Post Your NEW 3DMark Sky Driver Benchmark Results

I thought i was do a bit better, then again i havent overclocked anything.

2nc2ywj.png

Wait... looking at Deacon_Jones1988's results... a 5 GHz octo-core AMD chip is only just-ahead of my 4.5 GHz quad-core i5?

Good thing this bench seems to be able to actually make use of 8 threads. Parallelism seems to be AMD's saving grace here.

SkyDiver1.png

Link to score http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3377026

Was running my CPU at 4.6, will crank it back up to 4.8 when I get home today and see how it affects things.
I swear the first time I ran this benchmark I got a 28000-ish score, but I didn't save it, so maybe I'm just crazy?

Score 24110
GPU 36139
CPU 9697
Combined 19034

Wait... looking at Deacon_Jones1988's results... a 5 GHz octo-core AMD chip is only just-ahead of my 4.5 GHz quad-core i5?

Good thing this bench seems to be able to actually make use of 8 threads. Parallelism seems to be AMD's saving grace here.

Seems like you need more cores. Time to upgrade!

Seems like you need more cores. Time to upgrade!
I'm not sure how you've read the thread up to this point and reached to the conclusion that one needs additional cores to get a higher score in this benchmark :confused:

Only 645 points behind the octo-core I mentioned in that quote. OCing a bit further will mop up that difference. Sky Diver seems to like additional speed per-core just as much as it likes a pile of slower cores.

And for the purposes of this benchmark, HyperThreading appears to be just as effective as additional cores. Jumping up from a quad-core i5 to a quad-core i7 would immediately land me an extra 4000 points in the physics test.

Last edited:
SkyDiver1.png

Link to score http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3377026

Was running my CPU at 4.6, will crank it back up to 4.8 when I get home today and see how it affects things.
I swear the first time I ran this benchmark I got a 28000-ish score, but I didn't save it, so maybe I'm just crazy?

Score 24110
GPU 36139
CPU 9697
Combined 19034

Question (I don't have 3D Mark so forgive the ignorance), but how is there a Score and a Combined score? Shouldn't the combined score be the "Score?" How does the program differentiate?

I'm not sure how you've read the thread up to this point and reached to the conclusion that one needs additional cores to get a higher score in this benchmark :confused:

Only 645 points behind the octo-core I mentioned in that quote. OCing a bit further will mop up that difference. Sky Diver seems to like additional speed per-core just as much as it likes a pile of slower cores.

And for the purposes of this benchmark, HyperThreading appears to be just as effective as additional cores. Jumping up from a quad-core i5 to a quad-core i7 would immediately land me an extra 4000 points in the physics test.

Call me stupid, but I read his post as an attempt at humor and sarcasm - not a suggestion to upgrade...:confused:

Call me stupid, but I read his post as an attempt at humor and sarcasm - not a suggestion to upgrade...:confused:

Yes, it was intended to be humorous and sarcastic. :) Also it is bad form in threads where the OP asks to post your score on a benchmark, to trash talk another forum user's PC based on said benchmark results. It discourages other forum users from posting their scores for fearing of being goaded and made fun of. [H]ardocp prides itself on real world testing, and even though these threads are about a static benchmark, the information inside is still useful. But Unknown-One doesn't have the ability to recognize basic etiquette so I figured I'd sarcastically tell him to upgrade his PC.

I know that he could overclock his CPU and get a better score. Nobody else in the thread made fun of another user's PC choice but him. I could see if someone had said, Hey Unknown-One! Why do you have the lowest CPU score so far?" Then his post may have been warranted. As is I just see him as a divisive person that hates everyone's choice that wasn't the same as his. He just can't wait to tell the world why you're stupid and he's brilliant.

And that's just sad.

Ahh come on that was a bit harsh....I didn't interpret it that way at all..please edit your post

Last edited:
Question (I don't have 3D Mark so forgive the ignorance), but how is there a Score and a Combined score? Shouldn't the combined score be the "Score?" How does the program differentiate?

well because there different tests...its just giving you the score form each test...thats all...if memory serves me the combined test is the last one.....but what ever the case may be it just a score form that test......if you remember one of them is called combined and it works both the card and cpu quite hard at the same time....which 3dmark doesn't normally do

Nobody else in the thread made fun of another user's PC choice but him.
Uh, what?

