Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, stuck using Optical interconnect from my CE595 to the Zhaolu. I could of sworn the CE595 had a digital COAX out...also the optical out on my CE595 doesnt allow the pass through for the SACD function...thats a fuggin BUMMER.
Your DAC wouldn't decode it anyway; DSD is totally seperate from SP/DIF.

Your DAC wouldn't decode it anyway; DSD is totally seperate from SP/DIF.

Ya, i figured that out with alot of research on the web.

Oh well, most of my SACD are hybrids...only 2 that are not...

Got a new cable to try , Enigma Audio Oracle....testing it out tonight.

yeah, there's only a handful of SACD players that can send DSD out via HDMI, but then you have to have a receiver. My Oppo 980H to Marantz SR7001 is one such combination :D

ohh thats good to know..thanks for the info.

Im really enjoying this cable with my 650s. I posted some thoughts of it on headfi, if anyone interested in seeing it...can find it in the cable forums with my user. (HighLife there too)

Here's my newest set of 'phones... very good sound for $35 if you ask me :)

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1207bw.jpg

Ok... they're really red, but I liked the black & white pics.

IMG_1207.jpg

I apologize for all the noise in the pictures... pun intended :p

Here is my setup:

Portable_Headphone_Setup_by_GCTHawk7.jpg

Usually i just use the ibasso P2 amp on my computer, but the ipod fit nicer in the picture. ;)

My setup at CanJam, which was this weekend....was AWESOME...check headfi if you want to see more pics. Also won a pair of Sleek SA6 IEMs. I actually won a imod upgrade, but traded since im not a Ipod guy.

I asked Audiojunkies to use this pic, so its now problems me posting it, since it was my setup.

headfiheadphonecanjam20dz9.jpg

What a great thread!

2468618157_9fd9e0ce07_o.jpg

2469440744_fba3f054b8_o.jpg

These AKG K701 are keeping my ears very happy. However I am still looking for some good input on a headphone amp. This thread sure is good inspiration, but there is so much to look into still. I can´t wait to hear what they can really deliver. Right now I use them on my Audiolab amp and on the PC, directly plugged into my on board sound card (yes its a disgrace), but it ensures perfect transmission of noise. I just ordered the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude card using [H] rebate on Newegg, and I am considering hooking it up to a great DAC as well. Any recommendations ( ~$500) are appreciated.

lots and lots of choices in that range...get over to headfi and check it out. Will more then answer your question. You lookin for a DAC and amp combo for 500?

I love my DV336i, can be had for around 275, add like 50-100$ if you want to really make it shine with some killer tubes.

Maybe a Gilmore Lite for around 250. This is solid state though, might make the K701 sound to sharp.

The Heed can amp is also a nice amp for the money, another SS amp. Can be had for around 300ish.

In my opinion, after owner the 701s, i would get a tube amp. Not only can you fine tune your sound with different tubes, you get a nice warmer sound that the 701s surely need. Lots of nice tube amps out there.

For DACs, also alot to decide on. I have the Zhaolu with upgrades, can see a pic above your post. It comes with a small headphone amp, which is comparable to a small CMOY. If you getting a Prelude then you have a pretty source, as the Prelude is awesome when it comes to PC sound. You might be better off just getting a amp and using your preludes DAC. I also believe you can roll op amps on the prelude...which gives you a chance to change the sound signature if you so desire.

In my opinion, after owner the 701s, i would get a tube amp. Not only can you fine tune your sound with different tubes, you get a nice warmer sound that the 701s surely need. Lots of nice tube amps out there.

X2 (though I haven't owned a pair of K701s, my friend has one.)

I hear good things about the darkvoices too. Also the little dot series.

Thanks for the great info Highlife. There was quite a bit research to do once I arrived at headfi.. lots to learn!

I agree that the K701 has a very neutral and somewhat "clinical" sound to them. Therefore tubes sounds perfect. I find the Woo Audio 3 compelling and so does a lot of other K701 owners. After reading your post and doing more research I think I am going to go with the DAC in my Arcam CD72 and the DAC in Prelude for now. I laid eyes on one called "Benchmark".. over the top and frankly I´d rather wait until I can get the Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 SS amp when it settles to a better price point. In the meantime a permanent nice amp like the Woo Audio (which it hopefully is) will be ordered. I hope they ship to Denmark, or I will have to pick it up in the US at my girlfriends parents house, which is actually becoming a nice tradition and an awesome added bonus when visiting them twice a year hehe

I don´t have much experience with PC audio at all. Rolling op amps for instance.. will require further reading..

Some new gear im testing out...really nice so far...the Woo WA6 SE isnt even out yet...thats the prototype =)

The Headroom millet is mine, just got it in the mail today. Very nice and lush...replaced my DV336i for something alittle brighter.

