Post Your Home File Server Specs

ktwebb said:
Yes it is. I enjoy my LEGAL copy very much. Though I am not sure what "Linux" version is. It's all linux under the hood with ESX 2.5. Stripped down Red Hat 7 I believe with the VMKernel added.

But am glad your getting your LEGAL copy at Christmas. Enjoy.

I'll be upgrading to my LEGAL copy of VI3 as soon as I get around to it. Well actually I will be installing VI3 from scratch. The upgrade can be pretty messy. It's doable but is easier to just install from bones.

Im just proud of myself....I havent purchased software in over 8 years

Specs:
Mobo: That Soyo one on Newegg that was free after rebates...yeah the one where they never sent out the rebate checks
CPU: P4 1.8GHz that I salvaged from the trash bin
Memory: 2x512mb sticks of PC2100 I salvaged from the trash bin
Hard disk: 40GB IBM that I salvaged from the trash bin
Case: $40 mATX case I bought on Newegg
Nic1: Integrated into the mobo
Nic2: Linksys PCI crap I salaved from the trash bin
Nic3: 3Com PCI one I "borrowed" from work

Does routing, DNS caching, Squid transparent proxying, and other stuff for the network. <3. Planning a USB storage solution for it now. ~2TB

n39700071_30628556_5730.jpg

POS P4 computer with the vertical blue light is the router
The black tower next to it is the 1500VA Belkin UPS
On the floor below the cakebox spindles is a 3Com Superstack 3 3300XM
The blue Linksys boxes are a 802.11A, 802.11G, and 802.11B access points.

I've got a screamer...

p2-400
192 MB ram
300 GB 10K scsi (music)
18 GB 7.2K scsi (pictures)
20 GB 7.2K ata (OS)
win2k3 standard
one low rpm 92mm fan in front for cooling.

AtomicFire said:
Specs:
Mobo: That Soyo one on Newegg that was free after rebates...yeah the one where they never sent out the rebate checks
CPU: P4 1.8GHz that I salvaged from the trash bin
Memory: 2x512mb sticks of PC2100 I salvaged from the trash bin
Hard disk: 40GB IBM that I salvaged from the trash bin
Case: $40 mATX case I bought on Newegg
Nic1: Integrated into the mobo
Nic2: Linksys PCI crap I salaved from the trash bin
Nic3: 3Com PCI one I "borrowed" from work

Does routing, DNS caching, Squid transparent proxying, and other stuff for the network. <3. Planning a USB storage solution for it now. ~2TB

POS P4 computer with the vertical blue light is the router
The black tower next to it is the 1500VA Belkin UPS
On the floor below the cakebox spindles is a 3Com Superstack 3 3300XM
The blue Linksys boxes are a 802.11A, 802.11G, and 802.11B access points.

Why 3 different AP ?? I was under the impression the latest specs encompass the former ones so you can keep the G and ditch the rest.

Xilikon said:
Why 3 different AP ?? I was under the impression the latest specs encompass the former ones so you can keep the G and ditch the rest.

Most G AP's can't do A, though.

2.4GHz Xeon, 1.5GB, 2x80GB U320, 2x200GB ATA100 ----- Win2k3 Std R2
IIS 6, TS, Vent, BF2 Server​

P3 666MHz, 256MB, 18 & 30GB ATA100 ----- SUSE 10.1
Apache, PHP, MySQL, Samba​

Main Server:

Supermicro P4 server board
3.0Ghz P4
1GB Ram
HighPoint RocketRaid 2220
(6) 250G Seagates Raid 5
40G boot drive
Seasonic 500watt PS
3KVA APC with External batteries

Fedora Core 5 running samba, httpd and NFS.

Celery D 2.66ghz @ 3.2ghz
Asus P5VDC-MX
2gig DDR 400
Matrox G450
2x 250gig Samsung spinpoints (raid 1, no way im losing that much music)
4x 120gig WD Caviar's
400w Abit branded PSU
Chenbro Gaming Bomb
WinXP 64bit ed.

need to update my sig a little.

mines modest:

Cray with a 40gb hdd

:D

I'm going to build one this winter. It's either going to be made of the 2400+ you see in my sig or out of a BP6 i have lying around. It'll function as a router as well as a file server.

