Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
PS3 Cooling Mod

Even though it didn't solve the overheating issues. Can I still get some Food Stamps for effort?

It runs for about 10 seconds then shuts itself off again. :( Anyone else have any ideas? I could always try to waterblock it but I really don't want to spend the money.
I guess It could make a good decoration.....

Lose the heatsinks. Those fans are only cooling the chassis because of them.

The fan died on my Pentium II so I used electrical tape in the form of a sling to hold a case fan over the dead cpu fan. The electrical tape wasn't holding on its own so I duct taped the electrical tape.
There wasn't room for a second hard drive so I just laid it in the optical bay.
5 food stamps for you. I lol'd when I noticed the sling.:D

PS3 Cooling Mod

Even though it didn't solve the overheating issues. Can I still get some Food Stamps for effort?
It runs for about 10 seconds then shuts itself off again. :( Anyone else have any ideas? I could always try to waterblock it but I really don't want to spend the money.

Agreed. But Krenum still get some food stamp lovin'. 3.5 food stamps for the effort. Would've been 5 if it had worked.

But they are in direct contact with the Processors. I had to fabricate special brackets for them to fit.

--------------------------------------
@ wra18th : Thanks for the Foodstamp Lovin'

PS3 Cooling Mod

<snip>

Why go through all of that? leave the stock hs/f on there and snip the third wire so only 12v and negative are connected, fan will run at 100% and move huge amounts of air.

Why go through all of that? leave the stock hs/f on there and snip the third wire so only 12v and negative are connected, fan will run at 100% and move huge amounts of air.

I don't know lol, why do anything?

While true. I thought about doing that, but have you heard a PS3 at 100% fan load? It sounds like a jet fighter taking off.

Do I get any foodstamps for this? :p

Two ordinary, large paper clips.

Cut and bent, just like the owner. :D

Heatsink was pulled from an old Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan motherboard:

Installed:

Cut a square hole just slightly larger than heatsink. Paperclips slip under edge of shroud which in turn holds heatsink firmly to I/C. Used Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 thermal compound. Very thin layer, of course. ;)

Drilled two holes and mounted the fan with a couple of fan screws. Fan has 4 molex extenders connected which hang down to the case and connect to the power supply because I was too lazy to chop a USB cable to run off of the LCD. :p

Works! No more overheating of I/C! :D

nice! i did similar things to my XHD3000 for about 2 years to keep it working (got it for free cuz it was borked) until it finally got to where it would artifact days apart instead of months. finally bit the bullet on a $300 logic board and it's been working great since. no food stamps for me. :(

Sorry too Sophisticated and calculated, no foodstamps for you..

you used a high tech fastening system where tape would have been sufficiently more Ghetto

Do I get any foodstamps for this? :p

Two ordinary, large paper clips.

Cut and bent, just like the owner. :D

Heatsink was pulled from an old Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan motherboard:

Installed:

Cut a square hole just slightly larger than heatsink. Paperclips slip under edge of shroud which in turn holds heatsink firmly to I/C. Used Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 thermal compound. Very thin layer, of course. ;)

Drilled two holes and mounted the fan with a couple of fan screws. Fan has 4 molex extenders connected which hang down to the case and connect to the power supply because I was too lazy to chop a USB cable to run off of the LCD. :p

Works! No more overheating of I/C! :D

Genius! Doesn't even look that ghetto :p

Since the paper clip hold-down mod didn't do it, this will. Nobody can say no foodstamps to an aluminum foil and electrical tape cowling ghetto mod. :D

Aluminum foil will always get you food stamps. 4 food stamps for Ace Goober.

