Post your MSI Neo2 Platinum results here

Weird. I'd seen people comment there'd been some fluctuating quality on the Ballistix but I didn't put much stuck into it, guess some are not coming out right though. I just ran a second Prime test (first one was small FTTs, this one Blend, both over 12 hrs) and had no errors. Someone mentioned once they were actually less stable with real slack timings than with the stock ones but you said you ran close to stock timings and were still having problems (and one of the early tests I did was with 2.5-3-3-10-1T instead, no problems there).

I guess you're right, worth considering the RMA. On the upside, from what I've seen Crucial's support is pretty good and they sure ship stuff out fast (whenever I've ordered lotsa parts, RAM's always arrived before anything else if I ordered it from them :p ).

Maybe someone in this thread can help, I just got my neo2 Platinum the other day. I have two sticks of 512MB Corsair 3200C2PT that I cannot get to run DDR400 Dual Channel. They're always bumped down to DDR333 Dual Channel, if I use both sticks. I've tried the top two slots, as well as the bottom two and it does not work. Any suggestions?

Impulse said:
Y2J, have you actually tried going way higher (like 260+) and dropping in the memory divider? I read a review a while ago that claimed the Neo2 board was pretty unstable at FSB frequencies between like 235-255 but it'd run much smoother at lower and higher (with a divider) frequencies.

Doesn't seem to make much sense but it's worth a shot if you haven't, could drop the multi to 9 and try 260+ with a 3x HT and a memory divider so it's running at under 230.

Is there any substance to that theory? Anyone else noticed this? I've been running 220Mhz with a 11x multi at stock voltage (1.4V) on my 90nm 3500+ perfectly stable but when i try to go for 235-240 so i can rest at the 2600Mhz mark i get hard lockups at boot. I was able to get it booted at 240Mhz with 1.55V + 5% but i dont think it was stable. I'm going to try lowering the multiplier to 10x and go for 260Mhz+ to see if that helps any.

BTW, does the Neo2 undervolt on the vCore or does it just report lower then what it actually is? When i had it set to 1.55V i was getting around 1.50V-1.52V usually.

heres neo2 with 0439korea chipset and Gskill LE 2x512 at 2.5-3-3-7-1T..2.65V and Zippy 700W psu :D
3427-1.JPG

3427-2.JPG

winchester core 3200+ @ 2.6

Stable, passes 3dmark, superpi and prime no problem.
Idle 33c
load 45c

The movement of DDR Booster and DIMMs sorted out everything (as mentioned ages ago).

The ram (as sig) was in slots 3 and 4 with the booster in slot 2 (as a cap prevents it from going in slot 1). I thought it wouldn't fit in any other slot. Wrong.

Took all the bits out, put the ram back in 1 and 2. I left 3 empty and put the booster in 4. It's a squeeze, but it does fit. I thought it wouldn't because of the heatspreaders on both sides of Ballistix. I now get 214MHz at 2-2-2-8 rock solid. Which isn't too shabby.

ColinR said:
The movement of DDR Booster and DIMMs sorted out everything (as mentioned ages ago).

The ram (as sig) was in slots 3 and 4 with the booster in slot 2 (as a cap prevents it from going in slot 1). I thought it wouldn't fit in any other slot. Wrong.

Took all the bits out, put the ram back in 1 and 2. I left 3 empty and put the booster in 4. It's a squeeze, but it does fit. I thought it wouldn't because of the heatspreaders on both sides of Ballistix. I now get 214MHz at 2-2-2-8 rock solid. Which isn't too shabby.

If you have a DDR Booster, you really should be using BH-5. TCCD and (id assume) Micron chips dont like alove of voltage, and would probably crispy fry which as muhc voltage as the booster allows. I had 2x512 HyperX BH-5 and with 3.6v was able to rock out at 260mhz 2-2-2-10...booster in 2, ram in 3/4. BH-5 is starting to hit the sub $250 price range now that TCCD is making its mark. Without a booster you want somethign like TCCD or Ballistix, but with a booster, your gunna see amazing results with BH-5.

Has anyone here had any kind of problem with both lan ports on the neo2?
I have this computer , K8n neo2 platinum with windows XP , along with an old win 98 computer hooked into the same comcast cable connection through a netgear rp114 router. The old win98 comp gets the new 4mbps down 350ish kbps up speed. The neo2 with winXP only gets 2.1mbps down and 350ish kbps up. I used both the nforce and realrek lan ports. They both are limiting me to half of what I should get. I don't know what's going on. I guess I might have some bad settings in winXP. Thanks for any help.

