Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, people at headfi give the Lunchbox high marks but don't know how it sounds compared to the LD MKIII. I was going to get LD MKIV but didn't want to have to order from China.

I'll be selling mine very soon and it's not even a week old if you ever feel interested. ;)

My DSLR has image stabilization but that doesn't help much with the 1 sec. exposure I needed for low light conditions in my apartment. I should have pulled out my tri-pod or mono-pod but was too lazy.

I'll be selling mine very soon and it's not even a week old if you ever feel interested. ;)

Thanks for the offer but don't need it now that I have the Lunchbox. Why are you selling anyway? Don't care for it?

Thanks for the offer but don't need it now that I have the Lunchbox. Why are you selling anyway? Don't care for it?

Not at all. I do like this thing...but then I went to this stereo store and heard my setup through an $800 amp.

First off, I apologize for the poor pics I was in a rush to take them.

My Firestone Audio Cute Beyond Headphone Amp (with Firestone Audio Supplier
sIi0Z5qSbbmnw0_wkKp9hg

Beyerdynamic DT880s (left) and Sennheiser HD590s (right) on a Woo Audio Headphone stand (black)
i0QqtAhS2ePV0G8MEk7siA

Sennheiser HD555 on a Woo Audio Headphone stand (silver)
cdwsiichx2R4VXQFoTPSTw

Denon AH-D2000
RfN9-_3Hv9nPMR3VUMwThQ

Logitech Z-5500 Digital (I rarely use these speakers now that I have some nice headphones)
8n-L3SQPNzzu8w53Upaztw

Not at all. I do like this thing...but then I went to this stereo store and heard my setup through an $800 amp.
A/V Receiver?

My Firestone Audio Cute Beyond Headphone Amp (with Firestone Audio Supplier
sIi0Z5qSbbmnw0_wkKp9hg

Beyerdynamic DT880s (left) and Sennheiser HD590s (right) on a Woo Audio Headphone stand (black)
i0QqtAhS2ePV0G8MEk7siA

Sennheiser HD555 on a Woo Audio Headphone stand (silver)
cdwsiichx2R4VXQFoTPSTw

Denon AH-D2000
RfN9-_3Hv9nPMR3VUMwThQ

Logitech Z-5500 Digital (I rarely use these speakers now that I have some nice headphones)
8n-L3SQPNzzu8w53Upaztw
I just got my Beyer DT48e 8 ohm cans today with a cardas recable, so I'm happy.

My Firestone Audio Cute Beyond Headphone Amp

How is that headphone amp? Friend of mine just ordered one so will know soon enough I guess.

How is that headphone amp? Friend of mine just ordered one so will know soon enough I guess.

It's amazing! It has cured my dt880s of their brightness, and all my other cans sound great with them. If you get it with the Firestone Audio Supplier (power supply) the soundstage gets wider.

You sold it already? How much did you get?

I would've gotten $175 (felt it was fair since I was running it practically nonstop except when I slept) but Paypal fees and then the fees for selling it on Audiogon quickly brought that down by $15. Forgot about those. But that's ok, very soon I'm having the Cayin Ha-1A come in.

mg2583fk1.jpg

Can't wait for it to take up some shelfspace.

I would've gotten $175 (felt it was fair since I was running it practically nonstop except when I slept) but Paypal fees and then the fees for selling it on Audiogon quickly brought that down by $15. Forgot about those. But that's ok, very soon I'm having the Cayin Ha-1A come in.

mg2583fk1.jpg

Can't wait for it to take up some shelfspace.
650's? The Cayin is a good amp, but the Bada 12 for 400 is better IMO.

The Cayin is a decent amp but if you're paying $800, there're better amps to be found.

I'm listening, because whenever I asked people for opinions they wouldn't reply.

I really paid $770. The only ones around that price range was the Mapletree and this Russian one and the Cayin has more people using it, good return policy, and I actually tried it out compared to a few at the place. I'll be getting the new version and extra tubes. From everybody at Head-Fi, I haven't heard anything that sounds like this amp is a mistake.

The Mapletree would be assembled by the guy so his return policy isn't really existing and the Russian one is shipped from Norway, if I remember, skyrocketing the cost to $1000.

picture39073831oa8.jpg

picture49082799aj6.jpg

I'm listening, because whenever I asked people for opinions they wouldn't reply.

I really paid $770. The only ones around that price range was the Mapletree and this Russian one and the Cayin has more people using it, good return policy, and I actually tried it out compared to a few at the place. I'll be getting the new version and extra tubes. From everybody at Head-Fi, I haven't heard anything that sounds like this amp is a mistake.

