Post your MS live search Cashback Issues / Failures / and Bait Scam theories Here.

CaptainSoble

Limp Gawd
Starting to wonder how many people out there have had cashback failures and if there is good cause for concern out there. Microsoft has set things up to make the cashback ordeal as confusing, and as difficult as possible.

For example in my case, going through the cashback process with HP to get 40% off was very difficult due to so called "connection difficulties", etc. I have never experienced these difficulties when ordering a product from newegg, etc. From a Multi-Billion Dollar company like Microsoft, you would think that they could handle something like this. I think it's definitely a big possiblility that the whole ms live cashback is mereley a baiting tactic, and if you do get screwed definitely take up your complaint to microsoft and the company you purchased your product from.

It's possible. I saw people complaining about the HP deal but I've had good success with the Ebay stuff. Worse case, I'll end up paying like 10-20 above Newegg prices one time after it really dies but in the time while all the cash is posting to my account, I'll probably keep using it until it fails. Gain 200+, lose 20 once. I'll roll the dice just like I roll the dice on MIRs. I've never had a MIR fail on me. Sure it could happen but it's more a cost/benefit thing that depends on your personality I guess.

On the whole, I'm probably more likely to trust MS than like worldwiderebates.com or rebateaccess.com, especially since I have multiple copies of free Vista Ultimate directly from MS from "jumping through more hoops."

I had CashBack canceled because a seller refunded my shipping, as I was in the same city as him.

Emailed MS, they reactivated it. Should be getting it back soon.

It amazes me that people complain about this, Microsoft is giving you money basically for free, sometimes there are some headaches involved but something is better than nothing. I too am having problems with one of my HP 40% off purchases, however I have already received over $1k in cash back so enjoy it while it lasts

I am looking to buy a camera with the buy it now. The sellers in canada and when I check out it gives me the proper amount I should get back. However, I get the following message:
This item is eligible for cashback, but this seller doesn't use eBay checkout. Since you won't be completing your purchase on eBay, it's very important that you remember to pay with PayPal.

If you use another payment method, you won't be eligible for cashback. See conditions.

As long as I pay through paypal, I will still get my cash back, correct?

I am looking to buy a camera with the buy it now. The sellers in canada and when I check out it gives me the proper amount I should get back. However, I get the following message:
This item is eligible for cashback, but this seller doesn't use eBay checkout. Since you won't be completing your purchase on eBay, it's very important that you remember to pay with PayPal.

If you use another payment method, you won't be eligible for cashback. See conditions.

Should be fine. I have done this twice and the cashback registers in my account. This is not the same as when it states that this seller uses a checkout method that does not comply with cashback's conditions.

Should be fine. I have done this twice and the cashback registers in my account. This is not the same as when it states that this seller uses a checkout method that does not comply with cashback's conditions.
Ok I just wanted to make sure. Being out of $120 that I expect to get back is going to be pretty bad. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly, I have never done this cashback thing before.

Ok I just wanted to make sure. Being out of $120 that I expect to get back is going to be pretty bad. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly, I have never done this cashback thing before.

If you want, you can wait for more people to chime in. :)

It amazes me that people complain about this, Microsoft is giving you money basically for free...

Welcome to the internets, if people can find something to complain about, they will! :D

I am looking to buy a camera with the buy it now. The sellers in canada and when I check out it gives me the proper amount I should get back. However, I get the following message

Just make sure the seller has a decent rating, it would be hard to get your money back dealing with someone in a different country if bad sh*t happens.

They had 69361 feedback with 99% positive. I think I am safe lol. Well I bought it. They went to a quanity of 3 to 1 in a few minutes so I had to jump on it. Got a Canon Rebal XS for $280! One that that worries me though, I haven't setup a cashback thing before and per the ebay instructions, I should get an message in my messages to set it up. However, I haven't gotten said message. Does it take a while? Non-instant scares me...I hope I didn't screw something up.

You may have mucked it up, I think you're supposed to setup a LIVE account first, then do the eBay purchase... though I'm not 100% sure. Either way, you should setup your LIVE account ASAP if you haven't already. If you don't see the cashback pending within the next 24-48 hours, email MS with the details; from what I understand they have been very good in taking care of peoples' issues.