Well I just bougth a new rig (check my sig) but I´m having some "problems" with my memory.
I can run it with no problems at 2-2-2-5 1T from 200mhz to 212mhz, I can do the 275mhz at the spec timings (2.5-4-4-5). But my limit is a low (seen many benches and reviews going far beyond that) 280Mhz with timings 2.5-4-4-5.

If I try to low timings from 275-280 it becomes unstable, going up it would post even load windows till 320mhz but I cannot run superpi, 3dmark or any game. Only changing to 2T I can get some stability but it is the same as having the memorya at 275 at 1T (or less).

I have tried the following: voltages going from 2.6v to 2.85, not overclocking the processor (multiplier at low 8X), also setting cas to 3 is a no go doesn´t matter if it is at 250-280-310mhz, lowering timings...

What else can do? it´s strange because as said I can even load windows from 280 to 320mhz but it´s just not stable, with other memories I had before (other systems) they always get unstable but 5-10mhz before it wont boot, so maybe i´m missing something here.

I´m not overclocking the video card (yet) and the processor run stable at 2.6+ghz.

can someone give me some advice?

What are you running to make sure it's the memory and not the processor that's failing? Given the high FSBs you're testing it could be either unless you're doing independent Memtest86 testing with the proc on a lower multi. Not even sure why you even need to run it that high with a 3500, isn't the multi on that 11? At 275 you're already going way past what's feasible on air-cooling...

Impulse said:
What are you running to make sure it's the memory and not the processor that's failing? Given the high FSBs you're testing it could be either unless you're doing independent Memtest86 testing with the proc on a lower multi. Not even sure why you even need to run it that high with a 3500, isn't the multi on that 11? At 275 you're already going way past what's feasible on air-cooling...

It´s not the procesor, as said before I´m testing several configurations, to make sure it´s not the processor I have tried the multi at 8X, 7.5x... so 2.4ghz or less it´s not a challenge for my processor as I can run it stable at 2.61ghz with memory at 275mhz 9.5multi and 3X HT (memtest, superpi, 3dmark).

The memory is rated to do 275 2.5-4-4-5 but all the overclocking I can get out of it is lowering the timings to 2.5-4-3-5, if I try 275Mhz 2.5-3-3-5 it becomes unestable.

Also tried 3-4-4-5 up to 320mhz and it boot but XP crashes or cannot run benchmarks.

The only way to make it stable beyond 280Mhz is setting it at 2T instead of 1T but it gives me the same numbers as runing at 275mhz 2.5-4-3-5 1T =(

I think using the nForce 3 LAN and disabling the onboardrealtek LAN is advisable. I haven't gotten my board going yet. MSI forum is good for trouble shooting.

morkys said:
I think using the nForce 3 LAN and disabling the onboardrealtek LAN is advisable. I haven't gotten my board going yet. MSI forum is good for trouble shooting.

I would be enclined to think the opposite. On the Neo2, the nForce3 SATA ports do not have a PCI lock, only the other ones do (i think there realtek, maybe SI, not really sure). While I havent done testing, would it not be logical to think the nForce3 LAN doesn't lock either. I use the realtek and dont have any problems running 300mhz 2.5-3-3-7-1t.

Stock cooling, specs are in my signature.

It's as far as I can get it, even if I bump up the voltage :(

Got an XP-90 & 92mm Tornado coming in a couple days, maybe that will help me get past this ceiling :D

I'm new to amd64.
I'm running 3000+ winny 0501 939, msi k8n neo2 plat.
I'm trying to rase the CPU FSB to.. whatever! 250? 210.. nothing works, it stuck at 201 and does not react on whatever i set for cpu fsb..
Do I have a defective board? Am I doing something wrong?

Sikish, drop HTT to x4 from x5. The limit is 1000 and has very little headroom.

Thank you ColinR, changing HTT from 5x to 4x helped.
My spects:
3000+ winny 0501. water cooled. (10%) 1.61V at about 38C
K8N neo2 plat korean chipset. default heatsink. 1.41 Bios
2x512 Geil PC4200 in slots 1&2. 2.8V 2T, 4, 4, 8, 4 timings for now.
2x120Gig WB, 160G WB, 160G Seagate.
BFG 6800U DD NV-68 block.
Audigy 2, DVD, DVD-RW
X-Connect 500W psu.

