Post your GTX 980 TI Overclock Results

Gigabyte G1 gaming

Nice and safe OC, not sure how I want to proceed from here so sitting on these settings.
Is it really worth it to push ram higher?
When do you typically touch voltage?

115% power limit
7274 mem
1468 clock
73/74 degrees max temp

Revised to
1508 core (+142)
8002 mem (+500)
75 degrees
87 mv
110 power boost

Stable in heaven. Testing now.
Getting the hang of it.

- edit -

Firestrike Extreme is definitely much more rigorous a benchmark...
down to :
1504 - 1522 core (+137)
7866 mem (+418)
+87 mV
+130% Power limit (it rarely goes above 113%)
Temps are around 73 - 75c

Last edited:
Did a little more tweaking on my EVGA reference cards

+275 core ( reported boost 1475 )
+0 mem ( actually getting lower scores upping memory, guess I am at voltage limit? )
stock voltage
110 power
Firestrike Ultra is now 8159 combined, 8659 graphics

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7671918

See signature. Sometimes throttles to 1439 on the core. For Witcher 3 I run the card at 1420 since otherwise it is too noisy for my liking. Card is throttling but not sure what is causing it.

What is best way to check since it is not due to temperature. With custom fan curve temperatures are 75c full load.

See signature. Sometimes throttles to 1439 on the core. For Witcher 3 I run the card at 1420 since otherwise it is too noisy for my liking. Card is throttling but not sure what is causing it.

What is best way to check since it is not due to temperature. With custom fan curve temperatures are 75c full load.

That's low. Are you upping the voltage? Try keeping voltage at 0. These cards are capable of 1450 on stock voltage. Try to maximize your OC without additional voltage. With a custom fan profile, I'm able to keep it under 70 degrees now on Witcher 3.

I am not giving it any voltage. It is a bad overclocker.
Can you post a picture of your fan curve?

I am not giving it any voltage. It is a bad overclocker.
Can you post a picture of your fan curve?

I'm not home right now. It's a pretty aggressive fan curve though. Basically, from 50 to 70, it's a straight diagonal line to 100%. :D The fan is only loud when I'm gaming, but then again, I play with my sound on, so it drowns out the noise. I will probably adjust it closer to 80% instead of 100% since it never hits 70 for 100% fan. I also have two 200mm case fans that pushes air from the front and exhausting it at top, FWIW.

I get 1480 game stable sli both hybrid cooler installed. been playing witcher 3 and gta V for hours and both games are finicky about overclocks. The only thing is debating if i should do a voltage mod to get more out of both cards to try and hit 1500+ stable. Not sure if it is worth the trouble. Not sure how much more it will give me in terms of fps.

I get 1480 game stable sli both hybrid cooler installed. been playing witcher 3 and gta V for hours and both games are finicky about overclocks. The only thing is debating if i should do a voltage mod to get more out of both cards to try and hit 1500+ stable. Not sure if it is worth the trouble. Not sure how much more it will give me.
It will give you 20 epeen points.

I get 1480 game stable sli both hybrid cooler installed. been playing witcher 3 and gta V for hours and both games are finicky about overclocks. The only thing is debating if i should do a voltage mod to get more out of both cards to try and hit 1500+ stable. Not sure if it is worth the trouble. Not sure how much more it will give me in terms of fps.

What are your frame rate in Witcher 3 with SLI?

Also what's your resolution?

I want to try and get 100 fps and see how it feels.

What are your frame rate in Witcher 3 with SLI?

Also what's your resolution?

I want to try and get 100 fps and see how it feels.

FPS average is around 65. can dip to 54 and go up to 70's. I'm running 3440X1440. I have shadow down to high. Hairworks on but adjusted down the AA. Also running sweetfx with SMAA on. Everything else is ultra/HBAO+. sharpening is off though because of sweetfx. Running it on adaptive vsync so i don't get tearing but even with adaptive off i rarely see it. I don't know if changing bios and increasing voltage would be worth 1-2 fps. if it gives me more fps i might risk it. I just like how much quieter it is since no fan is running much faster than 1200 rpm. i don't notice the computer noise with speakers on. It isn't exactly a silent system because air 540 has a lot of fans and PSU also is beefy but quiet enough that game noise will drown out the computer.

Last edited:
Let's say a certain OC, while stable in synthetics (Firestrike, Kombustor) is proving not stable in games (Witcher 3). What's best to start dropping, core clock, mem clock, or both equally?

My classified boosts to 1380-1406 with default settings and runs very quiet.
I can overclock it to 1480/7200 only. However, I have to create a custom fan curve to avoid 80c+ temperatures.

I of course took the silent operation over the overclocked one and am generally happy with it.

Let's say a certain OC, while stable in synthetics (Firestrike, Kombustor) is proving not stable in games (Witcher 3). What's best to start dropping, core clock, mem clock, or both equally?

Drop both a bit, and increase memory until the point of stability and repeat for the core supplementing voltage as needed.

Currently my EVGA SC+ is at 155 core (boosts about 1430-1450), 275 mem with a smidge of voltage and Witcher 3 was stable for about 1.5 hours before getting a driver crash. Previous to that I was at 165 core, 500 clock and it was crashing every 30 minutes or so.

