Post your GTX 980 TI Overclock Results

So I've done some further testing on my 980 Ti Classified and it seems that I am able to play games with no crashes at all on 1514.8/8552. Playing Witcher 3 for 3 hours will yield temperatures as high as 77C. Heaven running for 7 hours will get me as high as 79C. These temps are with an aggressive fan curve past 60C. Using a modified bios to get 1291 base and 1455.5 boost with a 150% power limit. This is pretty much the best I can do for game stability.

MPgbuho.jpg

Are you using the LN2 Bios to get those speeds?

What is your ASIC score? I can do 1480/8000 playing Witcher 3 with temperatue of 68 C. Any higher and my card crashes. Benches fine at 1510/8200 though.

Which bios are you using? Link?

Gigabyte 980 Ti G1, 66.4 ASIC, stock volts showing as 1.199, +156/1497 boost (1485 after 62C), 130% power limit (didn't fiddle with it, just maxed it), +250/7516 memory. Didn't see any FPS gains in Valley going to +300 memory so I left it at +250. EDIT: strike that, went +350/7710 and saw a 1FPS gain (+400 I saw one memory artifact, so backed off).

Nice and quiet - even more quiet than my old 780 Ti Classified. Runs at 70C/60% fan speed when left alone in Valley (72F ambient), with a custom fan profile that kicks up after 65C and reaches 100% at 80C.

EDIT:
Fire Strike graphics score: 20282
Fire Strike Extreme graphics score: 9384
Fire Strike Ultra graphics score: 4895

Last edited:
You mean coil whine... :p.
Gigabytes have been clocking nicely. However, would be interesting to see noise and temperature readings. And please run overclocked benches of card vs. Fury X overclocked in A 2 A tests.

EVGA 980 TI SC modded bios stock voltage

33cbqq1.png

rock solid 4 hours witcher 3 no crash

Last edited:
2yxixaf.jpg

For some reason I cannot get the Memory Clock settings to stick. I have tried AfterBurner and PrecisionX.

For memory clocks not sticking, I've had that happen after a driver crash. It didn't allow me to adjust the memory up or down until I hard powered down the PC (not just soft reboot).

For memory clocks not sticking, I've had that happen after a driver crash. It didn't allow me to adjust the memory up or down until I hard powered down the PC (not just soft reboot).

You can use msi afterburners reset button to fix it.

I can run 1454/8000 on my g1 with volt and power at stock all day.

1500/8000 is for benchmarks (heaven/valley/3dmark) but seems to crash in BF4. Frankly, I don't care about the 50 on the core as I like having the 1454/8000 without adding more heat and volts into the card.

i have had that after a fresh reboot with no crash at all. It is just glitchy for me all together.

So after a long day's work. Finally, the Kraken is installed. Was a bitch to line up the shim and stupid corsair cooler and kraken all at once with screws that were hanging since could not use the fasteners provided by Kraken.

Either way, some shots.

Naked classified.

2FbRNz5.jpg

All done.

rCYjnsn.jpg

Busy computer internals.

oA3pj3G.jpg

Some benchmark results.

Am able to score 1506/8200 now on both cards, stock volts. Haven't tried higher. Top card full load temperatures are about 45-47 C depending on scene in benchmark. Bottom card is about 64-65 C during benchmarking.

KWFdPyS.jpg

Firestrike 26142
Extreme 16282
Ultra 8925

Ofcourse, next step is to break 9K in Firestrike Ultra. :D

Overall, even though it was a pain but worth the effort. Too bad not enough space for a second Kraken. Also I am running out of fan headers on the board.

Still need some cleanup but no time tonight.

One classified is 70.3% and second one is 72.9%.

Both overclock the same. I can do 1524/7600 or 1510/8000 or 1506/8200.

What is your ASIC for the Classified?
My EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0+ is a lousy 68.9.

I have the exact same card with the same ASIC.
Its not bad, I got it to 1500MHz with a modded bios to allow 121% power and 1.25V at 75% fan. (could have gone higher but my ears sample rate isnt low enough)
I settled on a removing the 1.25V part of the mod and changed the fan profiles to allow the power to turn off at idle and can now get up to 1.223 volts with 1476MHz with a bit of noise when needed.
Or 1.99V at 1453MHz very quiet.

Looking at the above post, its directly in line if ASIC is considered as ability to overclock.

Fantastic card, very happy with it.

