Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
i was happy when the 7600GT's whiny fan died
k5kLh.jpg

76ZvF.jpg

Hey you do realize that XFX has lifetime warranty on their video cards right???:eek:

this doesn't come anywhere near the ingenuity displayed throughout this thread but it's dodgy so i guess it has a place here...

GPU sag...
due to space limitations (radiator blocking pimary PCIe x16 slot) had to install the card in the 2nd PCIe x16 /3rd PCIe slot. at least with the card lower in the case, only needed to use a small box of paracetamol to prop up the arse of the graphics card.

modpic649.jpg

modpic650.jpg

What does the warning label on the side say?

Its just the manufactures specs, saying whats its rated for, what its made of, who make it, ect.

paint that thing, it might actually look good.

I thought about cutting the ends at an angle, so it lays flush against the wall and floor. But, I have another tray, and plan on making a 'real' shelves unit out of them. Just need to salvage the right material to go across the two rack to make the actual shelves.

I'm a fan of good home cooling -- and the upstairs of my house is not air conditioned (it's too old and we're too poor, so ducts were never installed). So I made a cool desk fan for myself...

Rigging cool stuff is fun :D (but my puns probably are not)

I'm a fan of good home cooling -- and the upstairs of my house is not air conditioned (it's too old and we're too poor, so ducts were never installed). So I made a cool desk fan for myself...

Rigging cool stuff is fun :D (but my puns probably are not)

Nice, Ill give you you 4/5 food stamps because of the lack of ducktape. :D

I got nearly a whole basement of computer junk from a friend who was moving out of the state.

One of the boxes had 5 old AMD stock heatsinks (had a retention clip similar to Intel's socket 370... can't remember what the AMD equivalant was at the time).

"What can I do with these?" Aluminum fins... seemed kinda decent. And all these little 60mm fans...

Hot glue them all together obviously and make one super-fan!
20120626203856286.jpg

Size comparison with a 120mm fan I ripped out of a dual P3 Compaq tower server. Really thin, same 120mm wide. The screw holes however are a little too far apart... but works fine with heatsinks that use metal clips. Or a more ghetto means of attachment (tape / rubber bands)
20120626203933766.jpg

I soldered this stuff up correctly and used some electrical tape.
20120626204011256.jpg

This thing running at full blast moves a FUCK ton of air. More than that compaq fan does. Running at 5V it's still pretty audible, and still moves a decent amount of air.

Was a fun little project :p

I'm pretty sure those betas run at 24V which is why the output would be weak. They're also PWM. Nice job though, serious lulz.

I'm pretty sure those betas run at 24V which is why the output would be weak. They're also PWM. Nice job though, serious lulz.

Nope, 12v .8amp.

I replugged this fan in... it does infact move more air than my ghetto one. But still... those 4 small fans together are pretty impressive.

I got nearly a whole basement of computer junk from a friend who was moving out of the state.

One of the boxes had 5 old AMD stock heatsinks (had a retention clip similar to Intel's socket 370... can't remember what the AMD equivalant was at the time).

"What can I do with these?" Aluminum fins... seemed kinda decent. And all these little 60mm fans...

Hot glue them all together obviously and make one super-fan!
<snip>

Size comparison with a 120mm fan I ripped out of a dual P3 Compaq tower server. Really thin, same 120mm wide. The screw holes however are a little too far apart... but works fine with heatsinks that use metal clips. Or a more ghetto means of attachment (tape / rubber bands)
<snip>

I soldered this stuff up correctly and used some electrical tape.
<snip>

This thing running at full blast moves a FUCK ton of air. More than that compaq fan does. Running at 5V it's still pretty audible, and still moves a decent amount of air.

Was a fun little project :p

I'm loving the ingenuity here :).

Had to think of a way to apply more pressure to my HSF since some plastic clips are broken.

This server was too damn loud. I had an extra Kuhler water block thingy, the screw holes didn't exactly line up but it was close enough.

dsc00480scaled.jpg

This isn't all that ghetto, I was too cheap to buy a bigger case so I made an addition to the top. I had to stuff cardboard under the reservoir because the air pocket kept getting sucked back into the loop otherwise. That's electrical tape around PVC piping holding the radiator and fans up.
dsc00482scaled.jpg

Last edited:
I really wanted to lose my case and try something different. I was looking at
tech bench setups when i had the idea to make it myself.
The blue lights are antec 6 led usb strips. i got at frys. Other than getting sloppy on my cutting i think it turned out pretty cool.
Thanks.

asus p8p67
3570k 4.5ghz ihs removed added changed heat paste
Cooler master's TPC-812
4 gig 1600mhz
hd7850 @ 1260/5500 1.21v accerlero + ,120 mm fan
100 gig patriot enferno , win 7 , 250 read / write
1 terabyte w digital
dvd burner
$10 dollar plastic drawer from walmart
$10 antec led strip usb/on off
solder gun/ blade for cutting holes

20120717_220008.jpg

20120717_235932.jpg

20120717_235905.jpg

20120717_235701.jpg

20120718_000000.jpg

20120718_003117.jpg

20120718_003131.jpg

20120717_235858.jpg

20120717_235734.jpg

Last edited:
I needed antennas for my pci-e wifi adapter , so i made em and saved $$
pic speaks for its self. quick solder to the middle pin..walla

wifi.jpg

Not sure if I posted this. I have a portable USB drive that did not come with any way to power it. If I use a spindle drive it draws too much power from the USB and often fails to spin up. So I modified the cable to inject 5 volts into it with more amp capacity. :p

I ended up having to redo it as there was a short and it would reboot the computer if the cable is moved the wrong way. :D It works better now and actually looks better.

I don't have a picture of it (sorry), but I suppose this falls under the ghetto mod label. The fan in my 5.1 channel surround receiver stopped working. Not just the fan itself but whatever electronic that controlled it. So I put a larger fan in and spliced it onto one of my case fan wires. It works well because the only time I use the receiver is when I'm using my computer. I just have to remember to turn off the receiver when I turn off the computer, because the fan shuts down with the computer. If I leave the receiver on too long with the fan off, it starts to overheat and I get a random pop noise from the speakers. The receiver does auto shut down, though, if it overheats. So that's good.

I don't have a picture of it (sorry), but I suppose this falls under the ghetto mod label. The fan in my 5.1 channel surround receiver stopped working. Not just the fan itself but whatever electronic that controlled it. So I put a larger fan in and spliced it onto one of my case fan wires. It works well because the only time I use the receiver is when I'm using my computer. I just have to remember to turn off the receiver when I turn off the computer, because the fan shuts down with the computer. If I leave the receiver on too long with the fan off, it starts to overheat and I get a random pop noise from the speakers. The receiver does auto shut down, though, if it overheats. So that's good.

Find a 12v source in the receiver and splice into that with your fan.

Back