Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

So the fact that I'm using Vista instead of Windows 7 is why my GFlops are much lower? Ugh.

Even Classic Shell isn't enough for me to switch to Windows 7. I still need to find UI mods for the taskbar, control panel, personalization and a few other things I can't remember right now. Oh, and a surefire way to turn ClearType off completely. (Why Microsoft removed classic features still available in Vista and changed the UI seemingly only for the sake of change is beyond me; now they're going even further in Windows 8 by getting rid of the start menu entirely! Every company seems to be going downhill the longer they're in service.)

If all Windows 7 does is improve benchmark scores, then that's fine, as I can live with low scores. If it actually improves performance anywhere else, then damnit, I need another SSD.

You also need the newest libraries which support Linpack (the actual benchmark IBT uses) to ensure that the AVX instruction set is being utilized, this will push your GFlops to around 103-105 at 4.4GHz with HT on.

About interfaces, I used to prefer the classic Windows 2000 style setup, but I actually like Win 7 Aero now. I also like OSX though :)

Hey folks, I've had my new 3770k system for about a month now and I am looking to OC it but this will be the first time that I ever attempted it. I've read a few pages and I've been able to piece together what I have to do but I just won't be certain that I don't screw things up. I have my system's specifications are in my signature and I am looking for a mild OC of 4.3 GHz.

I have run IBT on Very High (4GB) and it passed the stress test. I have included pics of before and after the IBT test to give you an idea of what temperature I am starting off with.

I understand that in the bios I have to bump up the multiplier to 43 and leave the speed at 100Mhz but as this is a mild OC should I adjust any other settings ? For example, the vcore, LLC, memory voltage, etc.

Thanks for any and all feed back.

Before IBT test:
beforeibttestjun28.jpg

During IBT test:
duringibttestjun28.jpg

After IBT Test:
afteribttestjun28.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bishop. 4.3 is a very mild overclock and can be done possibly without any bump in voltage. I do have a concern with your temperatures though. I defaulted my processor to test IBT very high at default and my hottest core is 55 degrees. Thats about 25 degrees cooler than you are running. I don't know if I can recommend overclocking until you get your temps in check.

Thanks Chronicfx, I will try pulling my cooler and reseat it with a little more TIM. Hopefully that will address my temperature problem.

Hey all, just got my 3570k and punched in a modest OC to 4.7 using a 0.110 offset. I'm finding the temps uncomfortably high (75-80 C), but only in stress-testing applications. In gaming and everyday use I'm seeing them top out about 10-15 C lower. So I'm working on going higher, tweaking 4.8. :)

I couldn't even boot at 4.4 (with +0.100) until I disabled EPU and Spread Spectrum. I was starting to get worried! :p

Hey all, just got my 3570k and punched in a modest OC to 4.7 using a 0.110 offset. I'm finding the temps uncomfortably high (75-80 C), but only in stress-testing applications. In gaming and everyday use I'm seeing them top out about 10-15 C lower. So I'm working on going higher, tweaking 4.8. :)

I couldn't even boot at 4.4 (with +0.100) until I disabled EPU and Spread Spectrum. I was starting to get worried! :p

Thats awesome. Whats your voltage and temps under extreme load for 4.7 and then for 4.8? I need too much of a jump for 4.8 to wanna do it 24/7.

Last edited:
Thats awesome. Whats your voltage and temps under extreme load for 4.7 and then for 4.8? I need too much of a jump for 4.8 to wanna do it 24/7. Whats EPU, I don't seem to have that one, at least in that wording.

You're not doing it right then, because you need to really dial the volts in with this chip and precisely achieve what you need at the right increment. It's very touchy.

Anything that dumps more voltage is going to reduce life span, and the more you increase the sooner it will degrade. So yes.

I am not sure how to interpret this.

Which is worse; having a constant high voltage or one that shifts depending on what you happen to be doing at the moment?

My z77 board does not have a simple "on" or "off" setting. It has "auto", "100%", "50%" and "0%" - so when I read people telling others to turn LLC "on" or "off" I have no idea if they mean to have the voltage be stable or variable.

:confused:

This whole time I have been going off what Ananda had to say about it which is to leave it well enough alone and let it droop rather than feeding it a constant fixed amount.

I don't think I can even perceive any increased performance at 4.5GHz vs stock (turbo to 3.7GHz), just overclocking for the fun of it haha.

That's something I noticed with even Sandy Bridge (both i5-2500K and i7-2600K) as well.

The performance wall with both (for most users) is, based on reportage here at [H], somewhere in the 4 GHz range for all except niche apps. Hence my basically deciding that 4.2 GHz (which requires *maybe* a non-stock HSF, though it can be doable with a stock HSF depending on case airflow) will be my absolute (self-imposed) ceiling.

Even 4.2 GHz will absatively posilutely destroy any sort of CPU bottleneckage in anything I'd be running (games OR applications), and especially with 16GB of RAM on tap.

That is the reason I decided in favor of i5-3570K (vice i5-2500K); lower power requirements for the same overclocking AND that I'd make back the (minimal) cost difference in less than one calendar year - simply on electric-bill savings.

Which is worse; having a constant high voltage or one that shifts depending on what you happen to be doing at the moment?

My z77 board does not have a simple "on" or "off" setting. It has "auto", "100%", "50%" and "0%" - so when I read people telling others to turn LLC "on" or "off" I have no idea if they mean to have the voltage be stable or variable.

This whole time I have been going off what Ananda had to say about it which is to leave it well enough alone and let it droop rather than feeding it a constant fixed amount.

C1E / EIST in modern intel cpu's lowers volts and mhz when idle or not doing much, so this does help alot with voltage degredation. The times it would be running full voltage would be under a full load, which depends on what app or how long you use it and the user etc.

There is nothing to interpret. Higher than stock voltages cause degredation, period. The amount unknown, the damage unknown, all luck of the draw and random. Some people can jack volts up on Sandys for a year or more now and have zero problems, others have reported damage (i'e noticeable performance degredation) and or lower overclocks after just months. It's really a game of chance. But not one to usually worry too much about. I have had cpu'z overclocked in 98 that still work flawless today in 2012. It all depends.

I think I understand.

Is everyone these days pretty much in agreement that using C1E (and I guess all C-states or just some?) while having Speed Step and using a variable (vdroop) voltage is the best way to go in order to minimize the degradation of the CPU?

I am not sure where I picked up the notion that having the multipliers and voltage constantly in a state of flux was doing more harm than good.

:eek:

You are talking about two concepts:

1) Offset vs. manual voltage - using offset allows you to take advantage of power saving to slow the CPU down and save power/heat when it is not loaded, IMO it is the way to go except for max bench runs (LN2 etc)
2) LLC - this reduces the amount of Vdroop, but has the effect of increasing idle vcore as well when using offset

Sounds like you have it figured out, offset is the way to go for most people :) Very happy with it myself.

I think I understand.

Is everyone these days pretty much in agreement that using C1E (and I guess all C-states or just some?) while having Speed Step and using a variable (vdroop) voltage is the best way to go in order to minimize the degradation of the CPU?

I am not sure where I picked up the notion that having the multipliers and voltage constantly in a state of flux was doing more harm than good.

Gotta watch those c states while you have LLC enabled, causes the infamous 0124 blue screen, aka the random blue screen at any given time doing anything even idle, if your cpu is 100% stable to boot.

I think I understand.

I wouldn't worry too much about voltage degradation - it is very unlikely you will experience any problems with it at any reasonable voltage, over any reasonable CPU lifespan. It really isn't a significant worry for most users - just extreme overclockers.

Back