Post your GTX 980 TI Overclock Results

Here are the preliminary results for my G1 (memory will be overclocked later on)
1) 0mV: Core: 1525Mhz
2) +50mV: Core: 1560Mhz ( I may be able to reduce voltage a little here)
3)+87mV: Core: 1580Mhz
Small artifacts are noticeable at >=1585Mhz.

For 24/24 I will go with +50mV at 1550Mhz

Note that fan speed is limited to 70% in all scenarios and temperature never exceeds 66C (ambient temperature is 23C).

What are you using to stability test?
Regardless, I cant get near those clocks.
They have allowed exceptional freedom of voltage on the G1.

Yes and if it remains stable, the voltage increase may allow you to adjust the clock up a little as well.
Everyones card is different so its something only you can find out.

Like anti-hero says, I tend to find what clock speed becomes unstable first before I up the voltage.
But there is also a clock increase associated with the voltage increase, just to complicate it a bit.

Well I had found out yesterday that much more than +140 would crash it in benchmark driver crash. So I was thinking to start from 140 again maybe add 10-15mv and see how it runs then maybe try to hike up the clock another 10

Does this look about right for a regular Firestrike run? I am oced to about 1524 here with of course some throttling in a few spots. Hopefully someone with a similar cpu as mine can chime in. My graphics score seems good but my overall score seems easily beat by those with even older 6 core Intel cpus.

http://postimg.org/image/f8mf18ttj/full/

Well I had found out yesterday that much more than +140 would crash it in benchmark driver crash. So I was thinking to start from 140 again maybe add 10-15mv and see how it runs then maybe try to hike up the clock another 10

Thats the way.
Higher fan speed may help too.

Does this look about right for a regular Firestrike run? I am oced to about 1524 here with of course some throttling in a few spots. Hopefully someone with a similar cpu as mine can chime in. My graphics score seems good but my overall score seems easily beat by those with even older 6 core Intel cpus.

That's consistent with the rig in my signature.

It's higher than my best score, although I'm running a 4690k at 4.6ghz. Think my best score was 15350 or somewhere in that range.

What are you using to stability test?
Regardless, I cant get near those clocks.
They have allowed exceptional freedom of voltage on the G1.

1 hour of Heaven Benchmark and half an hour of actual gaming (Wolfenstein).

I will test 1550Mhz further this week-end (girlfriend is away!) and I may try to reduce the voltage a bit. Finally, I will play with the memory once the core is settled.

Just can't seem to get a good dialed clock. It's not that they are unstable per say but boosts bounce up and down quite a bit when benchmarking.

1 hour of Heaven Benchmark and half an hour of actual gaming (Wolfenstein).

I will test 1550Mhz further this week-end (girlfriend is away!) and I may try to reduce the voltage a bit. Finally, I will play with the memory once the core is settled.

My hat is off to you, Superb overclock.

For now I settled for a very modest +109 on core boosting me to exactly 1400 at boost and its nearly 100% at that boost speed in all benches. In games I never see less than 1400 and that's all with game temps not over 52c.

Thanks, but it is the luck of the draw.
The Asic of my G1 is 72.3% for the record.

Yeah I realise that, also the better cooler and higher voltage allowance help.
My Asic is 68.9%.
Would be better if it was on water but I'm keeping my CPUs loop as CPU only.
I dont need the extra 9% (I'll keep telling myself that until I move to 4K :p)
tbh I game at stock speeds cos it maxes everything but a lot of the fun is seeing what it can do :)

My hat is off to you for having the better card by a mile lol.

Curiosity got the better of me so I blew the 1.25V 425W air cooling bios.
I modded it to turn the fan off below 60C by copying the fan control section from my bios.
Its currently idling at 37C with no fan after some heavy duty testing, nice.

Before blowing I spotted that the section for voltage control had the voltage set from 1.25V to 1.6V vs my original bios 0.6V to 1.6V.
As expected, this set the minimum selectable load voltage as 1.25V.
This might be because the steppings below 1.25V are not stable for everyone, I will see what happens after I mod it back in.

