Post your GTX 980 TI Overclock Results

Here's where I'm at, currently. This is on an MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G with water cooling (NZXT G10 + Corsair H75)...

• Power Target: 110%
  • GPU Temp Target: 85C
  • GPU Clock Offset: +21MHz
  • Mem Clock Offset: +750MHz
  • Voltage: +0mV
  • ASIC: 83.3%
  • GPU Boost Clock: ~1400MHz
  • Memory Clock: ~8500MHz
  • Idle Temp: 28c
  • Load Temp: 62c

That memory OC is pretty much final, but the core OC is still a work in progress. I can pull 1500+ MHz core, but I run into throttling due to hitting the card's power limit :(
I guess I need to start looking into modified BIOS, eh?

Edit: just skimmed the thread, and it looks like I have the highest memory OC out of anyone here? Cool! :D

Last edited:
You should definately increase the power limit and volts. No point using that cooling only for silence when it can perform like a beast.

You should definately increase the power limit and volts. No point using that cooling only for silence when it can perform like a beast.
Is there a modified BIOS of-choice for the GTX 980 Ti? or a BIOS-mod guide like there was for Kepler?

Also, since the MSI Gaming 6G is non-reference, I'm guessing I need a BIOS specifically for this card... having trouble finding anything like that.

Here's where I'm at, currently. This is on an MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G with water cooling (NZXT G10 + Corsair H75)...

• Power Target: 110%
  • GPU Temp Target: 85C
  • GPU Clock Offset: +21MHz
  • Mem Clock Offset: +750MHz
  • Voltage: +0mV
  • ASIC: 83.3%
  • GPU Boost Clock: ~1400MHz
  • Memory Clock: ~8500MHz
  • Idle Temp: 28c
  • Load Temp: 62c

That memory OC is pretty much final, but the core OC is still a work in progress. I can pull 1500+ MHz core, but I run into throttling due to hitting the card's power limit :(
I guess I need to start looking into modified BIOS, eh?

Edit: just skimmed the thread, and it looks like I have the highest memory OC out of anyone here? Cool! :D

Hey, I was thinking of doing the same cooling as you, did you add any heat sinks to the plate that cools vram?

Hey, I was thinking of doing the same cooling as you, did you add any heat sinks to the plate that cools vram?
Nah, the the MSI frontplate / VRM heatsinks are pretty beefy. Didn't feel the need for any additional cooling.

Having a frontplate AND a backplate also makes the card super-rigid. I was about to put some serious torque on the NZXT bracket.

Just got my EVGA 980ti today.

Won the silicon lottery. Pushing 1550 core 3800 memory on stock voltage in Valley. Going to play some BF4 and Witcher 3 later.

kr2b.png

Jesus 83 and 81% on the last page hahah.
In typical Mav fashion, I'll probably get a sub 70% :p

Just got my EVGA 980ti today.

Won the silicon lottery. Pushing 1550 core 3800 memory on stock voltage in Valley. Going to play some BF4 and Witcher 3 later.

kr2b.png

How are you getting 1550 core with a 1177 base clock on stock bios? That is impossible, at 1180 base clock I get ~1380mhz boost clock on stock bios... Are you sure you are not looking at the clocks in valley? they are wrong.... correct clocks are in gpu z.

Last edited:
How are you getting 1550 core with a 1177 base clock on stock bios? That is impossible, at 1180 base clock I get ~1380mhz boost clock on stock bios... Are you sure you are not looking at the clocks in valley? they are wrong.... correct clocks are in gpu z.

I am stable at less than 1.2 voltage. So far. 1550 seems to be a good stopping point as 3dmark and valley don't really scale well beyond that point.

And no it's not impossible.

I am stable at less than 1.2 voltage. So far. 1550 seems to be a good stopping point as 3dmark and valley don't really scale well beyond that point.

I have never see a card boost nearly 400 mhz over what the base is set to. That is nearly 300 mhz over what the adjusted rated boost is after overclocking which is not the least bit logical. Where are you verifying the 1550 clocks?

I have never see a card boost nearly 400 mhz over what the base is set to. That is nearly 300 mhz over what the adjusted rated boost is after overclocking which is not the least bit logical. Where are you verifying the 1550 clocks?

My card boosts to 1405 out of the box. Umm do you not visit OC.net? There are tons of people that have 1550+ stable.

I'm not sure what else to tell you really.

