Post your hard drive Power On hours!

I have discovered a terrible bug in the 1BD142 series units, when they reach 80,000h the counter is reset: '(.
Mine already goes for 77,000h but it has not yet been reset, but my uncle has one like it, and it exceeded 80,000h and it was reset, now it marks 700h.
That's one heck of a bug! :eek:

I wonder what it is about 80k poh because at one point there was an HGST firmware bug in some of their enterprise ssds that would brick them at at poh (if I'm remembering correctly, which I'm probably not).

Daayyyummm...that system and drive are awesome for just working that long. I wouldn't have retired it and just left it as a failover for the VM version. Or at least that setup needs a new job--it's clearly still good for one. (y)
We still have well over 150 of those and 5015's (P4 socket 775 versions). Most of them still work, some have dead power supplies, 2-3 have dead boards.

Most of them are retired, I think 20 to 30 of them are still running. We are moving data centers in 2 years, by the end of this year they will all be offline.

Old picture in 2012 shortly after I got hired, that shows half of them lol.

1641926632175.jpeg

Unbelievable great how those are still running this many years later. Pop in a sound card and use it as a retro gamer. :D

What surprises me from a business standpoint that they weren't replaced sooner since more efficient servers would have been able to handle the same workload with less hardware aka less power/cooling/etc.

Unbelievable great how those are still running this many years later. Pop in a sound card and use it as a retro gamer. :D

What surprises me from a business standpoint that they weren't replaced sooner since more efficient servers would have been able to handle the same workload with less hardware aka less power/cooling/etc.
Listen, it took me 2 years of bitching about the CyberPower 2200VA (4 per rack) randomly crapping out taking 1/4 of the rack down every Wednesday's (Generator switch over every week) to get a APC Symmetra PX 80kW installed. It took another year to FINIALLY start getting newer servers with real cabinets and real network switches (Not Netgear trash that couldn't handle a internal file transfer that was maxing out the 1Gig link which cause it to have massive packet loss), which were HP DL360 G6 off lease servers on eBay.

Once those were live and I started to tell them we can offer VPS servers for extra income and I had taken a whole rack of servers into 10 servers (with room to grow), with less power, faster response time, and noise they started to noticed, "Wow, we were really doing it wrong." Almost none of our backend stuff is on hardware that old now. Most of what is left running is leased dedicated servers, very few server 2003 (Yes, still. :/ ), the reset is Linux.

I've been there for almost 10 years. This year, I've been told we are actually getting brand new servers for the new data center. It's not they couldn't afford it, it's they didn't want to.

Listen, it took me 2 years of bitching ...

Many businesses operate using the theory "If it ain't broke while doing the CEO's key Monday report two weeks running, don't fix it." If there isn't someone watching all of the costs, direct and indirect, a lot of bad decisions will be made.

Many businesses operate using the theory "If it ain't broke while doing the CEO's key Monday report two weeks running, don't fix it." If there isn't someone watching all of the costs, direct and indirect, a lot of bad decisions will be made.
I wish they would do that with our apps. They finally get it right then a month later, "here brand new from the ground up version" that breaks everything!

But yeah, you're right. It's just when it goes down, it's our fault. lol

Listen, it took me 2 years of bitching about the CyberPower 2200VA (4 per rack) randomly crapping out taking 1/4 of the rack down every Wednesday's (Generator switch over every week) to get a APC Symmetra PX 80kW installed. It took another year to FINIALLY start getting newer servers with real cabinets and real network switches (Not Netgear trash that couldn't handle a internal file transfer that was maxing out the 1Gig link which cause it to have massive packet loss), which were HP DL360 G6 off lease servers on eBay.

Once those were live and I started to tell them we can offer VPS servers for extra income and I had taken a whole rack of servers into 10 servers (with room to grow), with less power, faster response time, and noise they started to noticed, "Wow, we were really doing it wrong." Almost none of our backend stuff is on hardware that old now. Most of what is left running is leased dedicated servers, very few server 2003 (Yes, still. :/ ), the reset is Linux.

I've been there for almost 10 years. This year, I've been told we are actually getting brand new servers for the new data center. It's not they couldn't afford it, it's they didn't want to.
Wow, I'm stunned that they didn't run their own numbers and look at what the costs were. But if they were getting a deal on the used servers that counts too so maybe it was the same profit either way so why change it, which makes sense to me as that's what I do in business as well.

Wow, I'm stunned that they didn't run their own numbers and look at what the costs were. But if they were getting a deal on the used servers that counts too so maybe it was the same profit either way so why change it, which makes sense to me as that's what I do in business as well.