I was pointing out the the fact that this bench doesn't seem to have its head screwed-on right when scoring performance gains by cores vs. performance gained by IPC. The scoring is waaaay out of whack.

That wasn't intended as a dig, the scoring simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We've got an instance where 4 cores are scoring the same as 8, which would suggest that the AMD chip has roughly 1/2 the IPC per-core (which isn't true).

And then you throw Hyperthreading into the mix and there are massive gains on two otherwise-identical chips (i5 vs. i7)... so your score bloats even though most games don't see much (if any) benefit from hyper-threading.

Last edited:
Ahh come on that was a bit harsh....I didn't interpret it that way at all..please edit your post

It's a culmination of his recent posting history. I think ideas should be free to flow on message boards without fear of others disparaging you. I'm just discussing how trollish his recent posts have become lately. He typically starts with something like this to get a reaction so he can start a troll fest. I love debate as much as the next person. I think it's great that people think differently about what's a good course of action than others. At the end of a debate it's fine to agree to not agree. It really is!

I'll just add him to ignore. ;) I'll leave my post up as it's exactly how I honestly feel. If anyone feels it's unwarranted then report it and Kyle will remove it. No harm intended and it's removal won't hurt my feelings in the slightest. :)

I'm just discussing how trollish his recent posts have become lately. He typically starts with something like this to get a reaction so he can start a troll fest.
You act like I intend for people to blow up at nothing...

Seriously, the only thing here I'm pissy about is how little sense the CPU score makes in this benchmark. It seems to hand out higher scores simply because more cores (even if they're only logical cores) are present.

Go ahead, please explain how doing nothing but enabling Hyperthreading (which generally shows a 20% performance boost in the very-best-scaling applications) leads to a 50% higher CPU score.

I'll just add him to ignore. ;) I'll leave my post up as it's exactly how I honestly feel.
Or miss the point, fly off the handle, and add someone to your ignore list for no good reason... that works too :confused:

Last edited:
If I had to guess:

GPU Score = Disregards CPU performance (performance data weighted towards test 1 and 2)
CPU Score = Disregards GPU performance (performance data weighted towards test 3)
Combined Score = Factors-in both CPU and GPU (performance data weighted towards test 4)

And then your final score is calculated from those three things... somehow.

If I had to guess:

GPU Score = Disregards CPU performance (performance data weighted towards test 1 and 2)
CPU Score = Disregards GPU performance (performance data weighted towards test 3)
Combined Score = Factors-in both CPU and GPU (performance data weighted towards test 4)

And then your final score is calculated from those three things... somehow.

Makes sense, but there are four total categories:

Score
GPU Score
CPU Score
and Combined Score...

What's the difference between the first and last item then?

Makes sense, but there are four total categories:

Score
GPU Score
CPU Score
and Combined Score...

What's the difference between the first and last item then?
Last line in my post covered that. Still a guess, but this is what I'm figuring:

Combined Score = results from CPU + GPU test (Test #4).
Score = results from CPU + GPU test AND results from CPU-only test AND results from GPU-only tests (Test #1, 2, 3, and 4).

Basically, "combined" refers to the fact that Test #4 is a combination CPU + GPU test (where as the other tests tend to target either the CPU or the GPU).

Last edited:
Last line in my post covered that. Still a guess, but this is what I'm figuring:

Combined Score = results from CPU + GPU test (Test #4).
Score = results from CPU + GPU test AND results from CPU-only test AND results from GPU-only tests (Test #1, 2, 3, and 4).

Basically, "combined" refers to the fact that Test #4 is a combination CPU + GPU test (where as the other tests tend to target either the CPU or the GPU).

OH! Got you. I must have misunderstood the first time. Thanks for clarifying.

actually on that run, my cpu is at 4.4ghz, just didn't update my signature :)

Not lighting the world on fire, but for a re-purposed mining gpu off of eBay and an 2500k, i'll take it!

