Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Working fine for me. Cerulean (and ekuest, if you're still seeing the big stuff) try going to Case Mod Gallery, pressing CTRL+F5 (force complete refresh) and then coming back to the thread. That's what I'd do ;)

lol. they are less then 400px wide. you may need to refresh your content...
1310484384831.jpg

Finally I have a ghetto mod worthy of being posted on [H]!

It started a few weeks ago when I got back into water cooling, I purchased some second hand stuff off some members [H]ere. After putting together my loop I noticed that there was nowhere to mount a 2x120mm radiator in my case without cutting it up, something I did not want to do.

I looked at a lot of build your own case stuff like aluminium frames, eventually settling on PVC for the case material, mostly because its cheap as fuck and I had already done a wood case before.

My older brother and I wen't to PC Cases R Us, aka Home Depot, picked up $4 in PVC pipe (20') and $10 in adapters (10 T adapters and 10 elbows). After we got back from PC Cases R Us we got to work.

We first tried to figure out how to put the PC together, it was a fairly daunting task as neither of us know how to interact with other human beings, making it difficult to communicate to each other. Once we settled on the design we cut the PVC, drilled some holes, and put together what you see today!

I am proud to present, the PVCPC!
47Adtap.jpg

As you can see the old case, an antec p180 mini, is still located adjacent to the PVCPC as I don't have a power button yet for the PVCPC and I'm too lazy to use a screw driver :p
VUBXN9B.jpg

Since we measured by cutting things didn't fit quite the way we wanted them to, so we had to make due :D
3CnYS7Q.jpg

I also kinda forgot I had to have some sort of storage to boot off, so we just taped the SSD to the GPU
BhLZrjp.jpg

Under the radiator
PZBOlzO.jpg

PSU from back
IKRfRVk.jpg

PSU/pump/res from top
GFXMIjj.jpg

and of course, the power button ;), wouldn't want to leave the beauty out, might just rip off the whole faceplate and set it in front of the PVCPC instead of getting a new button.
3my27H8.jpg

All the screws, nuts, and pvc needed for this was $15 and could have been made out of a single 10' section of PVC, assuming you come into it with a plan on how to build the case instead of cutting before you know how long things need to be :D

Pretty old but haven't posted it yet. I bought expensive tripod and I wanted to carry it easy. The accessories were of course ridiculous prices so I decided to make my own strap.

2 Key rings, some cable ties, one acting loose for the key rings to have movement and the other acting as a stopper to prevent it from coming up. Then a shoulder strap from my gym bag, easy life. Been using it like this for 2 years now without any issues. I take it to car events, walk around the pit stops, I even leave the camera on the tripod.

http://i.imgur.com/iZTt8RI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aqCs8Fb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XMlEPM1.jpg

I put my litecoin rig in a milkcrate. Featuring a wooden dowel, a milk crate from my basement, a coat hangar (see picture 2 in album), and a power button made from a switch w/ taped on leads (pic 3). http://imgur.com/a/Up3wL

+2 food stamps on that. Nail it to the tree for a hoop and play some basketball with it you'd get another +3 stamps.

Pretty old but haven't posted it yet. I bought expensive tripod and I wanted to carry it easy. The accessories were of course ridiculous prices so I decided to make my own strap.

2 Key rings, some cable ties, one acting loose for the key rings to have movement and the other acting as a stopper to prevent it from coming up. Then a shoulder strap from my gym bag, easy life. Been using it like this for 2 years now without any issues. I take it to car events, walk around the pit stops, I even leave the camera on the tripod.

http://i.imgur.com/iZTt8RI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aqCs8Fb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XMlEPM1.jpg
That's clever and definitely ghetto. 4 food stamps for your tripod mod. Don't spend it all at the same liquor store.