My card boosts to 1405 out of the box. Umm do you not visit OC.net. There are tons of people that have 1550+ stable.

I'm not sure what else to tell you really.
Why dont you please pay attention to what it is that is being said and actually answer the simple question that I asked you.

From what you show in gpu-z for your oced boost, you still would have to be going nearly 300 mhz over that to get 1550 which NO CARD DOES. And AGAIN what are you using to verify these clocks?

Just got my EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified today. Here are some benchmark results:

eiMHSJ4.jpg

I loaded up heaven in the background to show load clocks. These clocks are benchmark stable, I haven't tested regular gaming yet. Surprised the memory OC'd so high. Temps reach about 77C max with fan at 100%. Can't wait to see what I can do with a properly modded bios.

8700 mhz on the memory? Jeez I have never seen memory go anywhere near that. :eek:

And I dont think some of you realize that when you actually start playing demanding games at settings that fully push your gpu, these mid 1500 mhz clocks are not going to hold and you will throttle. My gpu can do almost 1550 but there is not a single demanding game at 4k or even 1440 where I can stay above 1500 if uncapped. In fact some games will throttle below 1450 at times.

I loaded up heaven in the background to show load clocks. These clocks are benchmark stable, I haven't tested regular gaming yet. Surprised the memory OC'd so high. Temps reach about 77C max with fan at 100%. Can't wait to see what I can do with a properly modded bios.

Hmm that's odd my classy only goes up to 62c max on 1500 with 26c/80f ambient temperature. Maybe the factory workers put too much paste on your card?

eiMHSJ4.jpg

Nice results. I got my Classified a couple days ago. I hope to do some testing this weekend. So far very glad I got the Classified over the Strix.

Hmm that's odd my classy only goes up to 62c max on 1500 with 26c/80f ambient temperature. Maybe the factory workers put too much paste on your card?

Never mind, it seems that my fan curve is set to around 85% in that temp range. But it does still hover around 76-77C a few minutes into Heaven at 1440p.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SuperClocked+ ACX 2.0+ with BP

Really my first top-of-the-line card, not great for OC'ing, but overall happy to have it. ASIC is weak, but oh well. FireStrike Extreme Score.

are those classifieds that you paid for higher ASIC?
Nope. I just got lucky on an MSI GTX 980 Ti.

http://i.imgur.com/eiMHSJ4.jpg

Damn, I thought my 8500 Mhz memclock was nuts. I didn't think 8700 MHz was possible. :eek:

Question is, are we running into the limits of the memory chips, or the memory controller on the GPU? I've seen a few reports of people getting significantly better memory OC's by backing-off their core clock a little bit, so the memory controller is obviously somewhat sensitive.

Damn, I thought my 8500 Mhz memclock was nuts. I didn't think 8700 MHz was possible. :eek:

Question is, are we running into the limits of the memory chips, or the memory controller on the GPU? I've seen a few reports of people getting significantly better memory OC's by backing-off their core clock a little bit, so the memory controller is obviously somewhat sensitive.

Is that with independent cooling on the memory and GPU or using the same cooler?

Is that with independent cooling on the memory and GPU or using the same cooler?
Edit: Oh, you were asking weather or not the people getting better memory OC's by backing off their core clocks are running independent cooling... That I don't know.

It's not all that surprising, though. More core clock = more strain on the memory controller = a potentially lower maximum memory OC.

Last edited:
Ok.

I have looked inside my 980ti BIOS but dont recall any way of changing memory voltage which may help.
Do you know if this is possible?

can't apply too much paste and cause higher temps. It is impossible. It will only squeeze out the side. He may have too little paste. Also his ambient temp or voltages could be different. His case might be different so nothing surprising. My G1 really cold at 100% fan with 1.243v. I just have 64 degree ambient and a large case.

8700 mhz on the memory? Jeez I have never seen memory go anywhere near that. :eek:

And I dont think some of you realize that when you actually start playing demanding games at settings that fully push your gpu, these mid 1500 mhz clocks are not going to hold and you will throttle. My gpu can do almost 1550 but there is not a single demanding game at 4k or even 1440 where I can stay above 1500 if uncapped. In fact some games will throttle below 1450 at times.

again your running into a power issue. Others don't have this. Either a junk PSU like i had but replaced it with a good one or your power limits are really low. They might be set to 110%. Planetside 2 makes me hit 132% power at worst still no throttle. My power is 130% but it won't throttle with instant peaks like explosions. getting 130-132% is very rare...lots of booms in my screen. I still wish i had a classified because I would throw open the gate to 150% TDP and call it a day and add a smigg more voltage but oh well.