Good luck!

Oh and per the previous poster .. post the item number :)

You may have mucked it up, I think you're supposed to setup a LIVE account first, then do the eBay purchase... though I'm not 100% sure. Either way, you should setup your LIVE account ASAP if you haven't already. If you don't see the cashback pending within the next 24-48 hours, email MS with the details; from what I understand they have been very good in taking care of peoples' issues.

Good luck!

Oh and per the previous poster .. post the item number :)
I did have a live account setup. But one ebay's page here it says:

After your first eligible purchase is completed, you must go to My Messages on eBay.com and look for a message from eBay with "cashback" in the subject line. Click the "Get Cashback" link or button in the message to set up a Cashback Program account with Microsoft by providing all information required by Microsoft (or, if you already have a Cashback Program account, log into your account in order to associate your eBay purchases with that account).

I didn't receive that message they are talking about.

Also, here is my item

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did have a live account setup. But one ebay's page here it says:

After your first eligible purchase is completed, you must go to My Messages on eBay.com and look for a message from eBay with "cashback" in the subject line. Click the "Get Cashback" link or button in the message to set up a Cashback Program account with Microsoft by providing all information required by Microsoft (or, if you already have a Cashback Program account, log into your account in order to associate your eBay purchases with that account).

I didn't receive that message they are talking about.

Also, here is my item

That message was from the old system (~2 weeks old). The new system just shoots you a message stating you qualified for Cashback and that it will be available in 60 days. The Cashback should just about go instantly into your Cashback account.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, how does it even know what my cashback account is? I mean, I followed the link through live, but how does it though what my cashback account is? I didn't tie my ebay and live account together at any point, so I would assume there is some step?

Well, how does it even know what my cashback account is? I mean, I followed the link through live, but how does it though what my cashback account is? I didn't tie my ebay and live account together at any point, so I would assume there is some step?

Have you checked your Cashback account to see if the money is pending?

There isn't. I have looked :(

Well, the old message system took about 15-30 minutes for the message to arrive. Then after clicking the link inside the message, it took another day for it to register in my Cashback account. The new system is instant from what I've seen.

Yeah It has been around a hour and I haven't gotten anything in either my messages or any money amount in my cash back account.

They get your cashback account info when you click on the live.com link. That link lasts only 60mins or so. If you were browsing around for an hour then it might have expired. Did you see a cashback image below your final amount with the amount you will receive? If you didn't then you might not have done it correctly.

Yes I did have that image and it told me $120 with cash back. By the way, I still haven't gotten any message from live or ebay that shows that the cashback thing is happening.

Man, I bought some glass the other day, and within 30 minutes of completing the transaction, I had $200 cashback in my paypal account. No waiting 60 days like in the past.

Well I just got my hp product but still no word on the whole cashback deal. Not a good sign. All I get when questioning the cashback deal with hp is an automated response it seems. Not looking good, lol. Time to raise hell :cool:

Well, it took a while it finally showed up on ebay in my live account.

I just got instant cashback on some headphones I bought. But, there's still one in there even though the seller on ebay refunded me my money.. I don't know if they know or not, but I'm about to get $15 for free :eek:

Ya, that happened to me twice already. I got 50$ when ebay axed an auction. Another 21$ for an auction that dragged out so long and ended in a return, but MS's system posted it as another separate CB and canceled that one, retaining the original. I think im about to get another ~20$ for an auction where the seller ran off with the money. I already filed a paypal dispute and it was ruled in my favor, refunding me my money.

Microsoft's incompetence just infuriates me so much! I wonder what twisted nefarious angle they are working here... :rolleyes:

I got my $188 cashback from microsoft today for my w2408H monitor, which cost 469.99 before the cashback rebate. This was for the 40% off promotion. Very pleased with the outcome here, and I feel bad about
doubting such a great company like Microsoft and HP. I will never doubt them again.

I have had one great experience with them and one terrible(basicly got jacked). i will explain more later at work atm.

It amazes me that people complain about this, Microsoft is giving you money basically for free, sometimes there are some headaches involved but something is better than nothing. I too am having problems with one of my HP 40% off purchases, however I have already received over $1k in cash back so enjoy it while it lasts

i think the complaints are valid, for the following reasons ...

