Post your highest memory usage with FireFox!!

ChingChang

Supreme [H]ardness
I just passed the 1GB milestone!

system/firefox uptime is currently 4 days 12 hours.
firefox_1000mb.gif

edit: I'm using firefox 1.5.0.1

yeah, i used to have FF on my old dell....

....little too hungry, so i popped Opera on that old POS

PS: Gaim FTW

the old Dell only had 512 RAM, and I'm pretty sure FF hit that more than a few times

PS: all ur numbers seem a little high....eh, right now avant browser for me has I think around 10+ pages opened, 4 flash pages, 47mb

pwned

I had it up to over 2gigs one time while looking at a forum thread with 90+ HiRes photos (non-pron) in it. My PC only had 1gig of RAM back then and was paging constantly. Scrolling was very bad, slow and jerky.

Ice Czar, that is a pretty neat utility, thanks for the link.

OP, do you like your G-15 Keyboard? I see you don't have much running on it.

Both those processes running at 49% are for the Folding@Home project. See the Distributed Computing forum for a description. Thanks for vollenteering your CPU for the cause! :D :cool:

ICE_9 said:
Both those processes running at 49% are for the Folding@Home project. See the Distributed Computing forum for a description. Thanks for vollenteering your CPU for the cause! :D :cool:
Greatest processes ever created :)

edit:
OP, do you like your G-15 Keyboard? I see you don't have much running on it.
yeah I really like it. I've been pretty lazy and haven't bothered to install any apps, but the ones it comes with are good. The clock is nice becasue my other clock is out if sight across the room, and I hide my taskbar so the clock thing tells me the time and if I get new mail. The media display is great too. And I love being able to pause/skip tracks when I'm playing a game. Like in CS if I die early I can just turn the music back on, or if the map changes I can listen while the new map loads :)

and the macros can be funny in some games.. In CS:S I have a macro that constantly presses F for the flashlight, and another one that keeps pressing the fire button so I can shoot the dual elites really fast
tongue.gif

mikeblas said:
FireFox caches to memory? Why doesn't it cache to disk?
It does, but only to a certain extent. IIRC it stores the last 5 pages in ram (per tab!!) The concept was to speed up access to the pages you currently have loaded. The downside, the horrendous memory usage if you don't shut the thing down or use many tabs. Anything further is stored to disk.

This is off the top of my head, so please do not quote me. 10 1/2 hours at work and I'm only up to 128MB in my firefox.

I think there's a way to disable that caching for the 5 pages back thing using about:config. I think I disabled it but I can't tell the difference :p

192mb

06:45:29 up 6 days, 4:10, 2 users, load average: 0.26, 0.19, 0.14

Bullitt said:
It does, but only to a certain extent. IIRC it stores the last 5 pages in ram (per tab!!) The concept was to speed up access to the pages you currently have loaded.
That doesn't make sense to me. The theory is that the user is likely to move around between the same five pages, so they should be cached?

ChingChang has 800 megs in use. So let's say he's looking at pages which are 100 kilobytes in size -- which is RFF. Five pages is 500 kilobytes per tab. That means he has
1638 tabs open, huh?

I remember it being somewhere around 3-3.5 GB before it went down in flames.

(x86_64 build)

mikeblas said:
That doesn't make sense to me. The theory is that the user is likely to move around between the same five pages, so they should be cached?

ChingChang has 800 megs in use. So let's say he's looking at pages which are 100 kilobytes in size -- which is RFF. Five pages is 500 kilobytes per tab. That means he has
1638 tabs open, huh?
1. The FireFox cache is not just the HTML - session information and layout information is cached. Not every tabbing/fwd/back action causes a hit to Gecko.
2. You forgot images ;)

M11 said:
1. The FireFox cache is not just the HTML - session information and layout information is cached. Not every tabbing/fwd/back action causes a hit to Gecko.
2. You forgot images ;)

Okay. So let's say he's really nuts going surfing; he's got 20 pages open. That's 800 megs across 20 pages means each page costs 40 megs. Each. That's a lot of pictures, and some really fat state information.

it has to be a memory leak or something. I have sessionsaver so when I shut down firefox all my windows/tabs that were open are restored to where they were before I shut it down. Right now I have 15 windows open with 65 tabs total between all of them. It is the same windows that I had open when FF hit 1gb, but I also opened a bunch of extra windows on top of what was open when I took that screen shot.

I hope this is fixed in FireFox 2.0...

Does anyone experience the Firefox process remaining open after you close the app?

Is there a utility that addresses this?

DigitalMP said:
Does anyone experience the Firefox process remaining open after you close the app?

Is there a utility that addresses this?
Yes I have had that problem from time to time. You can kill it from the task manager.

MorfiusX said:
Yes I have had that problem from time to time. You can kill it from the task manager.

Yeah...I meant automatically though, something that follows up on an application exit.

Back