manually set a voltage.

Maybe down the road MSI will change some stuff and allow me to get more dynamic voltage range.

Shuttle goes to Ramon, Ramon to Shuttle. Come on guys, give it a rest, let these enthusiasts enjoy their new cpus. Buy Ivy or don't buy Ivy but please shut the fuck up!

I agree...

Back on topic. How is everyone setting their voltage? Auto, Manual or offset? I have the cpu voltage set to auto and fine tuning it using the offset option.

I'm leaving it on Auto and using "vdroop" settings in MSI bios to "offset". I haven't seen an "offset" setting. So I'm assuming it's my only option.

Here are my final settings for 4.5ghz.

This gives me all the bells and whistles + 4.5Ghz. I'm satisfied.

druneau4500mhz1.png

druneau4500mhz2.png

druneau4500mhz3.png

druneau4500mhz4.png

I am talking my time... just because I have to backup my current computer :(

But I did build my system (just need to take my videocard, ssd/hd, ram, etc out of my current system

523114_10100656372960417_29622837_50829105_693581310_n.jpg

Wow that looks pretty darn good!

I spent all week cleaning up my SSD's and backing up stuff so I could do my whole switch in <1hour.

It worked.. but I forgot to keep BF3 lol... so had to redownload to test 3770k...

Back