1549MHz core clock on air.

Last edited:
[L]imey;1042077268 said:
Pics of the setup Nick?

I have it all hidden behind a couch and curtain lol

eNOChAv.jpg

4AVlvDv.jpg

LFlLboH.jpg

Not in the least. I've been doing this since '09 and never had an issue.

Wow I am surprised there are no issues. Of course it is super humid where I live so maybe it isn't such a difference for you.

Wow I am surprised there are no issues. Of course it is super humid where I live so maybe it isn't such a difference for you.

Yeah I live in a region with a good climate for this set-up and, long before the humidty hits us, I have those hoses connected to my AC, which outputs perfect, dry air.

Are you concerned about the high humidity levels/condensation from outside air?

Very cold air has much less water vapour.
If anything it will dry the air out in his room as it warms up.

ordered a G1 Gaming.
1st one I received I swear the box was opened before I tested anyway..

ASIC was something like 84%. Crazy high. Card barely OC'd even with fans @ 100. Max I could OC was 80MHz on the GPU. I didnt even bother touching the RAM. Temps were shit, maxing out at 83 with the stock overclock at stock fan speed. 100% fan took it down to around 78. I have shit airflow in my case but ambient was like 67. No matter what I did it was not stable over 85 MHz over the stock OC.

This current card has a 69% ASIC. waiting until it gets to room temperature to test.

Totally agree. My G1 barely hits 75c with only 25% fan. At 50% I see 68c and at 75% I see 60c and this is with a voltage BIOS mod at 1.255v and 1450mhz/7500mhz

well guys results are in.....

It can do +100 on the core. I think its 1420 in game? around there..

Max temp even at +130 (it crashes within 5-10 min) top out at ~78 degrees.

thats 2 brand new cards having the same temps. and the lower ASIC overclocks better (I dont put much faith in it anyway)

I do notice I cant see shit all for paste on the core when I look at it from the side and that it uses a thermal pad for the VRMs.

well guys results are in.....

It can do +100 on the core. I think its 1420 in game? around there..

Max temp even at +130 (it crashes within 5-10 min) top out at ~78 degrees.

thats 2 brand new cards having the same temps. and the lower ASIC overclocks better (I dont put much faith in it anyway)

I do notice I cant see shit all for paste on the core when I look at it from the side and that it uses a thermal pad for the VRMs.

voltage? put the max software voltage...its like 1.254 or something. Also turn the fan up. Crashing is becuase of lack of voltage. My ASIC is 68 and i need extra voltage at any OC -_- damn low ASIC

yeah, the first card (ASIC 84%) wouldnt even do +130 WITH extra volts. I thought this was odd. although I did bump it up a tiny bit and it made no difference. Didnt try it under 130 MHz overclock though.

This current card (ASIC 68.4%) will do +100 without extra volts, extra cooling, nothing. Exact same settings as the Hardocp review except only 100+ as opposed to 130.

I do find funny that the review the temps top out at 72....
seems real world samples are much different.

yeah, the first card (ASIC 84%) wouldnt even do +130 WITH extra volts. I thought this was odd. although I did bump it up a tiny bit and it made no difference. Didnt try it under 130 MHz overclock though.

This current card (ASIC 68.4%) will do +100 without extra volts, extra cooling, nothing. Exact same settings as the Hardocp review except only 100+ as opposed to 130.

I do find funny that the review the temps top out at 72....
seems real world samples are much different.

case ambient and such make big diference. Mind is super cool but i am in a basement and my case is an x9.

Yep I'm gonna try to replace a few fans in my case.

Overall great card. Went from 2 7970s.

This thread makes me feel bad. Got a gtx 980 g1 gaming from gigabyte and my score is a 64% and it used to overclock really well, now any decent overclock causes games to crash or hard locks. Can't wait for the new cards to drop then im trading her in.

This thread makes me feel bad. Got a gtx 980 g1 gaming from gigabyte and my score is a 64% and it used to overclock really well, now any decent overclock causes games to crash or hard locks. Can't wait for the new cards to drop then im trading her in.
Are you running stock bios? Maybe up the voltage? My old 780 was like that and I was about to sell it until I flashed & raised the voltage. Then, it was a killer card.