I bought Nokia 100 and while I'm fully satisfied with the phone I noticed sometimes when I talk on the handset it falls off my ears. I figured it will be a good experiment to get some in-ear headphones and solder them in place. Mission accomplished, they work great, the voice and radio is much better with lots of bass and treble. Next step is to remove the rubber and use foam ear silencer plugs for ultimate isolation.

http://i.imgur.com/oYXqZgO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jm4BSTa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UsDVxse.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BCV49Xy.jpg

p.s somebody gave me the in ear headphones and I don't know what they are. I've been told they cost more than the phone lol

EDIT: Don't use foam ear plugs to make mushrooms tips, they were actually less comfortable but worst of all they leaked all the bass. Reminded me of my Technics DJ headphones when the pleather cracked and I scrubbed it off. Thought about getting some velour pads and I'm glad I didn't. Leather/rubber contains a lot of the sound qualities :) Hope this info helps somebody.

Last edited:
very clever idea, so no foodstamps there.
but for the use of electrical tape instead proper heatshrink you get 3 foodstamps.

New light for the laundry alcove. Pix are huge cuz I'm too lazy to resize 'em off the camera, so you get links :p

http://i.imgur.com/GHb9Y6R.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vWqfHIF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WvtS0Bt.jpg

Food containers 2/$0.98 @ Wal*Mart
"Table lamps" $1 each (bought two) @ Dollar Tree
Friend sent me the switch and the spade connectors with a whole buncha other shit
Had the 100ohm resistors (two, one for each lamp, sorta in parallel) in a bin o electronic junk
Scrounged the 3xAAA battery holder from a previous laundry light that went for a swim in the wash machine :p
Had the approximately 1/2 mile (ish) of electrical tape (and a foot or so of the double stick foam stuff), too...
Cut up part of a small flat rate box for the little bit o cardboard in there (what the hell would I do without that stuff?!)

Result: it glows! (and the food container will keep the demons of dampness out :p )

Man, someone needs to get you the assorted box of heatshrink, some glue, and some solder. lol
2 food stamps to you!

Can't use heatshrink (no heatgun) but I have a nice soldering iron (Sparkfun's 50w variable temp model) and it was used in a couple places here.

Tape? Got plenty, you bet! :D

Thanks for the food stamps, I'll try not to spend 'em all in one place :p

starhawk has to walk uphill both ways to even spend his food stamps

not even joking

Nah, just got home from a trip. Public transit rocks :p well sorta.

It's too damn cold to walk lol.

Looks like he hacked apart a decent piece of furniture, too :( That's plywood, not particle board!

400 dollar projector, CHECK!
48 cents spent mounting it, CHECK!

That is impressively shitty. I'm just baffled by the amount of work they put into it just to do the job wrong.

That being said, I award NO FOOD STAMPS. I don't see any duct tape or wire hangers.

imho it's additionally ghetto in that he took a perfectly nice-looking piece of something and then tied strings to it and adjusted it with folded papers. haha, reminds me of my projector stand that is actually made from crap but actually is fairly functional and not too bad looking. i'll try to remember to post it up later.

Just ghetto modded a half height dual NIC into a full height slot by bending up the top of the half height bracket, attaching it to the existing slot cover with a couple of zip ties, and cutting holes for the network cable ports...

11275568983_0c7acac2c1_b.jpg

11275538654_84bf78b919_b.jpg

I was originally worried it wouldn't hold, and plugging and unplugging ethernet cables would jostle the card in its slot, but these zip ties are surprisingly strong. I can lift the entire rig by the card without it moving in the slot :p

LOL I've been here for years and somehow missed this thread. This is 126 pages of comedy gold!

DIY dust filters... Installed them last night. Made from cut up surgical masks :p Time will tell how they perform.

Ghetto or no? Methinks the tape is a nice touch :D

EDIT: Sorry for the huge pictures! How do I make em smaller?

EDIT 2: Got it, I think.

Last edited:
Starting doing some mining. Had a video card that i wanted to OC to get more k/h out of it.. but was knocking over 80c in the case.

Thanks to the partner for giving up an old stand...
start.JPG

testing. no fire yet!
testing.JPG

All cleaned up and ready to produce
allput.JPG

Time for some east cost outside 32 degree air
cooling.JPG

Back