The Mapletree would be assembled by the guy so his return policy isn't really existing and the Russian one is shipped from Norway, if I remember, skyrocketing the cost to $1000.

picture39073831oa8.jpg

picture49082799aj6.jpg
I've always been very partial to Singlepower however if you are enjoying the Cayin, by all means stick with it. I haven't visited Head-Fi in a while so I'm not sure of the situation with Mikhail and Singlepower since it was touchy the last time I logged in but a used, well optioned, well tubed MPX3 would be well within your $800 budget. I was running one of his original Toaster MPX3s and it had great sound with the RCAs 6SN7s, unfortunately it was broken in shipping so it's been sitting for like 2 years. No one in HI to fix it and I'm not sure if I could bring it up with me to Portland without getting a full cavity search by security. :eek:

The situation with Mikhail got worse. I'll try out that suggestion.
Yeah I figured it might've. There are lots of tube repair places in the lower 48 so if you have one that's accessible in case anything ever goes wrong, I would go for the Singlepower...if it were my money. Everyone's tastes are different in reality so if you really like the Cayin and have not auditioned a Singlepower amp, you might be better off sticking with what you have.

This just in... AKG K240 Sextett's (Fitz recable) Late Production

MySextettsandAmp2.jpg

MySextettsandAmp.jpg

HeadphoneSetupShot.jpg

AKGK240Sextetts.jpg

AKGK240Sextetts006.jpg

Just been listening to them for about an hour. Man are they fun. The soundstage isn't as large as my HD580's, but the detail is much better in my opinion. Not to mention the bass is a lot better in these compared to any other phone I have owned.

mg2588uw7.jpg

The amp is here and man is it sounding good. Now the only thing left to do for this year is to recable the headphones and go tuberollin.

This just in... AKG K240 Sextett's (Fitz recable) Late Production

[IM]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/runninkyle17/MySextettsandAmp2.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/runninkyle17/MySextettsandAmp.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/runninkyle17/HeadphoneSetupShot.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/runninkyle17/AKGK240Sextetts.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/runninkyle17/AKGK240Sextetts006.jpg[/IMG]

Just been listening to them for about an hour. Man are they fun. The soundstage isn't as large as my HD580's, but the detail is much better in my opinion. Not to mention the bass is a lot better in these compared to any other phone I have owned.

Really?
When I had the sextetts I thought they had a bigger soundstage than my 580s.

Really?
When I had the sextetts I thought they had a bigger soundstage than my 580s.

That was just a first impression. It might be the fact that the Sextett's are more "fun" and lively than the HD580's. With the sound being more up-front, I may not be focusing on the background noises as much as I could with the HD580's. I will say that they sound amazing though and I listened to them for around 6 hours yesterday and did not get fatigued at all.

I will probably reserve my HD580's for moives and home theater stuff, but as far as music and everyday listening the Sextett's might have taken over that roll.

I ordered a pair of MB Quart 55x's off ebay because they are cheap and the velour pads should fit on my sextett's. I think the only thing keeping the Sextett's from being perfect are the pleather pads that make my ears sweat. I will post more impressions soon. Cheers!

How does your Denon D2000 sound in comparison to your DT880? I have DT990pro and while thye are great with classical and acoustic guitar etc. I think I would llike to get D2000 for rocks because they don't have the extended high end and I read thye have really good bottom end too. I think I would like a pair of clsed headphones because I remember back in 1979 I used to enjoy my Koss ProAA which were closed headphones. They had great bottom end sound quality.

It's amazing! It has cured my dt880s of their brightness, and all my other cans sound great with them. If you get it with the Firestone Audio Supplier (power supply) the soundstage gets wider.

He didn't get the PSU but he brought the amp over just 2 days ago and it is a nice sounding little amp, punchy is how I would describe it. Doesn't have as much power as my LunchboxPro though. My LunchboxPro has even smoother highs than the Cute amp but then that is expected because it is a tube amp. Lunchbox has more phat sounding bottom end and Cute amp has punchy bottom end so it's a matter of taste as to which someone might prefer.

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro Silver on eBay.

For the "break-in" period, I've heard you should play loud music thru the headphones for 100 hours or so.

Is it necessary to do that for 100 hrs STRAIGHT, or can it be intermittently over a week or so???

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro Silver on eBay.

For the "break-in" period, I've heard you should play loud music thru the headphones for 100 hours or so.

Is it necessary to do that for 100 hrs STRAIGHT, or can it be intermittently over a week or so???

Burn in does help, but it is not necessary to burn them in at a really high volume. However, if you want to try it out, just cover the headphones with some towels and turn up the volume when you are away from your computer or while you are sleeping for a couple of nights. That should give you an idea if the sound will change at all.

I'm skeptical of burn in. I owned 12 cans..I don't remember them changing, unless I upgraded my gear.
If true, manufacturers would be all over it. The more you listen, the better it will sound!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back