What card do you own exactly?

Any card will not boost to 1550, with a stock bios and a base clock of 1179mhz, literally without flashing the bios that is impossible. At that clock speed it will boost to about 1360-1400 depending on other things, power limit, temps etc. Either you have a card that does something no other 980ti does with a stock bios, or you are looking at the clock speeds in valley etc. which are wrong. Or you are just making stuff up...

Compared with my previous Gigabyte G1 980 Ti, the EVGA Classified does run a few degrees hotter. I had that one on with a modded bios which boosted to 1481 which I overclocked to about 1495. After a few minutes in heaven, the G1 temps would reach about 73. This was around 75% fan usage. The Windforce cooler is much better than the ACX 2.0. All of this was in an ambient temp of 72F, in a Antec 1100 case. It could be my case just not having much airflow, really wish I had gotten the Air 540.

Compared with my previous Gigabyte G1 980 Ti, the EVGA Classified does run a few degrees hotter. I had that one on with a modded bios which boosted to 1481 which I overclocked to about 1495. After a few minutes in heaven, the G1 temps would reach about 73. This was around 75% fan usage. The Windforce cooler is much better than the ACX 2.0. All of this was in an ambient temp of 72F, in a Antec 1100 case. It could be my case just not having much airflow, really wish I had gotten the Air 540.

get the core x9 case :) I am fairly happy with it with some modifications. I will be posting picture in the near future so subscribe to the thread below.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1869174

I have the acx cooler... It was running about 76c, I added a side fan, so that's 4 intakes, it knocked approx 5c of the temps and it is now about 71c at 41% fan speed, make sure you have lots of air getting to the card.

Last edited:
can't apply too much paste and cause higher temps. It is impossible. It will only squeeze out the side. He may have too little paste. Also his ambient temp or voltages could be different. His case might be different so nothing surprising. My G1 really cold at 100% fan with 1.243v. I just have 64 degree ambient and a large case.

again your running into a power issue. Others don't have this. Either a junk PSU like i had but replaced it with a good one or your power limits are really low. They might be set to 110%. Planetside 2 makes me hit 132% power at worst still no throttle. My power is 130% but it won't throttle with instant peaks like explosions. getting 130-132% is very rare...lots of booms in my screen. I still wish i had a classified because I would throw open the gate to 150% TDP and call it a day and add a smigg more voltage but oh well.
Others dont have this? Um look at EVERY single review and not a single one of them report a stable OC anywhere near 1550. Most cant even claim anything above 1450 without some throttling.

Yeah, I want to see a report of 1500+ clock speed where the temperature isn't 48 degrees C (it's obvious that the bench was just started). I've had mine benched at a higher clock speed for 30 minutes before a crash. If I run the benchmark once and quit, then it's very easy to conclude that the clock speed was stable when it isn't.

Now if it's water cooled, then I believe it.

Others dont have this? Um look at EVERY single review and not a single one of them report a stable OC anywhere near 1550. Most cant even claim anything above 1450 without some throttling.

with my crap ASIC i get 1500 stable in everything. I mostly stable in PS2 at 1520/1550. I am stable in every game at 1550 minus PS2 that I have tried. 1570 just doesn't work. It tends to crash fairly quick like 30-60 mins of gaming. Maybe it would be if i had a little more voltage it would. If i had those classified cards i bet i could get PS2 stable at 1570-1600 but i would use a whopping 140% TDP i bet

Go google kingpin. Any decent ASIC card with 70% or higher can reach 1550-1600.

If you are throttling than it is purely an issue with low TDP limits or voltage. Please stop trolling man. I can get 130% power and my clocks of 1550 don't change for a single instant. If i had more time I would record PS2 for you just to get you to shut up.

I hit 132% for a single instant and no throttle. Most people probably are dump and have 110% power. -_-

with my crap ASIC i get 1500 stable in everything. I mostly stable in PS2 at 1520/1550. I am stable in every game at 1550 minus PS2 that I have tried. 1570 just doesn't work. It tends to crash fairly quick like 30-60 mins of gaming. Maybe it would be if i had a little more voltage it would. If i had those classified cards i bet i could get PS2 stable at 1570-1600 but i would use a whopping 140% TDP i bet

Go google kingpin. Any decent ASIC card with 70% or higher can reach 1550-1600.

