Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Looks good mate. Personal opinion though, put the fans in pull instead of push if you have bad dust issues in your place...

I really wanted to do that actually, but space constraints for fitting my hand into the backside of the top drive bays made it literally impossible up there unless I pull out the mainboard. Also since this is a 1st gen p180, there is no cutout behind the CPU so I'm screwed there too... The center intake is difficult because I would need a shroud to stand the radiator off a bit from the case in order to secure it. I have another snapped out fan shroud for that purpose but simply couldn't find bolts at the hardware store that were long enough to do that :(

So, I compromised ;)

Just sitting here with a couple Chrome tabs and Winamp up, I'm seeing the following:

CPU: 14C
GPU1: 31C
GPU2: 27C

After playing Dead Island for about 40min I was up to 53C on GPU1, which I think is just because it's ingesting warm air from the CPU and GPU2.

I put the CPU on some Prime95 for awhile... Maybe 15min? and the CPU leveled at about 40C but hit 41C shortly before I stopped it.

My office temperature is probably ~20C (68F)

I think the greatest benefit really comes down to it being pretty quiet even when I'm gaming it up. I suppose my greatest worry is that the VRMs on the GPUs are only cooled inasmuch as those blower fans are spinning around freely along with pressure forcing air past them and out the back slots and grills in the case.

Explain to me how your CPU at idle is 6C/10.8F below ambient? What magic is this?

Explain to me how your CPU at idle is 6C/10.8F below ambient? What magic is this?
I think that's just something FX cpu's do. My brother's FX8350 was showing single digits for his cpu temp using an H100i. Once some load gets applied they jump up to normal. I think the temp sensors are just out of whack on those chips.

I think that's just something FX cpu's do. My brother's FX8350 was showing single digits for his cpu temp using an H100i. Once some load gets applied they jump up to normal. I think the temp sensors are just out of whack on those chips.

yer. I'm pretty sure they need a offset applied within the programs...

Not sure if I have already posted but I feel like I should contribute.

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running DD-WRT + 9dBi/12dBi/9dBi

Note: I've removed the fan & heatsinks in those pics for a more.. beefier setup (bigger & more heatsinks on all chips & CM Sickflow fan that pushes alot more air).

snip

snip

Also I recently had aquired a TL-WDR4300 & flashed it with DD-WRT but wasn't a fan of the 2.4Ghz performance compared to the older version. But I did open it up and also put in heatsinks. I do notice this unit runs a bit cooler but still doesn't compare to the Wireless N 2.4Ghz performance/range to the TL-WR1043ND.

snip

Nice work with that!

Do you think this would benefit my router, because every time there is bigger load (playing on PS3 multiplayer, 3 iPhones and 2 iPads, MacBook Pro + sometimes downloading something, another PC which streams stuff 24/7 over the internet (lets say netflix)) it just restarts. Internet disconnects from every device and then after 30sec - 2mins re-connects.

Btw, I mean adding a fan, not flashing the firmware. ;)

Thanks

Last edited:
Nice work with that!

Do you think this would benefit my router, because every time there is bigger load (playing on PS3 multiplayer, 3 iPhones and 2 iPads, MacBook Pro + sometimes downloading something, another PC which streams stuff 24/7 over the internet (lets say netflix)) it just restarts. Internet disconnects from every device and then after 30sec - 2mins re-connects.

Thanks

may not be the "right" answer, but I added a fan to a ddwrt router only because it was overclocked and I ran the antennas at ridiculous power levels as it was for a war driving kit. All I wanted to do was test it's limits.

If you have the know how to put one on, you should be able to open it up and see if heat is an issue. Under heavy load is the internal processor or housing hot? if the housing isn't hot, but the cpu gets hot, you may be fine just adding a heat sink. just my 2c

may not be the "right" answer, but I added a fan to a ddwrt router only because it was overclocked and I ran the antennas at ridiculous power levels as it was for a war driving kit. All I wanted to do was test it's limits.

If you have the know how to put one on, you should be able to open it up and see if heat is an issue. Under heavy load is the internal processor or housing hot? if the housing isn't hot, but the cpu gets hot, you may be fine just adding a heat sink. just my 2c

Yeah, housing is hot. It is not ridiculously hot, but it is definitely warm.

HDD-SSD_Drivebay_ghetto.png

Was looking around for 3.5" to 5.25" bays, then thought - why not just use some cardboard! I managed to slip my SSD in there too, in 1 5.25" bay.