initially, it'll have two 200gb HDD's in either JBOD or RAID1. Gig o'ram and all that good stuff. I'm leaning towards the 2400+ though...just so I can have a reason to let it fold :)

second and third rigs in my sig, the 2600 sometimes isnt on but the 2800 is on 24/7 serving teh public's needs :) well ok, not the public but serving my and a good few buddies needs ;)

trckn4life said:
I decided tho that I don't want to set it up as a domain. But, file, print, dhcp, etc. would be fine.
it sure will make your file and print life easier :D
DHCP is good with a domain as well... and of course DNS
might as well :D

when you guys say your server is also a router, do you mean by using the DCHP function? :confused:

CoolerMaster CM Stacker in Silver
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Intel 915GEVLK 915GE Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 336 2.8GHz
Corsair VS512MBKIT533D2 512MB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200
NEC 3550a DVD Burner
Hitachi 160GB 8MB SATA (OS + Misc Data)
8 Western Digital WD2000JB 8MB 7200RPM IDE
HighPoint RocketRaid 464 RAID Card

(Video, Sound & Giabit NIC Onboard)

Runs Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 R2 w/ AutoPatcher November 2006

fibroptikl said:
CoolerMaster CM Stacker in Silver
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Intel 915GEVLK 915GE Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 336 2.8GHz
Corsair VS512MBKIT533D2 512MB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200
NEC 3550a DVD Burner
Hitachi 160GB 8MB SATA (OS + Misc Data)
8 Western Digital WD2000JB 8MB 7200RPM IDE
HighPoint RocketRaid 464 RAID Card

(Video, Sound & Giabit NIC Onboard)

Runs Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 R2 w/ AutoPatcher November 2006
nice specs...is it fast?

Haven't reset it up for my home network yet(been too busy).

Intel psn945 board with onboar gigabit
Intel pentium d 2.66 with an asus heatsink(it has a plate that goes under the board to mount it better)
2 gigs of ddr667
samsung 18x dvdrw
ait radeon x300 128 meg pos card.
3x250gig sata3 drives in raid 5 on a raid card with 256 ram.
Antec mid tower case with a 500 watt true power ps in it.

Was going to run windows 2k3 std on it with exchange but I'm thinking of running Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2 now. Have legit copies of both. Just support sbs more for work so I'll prob end up loading it.

P3 1ghz
256 ram
dell desktop(don't recall model)
250 gb drive(serves mostly as backup for documents and pictures)
running kubuntu

P4 1.7
1 gb ram
Dell 8100
80 and 250 gb drives
Music server
running xp for now

ndruw said:
Are you running that on one of those modded Netgear routers or something?

its (all at the same time :D ) running on a "modded" Linksys (NSLU2) file-server unit (very small)

it is designed as a network storage device, hook to network and hook up some USB storage (flash or HD) and it appears as a SAMBA-share (with web interface for admin)

re-flash with some of the more flexable community firmware gives you full access to put what you want on

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage
I personally prefer the OpenSlug firmware

AMD RULES said:
when you guys say your server is also a router, do you mean by using the DCHP function? :confused:
You can actually use it as a router, my linux box can easily perform this way, so can many monowall, ipcop etc systems

I actually have a 4 port router network card i could put in a router enabled linux box.. I've though about doing this, but making a linux box wireless is MUCH harder.

AMD RULES said:

2x networks cards...and ...say with Windows server...use RRAS. Server does the NAT. Or beef it up even more..and use something like ISA.

FS

CPU: AMD 3000+
Motherboard: cheap gigabyte one
RAM: 2x1024MB DDR
Raid Controller: onboard shitty sil and nvidia though no raid
HDDs: 8 x HDDS of various sizes
Cooler: stock
PSU: Antec TP2.0 550W
Case: Coolermaster Stacker STC-01
OS: Centos and VMWare server + 4 VMs (1 bsd box acting as router and firewall and proxy, second box acting as wifi isolation and VPN server, 1 win2k3 vm running exchange and winsus(winsus is accessible over the wifi for when i am slack or have friends round), 1 centos vm running the actual filesharing and iscsi targets and so on)

(planned)
The above
with a decent raid controller and another stacker bolted next to it :) running solaris and just being a straight fileserver
intel dual Gbit nic pciex (at least one(already has 2 onboard gbit controllers(i intend to team 3 of the nics to handle normal filesharing and the forth port to act as the iscsi port)

VM Box
t2500 Core duo(yonoah)
Micro atx mainboard
2 - 4 gig of ram
2 x 80 gig drives in raid 1 or 0
iscsi target to the fileserver to boot off (the drives are there for scratch space and because i dont want them sitting in the cupboard
Intel dual gbit nic pci ex to do the iscsi shinyness
probably run a few more vms on this so i can do some more interesting stuff have a few dev vms on it.

also routers dont always need 2 ports :) vlans are nice

My file server is also my UT, Freelancer, UT2004, FTP, and webcam server.