Anyhow, it does perform a lot better at 1.25V.
With 75% fan, it runs at 1500MHz just fine at around 78C sustained load.
fyi :)

Oh and because its the same bios used on all the modded bios versions, it doesnt redetect the card on reboot after flashing, it just worked straight away, coool.

brb, gonna try and get the lower voltage settings back.

edit
Turns out the bios modder didnt find a way to undo the lockout that prevents you selecting higher voltages with Afterburner, I was again limited to 1.223V max.
So whatever high voltage you want to use, you have to explicitly set it in the bios and it will always use that voltage under load.
I'm not sure its worth the effort going further, not until I get 4K at least so I'll just leave it like this.

Last edited:
Can you clarify the lockout issue? Are you saying that adding +87 on AB makes no difference and that I have to mod the BIOS and set the additional voltage explicitly? Can you explain what the max OC you got with stock vs modded? Also, did you use a modded BIOS from a different card?

Can you clarify the lockout issue? Are you saying that adding +87 on AB makes no difference and that I have to mod the BIOS and set the additional voltage explicitly? Can you explain what the max OC you got with stock vs modded? Also, did you use a modded BIOS from a different card?

Each mfr uses different settings for their BIOS and these will vary in the card range as well.
The EVGA SC+ ACX2.0+ limits me to 1.199V max with stock bios and a small addition to voltage in Afterburner.
I can add more voltage in Afterburner but it doesnt raise the amount fed to the card.

Using Afterburners monitoring tools I found that the card was hitting its power limit so blew a modded bios on it to lift max power to 425W. (the bios is taken from the same card range as mine, a slightly lower model using the same clock speeds)
This helped a little, I was no longer power limited and got it to 1478MHz with added voltage in AB.
But I found that the card was now voltage limited (afterburner showed the voltage limit was on) at a higher 1.223V.
This appears to be the max the EVGA bios allows on the voltage slider and hasnt been modded out.
This is why there is a separate modded bios that explicitly sets a higher voltage "in the bios" to run all the time.
ie if I set 1.25V in the bios, under load it will always use 1.25V and cannot be changed higher or lower. It idles lower but load is always 1.25V.

So initially I was power limited at 1440MHz, the 425W bios fixed that.
It allowed another 24mV @ 1478MHz and I was then voltage limited because the voltage wouldnt go any higher due to EVGAs bios config.
I then tried a 1.25V 425W modded bios which permanently uses 1.25V and this got me to 1500MHz with 75% fan. It did go faster with higher fan but its already enough noise.

The EVGA Classified and water cooled cards allow higher voltage so the silicon can take it.
But they have better coolers so temps must be kept down as that will likely age the card fast if not careful.

I am tempted to grab hold of the Gigabyte G1 bios and mod the fan section to match my stock bios so the fan doesnt get under/over driven.
The G1 allows up to 1.28V to be applied (which isnt safe with lesser coolers) but at least I will then get to choose how much voltage to sensibly apply.

Man, this seems like a lot of work and trouble for a few FPS.

In light of your enthusiasm about performance, you could consider getting a Kingpin. It is expensive but should OC like you want without spending time juggling with settings and bios (as oppose to play games).

Hehe, a shed load of the fun I have is in getting the best from my system.
I'm an electronics engineer so its sort of my duty :p

I'm not bothered about getting the overall worldwide max so even faster cards dont bother me.
But I do like to find out what causes the limits and how to remove them and pass on the experience to make it easier.

Hehe, a shed load of the fun I have is in getting the best from my system.
I'm an electronics engineer so its sort of my duty :p

I'm not bothered about getting the overall worldwide max so even faster cards dont bother me.
But I do like to find out what causes the limits and how to remove them and pass on the experience to make it easier.

I'm a RN who works in the Emergency Dept. I just buy more then one card and call it a day ;)

J/k..Thanks for putting out the effort though man and passing on the info..