LOL! IT guy: "Costs are for the accounting people." Accounting: "Why tf do you think I have any idea what goes on in IT? I just pay the bills."

It takes someone who knows not only what the costs are, but which costs are tied to what potential capital expenditures. it takes someone who sees more of the big picture and a distressing number of businesses don't see the value in that. (Even the big ones, because this sort of costing tends to be departmental. Then you have not only small-group-think, but keep-heads-down think.)

LOL! IT guy: "Costs are for the accounting people." Accounting: "Why tf do you think I have any idea what goes on in IT? I just pay the bills."

It takes someone who knows not only what the costs are, but which costs are tied to what potential capital expenditures. it takes someone who sees more of the big picture and a distressing number of businesses don't see the value in that. (Even the big ones, because this sort of costing tends to be departmental. Then you have not only small-group-think, but keep-heads-down think.)
lol, and then you have china come in with all operations under 'the party' and undercut and drive these companies out of business...:(

Code:
 smartctl -a /dev/sda  | grep -E '(Device.Model|Power_On)'
Device Model:     WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       83384

83384 hours = 3474 days = 9 and a half years

I guess I should probably finish retiring this system; it was my home server, but I've moved most of the stuff onto newer systems, it's still the mythtv backend and one of the frontends though.

I wonder what it is about 80k poh because at one point there was an HGST firmware bug in some of their enterprise ssds that would brick them at at poh (if I'm remembering correctly, which I'm probably not).
Make a note of the serial number of the drive and take a screenshot. That way, when it resets you have proof.

Yes, unfortunately, I hope mine doesn't happen to him, but I don't think he's saved from the error :(.

Yes, unfortunately, I hope mine doesn't happen to him, but I don't think he's saved from the error :(.
@SamirD The reset just happened, I am very sad :'(, although in the WORST value it continues to subtract, so it is an indicator that the HDD continues to accumulate hours, but the hour counter was reset. The reset was done at 78183h.
Captura.png

But it is not completely lost, in flight hours the head stores another counter, but it can be viewed with gsmartcontrol.
image_2022-03-02_13-14-17.png

Last edited:
1646619254776.png

1646619282957.png

Not all of my drives but the longest running of them. The ones with 0's for load/power cycles are SSDs.

Captura.PNG

Still alive! It refuses to die, let's see if it can get past 100,000h, and if it does, I'll keep using it until I say enough.

The drives in my ZFS pool in my backup server should be hitting 70k hours any day now.

I should take a screen shot when they do.

My last HDD died sadly, but my current SSD while not as hard worked as most of the ones here is holding out well.

disk.PNG

View attachment 515334
Still alive! It refuses to die, let's see if it can get past 100,000h, and if it does, I'll keep using it until I say enough.
And it continues to live, it is incredible how hard this hard drive is, and these last few days it has been storing torrents of more than 50GB, moving many files and it continues here as if nothing had happened.
Then the Server's monitor, a Philips with a CCFL tube, in the VCP already shows 63,000h, a real savage, and the fluorescent light continues to shine well.
But soon I'm going to replace most of the server's disks, because I'll buy some 8TB ones and I want to unify everything on a hard disk, this 500GB disk will go to my work computer, and it will continue working until it breaks.

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    360.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's my oldest 2TB drive in my file server that has been running for quite a while. I probably have a few hard drives with more hours on them, but they're all in storage or in some of my retro PC's without SMART support.

10 years, 61 days (89,122 hours)--- 89 power cycles :p
Still going strong, no issues. Samsung 2TB HD204UI.

View attachment 365664
Time for a check-in. That drive is still going strong haha.

12y 13d of power-on time. (105,432 hours) --- 98 power cycles.

Hmm, apparently I've shut off my file server 9 times in a 2 year span.

power-on.PNG

My 3 TB Toshiba drives are at 83200 hours. 4 out of 5 deployed in the RAID are still there.

Solid effort.

Got 5 500gb drives, they were used when I brought them but so far... This is from October of last yr. They live in a raid0 on a perc h710 currently for bulk storage for VM's.

1st_from_bottom.png

Time for a check-in. That drive is still going strong haha.

12y 13d of power-on time. (105,432 hours) --- 98 power cycles.

Hmm, apparently I've shut off my file server 9 times in a 2 year span.

View attachment 568497

I still have some of those old Samsung 2TB HD204UI drives somewhere. They were great.

Currently, my highest hour count is a 14TB WD drive that was shucked at 29k hours in my Synology.