Last edited:
I picked up the EVGA 980 Ti ACX 2.0+, Superclocked, with Back Plate. The card overclocks really well. I settled on +110 on the core, which in most games boosts to an even 1400MHz on the Core. I raised the memory just a bit as well (+100MHz in Precision X). I raised the Power to 110% and Temp to 91C (linked) to allow for maximum headroom. I've not seen the core go higher than 78C even after hours of gaming, and fan hovers around 1600RPM. The fan is audible at this level, but nothing I would call remotely close to loud. It's more of a pleasant low whoosh sound.

The card is quiet, has great lighting on the side (I am sucker for seeing the model name in lights!).

980ti.jpg

980tired.jpg

Here are my results.

Voltage: Stock
Core: +175 = 1529 Max Boost
Mem: +500 = 4001
Max Temp: 84C
Max Fan: 75%

I'm not too satisfied mainly because you can see that it is constantly hitting the power limit as well as voltage limit. What are your guys' thoughts?

0qrJoyC.jpg

kwBJ4R5.jpg

jv5fRHl.jpg

Your gonna need a modded bios to get rid of those limits.

Don't be too disappointed, looks like you got a good card there! What model ti is that?

Havent finished testing but my 76% ASIC Evga Hybrid is at 1285/1535, +500mem, +43mV stock BIOS. I can most likely go higher core/mem, or lower voltage, havent had much time on it and its my first time overclocking GPU.

Your gonna need a modded bios to get rid of those limits.

Don't be too disappointed, looks like you got a good card there! What model ti is that?

MSI Gaming G6. It looks incredible in the machine with my Maximus VI Hero mobo.

As for the modded bios, I know it will take care of the power limits, but I would still need to move the voltage slider to take care of the voltage limit. I know I can do it and I have nothing against doing it, just a bit disappointing that I couldn't have a higher limit on stock =P

yea reference are stuck to that crap 109%. You want at least 120 if not 130% TDP so modded BIOS is the way to go for reference. None reference like the G1 kinda removes the need for modded BIOS unless you want a fixed setting and not to redo it everytime you restart. I never restart so It doesn't bother me.

MSI Gaming G6. It looks incredible in the machine with my Maximus VI Hero mobo.

As for the modded bios, I know it will take care of the power limits, but I would still need to move the voltage slider to take care of the voltage limit. I know I can do it and I have nothing against doing it, just a bit disappointing that I couldn't have a higher limit on stock =P

You can also mod the bios to set what ever voltage you want. Mine for example keeps the voltage locked at 1.255v while in 3d apps. I'm sure you noticed that the voltage jumps around a bit with the stock bios, which hurts stability while overclocking.

Here are my results.

Voltage: Stock
Core: +175 = 1529 Max Boost
Mem: +500 = 4001
Max Temp: 84C
Max Fan: 75%

I'm not too satisfied mainly because you can see that it is constantly hitting the power limit as well as voltage limit. What are your guys' thoughts?

0qrJoyC.jpg

kwBJ4R5.jpg

jv5fRHl.jpg

What is ASIC quality?

What is ASIC quality?

its the supposed quality of the die according to manufacture rating system.

All i can say is thank god for a 4k screen with all these full res photos -_-

BTW why would you buy 4GB RAM sticks -_-

i assume the idea was to use all 4 channels but seriously...you should have invested in 32GB of RAM :/ I run out of RAM with 16GB so freakin much.

i assume the idea was to use all 4 channels but seriously...you should have invested in 32GB of RAM :/ I run out of RAM with 16GB so freakin much.

Dunno what he fuck you could be doing that would justify 32gigs if you fill up 16gigs. Sure as hell aint gaming

Dunno what he fuck you could be doing that would justify 32gigs if you fill up 16gigs. Sure as hell aint gaming

OS chills at 8GBs with browser open...add a few programs in background that i don't want to close every time i want to play a game and poof 12-16GB

Use a few heavy RAM programs and poof 20+GB. I haven't used a RAM disk since i have been limited to 16GB...4GB ramsisk is useless. 10-16GB RAMdisk can do something. A few games, programs, data files, and so on. I really want 64 but that'll be a while.

OS chills at 8GBs with browser open...add a few programs in background that i don't want to close every time i want to play a game and poof 12-16GB

Use a few heavy RAM programs and poof 20+GB. I haven't used a RAM disk since i have been limited to 16GB...4GB ramsisk is useless. 10-16GB RAMdisk can do something. A few games, programs, data files, and so on. I really want 64 but that'll be a while.

wtheck... close some programs? It's not like it takes that long to load if you have them on a SSD. Then again, RAM is cheap right now... so whatever floats your boat.

