Post Your Home File Server Specs

My old file server was a P4 3.0 ghz, 1gig of ram, 768gigs of storage, Win XP Pro SP2, ATI 9600XT video card.
I ended up selling the machine (minus the drives) to a friend that wanted a cheap gaming machine and I moved all the drives into my main rig, which is now a pseudo gaming machine/file server.
P4 2.8 @ 3.65ghz 2gigs of ram, 1.73TB of storage (over 8 drives), Win XP Pro SP2, 7800GS CO Superclocked.
4 of the drives are for movies and TV shows, 1 is for my OS and data, 1 is for Data and drivers/patches, 1 is for web and photography stuff, and the last one is for my video stuff.

for the person who asked how to determine raid5 space, think of it like this:

x * (n - 1)

x = small size of all drives in set
n = total number of drives

thus, 4 120 GB drives = 360GB of space, not 480GB.

120 * (4 - 1) = 360

etc, etc. 1/n of the quanity of disks becomes parity area. and the larger the drives you use in the array, the costlier the parity loss too. we just upgraded our creatives department at the office from a server with 12x36 GB and 14x72GB drives (360 and 830GB partitions) to an Xserve with 7 750GB drives. in the meeting where we were finalizing the design for the filesystem layout, these non-technical creatives were the non-stop mumblers over 750GB lost "to nothing". going from barley 1TB to about 2.8TB in one step.. we couldnt believe that they were trying to play the techno-arguing game when they had no clue how these things even worked. took a while, but eventually we were able to divert their attention from "losting 750GB" to gaining 1.8TB.

My file server is a MCE 2005 box in the basement that was my old gaming pc upstairs
asus k8vse
3200+ amd 64
2x512 wintec pc3200
9700 pro
WinTV-PVR-150
160gb seagate OS/recorded shows
300gb seagate kids movies/dvd backups
300gb maxtor music/shows
Sonata case

mine:

Dell Poweredge 2400
Windows 2k3 Server Enterprise (Legit)
Dual P3 450's
1GB RAM
1x 9.1GB 10,000RPM SCSI drive
2x 18GB 10,000RPM SCSI drives
2x 36GB 10,000RPM SCSI drives
2x NIC's teamed

CPU: E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
MOBO: P5B-E
RAM: 2GB Gskill PC 6400 800mhz
VIDEO CARD: BFG 6600GT
PSU: Antec Smart Power 500
HD: 4x 60GB Maxtors in raid 0 *going to add more some day...*
HD2: External Westen Digital 500GB

1000437xb2.jpg

LOCO LAPTOP said:
CPU: E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
MOBO: P5B-E
RAM: 2GB Gskill PC 6400 800mhz
VIDEO CARD: BFG 6600GT
PSU: Antec Smart Power 500
HD: 4x 60GB Maxtors in raid 0 *going to add more some day...*
HD2: External Westen Digital 500GB

All that power, so little capacity. I hope that encodes or something.

I really expected this thread, I'm almost shocked no one thought of making one before (including myself!)

Anyways:

Temporary File Server -
P4 @ 2.4GHz
768 MB RAM
2 x 80GB WD HD's

running on Debian 3.1RC3
No Samba on this baby, I use a method of mounting FTP which uses a slighty modded ftpd with the abandoned Novell project Netdrive , a fantastic piece of software btw (I get really good throughput using mounted FTP, easier config than Samba, uses unix accounts for login, etc). Plus, having it setup for FTP makes it easy to share at LAN parties I attend regularly.

I plan on building (and nearly have all the money for) a 1-1.5 TB-er thats gonna run debian 4.0 (which should be released soon.

ndruw said:
No Samba on this baby, I use a method of mounting FTP which uses a slighty modded ftpd with the abandoned Novell project Netdrive , a fantastic piece of software btw (I get really good throughput using mounted FTP, easier config than Samba, uses unix accounts for login, etc). Plus, having it setup for FTP makes it easy to share at LAN parties I attend regularly.

Heh, I found that Samba is MUCH easier to configure than FTP. I have samba set to completely unauthenticated mode, set permissions on the folders so that no one has write access, and created a share on a separate drive for uploads. I have a script to move files based on where they are in the upload folder and set permissions/ownership on the main share.

Dew said:
Heh, I found that Samba is MUCH easier to configure than FTP. I have samba set to completely unauthenticated mode, set permissions on the folders so that no one has write access, and created a share on a separate drive for uploads. I have a script to move files based on where they are in the upload folder and set permissions/ownership on the main share.

