Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got these on Saturday

IMG_28151.jpg

Paired with a Auzentech Prelude

***New Portable Setup***

For a while I've been using rubber bands to attach my iPod to my Corda Move and had to use a silly mini-to-mini cable straight out of the headphone-out.

My portable setup has now had some nice additions:
- LOD connector to female mini-jack
- Cable (made a few hours ago)
- Atrio M5s (replacing my Creative EP-630s)

Okay, it isn't the best portable setup in the world and the cable isn't exactly great, but at least I don't have to worry about everything falling apart when I'm carrying the thing around!

I'm still not too happy carrying about £370 worth of equipment around with me, but at least it sounds good!

nice cable...i love Neutrik plugs...have the same ones on my supermini interconnect.

My ZVM-custom mini- GoVibe

p2040890mediumcf4.jpg

nice cable...i love Neutrik plugs...have the same ones on my supermini interconnect.

My ZVM-custom mini- GoVibe

Thank you! Nice rig, yeah those plugs are pretty decent aren't they.

What did you do about the white plastic bit that goes inside? I just cut off the flappy part of the clamp bit and left the top of it attached.

Thank you! Nice rig, yeah those plugs are pretty decent aren't they.

What did you do about the white plastic bit that goes inside? I just cut off the flappy part of the clamp bit and left the top of it attached.

I didnt make this myself....i was at a headfi meet and a friend made it for me =) i believe he cut it also.

Hey get a Zero Dac in front of the DV..will make it sing;)

Oh yeah..nice Head Phones

I pulled the trigger on a Zhaolu 2.5A with the upgrades by Eddie wu, its bypassing the caps, replacing the caps at psu with blackgates and upgrading the clock with tcxo and changing the opamps to 2x 4562s. Will post more when i get it in a few days...very excited =)

I didnt make this myself....i was at a headfi meet and a friend made it for me =) i believe he cut it also.

wow that guy must have not known what he was doing lol :p

I pulled the trigger on a Zhaolu 2.5A with the upgrades by Eddie wu, its bypassing the caps, replacing the caps at psu with blackgates and upgrading the clock with tcxo and changing the opamps to 2x 4562s. Will post more when i get it in a few days...very excited =)

Sweet..give us your impressions..going to take awhile to break in the Black Gates
Its fun isn't it?

wow that guy must have not known what he was doing lol :p

FLECOM!!!!

How the hell are you? You coming to Canjam? What new toys are you going to bring to :eek: me ...i know you got something brewing....hows the Dynamite?

--

Also, will of course post impressions and thoughts also pics of it when the zhaolu gets here. If Flecom comes to Canjam, he will be able to listen to it himself...even though his gear is waaaaay better. I have some pics of it sent by the seller posted on head fi in the source forum if you want to check it out.

A new toy: PPA2
IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

Heard one of these a couple years back at a meet and was amazed by the sound. I'm in the process of downsizing my rig (sold off my PPX3 already) and wanted an amp that had a small footprint but could still manhandle anything you threw at it. This was the first amp that came to mind. Sounds just as great as I had remembered it.

A new toy: PPA2
Heard one of these a couple years back at a meet and was amazed by the sound. I'm in the process of downsizing my rig (sold off my PPX3 already) and wanted an amp that had a small footprint but could still manhandle anything you threw at it. This was the first amp that came to mind. Sounds just as great as I had remembered it.
That's pretty sweet. Is that a par metal enclosure + ... the clear anodized finish?
It looks like an extremely clean build.
I'm planning to make one myself when I get back from summer break, but
the lack of decent cases is what's holding me back the most.

That's pretty sweet. Is that a par metal enclosure + ... the clear anodized finish?
Ghetto one out of cardboard.

I forgot which enclosure it is, but I liked it cause of its small size. I can't take any credit for building it, as I had MisterX do it. If you're interested in the model/brand of the enclosure, I can try and find out from him. It's a very snug fit with the PPA2 board.

I mean, I don't want you to go out of your way to find out, but yeah, I'd be grateful if you could ask him.

Lol, I was going through my firefox tabs, and was thinking that this case looked really familiar =P
Too bad you have to ship it from Italy though.. =/

Hey guys... I know this isn't the "Post you headphones wallpaper" thread, but I thought maybe someone would be interested :D If it makes it better, I plan on getting the AKG K701's soon.

ArcticAKG.jpg

HeyMisterDJ.jpg

The enclosure is actually from that series. I'm not sure what supplier he gets them from though.

I know, =P
I think that particular size is available at Teko enclosures for $55 + SH
Most are shipped from italy though, normally around $70 shipping per order, and total to around $100 each.. I think about $160 for two, if you combine shipping..
oh yeah, forgot to ask.. does the pcb fit inside a notched slot on the interior of the case, or is it mounted on a stand-off, or some other kind? Thanks

Hey what would you guys recommend between the AKG K701's and the Beyerdynamic DT 990's if both were around the same price?

Hey guys... I know this isn't the "Post you headphones wallpaper" thread, but I thought maybe someone would be interested :D If it makes it better, I plan on getting the AKG K701's soon.

Good for you..What are you going to plug it into?
ArcticAKG.jpg

HeyMisterDJ.jpg

Well right now I have an Onkyo TX-SR304 receiver, but I was thinking of getting a decent headphone amp or maybe try to build one. I am having a hard time deciding AKG K701's and the Beyerdynamic DT 990's :confused: I am currently using Sony MDR-V6's, which sound decent but I want more :D

Well right now I have an Onkyo TX-SR304 receiver, but I was thinking of getting a decent headphone amp or maybe try to build one. I am having a hard time deciding AKG K701's and the Beyerdynamic DT 990's :confused: I am currently using Sony MDR-V6's, which sound decent but I want more :D
And we have an entire thread for your discussion that's even stickied if you'd look.

k701 are more neutral and natural sounding, bass will be lighter than your MDR-V6's, depending on the power it's given, mids and highs are just darn great though. People are hoping the K702's coming out are the bassier version of the 701s. The DT990 I would probably describe as a better version of your V6.