@SamirD The reset just happened, I am very sad :'(, although in the WORST value it continues to subtract, so it is an indicator that the HDD continues to accumulate hours, but the hour counter was reset. The reset was done at 78183h.
View attachment 449710
But it is not completely lost, in flight hours the head stores another counter, but it can be viewed with gsmartcontrol.
View attachment 449714
Wow! Looks like you have a 'new old stock' drive now. :D Good to know you can use the head flying hours to see the poh another way. :)

Wow! Looks like you have a 'new old stock' drive now. :D Good to know you can use the head flying hours to see the poh another way. :)
Yes haha.
When it got to 0 I thought, I'm going to sell it like new XDD.
Surely if I sell it more than one would think it's new, that HDD is incredible.
90,000h is approaching, the motor bearing does not sound, nor do the heads show signs of abnormal sounds, it seems that it came out of the box yesterday hahaha.
I will never have a disk like that again, it is incredible, for me it is worthy of study, because it does not have a reassigned sector, nor pending or correctable sectors.
Of course, the trick that is lasting so long is that it is powered by a very good quality PSU (a high-end server delta, with Japanese capacitors throughout its PCB, that PSU is immortal), and it never goes into energy saving mode, the disks that go into saving mode wear out the mechanics more.

Yes haha.
When it got to 0 I thought, I'm going to sell it like new XDD.
Surely if I sell it more than one would think it's new, that HDD is incredible.
90,000h is approaching, the motor bearing does not sound, nor do the heads show signs of abnormal sounds, it seems that it came out of the box yesterday hahaha.
I will never have a disk like that again, it is incredible, for me it is worthy of study, because it does not have a reassigned sector, nor pending or correctable sectors.
Of course, the trick that is lasting so long is that it is powered by a very good quality PSU (a high-end server delta, with Japanese capacitors throughout its PCB, that PSU is immortal), and it never goes into energy saving mode, the disks that go into saving mode wear out the mechanics more.
Yep! I always put anything I value on a UPS and turn off all the power saving crap. I have a bunch of marginal Eizo CRT monitors because I would allow them to go into power saving mode or turn them off--should have just left them on and they would still be reliable today. Same with HDs--I turn off all the power save crap the second I can.

So I just got some 'new to me' 80GB drives for shipping that were tested good. So I put them in an old Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ I rescued since it has a 2TB drive size limit and put these drives in. Nice little NAS unit came back to life. :) And when I went to look at the smart status on the drives, I was pleasantly surprised:

Model: ST380815AS N
Start Stop Count 47
Reallocated Sector Count 0
Power On Hours 87930

Model: WDC WD800JD-75MSA3
Start Stop Count 655
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 79559

So these drives have seen the last decade of computing pass by them...the stories they could probably tell...

I've set the NAS to not power the drives down and have the fan on as high was possible to keep the drives cool--hopefully they'll hit the 100k mark one day. :)

So I just got some 'new to me' 80GB drives for shipping that were tested good. So I put them in an old Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ I rescued since it has a 2TB drive size limit and put these drives in. Nice little NAS unit came back to life. :) And when I went to look at the smart status on the drives, I was pleasantly surprised:

Model: ST380815AS N
Start Stop Count 47
Power On Hours 87930

Model: WDC WD800JD-75MSA3
Start Stop Count 655
Seek Error Rate 0
Power On Hours 79559

So these drives have seen the last decade of computing pass by them...the stories they could probably tell...

I've set the NAS to not power the drives down and have the fan on as high was possible to keep the drives cool--hopefully they'll hit the 100k mark one day. :)
Wow, a Seagate 10 series one platter and one head, they are very reliable!! I consider the 10 series and the 1BD142 one of the most reliable that Seagate has created.
The other day a co-worker gave me his tower so that I could clone the disk and put it on his new PC, and when I see the Smart, I was amazed.The pc changed it because the power supply burned and smoke came out (the Switch mosfet that governs the transformer burned). No wonder, 100,000h for an HP Pavilion is too much lol.
I changed the swollen capacitors of the TK brand (they fail a lot), both on the board and on the graphics card, I put another PSU on it, and it came back to life and installed WIndows, and I installed another Sasmsung HDD that they gave me with only 67H. As soon as I have organized my server, I will install it to manage backup copies of my server, and I will let the old Hitachi reach 100,000 hours and continue adding hours until it dies.
It currently has 3 reallocated sectors.

Attachments

• image_2023-07-26_19-03-48.png
    image_2023-07-26_19-03-48.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-07-28_16-02-50.jpg
    photo_2023-07-28_16-02-50.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-07-28_21-14-27.jpg
    photo_2023-07-28_21-14-27.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-07-29_00-06-04.jpg