You might wanna send me a message on how you set up then...I'm always willing to give samba a try again

CPU: XScale-IXP42x (ARM 266MHz)
RAM: 32Meg
HD: 160Gig USB-connection

USE:
HTTP server
FTP server
SMB server
SSH server
Torrent server

eeyrjmr said:
CPU: XScale-IXP42x (ARM 266MHz)
RAM: 32Meg
HD: 160Gig USB-connection

USE:
HTTP server
FTP server
SMB server
SSH server
Torrent server

Are you running that on one of those modded Netgear routers or something?

this is getting retired fairly soon but right now mine is

AXP 1700+
MSI VIA Socket A mobo
1gb DDR
lots of promise ATA controllers
12x 200gb seagate barracuda 7200.7 RAID5 2.2Tb
Windows Server 2003 standard
Intel PRO/1000MT

IMG_0197.jpg

its the one with the pink paw

DELL 1600sc
Dual 2.8Ghz HT Xeon's
4GB of ECC ram
Highpoint 2220 Raid 5 (8port card)
10k 36GB SCSI drive (OS drive)
Four 400GB Seagate Sata in raid 5 1.2TB useable
OS is Centos (Basicaly a fork of Red Hat Enterprise Linux)
It also runs vmware with about 4 guest OS's

This next one is just sitting idle, it was going to be a game server, but I never had a chance to colocate it.
Dell 1425 (1U)
Dual 3Ghz HT (2mb Cache) Xeon's
80Gb Sata
3Gb of ram

I see a lot of people running some version of Windows server. I was running 2003 server, but I am going to be putting it in a VMware session, so I still will have a full windows AD and Exchange system, and it will be portable through any hardware upgrades I may do. Is anyone else doing this? (Running Linux as your primary and then Windows server as a VMware session and actualty using it for services (i.e. Exchange.))

File Server
not much power, it is only a file server after all
PIII 700
512 ram
4x seagate 250gb sata HD's data, upgrading soon
1x 10gb OS
running headless, XP Pro

Web server
HP Netserver
2x PIII 800's
1gb ECC
2x 9gb SCSI hd's
Fedora Core 5

FTP Server, rips DVD's to file server
AXP 2500
1gb ram
120gb IBM
XP Pro

northwood 3.4ghz
2x256MB ram
msi pt880lsr

2x 300GB sata drives
2x 200GB IDE drives
6GB OS (2k3)

2 gigabit nics xovered to primary and secondary computers and then the 100mbps onboard nic is going to the main network

it does ventrilo/web/ftp and of course file serving, also do a bit of transcoding with it

it is headless sitting behind my desk

Optiplex GX270
Pentium 4 2.8 Northwood B
1.25gb PC3200 RAM
40gb 7200rpm OS drive
80gb 7200rpm Uploads/VMWare Image drive
500gb 7200rpm Mass storage drive
250gb 7200rpm encoding drive
200gb 7200rpm external drive
gigabit NIC
DVD-ROM
Radeon X800XT (component out, as this system will eventually be an HTPC as well)

Small Business Server 2003 Premium
Running on a P4 3.0C @ 3.3GHz
1.5 gigs of RAM
Several Seagate drives, Adaptec 29160

Access to network through RWW

A beefy file/media server here (being rebuild due to a defective mobo) :

Indigo :
A64 3000+ @ 2.4 GHz
1 Gb DDR400 RAM
Total of 490 Gb across 3 drives (80 Gb for OS/Apps, 250 Gb for main data backup and 160 Gb for secondary backup since redundancy is good).
BFG 6800GT OD (Overkill but we can use the pc as a gaming station for the living room :D .

All running Windows XP Pro (Soon to buy XP MCE).
The components was mostly hands-me-down from my main PC.

mines a...
1800 althon XP
768megs ddr ram
msi board
old geforce card
raid 5 set up (250 X 5)
uses a LSI mega raid card
runs win2k3 server standard

this was mostly thrown togeather with spare parts. will be upgraded to a board that actually has a pci-x slot and more then 1 proccessor some day.

Dell E521
-X2 3800+
-4x 300gb Maxtor 6L300SO drives
-4x 1gb sticks of DDR2-533

its also my vmaware server for my home domain

Asus mATX Case
Abit SG-71
Celeron 2.4 GHz
1GB DDR 2700
2* Promise Ultra100 IDE Controllers
4* 250gb Maxtor IDE Drives (1 Channel Each on the Promise Cards)
Adaptec 19160
Maxtor Atlas 15k - 36gb (for Boot)
DVB-T PCI Tuner (Unused currently but I have plans)
NEC 2500a DVDRW

Running Windows 2003 Standard for AD, DCHP, File, Print, DNS, Remote Install, etc....