Philips SHP9000 and Alessandro MS-1
1.jpg

I got the Philips when they weren't even available here in the US yet (idk if they even are yet)

I'm leaning toward the AKG's with a nice headphone amp.

eetoi, nice stand for the Grado's ;) Where'd you get it? And those Philips 'phones look pretty comfortable.

Hey - I have a quick question. Is there anyway around the horrible sound quality the iPod's put out? I can't stand the tinny sound they put into my speakers and headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD485's that I use when I'm out of the house a lot, and they sound terrible with my iPod. It's a 5th gen classic... The thing also sounds bad hooked up to my receiver, which is the only device I have that sounds bad on my speakers.
I also have my Steelpad 5H, Senn pc161, and my cheaper JVC "marshmallow" earbuds, which surprisingly sound decent.. Well, better than the default iPod ones.

Hey - I have a quick question. Is there anyway around the horrible sound quality the iPod's put out? I can't stand the tinny sound they put into my speakers and headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD485's that I use when I'm out of the house a lot, and they sound terrible with my iPod. It's a 5th gen classic... The thing also sounds bad hooked up to my receiver, which is the only device I have that sounds bad on my speakers.
I also have my Steelpad 5H, Senn pc161, and my cheaper JVC "marshmallow" earbuds, which surprisingly sound decent.. Well, better than the default iPod ones.

Get an amp and a line-out cable.

Hey sdgserv, which one do you find yourself listening to more often; your senns or beyers?
I know they're really different, but I think I should use the extra money to get parts for a millet max or ppav2 instead of just buying more headphones.. Thanks =)

I'm leaning toward the AKG's with a nice headphone amp.

eetoi, nice stand for the Grado's ;) Where'd you get it? And those Philips 'phones look pretty comfortable.

That "stand" for the Grado's is made out of paper :D rapidsearch "nekomodel". And yes the Philips are very comfortable, they're my main pair right now. The pads are so incredibly soft and nice and completely circumaural.

Oh and elite.mafia: get another mp3 player lol, and an amp I suppose. anythingbutipod.com is a good reference. I hear great things about Sandisk/kenwood/samsung/IRIVER/and of course, Cowon players. The sansa clip is really hot right now.

Hey sdgserv, which one do you find yourself listening to more often; your senns or beyers?
I know they're really different, but I think I should use the extra money to get parts for a millet max or ppav2 instead of just buying more headphones.. Thanks =)

I have been asked that question a number of times...and with good reason..For Jazz or light listening..Early morning or late night. DT 880's.
The DT 880's are the most comfortable HPhones I have worn. With the Cardas cable they cover the sound spectrum very..very well. I can't say one bad thing about them..They work well with tube amps as well as SS.
One word for me describes them..BORING.. At the end of a listening session, I am left with an empty feeling. They don't have a FUN sound.. I just never reach for them first..Kinda like a weak drink at a subdued party where everybody is polite.
Hope that helps

FLECOM!!!!

How the hell are you? You coming to Canjam? What new toys are you going to bring to :eek: me ...i know you got something brewing....hows the Dynamite?

--

Also, will of course post impressions and thoughts also pics of it when the zhaolu gets here. If Flecom comes to Canjam, he will be able to listen to it himself...even though his gear is waaaaay better. I have some pics of it sent by the seller posted on head fi in the source forum if you want to check it out.

i cant go... im on the committee for the MS-150 bike tour which is that same weekend :(

I have been asked that question a number of times...and with good reason..For Jazz or light listening..Early morning or late night. DT 880's.
The DT 880's are the most comfortable HPhones I have worn. With the Cardas cable they cover the sound spectrum very..very well. I can't say one bad thing about them..They work well with tube amps as well as SS.
One word for me describes them..BORING.. At the end of a listening session, I am left with an empty feeling. They don't have a FUN sound.. I just never reach for them first..Kinda like a weak drink at a subdued party where everybody is polite.
Hope that helps

i hear this a lot, and i just dont understand... the DT880s are accurate, apparantly to a fault, if you want headphones that let you hear the music exactly how it was recorded the 880's will get you damn close...

they dont havea huge mid-bass bump or insanely bright highs... they just sound normal... but very detailed...

i wouldent consider that to be "boring"

I got tired of constantly duct-taping a cheap radioshack mic to my philips headphones (wasn't doing too much good for the finish either). So I utilized some cardboard and a rubber band to make a slightly better solution. Inspired by whoever did that DT770 mic mod.

PICT1356.jpg

The mic rotates up and down too! And of course, it's removeable.

And here it is...i was pretty upset that it wasnt packed properly, came damaged...however it sounds incredible. It really does tame the bass giving it a deep extended sound without the THUMP. The highes are a tad recessed though it seems, not really bad, not super great though. It takes the tizzz out of my CE595. Im using my DV336i and it really does give a nice sound. I plugged in the amp in the Zhaolu for a sec. Its ok, nothing like the warmth of my tube amp, however its not bad sounding either. I would compared it to my Govibe.

Also, stuck using Optical interconnect from my CE595 to the Zhaolu. I could of sworn the CE595 had a digital COAX out...also the optical out on my CE595 doesnt allow the pass through for the SACD function...thats a fuggin BUMMER.

More thoughts to come soon, going to give it a good burn in today, maybe some tomorrow. I dunno if i should return it cause of the damage. I really like the sound and know im not going to find another one upgraded like this. I was maybe hoping he would give me a discount on it.

img0500largeys0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back