I'm a RN who works in the Emergency Dept. I just buy more then one card and call it a day ;)

J/k..Thanks for putting out the effort though man and passing on the info..

Cheers, its nice to be appreciated.

Got 150 core, 450 memory. Kind of disappointed, I was really hoping for at least 200 on the core, but considering it crashes even at 165 that isn't happening. ASIC quality is 64.5% so I'm not surprised. I'm wondering if increasing the core voltage would help get some more core clock. What's a safe amount to bump it up by? 35mV?

Got 150 core, 450 memory. Kind of disappointed, I was really hoping for at least 200 on the core, but considering it crashes even at 165 that isn't happening. ASIC quality is 64.5% so I'm not surprised. I'm wondering if increasing the core voltage would help get some more core clock. What's a safe amount to bump it up by? 35mV?

If your using afterburner or precision, just crank the voltage slider all the way to the max. These cards can handle the voltage. Of course, that should allow you to increase the core a little bit more. Just monitor your temps and look for artifacts.

I have two EVGA stock 980 ti's with the ACX cooler. My top card has an ASIC of 83% and my 2nd card is at 68.2% I can overclock both cards to 1450-1485 without issue with temps/artifacts. The lower ASIC quality card will utilize more voltage though to keep pace with the main highr ASIC card.

Actual clocks need to be listed not just what you added to the speeds. +150 core on stock voltage should mean you are getting nearly 1500 mhz which is damn good. In fact I doubt that is even stable in all benchmarks.

If your using afterburner or precision, just crank the voltage slider all the way to the max. These cards can handle the voltage. Of course, that should allow you to increase the core a little bit more. Just monitor your temps and look for artifacts.

I have two EVGA stock 980 ti's with the ACX cooler. My top card has an ASIC of 83% and my 2nd card is at 68.2% I can overclock both cards to 1450-1485 without issue with temps/artifacts. The lower ASIC quality card will utilize more voltage though to keep pace with the main highr ASIC card.

I heard these cards have voltage protection, I guess I'm just unreasonably paranoid I'll fry my card. Just to be clear, you are talking about the core voltage slider, not the power limit slider, right?

Actual clocks need to be listed not just what you added to the speeds. +150 core on stock voltage should mean you are getting nearly 1500 mhz which is damn good. In fact I doubt that is even stable in all benchmarks.

Yeah, it's 1454 mhz core, 3954 Mhz memory (which I assume you double to get the real speed unless my card has something seriously wrong with it; I'll admit I'm new to this). So far (knock on wood) it's been stable. I only just reached something that wouldn't artifact and crash last night, so I haven't had much time with it, but so far I've run it through two passes in Heaven, a pass in Firestrike, an hour in GTAV, 45 min in metro last light, and 45 min in black flag, with the games at 6008x1080. Also a little time in Crysis 3 but that game is too buggy to be enjoyable. We'll see if it remains stable as I continue playing games.

I heard these cards have voltage protection, I guess I'm just unreasonably paranoid I'll fry my card. Just to be clear, you are talking about the core voltage slider, not the power limit slider, right?

I meant the voltage but you can set the power limit all the way to the right as well. You're not going to fry your card dude. Just go up 10-20 Mhz at a time and test for stability then back off a little bit once you reach your threshold

Yeah, it's 1454 mhz core, 3954 Mhz memory (which I assume you double to get the real speed unless my card has something seriously wrong with it; I'll admit I'm new to this). So far (knock on wood) it's been stable. I only just reached something that wouldn't artifact and crash last night, so I haven't had much time with it, but so far I've run it through two passes in Heaven, a pass in Firestrike, an hour in GTAV, 45 min in metro last light, and 45 min in black flag, with the games at 6008x1080. Also a little time in Crysis 3 but that game is too buggy to be enjoyable. We'll see if it remains stable as I continue playing games.

