Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
More new cans :)

Beyer DT-770 recabled with Canare Star Quad, bass ports (Even MORE bass :eek: ), and a modded headband (center rubber piece shaved down for comfort).

pb1900497kl.jpg

This will be my last update for quite a while. Next upgrade will probably be an electrostat system. :)

saturnine2 said:
More new cans :)

Beyer DT-770 recabled with Canare Star Quad, bass ports (Even MORE bass :eek: ), and a modded headband (center rubber piece shaved down for comfort).

This will be my last update for quite a while. Next upgrade will probably be an electrostat system. :)

did you mod them? I wanted to recable mine but I thought headphile was a little expensive. Do you notice a dramatic difference? I know people are going to think I am crazy.. but I want more bass than the 770's give me. I am thinking of picking up some UE Super.Fi 5EB's since I hear they have more bass impact than the 770's... but if recabling makes a difference.. I may try that too.

They were modded by kramer5150 over at Head-Fi. I traded my HD-580s for them :) If you want more bass, the ports really bring out the bass to insane levels. The ports on these are where the stock cables used to be on top, before the recable eliminated the need for them. From what he said, they were extremely easy to modify... Maybe you could shoot him a PM and ask him if he could mod yours, he did an excellent job with mine. :)

hd580rig.jpg

HD580 + Headroom Supreme + Cardas replacement cable + X-Fi Elite Pro

Pretty standard combo as far as headphone rigs go.

Svperstar said:
Not bad Chastity :)

I would recommend a DAC running from the X-Fi :)

Getting a DAC kinda makes getting the Elite Pro pointless. With the CS4398 behind the output, and decent opamps, what is the DAC going to give me? I'd be better off adding a Margules ADE-24 to reduce odd order harmonics.

Besides, I also have this nice MULTICHANNEL setup I use as well....

audiorig.jpg

flecom I see on Headfi you have the dynahi, is that what you use to drive the K1000? How does it manage at that?

I'm thinking of getting a pair after hearing a friends, pure aural sex right there.

[A]MD-Fan said:
flecom I see on Headfi you have the dynahi, is that what you use to drive the K1000? How does it manage at that?

I'm thinking of getting a pair after hearing a friends, pure aural sex right there.

im building a dynamite, but im half done, so i have a dynahi at the moment lol ;)

it does a great job of driving the K1000's, better than i expected really...

still not 100% satisfied, but im expecting the dynamite and the k1000's should be a match made in heaven... well, solid state heaven anyway :D

my only warning tho is dynahi's put out stupid amounts of heat, so if you plan on building one dont go skimpy on the heatsink, PII/PIII heatsinks are almost the exact same size as the width of the pcb so those work great, and are cheap, if not free!

heres my ubar ghetto/fire hazard dynahi at the tampa meet... complete with dell PII heatsinks from some Optiplex GX1's that we were tossing at work

DSCN0102.jpg

saturnine2 said:

you sure about that? :p

Or should I say... Are you Shure about that? :D

Well, I'm not exactly Shure, but I am getting a Studiophonic P25, a rebadged ER-4p with less accessories. :p Just traded the 770s for them yesterday, the 770s sounded awesome, but they just didn't have the isolation I was looking for.. Besides, this is just a sidegrade. The RS-1 won't be leaving my hands any time soon!

Ohhhhhhhhh, ghetto surround phones?
The IEMs under the RS1s aught to be a fun experience. :p

hey, my HD 497's are dying (sennheisers) they were great for the money, but after a couple years of abuse their life is coming to an end. What would you people reccoemend for about 50$... hd 212's? something else? i play games and listen to music(rap, some rock)...audigy 2 sound card...thanks for any reccomendations!

HD485 or MDR-XD400 both at digitallyunique.com for about 65 shipped... the 485 is suppose to be better than the 497.. and it's much better for gaming. the XD400 is just as good a little better for gaming but bigger and uglier, bass doesn't go as deep but still good.

