Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

MeanBruce

Gawd
Tomorrow is the official Ivy Bridge release day, but some lucky enthusiasts in Canada and Japan are taking their shiny new CPUs home today and thermal information is beginning to appear in various threads.

Please let us know your first impressions of the processor, cooling you are using, and your thermal results, thanks so much for your input!:)

CPU:3770k
Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 + 140mm antec truequiet @~750rpm
Mobo: Z77A-GD65
Thermal Compound : Old Chill Factor III (only thing I had laying around)

AMBIENT TEMP: 21.5c

Pics of setup
img9873u.jpg

img9875n.jpg

img9877e.jpg

I wasn't sure the cooler mounting plates would fit... they did! Also, bonus points to whomever spots what's wrong in one of those pictures.

Here's temps for
IDLE
STOCK (turbos 4 cores @3.7Ghz)
4.0Ghz
4.4Ghz

druneauibidle.png

druneauib3700.png

druneauib4000.png

druneauib4400.png

EDIT:

I ran Intel Burn Test @4.4Ghz just to see
druneauib4400ibt.png

Last edited:
wow that is really NICE!!!!1 Voltage + Temp!!!

Both Lower than my 2600k OCed 4.5

Impressed. i will run to Micro Center Tomorrow

Thanks for update

Nice! I'm considering grabbing the 3570k or whatever it is (without HT) pretty soon. Since my board only has one PCI-E slot the only real reason would be to use the 3.0 bandwidth.

Also, I spotted the "problem", nice job putting a single module on each channel.

Yep... I put the ram in the wrong slot.

I was rushing to get it built! Took 45minutes to rip out old parts and replace with IB.

Just for fun I put the CPU at 4.6Ghz and 1.250v. Seems ok after ~10minutes of Prime95. Max temp is 82c on one core.

So as soon as you increase voltage you get a good increase in temps.

Now, 1.250v might be over what is required for 4.6ghz, I'll got back and tune if I'm satisfied with stability.

Great photos, that 3770K processor is so beautiful, I could just cry! Just look at those idle temps, sniff sniffs:D

Thanks man for kicking the thread off in fine style, I owe ya one...

Last edited:
Just for fun I put the CPU at 4.6Ghz and 1.250v. Seems ok after ~10minutes of Prime95. Max temp is 82c on one core.

Now, 1.250v might be over what is required for 4.6ghz, I'll got back and tune if I'm satisfied with stability.

Those are some decent temps. I was looking to get the HR-02 Macho with 3770k, looks like good value just like I expected.

If you compare to Anandtech's results 1.25V is a lot for 4.6. They achieved ~4.7 with 1.2V. If you get some new results please share them, would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

So that cooler seems to be handling it pretty well, even 82C at 4.6 and 1.25V sounds okay.

Most people can get better or equal temps than that at 5.1 on a Sandy on air. Just sayin but good results.

Yeah but everyone knows by now IB will run cooler and draw less power at temps below 4.5-4.6. That's where IB shines. If you want crazy top clocks get SB. If you want moderate clocks, especially in htpc, SFF, and laptops, where less heat and power draw is more critical get IB. I chuckle when people complain 4.6GHz isn't enough. :D

Yeah but everyone knows by now IB will run cooler and draw less power at temps below 4.5-4.6. That's where IB shines. If you want crazy top clocks get SB. If you want moderate clocks, especially in htpc, SFF, and laptops, where less heat and power draw is more critical get IB. I chuckle when people complain 4.6GHz isn't enough. :D

Totally agree, glad someone finally nailed it! IB is also going to be the better choice for silent rigs, 12db or less! I'm lovin' this...But superclocks it's still SB!

Great thread, good posts.. I'll add my 2 cents in a week or two when I get them in house.

Idle on desktop I'm pulling 45w from the wall. Pretty impressive, my i5 760 was pulling 95w idle on desktop (only changes to system are mobo and cpu)

Running [email protected] it's using 140w

So I'm currently testing 4.5Ghz @ 1.169v ~74c max (very low fan speeds, ~500rpm)

I froze after 15 minutes @1.155v

(I took out the multimeter. I was getting pissed at my software measurements. 3 programs, three different values.)

Also, from what I'm seeing in a couple of things I ran, I now have ~1.75x the CPU power I had before with my i5 [email protected]

Last edited:
4.4Ghz with under 1.1v and temps staying well below 70*C
That is really nice on my books.
3785.jpg

Alright, I let prime95 on overnight, woke up at 2am to check on it, had hung 4.5Ghz 1.169v after around 1hour.

Bumped the offset to get 1.180v, it has been running for 4 hours.

I'll leave it like this for now.

I'm still downloading BF3 from origin... I want to see gaming temps.

I only have Witcher 2 right now which uses like 1 core lol... so doesn't heat up at all. (It does run amazingly better than before, I was surprised. A lot less hitching)

One thing to note is that I'm doing this overclock while wanting to maintain all power saving options on. So right now it scales from [email protected] at idle to [email protected] under load. I don't know how much all these options affect stability. But I seem ok @4.5ghz.

I cannot believe the 3770Ks are on sale at Amazon on day one! They say "in-stock" free two-day shipping if Amazon Prime, $349.99. I was expecting only Newegg to have them in stock the first 30days.