This go around I'll bump down to 150 core, 250 clock and see how long that gets me.

Last edited:
I am getting a crash at the desktop only, the drivers crash and it will remain throttled at 585mhz no matter what I play.

Got this with my eVGA 980 Ti Hybrid

mwHCvFs.jpg

I think this is the very highest I can do in Valley with throttling between 1554 and 1541 and only a couple dips below 1541.

Last edited:
I am getting a crash at the desktop only, the drivers crash and it will remain throttled at 585mhz no matter what I play.

Run MSI afterburner.
After a crash you can press the reset button to restore standard clocks (for the vanilla card).
You can then set your own clocks/voltage/fan.
Experiment to find stable settings.

Anti-Hero how much volts did you add for your oc? Anyone else have experience with Evga 980ti SC and overclocking if? I got my 980ti SC up to +110 on core with only adjusting the power limited no extra voltage, I also havnt changed memory clocks.

Anti-Hero how much volts did you add for your oc? Anyone else have experience with Evga 980ti SC and overclocking if? I got my 980ti SC up to +110 on core with only adjusting the power limited no extra voltage, I also havnt changed memory clocks.

The 980 ti's for the most part should all be able to hit +200-250 on the core without to much trouble....But of course everything is relevant and you are subject to the GPU lottery...1500 on the core seems to be the magic number everyone wants for the E-Peen status....

My EVGA cards in Sli, I keep around +225-250 on the core which boosts the cards to around 1425-1450. I have the reference PCB with the ACX cooler. Other then for benchmarks, I would advise to get a stable overclock, at say 200 on the core and just leave it there. Don't touch the memory or the voltage unless you just want to benchmark test and have fun with your card. Keep it simple at 200, and that would be perfect for games and a good base for overall performance/heat/stability

Flashed BIOS to OCN 1.281V version(1.275v after vdroop), boost removed, power limit increased to 425W

1517 Core
7776 Mem

Games and benchmark stable.

Max temp, 60C

EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid, ASIC 65.6%

I still can't run Sleeping Dogs maxed out at 1440p at a decent rate, sometimes it goes below 34 FPS, sad. Ran fine with mem at 8150, GTA V however needed it much lower.

Last edited:

I added 24 mV in afterburner. So far that OC has been stable with one caveat - I did have one client crash in 90 minutes of Battlefield 4; since the driver didn't reset I won't count that against the OC (BF4 can crash for all sorts of random reasons). Witcher 3 was stable for the full 2 hour session. If I get any sort of driver crash/recovery message or hardlock I bump the OC down.

I do wonder if OCing the memory has any benefit outside of synthetic benchmarks. My previous reference 980 I could never get a stable OC if I applied any offset to the memory - core wise I was able to get it to 1450ish boost and not have a problem. I wonder if my 980Ti could boost higher if I left memory at stock.

I got my EVGA 980ti SC+ ACX2.0+ this morning, have done some basic overclocking.
Asic 68.9%
So far I can go +150 on the core, +560 on the memory, 110% power limit (max), no voltage or fan tweaks.
In real money Afterburner shows 1441MHz core, 4064MHz memory.
I had up to +640 on the ram working but extended Unigine Heaven tests cause red blotchy squares and a system hang eventually. +560MHz can run indefinitely atm.
(oh yes, its pretty quiet at those speeds, cant remember the fan %)

I checked what stops the GPU from going higher and its maxing out the Power use at 109%, triggering the Power Limit.
Higher voltage and higher fan doesnt seem to help, but I havent investigated this enough yet.
I get the impression I will need the 121% Power Limit Bios mod to go further as this increases max power use from 350W to 425W.

For those wanting to know about noise, its pretty damn quiet until after 53% fan speed.
You can just start to hear it at 55%.
Reports I read that 70% isnt loud are right -ish. You can certainly hear it, but its nothing like the original 290x coolers.
If you like a quiet PC, you wont be running the fan that fast.

At idle the fan stops unless you set up a custom fan profile.
With room temp of around 21C, mine is idling at 33C with no fan and no case fan blowing on the card either.

Striker444...
I see that you have blown the 1.28V BIOS on your card.
Its not advisable to use such a high voltage unless you have very good cooling like water or better.
You will rapidly age the card which will cause it to give more heat, reducing your overclocking potential or harming the card.
That Bios comes with a warning specifically for this reason.

edit
I see you have a max temp of 60C so you must be on water :)
Missed that bit.

Last edited:
The 980 ti's for the most part should all be able to hit +200-250 on the core without to much trouble....But of course everything is relevant and you are subject to the GPU lottery...1500 on the core seems to be the magic number everyone wants for the E-Peen status....

My EVGA cards in Sli, I keep around +225-250 on the core which boosts the cards to around 1425-1450. I have the reference PCB with the ACX cooler. Other then for benchmarks, I would advise to get a stable overclock, at say 200 on the core and just leave it there. Don't touch the memory or the voltage unless you just want to benchmark test and have fun with your card. Keep it simple at 200, and that would be perfect for games and a good base for overall performance/heat/stability

I think he is reporting the Boost difference from the SC overclock.
As you must know, the normal SC cards are all 10% overclocked (+102) already.
So he is now pushing +210 in reality.