I've only reached 12-16gb video editing while playing a demanding game and browsing on Chrome. I don't think I can go much higher than 16gb because even my 4790k would be bottlenecking and very slow.

Chrome sucks and you can't close multiple windows and easily recover them. There is always a high chance with chrome that it will forget all windows except the last one closed. Opera which i am not using currently because i need a better set up for it supports this feat called sessions. The single best feature since tabs. Plus i pop into a game several times a day. I am not closing 8 windows of chrome/word/PDF/whatever else every time i start a game to free up RAM. That is plainly asinine.

You will see that programs and OS will reserve more RAM even if it doesn't need it as you add RAM, which gets annoying because it butchers RAMdisks ability to use RAM

You will have 16 GB total RAM with 10GB used. You add 16GB more for a total of 32GB and your usage will magically be 16GB -_- So now instead of having ~20 GB of free RAM you are now at ~ 14 GB free :mad:

Last edited:
Chrome sucks and you can't close multiple windows and easily recover them. There is always a high chance with chrome that it will forget all windows except the last one closed. Opera which i am not using currently because i need a better set up for it supports this feat called sessions. The single best feature since tabs. Plus i pop into a game several times a day. I am not closing 8 windows of chrome/word/PDF/whatever else every time i start a game to free up RAM. That is plainly asinine.

You will see that programs and OS will reserve more RAM even if it doesn't need it as you add RAM, which gets annoying because it butchers RAMdisks ability to use RAM

You will have 16 GB total RAM with 10GB used. You add 16GB more for a total of 32GB and your usage will magically be 16GB -_- So now instead of having ~20 GB of free RAM you are now at ~ 14 GB free :mad:

Weird? Dunno what else to say. I setup my ram disks when the OS first loads. I don't have any of these problems. When the games I'm playing are <20GB then I'll install them on a ram drive and image the drive. I can then dynamically switch between installed games by doing a raw copy of the image.

I usually have a 2GB temp drive and a 20GB application drive. The problem I'm finding is that the new games coming out are all 50GB+ (BF4, GTAV, Witcher 3 (40GB)) so even if I had 64GB of RAM I'd be hard pressed to install these on a ram drive. Most of the time I just unmount the 20GB RAM drive.

Edit: My Gigabyte G1 GTX 980ti overclocks to 1416MHz with +200 on the memory. I haven't tried pushing the memory yet. It seemed stable up at 1475MHz but would blue screen between BF4 rounds after an hour or so.

Weird? Dunno what else to say. I setup my ram disks when the OS first loads. I don't have any of these problems. When the games I'm playing are <20GB then I'll install them on a ram drive and image the drive. I can then dynamically switch between installed games by doing a raw copy of the image.

I usually have a 2GB temp drive and a 20GB application drive. The problem I'm finding is that the new games coming out are all 50GB+ (BF4, GTAV, Witcher 3 (40GB)) so even if I had 64GB of RAM I'd be hard pressed to install these on a ram drive. Most of the time I just unmount the 20GB RAM drive.

Edit: My Gigabyte G1 GTX 980ti overclocks to 1416MHz with +200 on the memory. I haven't tried pushing the memory yet. It seemed stable up at 1475MHz but would blue screen between BF4 rounds after an hour or so.

no my point was programs will always reserve more then needed, If you have a system with 16GB of ram and upgrade to 32GB you will instantly see your default usage go from say 8 GB to 12 GB because windows and all the other programs will reserve some of the new added space. If you make a drive the max size you run into all the annoy low RAM messages. I guarantee you if you remove half your RAM your idle will be less but add that ram back in and the idle ram usage will be back up to a higher level. It is just how they reserve RAM

what voltage are you using? Add some voltage and you'll be good

I couldn't get paste that either until i added voltage -_- crap ASIC

What is ASIC quality?

its the supposed quality of the die according to manufacture rating system.

All i can say is thank god for a 4k screen with all these full res photos -_-

BTW why would you buy 4GB RAM sticks -_-

To expand on ASIC quality: the higher the percentage the less leakage the core will experience. Theoretically, the higher the ASIC the higher you can overclock the card without needing to add voltage. Maxwell kind of threw that out the window, though, as GM200 does not respond well to increases in voltage regardless of ASIC quality. According to K|NGP|N you're going to hit a wall unless you can keep the core temperature under 40C while loaded.

Back