I have a 3-way SLI setup and can only max out @ 200/400 and even then all 3 cards overheat. It's because I made a mistake and purchased the EVGA cards ACX+ 2.0 type cooling and not the standard ones that vent the heat out of the case. I tried everything, even ran with the case open and all 3 cards still hit 91C, and I have a HAF-X with plenty of space.

EVGA wouldn't swap the cards for the standard cooling models (same price). You'd think after what I spent, current and past on their products they'd do it for me.

I have a 3-way SLI setup and can only max out @ 200/400 and even then all 3 cards overheat. It's because I made a mistake and purchased the EVGA cards ACX+ 2.0 type cooling and not the standard ones that vent the heat out of the case. I tried everything, even ran with the case open and all 3 cards still hit 91C, and I have a HAF-X with plenty of space.

Waterblock those bad boys and slap a loop with a big rad on your rig. If you can afford 3 of'em, then you are serious about hardware and can afford to wet them. Will take care of all of your heat drama. But as to OC'ing, +200 on the core and +400 mem for 980Ti's that already sport a factory OC is pretty much par for the course... i.e. You aren't going to see much more before stability issues rain on the parade, even with more voltage. Still, at least you won't overheat!

Last edited:
Waterblock those bad boys and slap a loop with a big rad on your rig. If you can afford 3 of'em, then you are serious about hardware and can afford to wet them. Will take care of all of your heat drama. But as to OC'ing, +200 on the core and +400 mem for 980Ti's that already sport a factory OC is pretty much par for the course... i.e. You aren't going to see much more before stability issues rain on the parade, even with more voltage. Still, at least you won't overheat!

i wish people would post the actual clock....how the fuck am i supposed to know what your stock clock is....I am not going to guess that and give an opinion on that. Its the worse when reviewers due it and give OC guides based on +this...seriously WTF.

i wish people would post the actual clock....how the fuck am i supposed to know what your stock clock is....I am not going to guess that and give an opinion on that. Its the worse when reviewers due it and give OC guides based on +this...seriously WTF.

Here ya you since you seem young and super impatient:

Almost all 980 Ti cards can overclock to 1400 MHz (this and the others that I post are boosted speeds by the way). It should be noted that there are exceptions to this, and temperature of not only the GPU core plays a big role.

About half can achieve 1450 MHz.

Not that many can get to 1500 MHz.

Only a select few can get past 1550 MHz and actually be completely stable in everything.

This is going off of completely air cooled cards. Putting them under a full water block will help eek out better numbers, but it really isn't worth the cost (at least to me). The % increase to performance for the cost increase doesn't scale favorably.

No room. I have a MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard. All 3 cards are directly next to each other- no space in between the fans. That's probably why it's so hot. The 4th PCI-E slot is unavailable because I run a 5820k. I hit 91C even @ standard clock speed with the case open.

For fucks sake, calm down - not like you need to be spoon fed or something. :p If he wanted you to know, he would have said. He's got an EVGA with a SC+ cooler, so most likely a factory OC of around 1200 or so. You can also read here and just about everywhere that *most* 980Ti's typically won't push much more than around 1500 at best on the gpu core and remain stable regardless of vendor. Some get lucky, but most end up around there or in the upper 1400's and once heat soaked, tend to get flakey as hell unless the heat issues are taken care of.

No room. I have a MSI X99A SLI Plus motherboard. All 3 cards are directly next to each other- no space in between the fans. That's probably why it's so hot. The 4th PCI-E slot is unavailable because I run a 5820k. I hit 91C even @ standard clock speed with the case open.

True waterblocking (not that hybrid crap) makes the cards much skinnier and opens up a lot of space between them. Typically takes up a lot less room then air cooling as far as the cards go. And there are also bridges for however you want to stack them, or simply just tube them together yourself. Granted, you need a case that's setup for a pump/radiator or you have to go external.

i see basically everyone here gets 1500 or more. I dont know how people cant get 1500 unless you got sub 60% score. My 62 or 64% card gets 1500 in everything stable (as far as i recall) and 1550-1570 stable in select games. If you cant get 1500 your not OV or you got one piss poor card. My card was shit too. It crashes in some select cases at stock voltage lawl.