I cannot load windows at anything above FSB 231 at very relaxed timings! I've tried lowering CPU multiplaier to 4x to insure it's not the CPU. Since I have 6800 Ultra I could not fit chipset waterblock on the chipset. I've applied artic silver 5 to the chipset and went with default sink.
As you see my OC SUCKS! is it my board? memory?
I have HTT at 4x. I've tried 1x with the same results.

Make sure you set your AGP to 67Mhz to activate AGP/PCI Lock. Also, SATA 1&2 don't lock properly (at least they don't for me).

I was stuck at 225 on old memory, new stuff will do 290mhz @ 2.5-4-4-9, Joy!

Man I love this board!

Have a 3000+ Winchester running at 275 mhx ht. I need to upgrade my memory so I can run closer to a 1:1 but other than that this board rocks.

XP-120 keeps it nice and cool too. I've booted into windows with as high as 295 ht so far. 300 crashed my system.

Found my max cpu is just under 2.5 ghz. Memory max is crappy at under 460 ddr so I'm running a divider atm.

Can't wait to get my 6600 gt in a few days to see a huge improvement over my 9600 pro :D

Soon I will have my 3500+ Winchester and I will be able to start my first AMD adventure!!

Since I have 6800 Ultra I could not fit chipset waterblock on the chipset. I've applied artic silver 5 to the chipset and went with default sink.
As you see my OC SUCKS! is it my board? memory?
I have HTT at 4x. I've tried 1x with the same results.

I'm not sure I'd use an X-Connect 500 with a 6800 Ultra and the rest of your system. Can you try a different power supply?

I've bought the DD maze4 chipset block with brass top, and in order to fit it under my BFG 6800U I had to flip the brass top upside down. Very tight but nice fit. I've got TCCD pc4000 2x512 memory and the highest I can hit is 280 1:1 kind of disapointing. I'm currently running my 3200+ at 10x250 prime stable, the proc will do 10x265 but prime95 gets an error in a few minutes. I've also overclocked my BFG 6800U to 480/1300 wich helps at high res :)
for cooling I have Black Ice eXtrim 2, 2x black ice micro 80mm rads, 1048 pump (Mark II sucked), DD Maze4 CPU, DD maze4 chipset, DD NV68 video card block, m-Cube tBalancer fan controller. from Black ice eXtrim water goes to CPU block, then goes to first micro before going to the chipset block, and from the chipset block to the second micro and to the video card block. Temp are fine. All of it fit in to the Lian-Li PC75 case.
I'll wait for Venice to come out to get better OC.

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (duh)
3000+ Venice Core A64
Thermalright XP-90 w/Thermaltake 90mm Silent Cat
2x 512MB sticks Corsair DDR-400
Geforce 6800 128MB

Max stable OC: 2.65Ghz
FSB: 312Mhz
Multiplier: 8.5

Having problems with my SATA DVD-R and overclocking. With the drive unplugged, I can run fine, as soon as I plug it in, I start having issues. I've heard about the 1&2 SATA ports not locking the bus properly problem, so I have the SATA drive in port 3. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone had this board just shut off on them out of the blue? I've had it only twice under intense gaming. Just flat turns off.

I also have issues with lockups. I had to use every tweak in the book to get HL2 to run correctly. The new Battelfield 2 demo plays fine for 2 or 3 hours and then locks with looping sounds or just hard freeze.

I'm running completely stock. I know I should run memtest. Outside of that, what do I run to narrow down my problems. I have a 500 watt Fotron PSU. Heat isn't the problem because I ran with side of case off.

After testing stuff, I'm just inclined to start returning things. I'm not even overclocking this thing. HT is at 4x after updating bios to 1.8.

hey guys i have som basic mushkin ram. i bought some back in nov of last year, and then i bought some last week. they want to run at diff timings....2.5-3-3-7 (old stick) and the other wants to run 3-4-4-8 (new stick) by SPD. the trip is that if i set the timings to 3-4-4-8 only the new rams works. the old ram wont run at the slower timings. but if i set the timings to 2.5-3-3-7 then they both work. this makes the only condition where the old stick will work is 2.5-3-3-7 or auto. new stick seems to work at those setting or by its spd.

so anyway if i set timings to auto (or i set them to the 2.5-3-3-7) no matter what combination i use both sticks at i get ddr333/166mhz ram speed. if i use each stick individually its fine. doesnt matter if i use dual channel or single channel, if they are both in there its ddr333 :(

any suggestions?

Back