Not as ghetto as some of this stuff around here, but it works for me.
For anyone interested in temperatures: Max temps so far have been 34C.

This is sorta ghetto. I used some bent R/C links leftover from a Tamiya High-Lift kit to mount a fan to blow over my GPUs.

gpufanmod01.jpg

gpufanmod02.jpg

gpufanmod03.jpg

gpufanmod04.jpg

Brilliantly executed, appealing to the eye, and asthetically correct!

Great Job but No Foodstamps For YOU!

YOU SIR HAVE NO BUISNESS IN THIS THREAD!!!! HOW DARE YOU MOCK US!

btw, looks cool! :D

This is sorta ghetto. I used some bent R/C links leftover from a Tamiya High-Lift kit to mount a fan to blow over my GPUs.

:eek: lol, this is so well executed that I can't even consider it ghetto. This is like... the "right way" to do it if you ask me! ;)

im dying. This guy needs to be banned from this thread! I would love for that fan set up to be in my own rig...

You know those cute-looking $7 (or so) O2COOL brand necklace fans you can buy at Wal*Mart and shit? The ones that have a little blower fan in a cartridge with some cheap twine that gives your neck a rope burn so you can stand being outside long enough to get a sunburn?

I knew those were overpriced, but I didn't know how overpriced until I made my own for exactly $0.

I cut up a spare worn-out Priority Small Flat Rate box, stuck a fan inside (with a grill for safety, don't need to get your fingers whacked -- it doesn't feel good and it fries the fan). Ran the wires to a 4xAA battery holder with a built in switch. For once I'm glad I shop at Radio Shack every so often or I woulda been hunting down a spare 9 volt and a switch, and making a holder for both -- which I didn't want to do.

Fan is a D90BM-12 by Monsieur Yates and Monsieur Loon. 92mm. I only used a nice fan because I knew the voltage would be low. Still puts out a nice breeze.

Necklace is Target brand orange twine. This shit is more orange than a traffic vest on a pumpkin, but it works for me. "Tied" with electrical tape to avoid terminal fraying issues.

I gave it an appropriate name and label: COOL-O-MATIC, written with a chisel-tip Sharpie.

Here, have some pix ya'll, and then I'm going to go for a walk. It's 88 F outside but I'm not worried. I'm a real big fan of good cooling :D

These pix are done as links because my good photo-reducing computer is giving me problems and my camera takes shots that are both as big and as blurry as a good movie in the theater. (You Have Been Warned.)
http://i.imgur.com/I6d7Wt2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zcYOIw4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/To0mhoU.jpg

Be interested to hear what you folks think of my good work. LOL.

You know those cute-looking $7 (or so) O2COOL brand necklace fans you can buy at Wal*Mart and shit? The ones that have a little blower fan in a cartridge with some cheap twine that gives your neck a rope burn so you can stand being outside long enough to get a sunburn?

I knew those were overpriced, but I didn't know how overpriced until I made my own for exactly $0.

I cut up a spare worn-out Priority Small Flat Rate box, stuck a fan inside (with a grill for safety, don't need to get your fingers whacked -- it doesn't feel good and it fries the fan). Ran the wires to a 4xAA battery holder with a built in switch. For once I'm glad I shop at Radio Shack every so often or I woulda been hunting down a spare 9 volt and a switch, and making a holder for both -- which I didn't want to do.

Fan is a D90BM-12 by Monsieur Yates and Monsieur Loon. 92mm. I only used a nice fan because I knew the voltage would be low. Still puts out a nice breeze.

Necklace is Target brand orange twine. This shit is more orange than a traffic vest on a pumpkin, but it works for me. "Tied" with electrical tape to avoid terminal fraying issues.

I gave it an appropriate name and label: COOL-O-MATIC, written with a chisel-tip Sharpie.

Here, have some pix ya'll, and then I'm going to go for a walk. It's 88 F outside but I'm not worried. I'm a real big fan of good cooling :D

These pix are done as links because my good photo-reducing computer is giving me problems and my camera takes shots that are both as big and as blurry as a good movie in the theater. (You Have Been Warned.)
http://i.imgur.com/I6d7Wt2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zcYOIw4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/To0mhoU.jpg

Be interested to hear what you folks think of my good work. LOL.

let's say you make $20/hr. if this took you more than 21 mins to make, then the $7 walmart one is a better deal. :)

I'm unemployed. Positing, for the moment, as if I were employed, I really don't think I'd be paid that well!