Honestly 1453 MHz is pretty good. My SC+ has an ASIC score of 70.7% and you have the same OC as me and I'm pretty happy with it. I view anything over 1400 as awesome and you aren't going to notice much of a difference except in synthetics.

I need help with some OCing.

Gigabyte 980 TI G1

stable at stock voltage at 1500-1550 Core in kombuster furmark in all tests except memory.

I add +25mv in afterburner and I am stable in memory at those clocks

I have not OC memory in any way (I actually can't OC it in afterburner for some reason. Why???)

I play any game and PC crashes and reboots. Why? How can I be stable in furmark! and not a game. That is like opposite of what it should be.

Also I have not done multi hour furmarks yet but 10-30mins just fine. Games crash in .5-5 mins -_-

EDIT: Also ASIC is 65.7%

Also I updated to newest drivers. Game ready ones

Last edited:
I need help with some OCing.

Gigabyte 980 TI G1

stable at stock voltage at 1500-1550 Core in kombuster furmark in all tests except memory.

I add +25mv in afterburner and I am stable in memory at those clocks

I have not OC memory in any way (I actually can't OC it in afterburner for some reason. Why???)

I play any game and PC crashes and reboots. Why? How can I be stable in furmark! and not a game. That is like opposite of what it should be.

Also I have not done multi hour furmarks yet but 10-30mins just fine. Games crash in .5-5 mins -_-

EDIT: Also ASIC is 65.7%

Because furkmark slams the GPU as hard as possible full time, there isn't any transient load. Under normal circumstances the voltages will be adjusted based on current GPU utilization, you're basically getting GPU vdroop. Really these days I think the two best stability test for a GPU are Farcry 4 and Shadow of Mordor, they are remarkably sensitive to even the tiniest bit of instability (far more than any canned bench).

Because furkmark slams the GPU as hard as possible full time, there isn't any transient load. Under normal circumstances the voltages will be adjusted based on current GPU utilization, you're basically getting GPU vdroop. Really these days I think the two best stability test for a GPU are Farcry 4 and Shadow of Mordor, they are remarkably sensitive to even the tiniest bit of instability (far more than any canned bench).

so should i force voltage?

EDIT: ok its happening at stock voltage too but it takes longer to happen.

Is it a bad card?
Is this a PSU issue? I have a 700W PSU (no name brand) I tested in furmark and looked at my UPS for total watts used and it barely breaks 500 with 3 monitors and computer and other stuff so its not a total draw issue. Maybe rail limits?
or is it still just this vdrop thing?
or is it bad drivers even though I have newest ones?

Last edited:
so should i force voltage?

EDIT: ok its happening at stock voltage too but it takes longer to happen.

Is it a bad card?
Is this a PSU issue? I have a 700W PSU (no name brand) I tested in furmark and looked at my UPS for total watts used and it barely breaks 500 with 3 monitors and computer and other stuff so its not a total draw issue. Maybe rail limits?
or is it still just this vdrop thing?
or is it bad drivers even though I have newest ones?

You could have a bad PSU. Normally it freezes, black screen. However, reboot sounds suspiciously like a defective PSU.

You could have a bad PSU. Normally it freezes, black screen. However, reboot sounds suspiciously like a defective PSU.

but if its a bad PSU why does furmark maxed out work fine but games it crashes? If it was bad PSU wouldn't unrealistic loads (furmark/F@H) be unstable vs games?

Also I had a GTX 770 which i though had similar draws and i had no issue at all.

Stop using Furmark, it can harm your card, it pushes far harder than any game.
Some cards are throttled by the driver when Furmark is detected because of this but I havent kept up with it for some time as I dont use Furmark any more.
If the driver isnt throttling, you may have already damaged your card.

Assuming your card is ok...
Leave power % at the max it will go, all this does when set lower is throttle the card, stopping it from using its capability.
The voltage and clock speed determine how much power is needed/used.