Finally I have a ghetto mod worthy of being posted on [H]!
Start from 5 foodtamps:
No zapstraps, no ducktape: -2 foodstamps
Correctly used screws: -1 foodstamp
Proper use of materials: -2 foodtamp
Use of ordinary tape: +1 foodstamp

For a grand total of 1 foodstamp; I would recommend to spend it on zapstraps and ducktape :D

Well Harro there. I just couldn't stay away from this thread, so I cranked up the volume on max whilst listening to the official ghetto anthem (2Pac feat Akon – Ghetto Gospel) and voila

http://i.imgur.com/IIEe3Ax.jpg

ghetto super grippy rubber feet for my keyboard. Keeps it steadier than my heavier IBM M model gg

Well Harro there. I just couldn't stay away from this thread, so I cranked up the volume on max whilst listening to the official ghetto anthem (2Pac feat Akon – Ghetto Gospel) and voila

http://i.imgur.com/IIEe3Ax.jpg

ghetto super grippy rubber feet for my keyboard. Keeps it steadier than my heavier IBM M model gg

Pfft, Duct Tape and Rubber?

+1 Food Stamp for Duct Tape
-1 Food Stamp for Rubber
-1 Food Stamp for using colored duct tape rather then silver.
You owe me.

Blue sticky tack would have worked better.

Start from 5 foodtamps:
No zapstraps, no ducktape: -2 foodstamps
Correctly used screws: -1 foodstamp
Proper use of materials: -2 foodtamp
Use of ordinary tape: +1 foodstamp

For a grand total of 1 foodstamp; I would recommend to spend it on zapstraps and ducktape :D

TIL string is the proper material to use when mounting a reservoir :p

Got bored, built a lamp. LOL.

mu7Lc11l.jpg

cm8TQ0wl.jpg

sav0vJTl.jpg

sGvCe8Yl.jpg

Bill Of Materials --
A medium-sized CD cakebox
A lenth of Romex cable, roughly 14-18" long
A Dollar Tree 5-LED flashlight, blue (3xAAA batteries not included because it's so cheap)
An empty can of Great Value "Deluxe" Cashews
Two cable zipties
Electrical tape, dark blue
A length of plastic cable-tidy sleeving

Cost me $0 -- the cakebox and cable I've had basically forever, the flashlight was purchased for another project which was abandoned (making the flashlight spare parts), the cashew can was a Christmas gift when it was full (thanks Dad!), the zipties I had, colored electrical tape is always around the house (I get it from Wal*Mart when it starts to run low...) and a fellow [H]er (you know who you are!) gave me the cable sleeving a few weeks ago.

Haven't put batteries in to test it yet. Those will be fancy rechargeable types tho -- I don't hug trees but that doesn't mean I don't like them ;)

I'd have kept the base on the cashew container to catch and disperse the light better. I think it'd just be a flashlight holder (directed light) as it stands now. but nice work.

mu7Lc11l.jpg

cm8TQ0wl.jpg

sav0vJTl.jpg

sGvCe8Yl.jpg

So Ghetto, So awesome! I am going to steal your idea. +5 Foodstamps.

One suggestion though, I'd fill that CD case with some kind of weight, maybe gather some stones and fill it. So it won't tip over. Or cut a hole in the top of the CD Case and use it as a coin bank :D

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :D

Used to have a clip on fan where the clip died and it became a desk fan with a similar base... then the motor died and it became junk :(

The lamp is a little tippy, but not as much as you might think -- the real issue with the design is that the neck, being made out of old copper wire, is at least as springy as it is stiff -- so even though it'll hold place, it tends to boing around a bit every chance it gets... I'm not sure how to fix that tho :eek: somehow I doubt that cornstarch is gonna do it and I don't have much of anything else...

UPS mod to keep the cats from turning them off by accident (water bottle caps with holes in them hot glued)

upsmod_zps3ae89496.jpg

UPS mod to keep the cats from turning them off by accident (water bottle caps with holes in them hot glued)
/upsmod_zps3ae89496.jpg[/IMG]

very nice...now how do you keep the cats from messing with the accessibility settings on your desktop?

no opposable thumbs. ....er, oh that. they don't seem to hit the keyboard. :)

mu7Lc11l.jpg

cm8TQ0wl.jpg

sav0vJTl.jpg

sGvCe8Yl.jpg

Bill Of Materials --
A medium-sized CD cakebox
A lenth of Romex cable, roughly 14-18" long
A Dollar Tree 5-LED flashlight, blue (3xAAA batteries not included because it's so cheap)
An empty can of Great Value "Deluxe" Cashews
Two cable zipties
Electrical tape, dark blue
A length of plastic cable-tidy sleeving