AMD RULES said:
man...am i jelous...nice setups...i wanna see more pics :D

how is the FTP feature?

my room is messy as hell but ill take pics sometime tonight

btw, FTP is badass

There is no real difference between an opteron and an Athlon64.

Home Fileserver / VMware Server

Athlon XP 2500+
A7N8X Deluxe
1gb pc2700
3x Seagate 250GB SATA
Dell CERC SATA RAID card
Windows Server 2003 Std.

AMD RULES said:
what is VMware? Is that like Micosoft Virtual PC??

IIRC what Virtual PC is (I've never used Virtual PC), its the same concept as VMWare, only VMWare is most likely much bettar (and has a linux client so good in my book)

titan-ng5_thb.jpg

Intel P4 "northwood" at 3200mhz.
2GB DDR 3200 ECC RAM
4 x 250gb SATA hard drives attached to a 3ware 9500 4-port RAID card in RAID-5.
1 x 120gb SATA Operating system (FreeBSD 6)
1 x 250gb SATA backup drive.
Intel SE7210TP1-E server mainboard

You guys have got some nice setups.

I bought a Dell Poweredge SC420 from a deal listed on here...I don't remember the price but I got a nice deal. That was gonna be my server. But, I've done little with it. I've debated either setting it up, selling it, or adding some drives and use for storage. I decided tho that I don't want to set it up as a domain. But, file, print, dhcp, etc. would be fine.

AMD RULES said:
wow. nice specs...so is single core ok for a file server?
Any of you running Windows Server Enterprise?
I have a question about raid 5.
Say i have 4x320gb sata2 hdds in raid 5, does that mean i have one single large hdd that is 1280gb?

Nice specs so far ;)

RAID 5 gives you N-1 drives worth of space.

So if you have 5 drives, you get to use the space of 4 of them
If you have 4 drives, you get to use the space of 3 of them.

IBM Eserver. Dual 1.8 Ghz Pentiums
4GB ECC RAM
Hardware Raid, 6 x 36GB 10K RPM IBM
Running ESX 2.5.4
is the main box

From there running many servers in VM. Mostly Lab 2k3 boxes. DC, App servers, File server, Web server etc.. One with Virtual Center (VMware) 1.4 for management of the VM's.

Then I run VMWorkstation on my main PC (AMD 2600, 2GB RAM) running various linux distros to play around with. Mainly VMWare appliance builds with VMWare tools already installed. Installing VMware tools on linux can be a pain in the ass. For a relative *Nix novice like myself anyway.

I replicate my files amongst 3 boxes, but here's the main one:

Main File server:
HP ML370
Dual 2.8 Xeons w/ HT
2 146 gig 10K SCSI in Raid 1
6 36 gig 10K SCSI in Raid 5
6 gigs of ram
Dual redundant PS
Win 2K3 R2 Enterprise edition

ktwebb said:
IBM Eserver. Dual 1.8 Ghz Pentiums
4GB ECC RAM
Hardware Raid, 6 x 36GB 10K RPM IBM
Running ESX 2.5.4
is the main box

From there running many servers in VM. Mostly Lab 2k3 boxes. DC, App servers, File server, Web server etc.. One with Virtual Center (VMware) 1.4 for management of the VM's.

Then I run VMWorkstation on my main PC (AMD 2600, 2GB RAM) running various linux distros to play around with. Mainly VMWare appliance builds with VMWare tools already installed. Installing VMware tools on linux can be a pain in the ass. For a relative *Nix novice like myself anyway.
Its a brilliant piece of software, (I'm getting a LEGAL Linux version for Christmas)

Yes it is. I enjoy my LEGAL copy very much. Though I am not sure what "Linux" version is. It's all linux under the hood with ESX 2.5. Stripped down Red Hat 7 I believe with the VMKernel added.

But am glad your getting your LEGAL copy at Christmas. Enjoy.

I'll be upgrading to my LEGAL copy of VI3 as soon as I get around to it. Well actually I will be installing VI3 from scratch. The upgrade can be pretty messy. It's doable but is easier to just install from bones.

ktwebb said:
Yes it is. I enjoy my LEGAL copy very much. Though I am not sure what "Linux" version is. It's all linux under the hood with ESX 2.5. Stripped down Red Hat 7 I believe with the VMKernel added.

But am glad your getting your LEGAL copy at Christmas. Enjoy.

I'll be upgrading to my LEGAL copy of VI3 as soon as I get around to it. Well actually I will be installing VI3 from scratch. The upgrade can be pretty messy. It's doable but is easier to just install from bones.

yes. upgrading wasn't very smooth. We had plenty of tickets open with vmware for serveral VMs that wouldn't take the HW upgrades.

Back