Post your GTX 980 TI Overclock Results

To expand on ASIC quality: the higher the percentage the less leakage the core will experience. Theoretically, the higher the ASIC the higher you can overclock the card without needing to add voltage. Maxwell kind of threw that out the window, though, as GM200 does not respond well to increases in voltage regardless of ASIC quality. According to K|NGP|N you're going to hit a wall unless you can keep the core temperature under 40C while loaded.

IIRC it was actually that lower ASIC OC better as long as you had water/LN2 but with maxwell you had to have higher ASIC to OC at any voltage and on top of that the wall came a lot sooner and required less voltage.

its the supposed quality of the die according to manufacture rating system.

All i can say is thank god for a 4k screen with all these full res photos -_-

BTW why would you buy 4GB RAM sticks -_-

i assume the idea was to use all 4 channels but seriously...you should have invested in 32GB of RAM :/ I run out of RAM with 16GB so freakin much.

LMAO I meant what is your ASIC quality on that card?

I figured out why my memory clocks were not sticking. I was setting them in while in 3d mode. In 2d mode the settings will stick.

Did you have to add any mV from PX to achieve that overclock if it's stable.

just to hit 1400 or 1450 (forget which) I had to add mv. I run 1.243v at pretty much any clock except stock I run at about 1.225 or something. I don't trust stock/marginal overclock without a smig of extra voltage.

Depending on the game I can be stable or stable for several hours from 1450-1570Mhz with 1.243v The 1450 is always stable but the 1500+ gets finky.

FYI stock is stock for the G1.

Damm, that much voltage doesn't your card get super hot?

thats not much voltage at all. With the actual fan on it tops 60-70C at 100-130% TDP.

If its allowed to be set via an easy software OV it can't be that bad. others have 1.25-1.3v

Gave my cards some consistent voltage and also pushed up the core clock. Now can run 1518/8200 at 4K.

just to hit 1400 or 1450 (forget which) I had to add mv. I run 1.243v at pretty much any clock except stock I run at about 1.225 or something. I don't trust stock/marginal overclock without a smig of extra voltage.

Depending on the game I can be stable or stable for several hours from 1450-1570Mhz with 1.243v The 1450 is always stable but the 1500+ gets finky.

FYI stock is stock for the G1.

Holy shit, I thought it was bad that I have to run 1.218v on my MSI 64 to run stable 1450 cause of my shit 63.7% ASIC. 1.243 is freaking insane

Holy shit, I thought it was bad that I have to run 1.218v on my MSI 64 to run stable 1450 cause of my shit 63.7% ASIC. 1.243 is freaking insane

thats not a very high voltage and i only run that for games that are unstable. Like PS2 at 4k needs like 125% power. That is painful for the GPU to do without good voltage. You realize the more power needed it either needs more amps or more volts. Its got to get that power somehow. 125% TDP is huge draws so 1.223-1.243 is not much. we are dealing with .5 ths of a volt. Many GPUs in the past would get .1-.2v added not for good clocks. I am adding .025v

compared to my old 7970m in my laptop, which was a 7870 desktop card. These voltages are hardly increased. I added like .1v on that card or more IIRC. I got a shit one of those too :/ I bought first batch of the 7970ms which had horrible OCs.

LN2 cooling a Kingp1n 980 Ti

nope.. just nope. with LN2 you can go at and above 2000mhz =D.

Which one of these hookers do I need to get to hit 1600 gaming?

I'm using a Classy 980TI with BIOS fully modded with power tables Tweaked and no turbo boost running at 1632mhz at 170% Power Target and 1.26V... 8000mhz memory

before this card I was using a 980TI SC+ ACX+ at 1606mhz with 150% Power target, 1.21V with turbo but with the base clock at 1502mhz.. 7800mhz memory

The elimination of turbo or modification of the base clock with a very high one, make the card think the base clock its the one you selected and will guarantee a minimum of that Base gpu clock. but it also require to select a very high base TDP which generally require 140%+ Power Target as stock. so you will be running a very hot card forcing you to run very aggressive fan profiles and pumping a ton of heat inside your case...

the modification of power tables are almost mandatory to reach those clocks as they are basically limited... I'm in the process of selling 2 of my 980TI and then buy a couple of Gigabytes G1 to see what I can do with those little monster.. =D.

I'm using a Classy 980TI with BIOS fully modded with power tables Tweaked and no turbo boost running at 1632mhz at 170% Power Target and 1.26V... 8000mhz memory

before this card I was using a 980TI SC+ ACX+ at 1606mhz with 150% Power target, 1.21V with turbo but with the base clock at 1502mhz.. 7800mhz memory

The elimination of turbo or modification of the base clock with a very high one, make the card think the base clock its the one you selected and will guarantee a minimum of that Base gpu clock. but it also require to select a very high base TDP which generally require 140%+ Power Target as stock. so you will be running a very hot card forcing you to run very aggressive fan profiles and pumping a ton of heat inside your case...

the modification of power tables are almost mandatory to reach those clocks as they are basically limited... I'm in the process of selling 2 of my 980TI and then buy a couple of Gigabytes G1 to see what I can do with those little monster.. =D.

whats the ASIC of that classy?