* exceedingly complicated and confusing process.

* complex rules, and different sets of rules for MS and for ebay.

* you'll eventually get screwed and not get your cashback for a purchase. so far, i've got 2 of 4, and it is because of problems on the ebay or MS end. i followed all of the rules.

* because of this cashback deal, many But-It-Now ebay sellers have raised their prices, because they know people are going to get cashback. so, you wind up paying even more for an item if you don't play MS's cashback game. MS has effectively raised prices on ebay, and those of us who dohn't want to sit around for 60 days waiting for a partial refund that might never come get screwed.

* because of this cashback deal, many But-It-Now ebay sellers have raised their prices

For eBay fees* are based on selling price so at least part of the "cost" of this program could be offset. Additionally if this drives up sales then the additional volume also could offsets the program's cost.

So maybe we should consider this more of a referral/revenue sharing program - ala FatWallet.

Just my opinion - Let the flames begin ;)

*Note - Not sure for large sellers how much

Exceedingly complicated and confusing? This is the easiest, most hassle free rebate process Ive ever done.

Complex rules? Hardly. Most people are just too lazy to read the terms n agreements and just spam the forum with the same questions over and over.

Eventually get screwed? Im like 13/10.

i thought it was quite an easy process...RTFM sums it up perfectly if you somehow messed up. i wouldve had to go out of my way to screw it up.

i think the complaints are valid, for the following reasons ...

* exceedingly complicated and confusing process.

* complex rules, and different sets of rules for MS and for ebay.

* you'll eventually get screwed and not get your cashback for a purchase. so far, i've got 2 of 4, and it is because of problems on the ebay or MS end. i followed all of the rules.

* because of this cashback deal, many But-It-Now ebay sellers have raised their prices, because they know people are going to get cashback. so, you wind up paying even more for an item if you don't play MS's cashback game. MS has effectively raised prices on ebay, and those of us who dohn't want to sit around for 60 days waiting for a partial refund that might never come get screwed.
no one is forcing you to use this system. If you dont like it dont use it. For the rest of us who have had no problems. 9x used on ebay and about 10 used on other sites and so far I've gotten all my money or its on the way. Granted i can't predict the future and say that I'll get everything I'm supposed to but lifes full of risks. Otherwise we'd never OC our PC or push the limits of computing. JMHO

Exceedingly complicated and confusing? This is the easiest, most hassle free rebate process Ive ever done.

Complex rules? Hardly. Most people are just too lazy to read the terms n agreements and just spam the forum with the same questions over and over.

Eventually get screwed? Im like 13/10.

relatively speaking, duh, which i thought was obvious. compared to how 99% of other rebates work, this one is more complicated. i've always found it much easier to just buy the item, fill out the form, send it with the UPC, and wait 8-10 weeks for the check. with MS Live, you have to log in to one site, search from that site, click through to another site, buy within a 60 min time period, make sure that the seller uses paypal for checkout, wait for a confirmation email, and hope the ball doesn't get dropped between ebay and Live.

i followed the Live and ebay rules to the T, and 6 months later i have not been paid. the excuse from Live is that "ebay doesn't have any record of the transaction", and ebay simply refuses to do anything at all. i've got paypal records, seller receipt, emails w/ transaction #s from paypal, from the seller, from ebay from Live, etc, and they still can't get it sorted out.

no one is forcing you to use this system. If you dont like it dont use it.

no, but i used it BECAUSE ms offered it. i followed the rules, and now they aren't honoring it. maybe you'd feel differently if YOU got screwed.

and if i don't use it, i wind up paying more than ever for the item because MS has effectively inflated prices on the ebay market. so, no, i'm not forced to use it, but if i don't i get screwed ... and if i do, i apparently occasionally get screwed too.

guys, look at it this way - if some people are having problems with a vendor, would you rather have the info posted here so you'll get a heads up and be aware of the potential risks, OR do you want everybody to just pretend that it doesn't happen and try to silence the victims?

From eBay and M@ support - certain vendors are allowed to use their own check-out systems but as long as you use PayPal you will not have any problems. I have bought a number of things from Buy.com and I always get this warning but I also always get the moeny in my account.

Back