I see you have a max temp of 60C so you must be on water :)
Missed that bit.

Yeah it came with an AIO installed by the manufacture (VRM's and board are aircooled though with a plate and the reference fan), pretty easy plug n play card. I would be interested in knowing what people with full blocks get, 60C seems fine to me, I would imagine with a true watercool setup it would be closer to 50C.

I think he is reporting the Boost difference from the SC overclock.
As you must know, the normal SC cards are all 10% overclocked (+102) already.
So he is now pushing +210 in reality.

^^ Exactly the reason stating +whatever is irrelevant. Thank you for pointing this out to them.

Last edited:
Yeah soz, I should really have replied to him :)

So Bion1985, that was for you!

Yeah it came with an AIO installed by the manufacture (VRM's and board are aircooled though with a plate and the reference fan), pretty easy plug n play card. I would be interested in knowing what people with full blocks get, 60C seems fine to me, I would imagine with a true watercool setup it would be closer to 50C.
Nice overclock btw !!!

I'm really itching to try the 121% bios now

Ok so I seem to be somewhat in the ballpark of the average core overclock. I got my core up to +140 (1431 on boost) no memory oc power limited 110% and a custom fan curve. If i try to push it 10-15 more on the core it crashes in Firestrike so think that +140 is about the limit. I noticed while running 3Dmark Firestrike prior to the fan curve temps started getting on the warm side and if it let my card get in the 70-75c range it throttled the boost down and I lost a lot of clock speed. Fan curve fixed that problem runs 66-68c in Firestrike and around 59c in games. Still fairly quiet, but fan profile just needed a boost.

My SC+ runs hot as shit. I have a custom fan curve that gets me to 80% speed when >70C and it routinely runs in the 70-73C mark. My office seems to be getting to the 70F+ ambient range so I'm sure that's why.

I'm going to experiment with backing off the voltage on my OC - I generally don't like doing that unless I need to, and unfortunately I haven't been doing a really "scientific"/procedural overlock that I should be doing.

It seemed to me that overvolting the return was mainly just higher temps, didn't really give me more overclock room. All I needed to get my clock was increased power limit and a decent fan curve to keep boost from throttling.

70C is fine.
The fan starts working at about 60C and tries to keep the card below 80C.
If you dont mind a bit of wind noise, up the fan speed :)

Bion1985
I dont think Firestrike is a good stability test.

I use Unigine Heaven as all games seem to be stable once this is for 1/2hr.
There are more extreme programs but heat kills so only use them if you cant get stable.
Alternatively back off the overclock by 10MHz. :)

Over volting isnt really much use unless you can increase the power limit more because the card will throttle once it reaches its power limit.
And Power is proportional to voltage squared so a change can actually lower your overclock!
I am going to try a modded bios with 121% power limit.

Last edited:
I was using the Firestrike in starting phase of clocking cause I knew if it crashed on that it needed work. Just as a quick simple test to get me started. I'm going to stress more now that I know I'm at least in or around a stable clock where it stands at the moment. Also should add that I played GTA online today for over 2hrs and had no graphical issues or crashes. Card boosted as it should to 1431 core clock and stayed under 60c.

Sweet :)

I'm sat here about to type in the command line to flash the bios.
A bit scared tbh in case I somehow have an invalid bios cos the flash util you have to use has all checks removed.
Heh.
(I made a backup of the original so should be able to recover)

I'll have 425W-powerlimit BIOSes up sometime this week for ACX 2.0+, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte G1, and Zotac Amp (non-extreme) 980 Tis.

If someone has the stock ASUS Strix 980 Ti BIOS I can do that as well.

If someone can teach me how to disable boost I can throw that in too. :p

I need some assistance from you Striker444 please.

The BIOS file sizes are very different.
My original is 206,336 bytes.
The modded one is 229,888.

I realise the card must have a 256K eprom so the modded bios will fit.
Just being cautious...
What is the size of the BIOS you blew to your card?

friend'scatdied
If I find the default settings on the bios I'm going to use are too low, I may grab your acx2.0+ version.

OK, I'm up and running with the 121% power limit bios but...

The previous maximum voltage it would hit was 1.199V.
Now it is 1.223V which doesnt help, it will not overclock any higher.
When maximum voltage (+87mV) is selected, it doesnt go higher than 1.223V and Afterburner shows voltage limit is being hit again.
At least power limit is now at 80% max.

Bum.

Last edited:
So quick question if my +140 clock giving me boost of 1431 is stable 100% gaming benchmarks ect is that about as far as I can go without doing special bios flashing or other fancy stuff?

So quick question if my +140 clock giving me boost of 1431 is stable 100% gaming benchmarks ect is that about as far as I can go without doing special bios flashing or other fancy stuff?
If going faster causes crashes then it depends what is limiting you.

Add voltage limit, power % and power limit to your afterburner graphs and see what happens to them.

Back