Second whats the ASIC of those cards your selling and how much :) PM me

Could you post ASIC and link to bios for classified?

I have an ASUS reference 980 ti and was able to achieve using the 425 bios:

Power limit: 121%
Core clock: 1501mhz
Memory Clock: 7800 mhz
vcore: 1.244

Stable running 1 hour of unique and 3dmark

Played hours of BF4 and Witcher 3 in the past week and was stable with no crash whatsoever.

Got my second card under G10. Overclock didn't change but temperatures went from 80C top/75 C bottom to 61 C top/55 C bottom.

Some shots of my second mount on the second classified (one with NZXT X31). I do not recommend NZXT X31 over H55. My H55 with single fan gets the card to 55 C tops whereas, NZXT gets the card to 61 C. Was a hassle to mount the radiator. Tried everything and settled for the sub par option of next to HDDs.

Got my second card under G10. Overclock didn't change but temperatures went from 80C top/75 C bottom to 61 C top/55 C bottom.

Some shots of my second mount on the second classified (one with NZXT X31). I do not recommend NZXT X31 over H55. My H55 with single fan gets the card to 55 C tops whereas, NZXT gets the card to 61 C. Was a hassle to mount the radiator. Tried everything and settled for the sub par option of next to HDDs.

The X31 is dragging hot air directly from the HDDs. Those HDDs can get pretty hot and since it's taking air directly from it, the AIO won't cool very well.

If you want the best temps for your cards, I would suggest you have both of them as intakes from the front of the case, and possibly try to move the HDDs to the 5.25 area ghetto-rigged. Man you have a lot of HDDs...

X31 is mounted up top. Anyways, this experiment seemed to have failed. I am getting 70 c temps in far cry with cards overclocked. Will test tomorrow since 1 am now.

Well, as I said earlier, I wasn't happy with temperatures so I remounted the NZXT card (card 1) and put it towards the outward drive bays with zip ties lol.

Also remounted the bracket and ensured contact was proper. Now the top card is running at 75 C only in Farcry 4. Every other game including Witcher 3, benchmarks etc are with top card at 65 and bottom card at 55. In Farcry 4 the card seems to get very hot possibly because of me running it at 4k with Max settings minus AA.

I am thinking this is due to the stupid Radiator that I bought. Problem is if I had gotten any corsair radiator the tubing wouldn't have reached like it does now. I will try the molex to 3 pin suggestion for radiator, might improve the flow.

The above shot is before some cable management. But damn, what a hassle.

Well, as I said earlier, I wasn't happy with temperatures so I remounted the NZXT card (card 1) and put it towards the outward drive bays with zip ties lol.

Also remounted the bracket and ensured contact was proper. Now the top card is running at 75 C only in Farcry 4. Every other game including Witcher 3, benchmarks etc are with top card at 65 and bottom card at 55. In Farcry 4 the card seems to get very hot possibly because of me running it at 4k with Max settings minus AA.

I am thinking this is due to the stupid Radiator that I bought. Problem is if I had gotten any corsair radiator the tubing wouldn't have reached like it does now. I will try the molex to 3 pin suggestion for radiator, might improve the flow.

The above shot is before some cable management. But damn, what a hassle.

Yeah, I don't know man, but that's a lot of hassle and work for minimal gains. Don't get me wrong, I am like you and like to tweak the system to get the best results...But at the end of the day, I also just want to relax and enjoy the PC. I have a custom loop for my CPU, but just use the EVGA 2.0 spec fans on my 980 Ti's. I figure with all the hassle of adding the video cards to my loop, I can just enjoy them on air and upgrade in a year...

Can you run Farcry 4 on your PC at 4K w/ max settings (minus AA) and report what temperatures you get in SLi with the latest drivers (.60 or something)?

The first card was no hassle at all. This second card just doesn't seem to be working as I want it to. I am blaming either airflow in my case or the nzxt x31 radiator. Even after putting it on molex, in Farcry 4 the card maxes out at 74 C. Every other game etc maxes out at 68 C with some running at 55-60 C (like Assassin's Creed Rogue).

I am just very surprised about lack of consistency in temperatures.

Can you run Farcry 4 on your PC at 4K w/ max settings (minus AA) and report what temperatures you get in SLi with the latest drivers (.60 or something)?

The first card was no hassle at all. This second card just doesn't seem to be working as I want it to. I am blaming either airflow in my case or the nzxt x31 radiator. Even after putting it on molex, in Farcry 4 the card maxes out at 74 C. Every other game etc maxes out at 68 C with some running at 55-60 C (like Assassin's Creed Rogue).