If you are throttling than it is purely an issue with low TDP limits or voltage. Please stop trolling man. I can get 130% power and my clocks of 1550 don't change for a single instant. If i had more time I would record PS2 for you just to get you to shut up.

I hit 132% for a single instant and no throttle. Most people probably are dump and have 110% power. -_-
You can claim whatever you want to but AGAIN not a single review can maintain anywhere near 1550 in demanding games at 4k or even 1440. Most reviews cant even get too much over 1500 for a max peak boost. And kingpin said 1550 is about the best any GM200 on air can do so enough with the BS claims of 1550-1600 being a common stable clock.:rolleyes:

Unsubscribing so go ahead and knock yourself out with a useless reply.

Well I am bench stable at 1550 but not in game. Witcher 3 crashed about 20 mins in.

Going to settle on 1500 core @ 1.23 volts. Still haven't really messed with the memory clocks yet.

You can claim whatever you want to but AGAIN not a single review can maintain anywhere near 1550 in demanding games at 4k or even 1440. Most reviews cant even get too much over 1500 for a max peak boost. And kingpin said 1550 is about the best any GM200 on air can do so enough with the BS claims of 1550-1600 being a common stable clock.:rolleyes:

Unsubscribing so go ahead and knock yourself out with a useless reply.

***err quoted wrong person sorry naticus***

almost all reviews are reference cards with 110% TDP not 130% good god listen man

Dude you didn't even read kingpins statement...holy crap.

So highest asic cards like 80% +are almost always going to be the ones that can 1600+ on air/water, and again they do it pretty much WITHOUT overvolting over 1.23v-1.25v. Maxwell gpus with lower asic value like 65% will not be so great at air/water because these low asic gpus need voltage to scale compared to match the overclock of the high asic gpus( USING SAME USABLE VOLTAGE 1.23-1.25v)

Now stop trolling.

EDIT: just because i hate willfully ignorant people I am rebooting and redoing my clocks. Man i hate wasting my time like this but it needs to be done.

EDIT: well I spent the last 10 mins shooting tank rounds at the floor in planetside 2* and was able to notice it actually throttle. It doesn't actually show in line graph because its only dropping 10-30 mhz tops (too little to make an actual change in line graph in MSI afterburner). It shows as a static line but while shooting at the floor and causing system to pop 120% power or more it does drop 1-30mhz according afterburner. If i slowly move my mouse over the line graph it does say its dropping those 1-30 mhz but i got to carefully hunt for them.

I never dropped below 1500Mhz even with capping 125% TDP.

This is all done on max voltage I can put it on with using software, which is 1.243v

I do find the throttle odd since there isn't a real reason to do that. I bet with a custom BIOS you could get around that by setting a high default base clock.

*the explosions require massive amounts of GPU at 4K and max settings.

Last edited:
Planetside 2 really isn't the best game to test overclocks, it's way more cpu limited. I can run 1600mhz all day in that game, but get a crash instantly in something like farcry 4.

I have settled on 1555mhz/+480 memory @ 1.255v, really happy with the results.

Planetside 2 really isn't the best game to test overclocks, it's way more cpu limited. I can run 1600mhz all day in that game, but get a crash instantly in something like farcry 4.

I have settled on 1555mhz/+480 memory @ 1.255v, really happy with the results.

dude...watch what happens when your at 4K and max settings. The particle and explosion graphics are insane. I will be chilling at 60 FPS and 50-60% usage and 60-70% power then an explosion goes off in your face and its pikes to 120-130% power and you have 100% usage with a laughable 40 FPS that is near a 4x jump in GPU demand to keep 60 FPS which my GPU can't push.

Go play at 4K max settings drive a prowler/lightening into the wall and fire max rounds and see what happens...it is disgusting. It isn't even remotely as bad as when your in a massive vehicle battle and you have 10s-100 of explosions and lasers crossing screen.

Also for whatever reason when you access a terminal it requires like 2x GPU so it can run that transparent terminal screen.

how did you get those extra volts? custom BIOS? the software won't pass 1.243 for me.

I play at 1440 so that must be the difference, just from my experience I've never noticed ps2 to be very gpu intensive. In fact before I got a waterblock the temps while playing ps2 were very low, around 70c, but playing something like far cry 4 would get the gpu up to 80c.

Yes I'm using a custom bios I edited myself, the g1 must be different from reference cards because those are locked at 1.23v using software to bump the voltage

Back