Please forgive the camera, its old...sold off my 20d and going to pick up something else soon.

ampsdacsbb4.jpg

wa6sepf8.jpg

Some new gear im testing out...really nice so far...the Woo WA6 SE isnt even out yet...thats the prototype =)

The Headroom millet is mine, just got it in the mail today. Very nice and lush...replaced my DV336i for something alittle brighter.

Please forgive the camera, its old...sold off my 20d and going to pick up something else soon.

ampsdacsbb4.jpg

wa6sepf8.jpg

how do you like the DA10? I am thinking about buying one.

how do you like the DA10? I am thinking about buying one.

Its a pretty decent DAC...very nice sounding across the board. Its alot more mellow, laid back then i thought. Even my modded Zhaolu seems a tad brighter. However it could be that the interconnects are different.

Classical is where the Lavry sounded much nicer then the zhaolu. Zhaolu sounded grainy, gritty, which you can mistaken for detail, but when you hear a roll on a cymbal, you will notice it.

Also can notice it when a timpani is struck, with the lavry you can each tap of the mallet on the timpani, with the zhaolu its hard to make out, kinda melds together in a long hum.

Added the Oppo Digital SACD/DVD-A/DVD/CD player (DV-980H), which I'm using as a redbook transport to the Bel Canto.
The bottom is not flat, so I'm using brass footers as mass dampening devices instead. Headphones are HD650s, as always.

2511889779_636934978a_b.jpg

2511892043_4d69354ebc_b.jpg

2512716962_c79251c394_b.jpg

2511893101_8901586d62_b.jpg

The CD pictured is highly recommended to anyone looking for audiophile sound and great music :)

I was browsing a fleamarket this past weekend and came upon a pair of old AKG headphones. I asked the owner how much, he said 10 bucks. We parted ways, me with my new treaure. By dumb luck, they turned out to be AKG K240's - the Sextett version, which have passive radiators. They date from around 1975 since they appear to be an early version. They look brand new! These are mega rare and worth hundreds of bucks!!! :D They sound great to boot. Keep your eyes open at flea markets BTW. Pics to come soon!

I am a proud new owner of a set of Audio Technica ATH-A700's.
The build quality seems a little cheesy, mostly plastic, definitely not as nice as I thought they would be.
But my god, the sound sure as hell makes up for it.
I didn't think they would sound this great!

Now I just have to figure out why the hell my Denon receiver is only outputting left channel through headphones, meanwhile I'm pluggin them directly into my XtremeMusic sound card and enjoying my cd collection :)

Pics coming soon.

Picked up some new cans!
Pics for Denon AH-D1001 coming soon!

Yeah so i took my time posting pics. :eek:
PICT0085.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

So far these are THE most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. I can barely tell when I am wearing them. Also, the short cable length is just enough to reach my audio ports so they don't tangle everywhere. The extension comes in handy if I want to watch TV with them. Everything is so detailed now. The bass is light to moderate, but very clear and responsive. (which was what I was looking for)
I am loving these headphones.

I think my 2nd can is going to be the Denon 2000s....i really enjoyed them at Canjam this year.

I think my 2nd can is going to be the Denon 2000s....i really enjoyed them at Canjam this year.

Well that's not too bad of a hit to take. At least you're not collecting cans and selling everything you own to throw down a Blue Hawaii! :D

Well that's not too bad of a hit to take. At least you're not collecting cans and selling everything you own to throw down a Blue Hawaii! :D

you to? I know Boom and Asr both are going the way of the hawaii...

also, nice to see you on Hardforums Iron, didnt know you were a puter geek to =) just a Audio junkie like the rest of us. I hope you remember me from Canjam...couldnt miss me, was the other asian guy that spoke english =)

As a current HD555 owner, what pair of sealed cans would you guys suggest looking at? I was thinking about the Beyerdynamic 770's, but they're a bit expensive. I'd just like something that will keep out a little more sound, the 555's have a beautiful tone, but I can still hear my roommates television through them :)

Check out the Denon 2000s, they are closed...nice can, might be my next purchase. If your not in to spending that much, then maybe the HD280s might be what you need.

I just picked these up from Headfi for 55$, i couldnt say no....SR60s recabled with Canare wire and terminated (SE 1/8") with a Neutrik plug. This is going to be my "toss in the bag and go" can.

hpim1568lv2.jpg

I want some decent headphones for when I go running... I like these Sennheisers -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106037
Anyone try them out? The look kinda cool (I like the green, although some people probably don't...) and they have decent specs. I went into the apple store and saw them and asked them about them. They were charging $50 for them. :S
Input appreciated.

^^i once tried that pair of senn's, they sounded ok for the price but they where very uncomfortable. that extra "thingie" thats supposed to keep the phones in your ear hurts shortly after you put them in.:( i sent them back instantly !

^^i once tried that pair of senn's, they sounded ok for the price but they where very uncomfortable. that extra "thingie" thats supposed to keep the phones in your ear hurts shortly after you put them in.:( i sent them back instantly !

K thanks for your help. That thing was the main thing I was worried about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back