Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melons said:
Beyerdynamic DT880s, arrived today.

Jaw droppingly brilliant compared to the old 'phones. *cough* Technics *cough* Been going through old CDs that I know very well and finding details that weren't heard before.

Can't wait to buy an amp now. :)

Listen to Third Eye Blind's Blue Release, guaranteed to give you a good range of miscellaneous sounds to compare sound quality among serious of sets. DON'T get compressed copies, however, buy the album... the range of sounds available on that album are twisted and confused when they are compressed to OGG/MP3/WMA/etc

Buy the album, it's a pretty catchy, deep, melodic album that's full of hidden sounds

Well, I got bored the other night, so finished stuffing my Mint. Not cased or split yet, and I want to take the gain down when I get some different resistors (currently at 11, want it around 4), but it works, has only 1-2mV DC offset, and makes the E2c's sound much better. I don't have any good 9v batteries (though I had one but its down to about 4.5v, really scared me when I tested DC offset and it was several hundred mV, but I ghetto rigged it with a spare Fortron 300 watt ATX PSU, running the mint off the 12v rail, and it is fine. Actually sounds better than I was expecting.
minttest.jpg

angledmint.jpg

PCB.jpg

cetoole said:
Well, I got bored the other night, so finished stuffing my Mint. Not cased or split yet, and I want to take the gain down when I get some different resistors (currently at 11, want it around 4), but it works, has only 1-2mV DC offset, and makes the E2c's sound much better. I don't have any good 9v batteries (though I had one but its down to about 4.5v, really scared me when I tested DC offset and it was several hundred mV, but I ghetto rigged it with a spare Fortron 300 watt ATX PSU, running the mint off the 12v rail, and it is fine. Actually sounds better than I was expecting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/cetoole/mint/minttest.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/cetoole/mint/angledmint.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/cetoole/mint/PCB.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Where did you get those sleeves for the e2c's?

heres my E2c's and my iPod

[IMG]http://img190.echo.cx/img190/4236/pod9lr.jpg

TekieB said:
Where did you get those sleeves for the e2c's?

heres my E2c's and my iPod
Those are the new ultra soft flex sleeves for the e2c from Shure, I got mine in a headfi groupbuy.

cetoole said:
Those are the new ultra soft flex sleeves for the e2c from Shure, I got mine in a headfi groupbuy.

are they much better than the normal ones (would you buy them looking back?)

TekieB said:
are they much better than the normal ones (would you buy them looking back?)
Yeah, much more comfortable. I never could use the origional sleeves, used foamies until I got these. If you have ever used E3c with the black tips, this is very similar. Also similar to the EX71 tips, but sound better. I would get them again.

A whole flurry of new toys since the last post. :D

Sennheiser HD650 w/ Moon Audio Silver Dragon
hd650-1.jpg

Grado SR325i
sr325i.jpg

Grado HP-2
grado-hp2-1.jpg

grado-hp2-2.jpg

Ray Samuels "The Stealth" *ON LOAN*
stealth.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was bidding on a pair of nearly new HP-1s, but the seller decided to sell to the highest bidder (headphile) before the auction was over...at $162.50 I would have gladly paid up to $600 for them

And another pair of Headphile HP3000's was born. ;)

Just thought I'd bump this thread.. and post a pic from yesterdays NC head-fi meet :)

p51400116vy.jpg

Lots of good stuff here, a "maxed" Dynahi, PPX, Headroom Home Max, Antique Sound OTL, my PPA (Behind Drew...), SA5000 (amazing, my next headphones), Audio Technica W1000, my HD650s, HD580s shown. Behind the scenes are: Woo Audio 3, RS-1 (disappointing), 325i (also disappointing), the rest of the Grado line, my computer/monitor, a hell of a lot of Moon Audio cables, Ipod with some new piggyback amp, and the best home theater setup I have ever laid eyes on. (Shown at http://moon-audio.com/, DIY section). During this meet, I learned that I am not a Grado guy after all, and that the Senns really sound the best with a Blue Dragon V2 cable IMO. I am not a Moon Audio rep or anything, my HD650 really sounds freaking awesome with the blue dragon V2. And as crazy as this sounds, the MS-1 is actually better than the RS-1 IMO. The MS-1 has better/more bass, and the highs arent as painful.. The SA5000 has an EXTREMELY good soundstage, far surpassing that of the HD650, which makes it perfect for gaming. Hopefully I'll be bringing a pair to Quakecon :D The Dynahi was amazing, as expected. The Antique Sound Labs OTL was the most surprising to me, it sounded extremely smooth and refined, especially given the price of around $300. Plus, today we killed 2 pairs of headphones! Drew lifed a pair of HD600s, and a ceiling fan blade hit em. Damaged one of the drivers, it would vibrate and make strange noises. A nearly new pair of Grado SR325i died also, the right driver died when I was listening to them.. Says a lot about Grado's build quality.. My PPA from MisterX is still one of the best IMO, only bested by Drew's Dynahi which is definately out of my pricerange.. Anyways, these are my impressions. Headphone meets are fun :)