Also the heat issues peopel have blow my midn away. I have the G1 and its super damn cool. They either have reference or a tiny box with no cooling, which is their own fault and not the card.

(3 way sli is a different story)

Last edited:
<snip> ... Putting them under a full water block will help eek out better numbers, but it really isn't worth the cost (at least to me). The % increase to performance for the cost increase doesn't scale favorably.

Totally agree - waterblocking a 980Ti just for more performance gains simply isn't worth it - one would be lucky to eek out another 100-150Mhz on the core if luckily. However, I blocked mine primarily to take care of the heat/noise issues. Never have to worry about the GPU's ever getting hotter than 40C tops no matter what they are doing, and as an added bonus the CPU in the loop stays frosty as well. (It also really helps to have a two radiator setup and lots of good, high static pressure low speed fans.)

Last edited:
Totally agree - waterblocking a 980Ti just for more performance gains simply isn't worth it - one would be lucky to eek out another 100-150Mhz on the core if luckily. However, I blocked mine primarily to take care of the heat/noise issues. Never have to worry about the GPU's ever getting hotter than 40C no matter what they are doing, and as an added bonus the CPU in the loop stays frosty as well.

king pin was pretty adamant that water blocks dont help with performance at all assuming your not over heating. My G1 at 1.254v runs like 60-70C with the actual fans running. Its not hard to cool with a good air cooler and water would not yeild better scores according to king pin. Scores only improve with super low temps according to him and water cant do that. Phase change sure but not regular blocks.

Now water blocks would help manage temps and longevity with 3 way SLI and make a nice quite case. But performance...no. These cards I also consider kind expendable since their relevance will be 2 years at best since we are hitting a new node.

True waterblocking (not that hybrid crap) makes the cards much skinnier and opens up a lot of space between them. Typically takes up a lot less room then air cooling as far as the cards go. And there are also bridges for however you want to stack them, or simply just tube them together yourself. Granted, you need a case that's setup for a pump/radiator or you have to go external.

The HAF-X definitely is not. I've seen pictures of people cutting out pieces of their case to mount them. I'm not going to bother. Just as long as my cards don't melt. EVGA has that long warranty. I'll probably upgrade long before that happens.

I haven't played anything GPU intensive since I got Fallout 4. I'm a bit concerned how a game like GTA V might do on my setup being that it runs so hot. They're probably all throttling down anyways...

Dude, modding a case in order to bend it to your [H] needs is what it is all about! :D

rbZAXG2.jpg

And to keep the thread a bit more on track, I've got my 980Ti GPU cores dialed in at just under 1500. They can manage 1500+ just barely, but aren't rock solid there in all benchmarks/apps, so I can live with them just below the 1500 mark.

Last edited:
super if thats your case....just get the x9....it would serve you oh so much better. How are those not breaking/warping the back panel?

Yup, the back panel on the 800D is pretty stout... Hell, the whole case is that way. I'm using the shell of a pretty deep case fan (38mm deep Scythe Ultra Kraze) with 4 long bolts/washers to offset and secure the back radiator - holds up just fine. I considered upgrading the case (the X9 would be a great choice given the dual rads), but everything simply works. The top rad is fully shrouded with 8 GT 1850's in a push/pull configure, so with the case door on, the air flow through the entire case is pretty significant. The lobotomy up top may not be pretty, but I'm more a function over form approach kinda guy. :D

Last edited:
Here ya you since you seem young and super impatient:

Almost all 980 Ti cards can overclock to 1400 MHz (this and the others that I post are boosted speeds by the way). It should be noted that there are exceptions to this, and temperature of not only the GPU core plays a big role.

About half can achieve 1450 MHz.

Not that many can get to 1500 MHz.

Only a select few can get past 1550 MHz and actually be completely stable in everything.

This is going off of completely air cooled cards. Putting them under a full water block will help eek out better numbers, but it really isn't worth the cost (at least to me). The % increase to performance for the cost increase doesn't scale favorably.

This is my latest OC/Bench..
1544MHz and on air..look at these temps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIq0Y_unl3I

I cool the GPU by inducting winter air through vinyl hose from the window.

My card's asic is 78.7

Back