Mister X said:
The IEMs under the RS1s ought to be a fun experience. :p
lol, I just gotta try that :p

boardsportsrule said:
hey, my HD 497's are dying (sennheisers) they were great for the money, but after a couple years of abuse their life is coming to an end. What would you people reccoemend for about 50$... hd 212's? something else? i play games and listen to music(rap, some rock)...audigy 2 sound card...thanks for any reccomendations!
Another pair of HD-497s? Or maybe a Grado SR-60 (not so good with games, more than your max price, but sound awesome), Senn HD201, Beyerdynamic DT231, Koss Porta Pro or KSC-35/75, AKG K26P.

i checked out all of those, and the sennheisers( the HD485 and 201 intrigued me the most) so far i have been really pleased with mine, and they look sick... im particularly interested in the hd 212 pro's...they're $50 shipped at amazon, look awesome, sennheiser quality(which for me has been great), but im wondering about the performace compared to these other options, from online reviews they seem pretty good, and alot of bass, no complaints there but wondering how they stack up to the competition. thanks for the help guys! :)

EDIT: would the 212's be an upgrade over the 497's i have currently?

would the 212's be an upgrade over the 497's i have currently?

If you think more boomy bass = an upgrade then yea the HD212s are an upgrade.
Otherwise No, they are not an upgrade. ;)

Some modded KSC-75's that I cooked up a couple weekends ago. Canare starquad, 1/4" Neutrik jack, drilled holes in the grill and some (hastily) cut earpads. Probably going to get another pair just for fun.

5_4297DBA4EF.jpg

Hrmm... my headphones are standard grade stuff, not worth posting here...
Philips behind the head ones that fold up into a ball (I like these)
Seinnheiser MX500 earbuds
Big pile of misc oem earbuds/headphones I dont use.

So I am curious about those cans...
Without an amp, how high do you have to crank your MP3 players? Seems like you would have to set them to full blast...

(I have only used a few closed air headphones and not for long either so I am asking ok?)
Do you feel the weight of them? They look heavy and would be uncomfortable..
Do they feel like earmuffs? Okay, thats a bad question as I have never worn earmuffs... I just know that headphones make my ears hot and uncomfortable, so do those cans manage to give enough space so its is more comfortable?

awdark said:
Hrmm... my headphones are standard grade stuff, not worth posting here...
Philips behind the head ones that fold up into a ball (I like these)
Seinnheiser MX500 earbuds
Big pile of misc oem earbuds/headphones I dont use.

So I am curious about those cans...
Without an amp, how high do you have to crank your MP3 players? Seems like you would have to set them to full blast...

(I have only used a few closed air headphones and not for long either so I am asking ok?)
Do you feel the weight of them? They look heavy and would be uncomfortable..
Do they feel like earmuffs? Okay, thats a bad question as I have never worn earmuffs... I just know that headphones make my ears hot and uncomfortable, so do those cans manage to give enough space so its is more comfortable?

Does it matter, once you get those and listen to them.. nothing else matters... grabbing me a pair tomorrow.. I need some good portables cans...

FLECOM said:
got my K701's today... mandatory pics follow... all images are *clickable* for larger version..
last pics are since a lot of people commented that the 701's were made for iPod owners... ;)

they actually sound quite acceptable out of the iPod, but they sound freaken amazing hooked to my dynalo...
damn I was thinking about getting the K701 but I wanted a black version :(

My gaming phones on the temporary stand I use between sessions. Speed Link Medusa 5.1 on the right, Sennheiser Orpheus on left.

Click for bigger image​

aZn_plyR said:
Does it matter, once you get those and listen to them.. nothing else matters... grabbing me a pair tomorrow.. I need some good portables cans...