Up voltage to about 1.25V max and see how fast you can get it to go, it is safe with the G1.
If it needs more fan than you are comfortable with, set the fan to your max and reduce the voltage + overclock to suit.
(go higher than 1.25V once you know what you are doing. I wouldnt let temps go above 70C, pref lower when using higher than 1.25V as it will accelerate wear in a similar way as running Furmark. This will need a high fan so dont bother if its already too loud)
ps I dont know how much voltage you can apply on the G1 as I dont have one, but I know its more than the normal EVGA cards. If you cant achieve 1.25V, set it to its max instead.
pps the standard fan may not be fast enough for the higher voltage/higher overclocks, you may need to make a custom fan profile in Afterburner.

Use Unigine Heaven benchmark to stability test.
10mins per clock test to see when it crashes, then back off 10MHz or so and go for a longer test/
1/2hr is a guide, 1hr and its game stable for me.

If you still have problems, it could be a hardware issue as mentioned.
PSU or gfx card most likely.
I'll be afk for a few days so cant help further.

Last edited:
So I was bored and feeling a bit disappointed that I haven't really done much to improve the overclocks on my PC considering I now have a new HAF X ugly as sin case.

Well guess what? I bumped some more volts into my processor and hit 4.6 Gigawatts! Processor remained at 70 C tops with only a single bump to 80 C during physics test on Core 2. All other cores were 68-70 C. I say dayem son that is tight.

So I run the marks and I wanted to do the following:

Firestrike break 18K with a single card
Firestrike extreme break 9K with a single card
Firestrike ultra break 5K with a single card

Well I got 2/3. I think I can bump my processor to about 4.7 Giga with 1.32 volts. Currently it is at 4.6 Giga with 1.3 volts.

Here are the bitching results.

Oh by the way. My card is now stable at 1502/7200 clocks so I also finally am stable at that level with a modest fan curve. The card never went past 66 C during the benches. I am in fucking love with this setup.

I can beat those graphics scores but cant touch your overall scores with my piddly 4770k.:D

And I will just sacrifice a few degrees before I pull my old HAF case out of the closet...

but if its a bad PSU why does furmark maxed out work fine but games it crashes? If it was bad PSU wouldn't unrealistic loads (furmark/F@H) be unstable vs games?

Also I had a GTX 770 which i though had similar draws and i had no issue at all.

All I can tell you is that I had the same issues of random reboots. I replaced the power supply and it fixed it. It was my power supply. What is the make/model of yours? If it's a low tier PSU the probability is higher that it's crap. Mine was a PC Power Silencer MK II and it till had to be RMA'ed.

As for Furmark, Nvidia cap it's clock so that it doesn't get too close to the TDP that trips your PSU circuit. During games, as your card heats up, it draws more and more power until it hits the limit where your PSU trips and reboot. That's my theory if in fact your PSU is the culprit.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that I had the same issues of random reboots. I replaced the power supply and it fixed it. It was my power supply. What is the make/model of yours? If it's a low tier PSU the probability is higher that it's crap. Mine was a PC Power Silencer MK II and it till had to be RMA'ed.

As for Furmark, Nvidia cap it's clock so that it doesn't get too close to the TDP that trips your PSU circuit. During games, as your card heats up, it draws more and more power until it hits the limit where your PSU trips and reboot. That's my theory if in fact your PSU is the culprit.

According to GPU-Z and MSI afterburner there is no throttling...so what nvidia throttles it without telling you?

My TDP never broke 90% with 1550/7000

Gaming it was like 30-50% then crash

and my UPS is telling me my 3 monitors, desktop, netbook, peripherals were only pulling 500-550 tops. so there is no way PSU is under high load. That games and furmark never broke 500-550 with all the added stuff so desktop must have been using tops 350-400 watts.

According to GPU-Z and MSI afterburner there is no throttling...so what nvidia throttles it without telling you?

My TDP never broke 90% with 1550/7000

Gaming it was like 30-50% then crash

and my UPS is telling me my 3 monitors, desktop, netbook, peripherals were only pulling 500-550 tops. so there is no way PSU is under high load. That games and furmark never broke 500-550 with all the added stuff so desktop must have been using tops 350-400 watts.