Made a 2nd one that's better. Pix at some point tonight (hopefully) but IMO it's not nearly as good a candidate for this thread since it looks nicer. (It also works a lot better, but that's largely irrelevant.)

Pix of the 2nd one. Of note, the battery is one of those carbon zinc assface batteries that has no capacity whatsoever. Came free with a fire alarm. What happened to the fire alarm? Well, it had the sheer audacity to go off when we turned the heat on for the first time last winter. No smoke from the vents and Mom was trying to sleep, means it won't be reactivated anytime in the next decade for sure.

Besides, we have a woodstove (chimney's lined so that's one thing not to worry about) so it would've gotten removed from duty at some point anyways. There's no such thing as a fire alarm that can tell when it's really just the woodstove running.

Pix --
http://i.imgur.com/Zgvh2Ja.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZrP11L3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZQs6Z3.jpg

This one works a whole lot better than the first model -- at least, until the (rated as) 12v 0.36a blower decides to run the battery out. Blower is a Delta BFB0712H. Lower CFM rating, but it's a lot more potent at 9v than the Yate Loon I was using -- tested both and the Delta won.

Note to self: buy new 9v batteries that are worth a shit plz.

Ghetto Waterworks.

This is about 47 sq in of radiator per CPU. SWTX Tyan S8812 mobo (4P G34) is in a Rosewill Blackhawk case with a subplate to raise mobo .125". Chinese water blocks are held down with homemade spring clamps. Red vinyl is hot, blue is cold. Radiator flows 700gph, CPU's flow 140gph each.

http://youtu.be/xtSGRYmH2Bs

http://youtu.be/Uu1OnOTJwwU

Running 41°C max at full load at 3.0ghz with 64 cores of AMD ES 6200 chips, Mobo using 855w + water and fans (all AC, not 12v).

Made myself a wooden headphone stand using a piece of plywood, a piece of 2x4, a large screw, and some solder. I stained the wood.

I wrapped the solder around the bolt and them smoothed it out with the soldering iron. Although that part is complete, I'd like to smooth it out a little more just to make it look better.

Macro shot of the hanger:
omlNalH.jpg

Full view:
a4nf8CY.jpg

A drop of solder that I left there because it adds character/ghetto jazzyfreshness:
1C28jFO.jpg

My HD598 resting comfortably on it's new throne:
k8ycdpI.jpg

Nice work with that!

Thanks

I had this same issue and by adding some height to the router from the stand I was able to cool it enough with the increased air circulation to stop the restarts. Next step is to add heat sinks and a fan...lol

Made myself a wooden headphone stand using a piece of plywood, a piece of 2x4, a large screw, and some solder. I stained the wood.

I wrapped the solder around the bolt and them smoothed it out with the soldering iron. Although that part is complete, I'd like to smooth it out a little more just to make it look better.

Macro shot of the hanger:
omlNalH.jpg

Full view:
a4nf8CY.jpg

A drop of solder that I left there because it adds character/ghetto jazzyfreshness:
1C28jFO.jpg

My HD598 resting comfortably on it's new throne:
k8ycdpI.jpg

hahahah that is beautiful

Put some old parts together for a netflix box. The old GPU cooler was too loud so I picked up that cooler master one on clearance for 2 or 3 bucks. It was really heavy though and the card sagged a good half inch at least, so I figured I'd add some support.

I couldn't find any fishing line, so it was either twine or dental floss. I'm not too flossy, and twine was way more manly, so I went with that.

4okd.jpg

Put some old parts together for a netflix box. The old GPU cooler was too loud so I picked up that cooler master one on clearance for 2 or 3 bucks. It was really heavy though and the card sagged a good half inch at least, so I figured I'd add some support.

I couldn't find any fishing line, so it was either twine or dental floss. I'm not too flossy, and twine was way more manly, so I went with that.

I gotta ask whats the stripped fan motor in the bottom corner :confused:

I gotta ask whats the stripped fan motor in the bottom corner :confused:

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that! A while ago I wanted the lights off of a dead fan but the LEDs were attached to a PCB. I didn't know if it was changing the voltage to them or not so I ripped the housing and blades off the fan, cut the wires to the motor coils and just chucked the whole mess in.

This case is more ghetto than I thought! Complete with ghetto bling!

4okd.jpg

KICK ASS.

550 cord would be even more manly. :D

Back