Well, it is a strong curosity for me and depending on the needs I might or might not get a pair.

grabbed some KCS-75 a couple minutes ago...... and you know those two headphones I posted on top.... UMMMM these are as good as they are. :confused:

BYE time to listen to some kossgoodness...

to strid3r:
I dunno anything about those 'phones you've got there. They look like something somoene could get on the cheap, that aren't to bad, and might be great for a portable player. Are they worth the xtra work u did with the cabling? or was that just overkill you just did for fun?

Thanks!

"Speed Link Medusa 5.1 on the right, Sennheiser Orpheus on left."

That's just...horribly, horribly wrong. Like sitting Paris Hilton next to the Queen at a dinner party. :)

akwok said:
DSC00001.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

Audio Technica DHA3000 & L3000
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers!

An AKG K701 or RS-1 will be joining in next week or so, want to try them out and see how they are (I haven't tried a Grado yet!).. the K701 is self explainatory :).

Nice set... until I clicked the link you gave. I quickly changed my attitude from "nice, I'd like some" to "wow, what a collosal waste of money, no headphone or amp is worth that money". Really did not want to be negative, but my God, what were you thinking dropping that amount of money? There comes a point when audio quality is so minute of a difference to the human auditory system between the top end equipment and those, that paying that much money is ludicrous, especially for headphones. You plan on winning competitions and making money off that investment?

Now don't get me wrong, that is a beautiful setup you have there and I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but that is just flat out the most bogus thing I have ever heard of to pay that much for headphones.

I am just having serious trouble fathoming how those can possibly be priced at $5,199.00, even with an amp.

The amp in my car is one of the better monoblock class D amps out there producing nearly 2,000 watts and it was only $490.

I am just having serious trouble fathoming how those can possibly be priced at $5,199.00, even with an amp.

Do you realize that the Sennheiser Orpheus pictured on the previous page cost about twice that?
Assuming you can even find them of course.

Never knew the price of those. I wasn't singling anyone out, he was just the one who advertised the extreme pricetag on his equipment. I'm still wondering why the price is at a ripoff cost.

I guess everyone has their soft spot with something and will pay whatever the cost. I get the same flack from friends and family when I spend a FRACTION of that cost on the things I own.

then you havent heard them ;)

and i dont see why people get all crazy when you tell them the prices of some of this stuff... yet people will pay $80k for a crappy car that your going to get rid of in a few years? :rolleyes:

There is a bit more money put into constructing the vehicle, and it has many more uses out of it than a pair of cans. For instance, you can use it to move from one point to another exponentialy faster than using your own feet. You can pick up girls in it as well. While I would not personally spend $80,000 on a vehicle, the odds are in favor of a vehicle in your arguement. It's just me, I do not wear headphones 14 hours out of my day, meaning I do not need to spend that much on a pair.

Like I said, personal preference and everyone has their soft spot for something where they'll spend an obnoxious amount of money on the product/service. I just think anything over the $500 range is insanity at best.

I'm sure they sound phenomenal, and if you're into endless hour-long sessions of music, movies and gaming through headphones, then I would assume it's a life-long investment spent well. I like my movies in a speaker environment. I want to "feel" the explosions and the such.

And so I am not coming off as a jerk, I wasn't knocking you or anybody else out there with pricey cans, I was just having some serious trouble understanding why they cost that much regardless if they're hand-crafted and/or coupled with an amp and why someone would pay the price. Is it just to cure the envy of having the best of the best? I myself fall victim to it all the time, just I can't always burn the green to get the cure :D.

AdamW said:
"Speed Link Medusa 5.1 on the right, Sennheiser Orpheus on left."

That's just...horribly, horribly wrong. Like sitting Paris Hilton next to the Queen at a dinner party. :)

Paris Hilton plays the game better. So does the Medusa ;)

threedd97 said:
How do you like those Medusa's? I haven't heard anything good about 5.1 cans yet.

