Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys shop for audio gear like women shop for purses and shoes. If it costs more, it must be better and I must have more of it and more expensive stuff than the other guy :p

For 15k, I could buy a $2000 worth of audio equipment that has 95% the capabilities of your stuff and a new Yamaha R1 to get out of the house and really enjoy life on. :rolleyes:

Had one guy from the Polk forums come by and tell me straight up, "I think that there is no reason to buy any speaker over $2000 because they all sound the same from then on in." Well, we had my $2000 Strata Mini speakers hooked up and the $10K Martin Logan Summits hooked up as well... in A/B fashion, the guy listened to several recordings (btw, he also brought over his $1K Polk LSi9 speakers to A/B/C). His comments were, "Well.... I guess I have to eat my words. Apparently, if I had the money, I would get the Summits as they were undeniably better in every facet of the reproduction. There's no point in even buying the $2000 Minis..." Another forum guy (from headfi) came by and left with one phrase uttered several times.... "... mind boggling."

My belief is that about $10K brings you to the table of complete sound reproduction (full range and what not), the biggest difference between speakers beyond this range, IMO, will lie in your own preference as to how something should sound when reproduced. Of course, there are exceptions as there are $27K Magico Mini bookshelves which are not full range, nor complete in its reproduction... though reviews seem to point to a nirvana in sonic reproduction.

Bottom line, I dont think you can easily dismiss hi-end like that. It exists for a reason and there are products out there (in the expensive bracket) that actually give the owner back every cent back (relatively).... just as there are budget speakers that perform beyond their price bracket.

My Christmas presents to myself are all here now.

HD650s and MisterX M3
M3
IMGP1531.jpg

HD650 (and my MS-1s)
IMGP1532.jpg

The whole setup now
IMGP1530.jpg

Meh, I'm content with my Icemat Siberia (black) headphones. I'm by no means an audiophile... but a purist gamer who likes the glossy blackness of these headphones. Goes well with my Razer Tarantula keyboard that is the same glossiness..

but, schapman the two monitors you use. Are the exact same monitors I have on my desk... creepy.

Meh, I'm content with my Icemat Siberia (black) headphones. I'm by no means an audiophile... but a purist gamer who likes the glossy blackness of these headphones. Goes well with my Razer Tarantula keyboard that is the same glossiness..
Ignorance is bliss for your good friend called Mr. Wallet.

Between the HD650s, new amp, and UM2s I bought all at once the wallet and I aren't on speaking terms right now :)

rayman2k2 said:
Oh yeah, my wallet is suing me because of abuse
Hahahaha.
That's the price we pay for such luxuries.

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a new PX100 (white) for portable applications to replace my KSC75. Was also looking at the IGrado, K81, K27, but I think they are too big for what I want, plus more expensive. So, I should have new pictures up soon enough, hopefully before I go back to college.

See, now don't go doing that. What your doing by saying that is making me want to purchase some quality headphones to hear the difference. BLAST YOU! :D

Trust me, you have know idea. Just keep what you have and go on not know. If you try something better, you'll almost certainly have to have it... then we have to start apologzing to your wallet and such...

I got the ATH-A900 now as well. Not sure how I like them. Miss the bass a bit from my DT 770:s and it really hurts your ears on the real high tunes. But otherwise they are awesome :)

DT 770 you lay back and listen to those you stand and listen to :)

I recently ordered a Sennheiser PX100W headphone and got it in a few days ago.
My goodness!!!! For 38$, these things are so gosh darn amazing!

I had read people who said the PX100 were 90% of the HD580. I thought they were exaggerating, but now that I hear them... I have to agree (which doesn't say much for the HD580 sadly). Great comfort, light weight, good colors (IMO), and they sound killer for the price. A great addition to my portable rig to replace the KSC75's. Highly recommended!

Now some pictures!

px100.jpg

PX100W and Ipod Nano
px100b.jpg

^_^

Here's a picture of the headphone curse in full effect. And this is only the headphone's I've kept........ (Darth beyer's aren't pictured either)
stands2.jpg

(From left to right)
Sennheiser HD280pro, Sennheiser HD590, Beyerdynamic DT770pro 250ohm, Sennheiser HD580, Sennheiser PX100, and out in front is the little Koss KSC75.

