Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
I like the ram cooler. You may want to drill holes or cut slots in the sides so the hot air can flow out easily.

AKWQEl.jpg

euaxVl.jpg

Won't fit in? IT WILL FIT ON.

Home Depot aluminiuiuminum angle, rivets, Corsair H100 cooling a Core i7 2600k

Lol very nice, I have something sorta like this on my case lol but its hanging off the back!

That laptop is flippin cool and nicely finished, no food stamps for you! :p.

That laptop is what describes this thread. You should post this on thereifixedit.failblog.org
Now all you have to do is stain it and brand it with the manufacture logo and you get 10 stamps lol.

[21CW]killerofall;1038239585 said:
That laptop is what describes this thread. You should post this on thereifixedit.failblog.org
Now all you have to do is stain it and brand it with the manufacture logo and you get 10 stamps lol.

I think he already stained it. I think that makes it lose a foodstamp so 9 foodstamps. :p

Actually, EngrChris, that looks kind of... nice! You've got some rad carpentry skills there, dude. Only things that are worthy of this thread really are (a) it's an Acer to begin with, (b) you didn't really hide or shield those three wires (two antenna and one LCD?) from the outside world, and (c) no bezel on the LCD itself.

Maybe I'll give my netbook a similar treatment when I get a few other ideas finished...

Ghetto 3dfx / Old PC Bench PC

Heavy use of Hot glue.

Motherboard is on Standoffs and PSU, HDD, and CDR are all Hot glued to the wood.. Its amazing how strong hot glue is.

Specs
AMD K7 800Mhz Slot A
MSI 6161
512 Mb SDR
40Gb HDD
Canopus Spectra 2500 (TNT)
Canopus Pure 3d II (Voodoo 2)
SB Audigy 2
52X CDRW

3dfxPC1.JPG

3dfxPC2.JPG

3dfxPC3.JPG

3dfxPC4.JPG

3dfxPC5.JPG

019.jpg

Entire computer system mounted inside a standard ATX power supply.

018.jpg

017.jpg

002.jpg

PSU PC mounted and operating inside a case. I explain to onlookers that the mirror ball is what is really powering the system because...there's nothing else in there. Good fun.

More here...
http://slipperyskip.com/page7.html

Haha, saw that on MiniITX[dot]com. Very funny and nicely done. IIRC you have a good sense of humor as well.

my three dollar case.

there's also another really poorly cut hole in the top for a 120mm fan.

buI8t.png

I suppose my old surround sound setup would also qualify.

Not image tagged because it's a bit giant.
http://i.imgur.com/w5tpN.jpg

Last edited:
my three dollar case.

there's also another really poorly cut hole in the top for a 120mm fan.

buI8t.png

I suppose my old surround sound setup would also qualify.

Not image tagged because it's a bit giant.
http://i.imgur.com/w5tpN.jpg

I see dual Vantec/Evercool harddrive cooling systems.

I wanted to ask, are the fronts of those things metal or plastic? Do you actually have HDDs inside them?

Here, an update to my favorite jerry-rigged mod, Paper Tiger.

Specs at present:
PC Power&Cooling "Turbo-Cool" 200W 1u PSU (found on eBay for a song)
HP/ASUS A7N8X-LA MicroATX Motherboard (nVIDIA nForce2 chipset, from a friend)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton core, IIRC, also eBay, also ridiculously cheap)
ThermalTake Volcano 10 HSF (got off the [H] Freebies thread IIRC)
512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (Kingston brand, pity I can't find any of my other 512 DDR sticks right now...)
10GB HDD (scavenged from a beige Dell; IIRC it's a Seagate)
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive (black bezel, from a Dell; no idea about make/model)
OS is a (mostly appearance-) customized version of "Fluppy 13", itself a version of Puppy Linux. I'll post a screenshot approximately sometime later.

Rounded IDE cables from the [H] Freebies thread, PSU Molex Y-Cable from eBay (for like maybe a full $2), power button from an antique HP that I took apart (we're talking Pentium 1 system here), amber LED from places unknown. The motherboard backplate is (partially) from a beige Gateway that I scrapped. (I did the painting; it's rather old rattle-can, in bright glossy cherry red. Brand is "American Traditions by Valspar" and probably no longer sold under that name.) There is a red 3-LED "Lazer LED" light under the backplate brace, courtesy of FrozenCPU (I had purchased it for another system which was never completed).

Construction:
The base is made of what Mom calls "bookshelf wood", namely yellow pine that's been stained with a cherry finish. Found it, taking up space and doing absolutely nothing useful, in our mudroom (read: storage space that contains tools, hardware, and a chest freezer for old food). I've screwed down (sheet metal screws) cardboard for the drive bays, as well as to make a "pocket" for the (Simpson Strong-Tie, also found in the mudroom) angle brackets that hold up the motherboard backplate. The backplate is two types of 3-ring-binder cover (one cheap plastic, the other cheaper plastic-over-cardboard) plus the metal mobo mount plate from a Gateway (hacked out with tin snips and painted, as mentioned above).