Intel 865GBF Mobo
Intel 2.8C w/ HT
Gigabyte of DDR400 SDRAM
1 40GB ATA Unsorted Downloads
1 80GB ATA FTP
1 80GB SATA System Drive
1 120GB SATA Videos / Movies

Used to have dual 160GB Deskstars in Raid 1 but they both died :-/

YeOldeStonecat said:
2x networks cards...and ...say with Windows server...use RRAS. Server does the NAT. Or beef it up even more..and use something like ISA.
ok..thanks...is there a way to make you server an acess point?

AMD RULES said:
thank you....is the onboard raid on motherboards ok?

It is generally a non-issue for Raid1. Raid0 and you run into transportability issues. I wouldn't bother with the other levels(besides 10 and 0+1) with your integrated raid controller.

Dew said:
It is generally a non-issue for Raid1. Raid0 and you run into transportability issues. I wouldn't bother with the other levels(besides 10 and 0+1) with your integrated raid controller.
how about Raid5?

Specs:

- Thermaltake Shark case (black)
- Intel i865 mobo
- P4 3.0 GHz (800 Mhz bus)
- 2 GB DDR 400 (HT on)
- 36 GB Raptor (for OS, Windows 2000 Server)
- 4 x 300 GB Seagate HDD (Attached to Promise SX4000 RAID controller with 256 MB RAM, in RAID-5 array)
- PNY FX5200 Ultra
- Creative Extigy
- Various other hard drives
( 7 HDD's in total between RAID-5 array and then some)

Video card is attached to a projector beaming almost a 200-inch (diagonal) image at 1080i. Sound card is attached via digital coax to a receiver controlling 7.2 surround sound.

Currently using TightVNC to turn my laptop into my "remote control" for this system over the wireless network :)

AMD RULES said:
how about Raid5?
If your onboard RAID controller supports RAID5 and you have at least three drives, RAID5 is the way to go... if you're looking for a good blend between security and performance that is. The only possible problem I see with onboard RAID5 is that if that specific controller dies you may not be able to revive the array even if you replace the board with the same motherboard. I don't think Nvidia's RAID5 offering is robust enough to allow for that... but could be wrong. :)

AMD RULES said:
nice specs...is it fast?
Fast enough for me. I would like to switch the CPU with a P4/Pentium D though. But that all depends on what I do for computer upgrades - so who knows.

Works for serving music just fine.

Orinthical said:
If your onboard RAID controller supports RAID5 and you have at least three drives, RAID5 is the way to go... if you're looking for a good blend between security and performance that is. The only possible problem I see with onboard RAID5 is that if that specific controller dies you may not be able to revive the array even if you replace the board with the same motherboard. I don't think Nvidia's RAID5 offering is robust enough to allow for that... but could be wrong. :)

A good way to make it transportable and use RAID5 is to buy a dedicated RAID controller.

My wife runs her business from the house and I have a PVR so we have 2 servers...

Antek 180 case
Pentium 4 CPU
1 GB memory
250 GB WD hard drive for a program/OS partition and a data partition
250 GB WD hard drive for mirror of data and backups
WindowsXP
(100 watts peak)

---

Athlon64 3700+
2 GB memory
125 GB WD hard drive for a program/OS partition & a mp3 partition
1.5 TB over 4 WD hard drives for video
WindowsXP
(100 watts typical; 190 watts peak)

---

both machines are way too fast for their use

AMD RULES said:
ok..thanks...is there a way to make you server an acess point?

kind of

i dont know of any software that will let you do it under windows but under nix if you have a supported card you can run the hostap drivers

though its not really worth it. get a wrt54gs and slap openwrt\ddwrt\hyperwrt on it and run just the ap side off one of your nics

ok...thanks for the info
Would an AThlon 64 3200+ with a gig of DDR2 ram be quick enough for a file server?

AMD RULES said:
ok...thanks for the info
Would an AThlon 64 3200+ with a gig of DDR2 ram be quick enough for a file server?

Plenty fast, even with a software-driven RAID5 controller.

Back