Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hehe....actually meant Cardas. Apparently my fingers outrun my brain when i'm excited.

This is my first complete "audiophile" grade setup...DT880/250 05' with Cardas recable and Cardas 3.5mm to rca patch cable, courtesy of "cantsleep" from head-fi.org. Powered by a MisterX PPAv2. I'd like to publicly praise both of these great guys for all their help and advice. /Applaud

How do they sound do you ask? Treble has been smoothed WAY out no more gritting your teeth on the highs and the bass has been brought forward. Ideal sound imho.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Those are RCA cables right? I have an Entech 203.2 going to a MisterX Pimeta via some cheapo radioshack cables. Would it be a good idea to get some higher quality cables to replace those? Bit-matched digital out from my X-fi to the entech via cards flexijack to coax.

I waited specifically for this complete setup to arrive before using it. Yesterday I threw on a monstercable 3.5mm to rca cable to see if there was any difference, there is. Can't quite explain what it was...but the sound is...cleaner?! Best way to describe it. Also, the recable was done with the same wiring as the rca so essentially all the wiring matches from the s/c to your ear.

Would it be a good idea to get some higher quality cables to replace those?

YES!
Radio Shack cables are crap!
(I could have swore I told you that before)

Also, the recable was done with the same wiring as the rca so essentially all the wiring matches from the s/c to your ear.

You should have told me the headphone cable was going to be red and black.... I would used the same flexo on the umbilical cable. :D

You should have told me the headphone cable was going to be red and black.... I would used the same flexo on the umbilical cable. :D

It was a suprise...yell at james...he didn't tell me what colors they were going to be, said it was something new he wanted to try. Looks good though.

YES!
Radio Shack cables are crap!
(I could have swore I told you that before)

Heh thanks solo and MisterX.

So... I suppose someone has a recommendation on good cables to use? :p Would monster cables be a good idea?

RCA ? I would go with Blue Jean Cables over Monster. Then again, I would go with almost anything over Monster on principle.

RCA ? I would go with Blue Jean Cables over Monster. Then again, I would go with almost anything over Monster on principle.

Blue Jeans is so damned expensive though. Everyone recommends them to me (well, avsforum) and since they're local I thought it would be perfect but when I try to justify 10x cost vs somewhere like monoprice for equipment thats not thats not phenomenal in the first place, I just can't do it. The wires for my speakers would cost more then my speakers in the case of the rears.

what isnt it like 20-30 for a pair of 1m rca cables from blue jeans? Not bad for quality contruction and performance. Way better than exotic overly marketed $400 ones eh?

what isnt it like 20-30 for a pair of 1m rca cables from blue jeans? Not bad for quality contruction and performance. Way better than exotic overly marketed $400 ones eh?

I was speaking more in general rather then specific of RCA cables. Their component cables, which is what I was (am) looking at are very expensive.

My updated setup:
IMG_0810_edited-1.jpg

A MisterX PPA and STEPS feeding my HD600s.
Thanks MisterX, I hope that I wasn't too much of a PITA:D
Don't worry, I listen to maily losless, I just happen to have Rhapsody open:)

Signalcable also has some reasonably priced offerings and they tend to have a higher level of fit and finish than the Bluejeans cables. ;)

hah, wow.

As per the suggestion to get some quality interconnects for my dac-->amp, I went to CC and picked up some monster interlink 300mkIIs just for the time being while I make my decision about what cables to get online (bluejeans, signal, used head-fi etc)... and lol, I feel like an idiot.

Here I've got these "Zebra" Darth Beyer 80ohms pros, which less impressively are coming from an x-fi ACM bit-matched Foobar KS --> Entech 203.2 --> MisterX Pimeta, which I've had for over a year now, thinking I've got a decent setup on the cheap. However, amazingly these monster's alone made a DRAMATIC difference. I totally wasn't expecting this at all. Not in the least...

The sound is just 10x clearer, crisper, deeper bass etc etc. I'm impressed. Thank you so much guys for waking my ass up! It will be interesting to see what one of the aforementioned cables will do for the sound now =D Don't I feel like such a poser eh?

Blue Jeans is so damned expensive though. Everyone recommends them to me (well, avsforum) and since they're local I thought it would be perfect but when I try to justify 10x cost vs somewhere like monoprice for equipment thats not thats not phenomenal in the first place, I just can't do it. The wires for my speakers would cost more then my speakers in the case of the rears.

wow, don't look at my website then! :eek: and my prices are very reasonable compared to most hi-fi cables

The other option for cables is to find one of the DIYers around who'd be willing to make you one. Larry over at headphile.com makes some nice cables as well for a decent price.