Are you saying that Furmark ran at 1550? Check again, it's throttled to 1300 or so.

I'm giving you advice to check your PSU. If you don't want to then it's up to you. With an OC like that I would not want to RMA the card without seeing if it's the PSU first. It has nothing to do with total wattage, if it's bad, it reboots at random regardless of the load.

Are you saying that Furmark ran at 1550? Check again, it's throttled to 1300 or so.

I'm giving you advice to check your PSU. If you don't want to then it's up to you. With an OC like that I would not want to RMA the card without seeing if it's the PSU first. It has nothing to do with total wattage, if it's bad, it reboots at random regardless of the load.

just asking because someone was talking about Vdrop and stuff. I am thinking it might be the PSU but not sure.

Oh, also it appears to happen at stock voltage too. I forgot to add that after I did more testing it can happen then too. On my intense games but its weird because as I said furmark appears to be fine so if it was a true power draw issue why doesn't it happen on furmark and these things crash in .5-5 mins and furmark has gone on much longer than that.

I'll run furmark later with those clocks and screen shot it. Runs just fine everything passes on stock voltage except memory. If I take it to 25 plus mv memory test is fine but never ran more than 15 or 30 mins straight (probably only 15 tops). Tried 1600 and poof :) on stock voltage. Never tried higher. Don't care until I figure out whats wrong.

I got to get ready for a court date so I don't have enough time to test...just reply. I'll post screen shot around noon-5 pm central depending on when I get back.

EDIT: I said screw it and ran test. It does loose like 15 mhz after awhile.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y33hnl4lnvoc7oi/furmark 1550.png?dl=0

Make sure you fully zoom in. I have a 4K screen so if MSI afterburner line is missing zoom in more to see it.

Last edited:
just asking because someone was talking about Vdrop and stuff. I am thinking it might be the PSU but not sure.

Oh, also it appears to happen at stock voltage too. I forgot to add that after I did more testing it can happen then too. On my intense games but its weird because as I said furmark appears to be fine so if it was a true power draw issue why doesn't it happen on furmark and these things crash in .5-5 mins and furmark has gone on much longer than that.

I'll run furmark later with those clocks and screen shot it. Runs just fine everything passes on stock voltage except memory. If I take it to 25 plus mv memory test is fine but never ran more than 15 or 30 mins straight (probably only 15 tops). Tried 1600 and poof :) on stock voltage. Never tried higher. Don't care until I figure out whats wrong.

I got to get ready for a court date so I don't have enough time to test...just reply. I'll post screen shot around noon-5 pm central depending on when I get back.

EDIT: I said screw it and ran test. It does loose like 15 mhz after awhile.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y33hnl4lnvoc7oi/furmark 1550.png?dl=0

Make sure you fully zoom in. I have a 4K screen so if MSI afterburner line is missing zoom in more to see it.

I see you run it at 1080P. It may not throttle at that point. 1080P is not a good test for the 980TI. It won't max out your card. At 4K it will throttle by 200-300 MHz.

If you have a no name PSU then I'm almost positive it's the PSU. Don't trust any no name PSU to output its advertised wattage. Your 700 watt is probably gutless and it may be AC wattage rather than DC. Also, if it's not 80 plus, it's efficiency is probably 60-70%. 70% of 700 AC is 490 DC watts.

The EVGA 850 G2 is 850 DC rated. That means it can draw up to 950 watts of AC power. Huge difference. Your PSU is probably not defective, it's just a gutless wonder and can't handle the 980 TI. Don't skimp on your power supply if you're buying a $700 video card!

I meant the voltage but you can set the power limit all the way to the right as well. You're not going to fry your card dude. Just go up 10-20 Mhz at a time and test for stability then back off a little bit once you reach your threshold

Alright, I'll probably start messing with the voltage then once I'm satisfied that what I've got right now is stable. Need a break from watching Heaven for hours on end lol.

Back