The reviewer at Amazon writes quote:

"This is the best and most affordable Extreme Processor in the world today, besides the 3960X, and the 3930X ( different platform LGA2011) this is the most powerful and affordable processor known to man. Nothing AMD makes comes close to it, and you do not even need a video card to use it."

I think he's excited.:)

ot2bZ.jpg

MMO0C.jpg

I have to use stupid high voltage to hit 4.6GHz, I'm stress testing just under 1.4v. I might have to concede and use 4.5 for 24/7.

ot2bZ.jpg

MMO0C.jpg

I have to use stupid high voltage to hit 4.6GHz, I'm stress testing just under 1.4v. I might have to concede and use 4.5 for 24/7.

Way to go Dephcon, you got your 3570K. That’s some high-quality air you are running. I just laterally-graded my NH-D14 of three years (Nov 2009) to an H100, temps are about the same, but love the extra real estate afforded by the SFF of the Corsair. Noctua is releasing the NH-D14 successor this year, the tri-tower with two NF-F12 focus flows, if you are in the market, it should be perfect for a silent rig like yours.

I will have posts up in a few hrs. 3770K / Z77 Saber / D-Tek Fuzion V2 / 2x 360 Rads/ 655 Pump. (Yes Overkill.... Waiting for 680 FTW / Water blocks)

damn, I just got a D14. I had a feeling they would come out with a higher fin density cooler with the F series fans

7GIMB.jpg

Last edited:
damn, I just got a D14. I had a feeling they would come out with a higher fin density cooler with the F series fans :(

7GIMB.jpg

I have so much information straight from the source Alexander at Noctua on the Focus Flows, I was not happy with the 1500rpm~22db too loud and the LNA adapter in the box only takes them down to 1200rpm~18db, still not good enough. So they sent me info on how to attach 3 NF-F12s with the included splitters and extensions to a single pwm controller that has 3 click button settings and a manual override, increases their rpm range from 1500 down to a low 300rpm~6db to 8db (Noctua claims). The NF-F12s can be severely undervolted and stay within their normal operating range. They go inaudible at about 700rpms for my ears but I still run them at 300rpm with excellent cooling when just using office apps. The controller was only like $15 from Performance-PCS. If ya want any more info let me know.:)

Let us know your test results when you get em later, thanks man.

Last edited:
BAH! I knew it. My plan way to use stock cooling for now and wait out for the next gen coolers. I'm leaving for Europe for 3 weeks soon, so I figured stock clocks and stock cooling wold hold me over until I get back. Not overclocking pre-release hardware turned out to be unbearable. I tried to get the Thermalright 1156 Rev B. mounting kit for my TRUE but it would have been $25 after the shipping.

I do find the D14 to be a little loud, however the Corsair 550D is pretty damn quiet. I still have the case on top of my desk and prime running 24/7 so I haven't had a chance to consider silencing options. I've never had a high end GPU so balancing for quiet/performance might be harder this time around.

Worst case they're new cooler is amazing and I get it along with haswell next year and trickle parts down to my server and htpc

I will have posts up in a few hrs. 3770K / Z77 Saber / D-Tek Fuzion V2 / 2x 360 Rads/ 655 Pump. (Yes Overkill.... Waiting for 680 FTW / Water blocks)

With those loops I'm expecting icy temps. Asus 680 non-ref is a sweet design.

oQq8m.jpg

Just made it back from MC. Got a 3770k/Asus Sabertooth Z77 and 3570k/Asus Z77 pro. Replacing i7-975x and i7-860 with these 2 new additions. Will get some temps later today.

Just made it back from MC. Got a 3770k/Asus Sabertooth Z77 and 3570k/Asus Z77 pro. Replacing i7-975x and i7-860 with these 2 new additions. Will get some temps later today.

Outrageous! This is making me stupid impatient, should I order and just look at the blue box for 2 months? Ahhhh come on Asus where's my ROG board?:p

I see you have a z77a-GD65 also. I saw they had a new bios last night. v10.5.

It clarified a couple of things for me. Don't know if it's more stable overall or not.

I see you have a z77a-GD65 also. I saw they had a new bios last night. v10.5.

It clarified a couple of things for me. Don't know if it's more stable overall or not.

Awesome, I'll have to give it a shot.

I bought a 3770k from MC. This was not available online, but it seems the i5 was. That was sold out before the doors opened.

Nothing much except a few pictures to show. No screenshots, either. Just pictures of the CPU.

DSC02303.jpg

DSC02301.jpg

DSC02305.jpg

DSC02306.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

3770K, Ordered! Be here Tuesday! You guys are having so much fun I just had to. YAY to self!:p

So far mine is chugging fine along using Prime95 at 4.5Ghz using 1.300v in the BIOS. Open Hardware Monitor isn't compatible with IB yet. It's showing weird clock speed, way up in the 5.5Ghz!!! Nice, if it it's really that speedy. CoreTemp64 is showing mine to be a Genuine Intel CPU (ES). Funny! Time for programmers to get to work again.

So far mine is chugging fine along using Prime95 at 4.5Ghz using 1.300v in the BIOS. Open Hardware Monitor isn't compatible with IB yet. It's showing weird clock speed, way up in the 5.5Ghz!!! Nice, if it it's really that speedy. CoreTemp64 is showing mine to be a Genuine Intel CPU (ES). Funny! Time for programmers to get to work again.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html

I'm using HWInfo64. Seems to read everything perfect (well voltage is up in the air)

Back