I like them. Far more than I expected to bearing in mind the comments on these and other forums, which leads me to believe that the vast majority of people who trash these have no experience of them. I find the Medusas superior in gaming to my main PC phones, which are the aforementioned Sennheiser Orpheus and also the Stax Omega II. In all cases, there's a advantage for the Medusa in that they do immediate positioning better and the vibration effect does actually help. I didn't go in with 'audiophile' pretensions because these days my sole use for headphones at home (including for the Orpheus / Omega) is to play games and for casual late-night listening, all on PC's.

However what's also clear out of this is how good CMSS-3D is on the X-Fi in terms of simulating surround. It does get close to the Medusa although immediate pinpointing of sound direction is harder, and if you pair the X-Fi with a good headphone, you can get a more balanced mix of high-quality music listening and decent gaming. But for avid gamers and those unwilling to compromise, the Medusa IMO do a better job in most games. They aren't terrible for music provided you keep the speaker configuration as 5.1. I plugged the Medusa into the multichannel outputs on the back of my spare SACD player, turned down the vibration effect, stuck on a piano concerto and found I could sit through the disc. The cheaply made 5.1 amp is definitely dragging the Medusa down in terms of music, because not only is it not exactly a stellar performer in fidelity terms it's also got some inteference problems when sat next to a PC. Careful siting eliminated the buzzing but it required some effort. I think if you game more than you listen, the Medusa are pretty good phones and they certainly work for me. I'm not sure if they're much good in a large LAN as they aren't closed.

threedd97 said:
There is a bit more money put into constructing the vehicle, and it has many more uses out of it than a pair of cans. For instance, you can use it to move from one point to another exponentialy faster than using your own feet. You can pick up girls in it as well. While I would not personally spend $80,000 on a vehicle, the odds are in favor of a vehicle in your arguement. It's just me, I do not wear headphones 14 hours out of my day, meaning I do not need to spend that much on a pair.

Like I said, personal preference and everyone has their soft spot for something where they'll spend an obnoxious amount of money on the product/service. I just think anything over the $500 range is insanity at best.

I'm sure they sound phenomenal, and if you're into endless hour-long sessions of music, movies and gaming through headphones, then I would assume it's a life-long investment spent well. I like my movies in a speaker environment. I want to "feel" the explosions and the such.

And so I am not coming off as a jerk, I wasn't knocking you or anybody else out there with pricey cans, I was just having some serious trouble understanding why they cost that much regardless if they're hand-crafted and/or coupled with an amp and why someone would pay the price. Is it just to cure the envy of having the best of the best? I myself fall victim to it all the time, just I can't always burn the green to get the cure :D.

thats not exactly my point... point is...

why did so many H2's get sold at $53k+ when you can get a fairly nice car for $20k?

dont both vehicles get you from point a to point b?

i dont have the best of the best, i cant afford (nor would i spend) that kind of money on a pair of headphones, but if somone else does, good for them... for example, i have a pair of K1000's... they cost $1000 at the moment (i didnt pay that much but irrelevant) do i think that the Orpheus sounds $9000 better? no... does it sound better? yes.... would i buy an Orpheus? no, but if you sold me one cheap... hrmm ;) :p

I suppose you made my point with the H2 and a $20,000 vehicle. You pay more to impress at a minimal difference in quality. It is technically a poor analogy considering the expensive cars are typically bought by the people with a larger bank roll, and they buy these more expensive vehicles for features and simply to state "hey, I'm this well off". I don't think it is like that with something with headphones.

I got way too far off on a tangent with my post as I was quite tired and blown away by the price of something as simple as headphones. Just, in a dumbed down version, what makes these so more more special than say, HD650's, to make their price that much higher? I mean, shouldn't there be a massive difference between the quality of the two? Like the difference between a freebee pair of headphones that come with a $20 portable cd player and a pair of HD555's?

You could say the same thing about people who buy basic Dells and do their digital camera printing, Microsoft Works usage wondering why people spend so much on computer parts for custom built rigs. The difference is the same.

same thing with choosing a bottle fine wine or a bottle of sutter home on sale for 3 for $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back