The drive bays are 2x5.25", and the HDD is in there with a 5.25"->3.5" adapter (I've no shortage of these). The drive screws are standard M3 drive screws like you'd find in any other system. The power supply is mounted using two angle brackets, one (a Simpson Strong-Tie type) coming off the bays, that forms a "channel" for the PSU cables themselves (an old AT mobo standoff helps a little bit here), and another (standard 2" corner brace) that goes to the back of the PSU (where the cables come out), bolted at both ends. There's a bit of wobble in the PSU mounting, but it's not an issue unless you move the system.

Screwed into the drive bays is both the front panel and a brace (made of a straight Simpson Strong-Tie as well as a smaller angle bracket of the same make) for the motherboard. The brace is held together with electrical tape (bright red) and attaches to the motherboard backplate by virtue of a binder clip (beats unscrewing stuff to take out the mobo). Under the brace, as mentioned, is a red 3-light "Lazer LED" plastic computer-mods light thingy that I got from FrozenCPU with a buncha other stuff for a mod I never completed.

There's actually a bit of philosophy around this system as well. I can't say it was "designed" a certain way, because the central ideas in use there were "wing it" and "if it works, it's good enough". But: there's a big difference between a standard repair and a jerry-rig. You see, a person who does a standard repair only has to know what part s/he needs, and where to get it. That person may also know what that part does and how to figure out which part s/he needs to obtain, but that is secondary at best to the whole "goes and gets the part" bit. However, someone who jerry-rigs something, has to know what the part does and how to repair it with what s/he has on hand -- it's actually a more intellectual and engineering-based process, and involves a fair bit of reasoning and resourcefulness that isn't present in the "goes and gets the part" process.

So, not only do I find Paper Tiger to be functional and useful, but I actually am a bit proud of my work. I also like the aesthetics of it, for the same reason: it's a jerry-rig, through and through, and it's a good one at that.

Let me know how I did, folks :D

EDIT: wrong ver of puppy! Actually, a visually-customized (changed some things around in IceWM) version of WaryTiny, a different Puppy derivative. Need to tinker more, but not right now...

EDIT2: screenie :D

Last edited:
Someone really needs to hookup their water cooling system to their toilet's intake.

One day, I accidentally closed the door on my desk where my computer sits and things got a bit toasty in there. So, to prevent this from ever happening again I added a fan to draw the hot air out. Helps, even with the door open.

Here's how it sits:
IMG_1790.jpg

But a hole in the back with my little adjustable hole cutter:
IMG_2152.jpg

The hole cutter with a retrofitted X-acto blade (rather than the HS cutter it came with):
IMG_2156.jpg

For the fan, I just pulled out the box-o-goodies and found a 120mm Antec 3 speed fan and a grille. The power is supplied by an old Netgear wireless router power supply. I just crimped on a strand of molex plugs, and viola!
IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

Now, she's cool and happy. /ghettomod

Needed a loopback at school the other day, had an old CAT5 in my backpack and a pair of scissors.

IMG_20120209_163111.jpg

I too have fallen victim to a ghetto mod. Recently I put an old C2D box out in the garage for streaming media, but I started to have some problems with the rig booting. It was POSTing really slow and half the time it would just get stuck in POST. Could not for the life of me figure out what the problem was. Finally I just too the guts out and started it up without the case. POOF, powered right up, no slow POST, no hanging, just straight to desktop.

I must have been having some sort of weird grounding issue. Normally with grounding problems you either can't get the system to power on at all, or you fry something. I guess i got lucky.

2hmmzw4.jpg

The power button from the case was broken due to my brother beating on it when i gave it to him a few years back, as was the reset button. The only thing I could find was a toggle switch from an old IDE external HDD enclosure. Works like it should, just have to remember to toggle it back after boot otherwise it will power off on ya. :)

dpd4k0.jpg

Don't excuse the mess. I'm hardly out here.

I made a 3.5 drive bay cover out of ceran wrap. Holiday wrap too. white plastic with one slot in translucent red. The cool thing was I had a drive from 1987 behind it and it had it's own LED. I guess in all its ghettoness, it ended up serving a purpose.

I made a 3.5 drive bay cover out of ceran wrap. Holiday wrap too. white plastic with one slot in translucent red. The cool thing was I had a drive from 1987 behind it and it had it's own LED. I guess in all its ghettoness, it ended up serving a purpose.

Pics or it didn't happen? Well at least the post is ghetto :p

Back