Recive my new pair of headphones today the audio technica ATHD-700. All i need is my predule that i gonna get on pre-order and I be all set. I enjoying them right now and love them.

I need a great Headset for Music/gaming ..i cant find anything ...can you guys help me out? i also have a x-fi xtremegamer fatality series with a kick ass rig so please help me out

They are a burden to use, due to flexibility, but I have been very impressed with my CablePro Panorama mini interconnect, which serves as conduit from amp to ipod. I don't use it much anymore, as I am less mobile, and require RCA (and seldom use the ipod outside of the car).

I compared it to a 20$ Cardas 6 inch interconnect. Short story is the Cardas is much easier to use, but doesn't begin to compare in terms of sound quality. The Panorama is on a completely different plane, both aurally and economically :p

I need a great Headset for Music/gaming ..i cant find anything ...can you guys help me out? i also have a x-fi xtremegamer fatality series with a kick ass rig so please help me out

you can grab the headphones i have for 107 off amazon. the audio technica ATH-AD700.

No but i would recommand you grabbing somethign like mine, and then use CMSS3d headphone which would sound better and also better then any 5.1 headphones. I used to use 5.1 headphones my self. But got tired of my razer phones lack of rear bass.

so do your self a favor just use your CMSS3D headphone mode with better quaity pair of stereo headphones, instead of 5.1 headphones. There better then those 5.1 headphones.

I actually agree with any one esle thats says this after listen to some with my onboard and Virtuall Surround in my vista boot.and then even more with my new headphones.

The other option for cables is to find one of the DIYers around who'd be willing to make you one. Larry over at headphile.com makes some nice cables as well for a decent price.

Or DIM :p I've heard you can make quality cables using cat5e net cabling... and that intrigues me for sure, as I have a ton of that around. I have a soldering kit as well, albeit maybe it's a bit cheap as it came in a compusa pc repair kit; I've also never soldered before, but I have plenty of crap to test it on.

To add on what I've experienced with the cable change;

One thing I've noticed when using the crap cables is that when I'd adjust the volume on my amp, I'd get lots of static, but only when adjusting... anyone care to explain what's going on there when that's happening? Is it EMI noise or something like that due to the cables not properly shielded? I'm curious. With the monster's, absolutely none of that happening.

Also, I don't suppose getting a high quality Digital Coax is going to make any difference? It connects my x-fi's flexijack 3.5mm + 3.5mm to coax adapter --> radio shack THX digital coax that goes to the entech. From what I've heard, digital cables ie toslink/coax aren't as prone to interference as analogs... correct?

Soloz... yeah too expensive for me =( I don't need any sort of length over 2ft either....

so I'm thinkin that I might just cruise head-fi for sale forums for a bit (maximum 30 days :p) to try and grab a good pair of interconnects for around $30 or so...

Or go signalcable, or blue jeans..

Does anyone know if monoprice has some quality interconnects? And did I read that right, that you can use component cables as interconnects?

lol, my thoughts exactly. I don't think i've ever seen anyone call Blue Jeans expensive.

yeah, when people think I'm too expensive I normally tell them to go to bjc because they get everything in huge bulk so their prices can be lower. Plus, they make great digital cables and I don't make digital cables.

lol, my thoughts exactly. I don't think i've ever seen anyone call Blue Jeans expensive.

For a min i though you guys was talking about a pair of pants til i went back a couple of pants :D

edit: how the hack did i miss this typo even came back in here the other day.

yeah, when people think I'm too expensive I normally tell them to go to bjc because they get everything in huge bulk so their prices can be lower. Plus, they make great digital cables and I don't make digital cables.

More or less, I am the same. Though I don't have a website like you, my PM box at head-fi is usually full from people asking for cables. Most people want solid silver cables for the price of starquad. It's frustrating, to be honest. Ha, or the time I had a guy call me a selfish asshole for not making him cables at cost. :rolleyes:

More or less, I am the same. Though I don't have a website like you, my PM box at head-fi is usually full from people asking for cables. Most people want solid silver cables for the price of starquad. It's frustrating, to be honest. Ha, or the time I had a guy call me a selfish asshole for not making him cables at cost. :rolleyes:

I know that feeling only to well.

mess.png

(2 weeks worth of messages)

lol selfish assholes both you are.

naw there's no better value than a MisterX amp. Now if you start making amps for Stax like my SR-Lambdas hit me up Marshall.

I know the feeling of being unappreciated. I tried to hook people up on a crazy subwoofer deal on head-fi and all I have gotten is accusations and attitude so far. Last time I try that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back