Cost me $0 -- the cakebox and cable I've had basically forever, the flashlight was purchased for another project which was abandoned (making the flashlight spare parts), the cashew can was a Christmas gift when it was full (thanks Dad!), the zipties I had, colored electrical tape is always around the house (I get it from Wal*Mart when it starts to run low...) and a fellow [H]er (you know who you are!) gave me the cable sleeving a few weeks ago.

Haven't put batteries in to test it yet. Those will be fancy rechargeable types tho -- I don't hug trees but that doesn't mean I don't like them ;)

HOLY SHIT OMG GHETTO MOD OF THE DAY!! I'm honored :D :D :D

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2014/02/27/ghetto_mod_day

Ok. Nothing flashy but it is elaborate so bear with me. This is the result of work done for a frie d for free. Stuffed an entire i/t solution for an office into a repurposed storage cabinet. This includes network for all computers (8), ring central telephone, ip security system, power for door access controls, among other things. Used fishing line and sinkers to pull the ethernet cable, cut into tiles to hide dome cameras, and used a switch that came with something used at work to build stuff that otherwise would have been scrapped had i not saved it, mounted in a door handle for an exterior door to release the ground leg on the door magnet ( back to access controls lol.) To act as a "deadbar". A butterknife was used to cut sheetrock, and if you check closely i didnt even use zipties. I used scrap twisted pair wire ROFL. And, to save money from having to pay phone/ internet to two locations, im running ethernet over rg6 coax to the second location. Best part yet, the server for the ip surveillance is a williamette pentium 4 with zip ties holding toe stock heatsink on an asrock board, its not even in a case its held onto an old shelf using sheetrock screws and cable ties. Illhave to snap a pic lol holt tight
xpae6d.jpg

Last edited:
404 ghetto not found.

Ok, if y'all got a moar ghetto i/t department fine. A little to the left of the shot was a few cans of icehouse edge and some BOGO pork rinds. This is true because it is 4am and that icehouse edge it reminding me why it was so cheap. That shit was done out of necessity lol. It does not get more ghetto that scrap ethernet wire pairs for zip ties in an environment where that stuff should be stuffed in a server cabinet.

Last edited:
Ok, if y'all got a moar ghetto i/t department fine. A little to the left of the shot was a few cans of icehouse edge and some BOGO pork rinds. This is true because it is 4am and that icehouse edge it reminding me why it was so cheap. That shit was done out of necessity lol. It does not get more ghetto that scrap ethernet wire pairs for zip ties in an environment where that stuff should be stuffed in a server cabinet.

Heh, you never worked for an ISP have you? You don't know what ghetto IS.

One of my favorite topics. It's a blast browsing through all the pages with smart ideas. I shall contribute plenty to this subject in the near future, just need to sort out my potato camera.

Here is the only picture I could find of my ghetto mod, my first computer. It was the most basic Pentium 4 Dell available in 2001, integrated graphics, everything. Left the hardware bone stock but I took it upon myself to cut a hole in the side panel, install a window with blue led fan, rounded ide cables and uv cathode, it was the shit. I took it to lan parties and everything.

A53P3Du.jpg

That looks like the cheap case I got in a barebones kit from tigerdirect.com

Last edited:
In some parts of the world it's cold, but not in Hawaii and with mining, GPU temps can reach over 95C in less than a minute.

So I hooked up my air conditioner directly to the front of my PC case.

20140307_123228_zps7035bf3e.jpg

20140307_123208_zpsb5ee08cc.jpg

20140307_123222_zpsb584f83a.jpg

20140307_123217_zps8157b9a1.jpg

20140307_123239_zps152a2e52.jpg

I even already have a way to vent out the hot air outside the window because the room is already getting too hot with the PC on.

Here's what that setup looks like: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1642510&highlight=

Back