Probably 650$ in headphones alone right there. ~_~

wow tower... me and you are so alike.......
I have 4 out of the 6 headphones you posted XD
280pro, hd580, ksc75, and dt770!

setupjan2.jpg

Modified Cambridge 640c -> Mapletree Ear+ HD -> Pass Aleph M clone -> AKG K-1000
Modified Cambridge 640c -> Mapletree Ear+ HD -> Grado RS-1 / Beyer DT770/250 / AKG K-340
Modified Cambridge 640c -> Sennheiser Baby O.

Everything but the 640c, Aleph, and K-1000 is being sold, after which I'll get a "real" preamp for the Aleph, and a nice turntable setup. Then, I'm «really» done with headphones.

Those are 580's right?

Does the wood change the sound much? I noticed going from 580 to 600 grills didnt do much, and if I cover them with my hands to get a psuedo-closed effect, that doesnt really effect the sound either.

Those are 580's right?

Does the wood change the sound much? I noticed going from 580 to 600 grills didnt do much, and if I cover them with my hands to get a psuedo-closed effect, that doesnt really effect the sound either.

Yes it does change the sound. About as much as if you have your hands cupped over , without the stock grilles on. However, the sound is warm and the bass is alittle flat. I always thought the 580 bass was to boomy at times. The sound stage does suffer a tad, but for music its not bad at all. I really enjoy the more up front presentation the woody gives. Also, for the first time, i listen to my music without a EQ at all. Mids and Highs are great, again alittle more upfront.

I have just the back of the driver cover in cotton to dampin the sound. Im still experimenting with what type and how to dampin the inside of the woody. I have tried full of cotton, just a paper towel lining the bottem and now just 1 peice of cotton behind the driver only.

Gargeous! How do they sound?

They have the best midrange of any headphones I've owned (quite a few) and are certainly among the best out there in that regard. Everything else is done very well as one would expect from a high end headphone; nothing that really sticks out as being particularly exceptional or flawed. So they really just let you revel in that midrange goodness while not getting in the way of the rest of the music. They are great for classical, and I'm finding the midrange to be quite sweet with male vocals and guitar as well.

They have the best midrange of any headphones I've owned (quite a few) and are certainly among the best out there in that regard. Everything else is done very well as one would expect from a high end headphone; nothing that really sticks out as being particularly exceptional or flawed. So they really just let you revel in that midrange goodness while not getting in the way of the rest of the music. They are great for classical, and I'm finding the midrange to be quite sweet with male vocals and guitar as well.

heh reminds me of my old ad2000

Look what the cat dragged in!

Darths.jpg

Darth05e.jpg

Yup, that's a 2005 BloodWood BlackMax Darth Beyer.
darth2.gif

I'm floored by how nice these are! Take's the bass up to a whole new level in quality!

What are the orange rings in the 1st pic?

Also, what's the difference between the SkyBeyers compared to the Darths?

What are the orange rings in the 1st pic?

Also, what's the difference between the SkyBeyers compared to the Darths?
The orange stuff is Elmer's Putty. I use it to plug up the 4 holes on the Darth's. This changes the bass, allowing you to tune the bass to your desired tastes. I prefer both the 05 and V2 with all 4 holes plugged. I'm going to write up a short review comparing the two. It's very easy to tell the differences, so i'll post back when I have it written up.

^_^

Where are the holes that you plug up? In the second pic, there's no holes where the orange putty was in the first pic. =T I'm a DB noob.

Where are the holes that you plug up? In the second pic, there's no holes where the orange putty was in the first pic. =T I'm a DB noob.
I just turned the headphones around in the two pictures. They can be seen from only one side.
So in the second picture, they are on the reverse side (not pictured).

Hey Mr. X,

How does the CKKIII sound? I've been thinking about possibly making one, but my knowledge only goes so far as I've only made a CMoy (the simplest version to boot). I figure if I just do everything slowly and follow instructions, I shouldn't have a problem?

But the important question is, how does it sound?

How does the CKKIII sound?

Considering the cost it sounds VERY GOOD.
(with the default output transistors it is just a tad on the bright side but otherwise very analytical)

I figure if I just do everything slowly and follow instructions, I shouldn't have a problem?

Tough call.
It is not so much about building the amp as it is troubleshooting it when you make a mistake.
Plus you have to deal with mains voltage in the Kumisa III so....

MisterX, I love the teeny-tiny-toroid!
lol, that one really does look kinda small compared to what we normally see in these amps doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back