Oh, and the best headphones in the world are sitting on that couch armrest in plain view :p

The_Engineer said:
Where do you find equipment like this? A google for FEEL and /or HP-200SE and so on turned up very little usable data...

I ask because i'd like to look into a tube amplifier of some sort, preferably one that is much cheaper than that one... as i'm sure yours is not in my current range.

Actually it wasn't too bad price wise. It was about $430 usd. It was the shipping from china for this 40 lb. beast that was expensive (200 for shipping!). Was worth it though as this amp imo easily beats any other amp i've heard under $700.

PsychoZX said:
Actually it wasn't too bad price wise. It was about $430 usd. It was the shipping from china for this 40 lb. beast that was expensive (200 for shipping!). Was worth it though as this amp imo easily beats any other amp i've heard under $700.

what kind of tubes you have in there? Sovteks?

magnetik said:
what kind of tubes you have in there? Sovteks?

The amp comes with Electro-Harmonix gold pins. I just purchased some RCA clear tops to replace the 12au7s and some GE 5-star black plates to replace the 12ax7s.

Thought I'd try this in here. I just picked up a pair of Audio Technica A500's. Don't worry, Ill post pics. But I need to find a nice banana stand or hanger to hold them on. They are just way too big to be laying on the desk. I've seen some nice ones in here and wondered where you guys got them from.

I got a new toy today :)

p10100077qv.jpg

I had to get a pair of circumaurals, its getting a bit too hot and humid here in NC to be wearing Sennheiser earmuffs :p The RS-2s sound great, but with AD8610s in the amp, they are bright and fatiguing. Hopefully my OPA627s will be in tomorrow from MisterX. :D

What a way to justify new headphones, but dont you think the k1000 would have been better for heat?

cetoole said:
What a way to justify new headphones, but dont you think the k1000 would have been better for heat?
They would have been better heat wise, but not cost wise :p I just didnt have the extra $ at the time. Plus, I like deep thumping bass, something the K1000 is lacking IMO.

A pair of headphones may have more detail than a comparably priced speaker system, but they can NEVER provide the dynamics, impact, soundstage, and imaging of a full range speaker system. Trust me, ive spent over $6000 on my speaker system (which in the high end audio world, is not considered a lot :( )

:D

i would but my bose noise canceling and my ipod (which i had had for a grand total of two days) got jacked in JFK right before christmas. little bastard ran by me and grabbed my bose with my ipod in it. i couldnt run after him because i had 50 pound backpack on that had all of my stuff for the next six months. stupid mofo.

New cans, new post :)

p71400304xs.jpg

New stuff:
Alessandro MS-1, modded with metal grills.
Alessandro MS-2
Senn HD600
Ultrasone HFI-650
APH-47 amp
Headroom Bithead amp for laptop

saturnine2 said:
New cans, new post :)
Saw your other pic in the DC forum. What do you use those glasses/goggles for just out of curiosity?
Nice little setup by the way. Do you enjoy your Sennheiser 600's?

towert7 said:
What do you use those glasses/goggles for just out of curiosity?
Do you enjoy your Sennheiser 600's?
The glasses are leather wrapped Oakley Mars sunglasses. I use them to protect my eyes from the sun ;) Yes, I do get weird looks.
The HD600s are great IMO, I like them a bit more than the 650s. Slightly less bass bloat than the 650s.

Yea, I have sennheiser HD590's. I was tempted with the 600's or 580's, but in the end I decided to go with something that really did'nt need an external amp to drive. I'm always amazed at the price diffrence between good headphones, and good speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back