I am just very surprised about lack of consistency in temperatures.

Did you place a copper shim between the gpu and aio? I know the 700 series required it if you keep the gpu heat spreader plate on. Otherwise remove the plate and reinstall the cooler.

I'll have 425W-powerlimit BIOSes up sometime this week for ACX 2.0+, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte G1, and Zotac Amp (non-extreme) 980 Tis.

If someone has the stock ASUS Strix 980 Ti BIOS I can do that as well.

If someone can teach me how to disable boost I can throw that in too. :p

Is that BIOS for the Zotac Amp (non-extreme) ready? I have 2 Zotac Amp 980 TI on water, waiting to push them, but I haven't found a mod bios for them yet.

Maybe someone here can help me. I have been messing with custom BIOS myself with my Zotac 980 AMP! I am able to remove the TDP limits, but I haven't been able to get the card to go above 1.23v

Another thing that I have not been able to figure out is even though I have disable Boost and set it to 1455mhz, some reason in Precision X on Desktop it shows 12xxmhz and I still have to use Precision X to add MHz

So if anyone that CARES. I can upload the BIOS mod I made and an expert can take a look at it and tell me what I need to do solve those two issues

TIA

Is anyone aware of a good tutorial when it comes to Bios flashing on the 980ti?

I currently have two EVGA ACX2.0+ SC 980ti's I plan onj overclocking, but I really need to do some reading first.

I'm using them to drive my 4k screen, but I have been rather disappointed in SLI thus far.

Ideally, I'd like to OC my highest ASIC (82.8%) card sufficiently that I can sell off my second card. (~72% ASIC?)

My plan is to get a Corsair HG10 N980 when they launch and put a beefy AIO cooler on it.

Any link to a good 980ti OC w. custom bios guide would be greatly appreciated!

This is where I added feathers to my wings.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club

Note that the BIOS versions they use are from EVGA cards that are not silent at idle.
I copied over the fan settings from my cards BIOS (ACX 2.0+ SC+) and they work great, got fanless idle back.

You cannot exceed 1.223V unless you use the 1.25V BIOS.
Then you will have 1.25V all the time when under load, it doesnt vary.
You cannot change the voltage in afterburner.
It will idle at normal voltage.

1.25V will push your load temps to near 80C with 75% fan.
Not really advisable due to excess wear and noise.

For me the only BIOS I can make use of is the 425W max power limit.
This allowed me to increase from 1.99V max to 1.223V max by removing the power throttle.

This is where I added feathers to my wings.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club

Note that the BIOS versions they use are from EVGA cards that are not silent at idle.
I copied over the fan settings from my cards BIOS (ACX 2.0+ SC+) and they work great, got fanless idle back.

You cannot exceed 1.223V unless you use the 1.25V BIOS.
Then you will have 1.25V all the time when under load, it doesnt vary.
You cannot change the voltage in afterburner.
It will idle at normal voltage.

1.25V will push your load temps to near 80C with 75% fan.
Not really advisable due to excess wear and noise.

For me the only BIOS I can make use of is the 425W max power limit.
This allowed me to increase from 1.99V max to 1.223V max by removing the power throttle.

Thank you very much!

Ugh, seems like I will have to read through a forum thread of developing levels of understanding. Was hoping someone would have written an article summarizing it by now :p

I'm hoping the temperature won't be a problem, as I plan on adding an AIO cooler. If I only wind up with one of the GPU's it may even be an H110i GTX, which should be able to keep the temp down pretty well.

The title I play more than any other is RO2, and I am currently getting anywhere from 48% to 62% on both GPU's in SLI, with vsync set to 60hz.

If I can hit the just north of 1600Mhz clocks I've seen some of the top figures in here, I should be able to drop down to one GPU, and at 100% load I should be squeaking by.

I'm hoping with a combination of bios voltage mods, AIO cooler and my relatively high (82.8%) ASIC this should be doable.

np
With your ASIC you have a chance of getting around 1550MHz imo.
Its a rare card that gets near 1600MHz.
The metric is only valid if you use the same methods of verifying stability.
The harder you push the card, the faster you will wear it out so bear that in mind.

My card has a 69.7% ASIC and was stable at 1500MHz with the 1.25V high power BIOS but needed 75% fan.
Around 78C max.
I tested stability with Unigine Heaven, The Witcher 3 and Project Cars.
It is much quicker to get a crash if DSR is enabled, I recommend using that during gaming stability tests.
fyi

High voltage with high temps are not advisable. One or the other not both if you dont want to harm the GPU.
It has been stated by Kingpin and other clockers that sub ambient cooling is needed to make use of higher than 1.25V.
I believe this is partly because of the temperature throttling the card "also" uses.
Clockspeed and voltage lower automatically as the temp ramps up.
You can see it happening as your card heats up under load by monitoring it with Afterburner.

Back