Although, my gpu was only at 100% utilization for first 2 parts. For 3rd it was around 80% and 4th it was around 60%?

k9yo29.jpg

Last edited:
Although, my gpu was only at 100% utilization for first 2 parts. For 3rd it was around 80% and 4th it was around 60%?
3DMark uses CPU-based physics. If it manages to max-out your CPU, your graphics card has to sit and wait for data

I've also got a 2500k, and I'm seeing exactly the same thing. Can only calculate physics fast enough to churn out ~80 FPS in test #4.

Here is mine currently haha.

On my laptop (A10-5757m 2.5ghz base, 3.5ghz turbo) Fastest Amd mobile cpu out currently until the new FX steam roller chips hit market.

Here is mine currently haha.

On my laptop (A10-5757m 2.5ghz base, 3.5ghz turbo) Fastest Amd mobile cpu out currently until the new FX steam roller chips hit market.

are you able to play games on it? wonder if bf4 would run on it lol:eek: would be grate if mantel helped right?

yes games run on it just fine.

I mean its not going to run the games at their highest settings, but simliar the xbox one and ps4 settings.

Tessellation ON in CCC

Tessellation OFF in CCC

Over 20K physics score...impressive...except when buying the cpu $1,049.99 ouch...i'll say one thing its an upgrade from what i have...soon as i can buy one or comparable xeon at $200 it be time to rebuild again;)I just don't see the point in rebuilding unless i can get that kind of upgrade...truthfully it is exactly what im holding out for....thats a hell of a score

Over 20K physics score...impressive...except when buying the cpu $1,049.99 ouch...i'll say one thing its an upgrade from what i have...soon as i can buy one or comparable xeon at $200 it be time to rebuild again;)I just don't see the point in rebuilding unless i can get that kind of upgrade...truthfully it is exactly what im holding out for....thats a hell of a score

Yes, see that's the type of upgrade that the PC enthusiast community has been waiting for. A few more frames, a few less watts; it just doesn't excite us. Jumping up an order of magnitude? Hell yea!

Ok, so I updated to the latest AMD drivers and got worse performance, but that was also running it remotely. Just ran it in person and scores were MUCH better

f06tsh.png

2600K @ 4ghz or something... 8gb RAM and my brand new 750ti. Pretty good showing when you consider just how cheap all this hardware is:

5d9TUtm.jpg

just thought it was kinda interesting...the video card running in low power mode during the physics test......and it never even reaches 100% on the cpu......think it spiked to about 94% at most......funny how it pegs some of the cpus to 100% thru the hole test....
And the card running in low power mode...wasn't expecting that...course i guess it wouldn't matter since its really just a cpu test..

Capture_zps1cb6a90e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is really just a wonky benchmark for high end rigs. Scores seem to be all over the place. I guess it's because it's supposed to be for gaming laptops?

This is really just a wonky benchmark for high end rigs. Scores seem to be all over the place. I guess it's because it's supposed to be for gaming laptops?

I don't personally agree with that but at the same time I think its been a very long time if ever 3dmark has ever graded the cpu power and gpu power it seems equally...Some would argue hyper threading shouldn't be relevant in coming up with a physics score...everyone is entitled to there opinion...I have turned it off to play certain games and just found it to get less performance
It seems the people getting very high scores have very powerful cpus and gpus where as some of the older 3dmark test really only tested the gpus.....is pretty much my take on it

just thought it was kinda interesting...the video card running in low power mode during the physics test......and it never even reaches 100% on the cpu......think it spiked to about 94% at most......funny how it pegs some of the cpus to 100% thru the hole test....
Well, most of us are running quad cores (or quad cores with hyperthreading), where as you're running a hexa-core with hyperthreading.

It's possible their physics engine isn't set up to make use of more than 12 threads, so you're right on the cusp of diminishing returns. Just a guess.

And the card running in low power mode...wasn't expecting that...course i guess it wouldn't matter since its really just a cpu test..
Yeah, I've re-run Sky Diver with my GPU forced to run at full boost clock all the way through, and it doesn't make any difference to the score. This bench is just really, really CPU limited.

Some would argue hyper threading shouldn't be relevant in coming up with a physics score...
I'm fine with Hyperthreading being included, as long as the performance gains map linearly to the point-gains.

Problem is, 3DMark seems to be just giving out free points because it sees more cores, not because it's actually running any faster because of them.

Last edited:
Back