Post your monthly bandwidth usage

w1retap

[H]F Junkie
I thought it would be interesting to see what other people around here use in terms of bandwidth per month. DD-WRT has some pretty accurate bandwidth reporting breakdowns by month/day. My ISP confirms accuracy within ~500MB or so.

Here's my home connection for the month of November 2008. (minus the first few days)

nov_2008.png

(15mbit download / 2mbit upload connection)

I've been using remote synchronization services pretty heavily now with my file server. I signed up for Carbonite for $50/yr unlimited service and I'm in the process of backing up my 3TB array. :p (lots of my hd dvd and blu-ray isos I ripped, all my ripped cd's, my recorded tv shows, thousands of high res family photos, etc.) It's a pretty good service by the way.. only a few minor complaints.

**MOD, move if necessary**
I don't know if this should go in the network gallery or the root networking forum directory.

I think I am at about 100GB Download so far this month, will probably get to 250.

Home connection.
3087065576_f2848f3851.jpg

Edit- how do I get this from Untangle? Then I could post the work connection ;)

Code:
Month 		 In			    Out

Dec 		 2550.41 MB  		490.32 MB
Nov		 24062.10 MB  		1023.67 MB
Oct 	         13940.69 MB  		2798.07 MB
Sep		 29573.52 MB  		965.56 MB

300GB downloads/month on my main rig. I'd estimate another 150-200GB or so for the other 2 machines that download stuff, as well as the Netfilx streaming on my 360.

My D-Link DIR-615 router just shows total packets sent and received.

Don't worry, go ahead and get comcast! Any reasonable person will never go over 250gb of transfer! =p

I've been using remote synchronization services pretty heavily now with my file server. I signed up for Carbonite for $50/yr unlimited service and I'm in the process of backing up my 3TB array. :p (lots of my hd dvd and blu-ray isos I ripped, all my ripped cd's, my recorded tv shows, thousands of high res family photos, etc.) It's a pretty good service by the way.. only a few minor complaints.

how many days would it take to download that 3TB if you have to do a full restore?
and how fast is there service?

I can download about 8-10GB/hour with my 15meg connection (I actually think it's 30meg since I download stuff at 3MB/sec with a 2.6MB/sec average)

I haven't tried restoring anything yet. I'm just in the process of backing everything up. It's going to take quite a bit of time. I'm assuming the restore will go to whatever your connection carries you speed-wise. Anyhow, even if it did take quite a while to restore, it's well worth it rather than losing all that data. Extremely important stuff gets burned to DVDR-DL disks and stored in my fireproof safe just as an extra precaution.

wouldn't it be better to buy 3 1.5TB drives, copy the shit to them and then put that in a safe deposit box in the bank, then update them once or twice a month.

I got my friend to do this for his important stuff, he has 3 copies, one local on the PC, a copy in his safe, and then a copy at the bank.
Every 2 weeks he will swap the ones in his safe and bank so that all of the stuff is pretty much up to date.

wouldn't it be better to buy 3 1.5TB drives, copy the shit to them and then put that in a safe deposit box in the bank, then update them once or twice a month.

I got my friend to do this for his important stuff, he has 3 copies, one local on the PC, a copy in his safe, and then a copy at the bank.
Every 2 weeks he will swap the ones in his safe and bank so that all of the stuff is pretty much up to date.
It's cheaper and less of a hassle for me to pay $50/yr for continuous online backup. We're getting pretty far off topic now.

I managed to download 32Gb of Movies and 22Gb of music in 2 weeks and BT didnt pipe up with any questions and i've had no bandwidth cut, s'all good with me.

WotLK kinda kills my downloading of random crap, it would seem :) (Mostly 10 TV shows and 2 anime eps a week) + parents/sisters browsing/email

rrd1month.png

This is a crappy UK DSL (8/1) - Total seems reallly low, I think the period total is only counting december or something..

For the first 7 days of January. Just installed DD-WRT on this router and my other router had an older version of DD-WRT without the bandwidth monitoring so I don't have a full month.

jan17md6.png

I haven't been watching much from Netflix streaming otherwise it would be a lot higher.

jan_2009.png

441.44GB this month. yay. Actually more.. but for some reason my router didn't log the last two days. Did a reset and now it's going again. =/

not really a month but from the switch;

Uptime : 42 days, 19:42:52 System Load : 0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00 LAN (rx/tx) : 2.53 G(0.39 K/s) 28.68 G(8.96 K/s) WLAN (rx/tx) : 580.07 M(0.19 K/s) 7.54 G(0.32 K/s) WAN (rx/tx) : 30.19 G(9.33 K/s) 2.83 G(0.44 K/s)

If you've got a computer set aside for monitoring purposes, Cacti-EZ is a nice way to get all sorts of fun information graphed and measured for you. It's mostly useful if you have loads of computers and switches, though, and not so much for one person.

If you've got a computer set aside for monitoring purposes, Cacti-EZ is a nice way to get all sorts of fun information graphed and measured for you. It's mostly useful if you have loads of computers and switches, though, and not so much for one person.

I've one router and 4 computers. 2 in my room, 1 in my parents and 1 in my sister. What would be the best way to measure total bandwidth?

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a 95 gb cap and my friends all have 60gb caps each month. This month I've hit my cap as I usually do each month. I also max out the 60gb cap on 2 of my friends. (roughly 30-40gb each).

Back