Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
zg5.jpg

The screen on my netbook broke so I started using it with an external monitor. Then the power cord started giving me problems, so I cut out the bad section near the connector, took apart the computer and soldered the cord to the motherboard. I was using it with the motherboard loose for a while but I found a sheet metal case for photographic slides at the goodwill for 2.99 and made some cutouts with a dremel for some of the ports.
ZG5inmetalcase.jpg

As you can see my dremel skills are a bit scrappy but what can you do. I also added some rubber feet that were from an electric organ I think. You have to open up the case to press the power button which is sort of a bitch because the monitor is usually sitting on top, but I usually just leave it on all the time since it barely uses any power with the monitor off. For more details see http://crapocalypse.blogspot.com/2011/03/homebrewn-1960s-style-nettop.html

Sorry any use of a dremel is grounds of rejection of "ghetto"

Tool Limitations are

hammer,
butter knife
pliers
drywall screws (when used for drilling or poking)

:)

Meh I disagree, I think the whole kit cost me $25 at a pawn shop and that was years ago. I used a deck screw and hammer to start the drill holes.

I don't know, to me "ghetto" doesn't say using only tools that existed before 1800, that's more like Amish style or something. Ghetto is more like spending the minimum amount (zero if possible) for the required functionality.

I don't know, to me "ghetto" doesn't say using only tools that existed before 1800, that's more like Amish style or something. Ghetto is more like spending the minimum amount (zero if possible) for the required functionality.

I agree. It's definitely not ghetto in terms of finish though, very well done :).

Looks nice and clean right?

imag0500q.jpg

Well before I received my stands, this is my great ghetto engineering in order to get 3x30" Dell 3007 wfp-hc's to get into Portrait mode =P

The back, card board, more card board, a metal clamp, plus...you guessed it! more card board

imag0687.jpg

imag0689i.jpg

Nothing like a black towel, some more card board, and w00t w00t, more card board to keep things nice and even

imag0686.jpg

imag0685.jpg

I cut holes in empty cd/dvd spindle boxes and coil my wires and cables in those. Another use for those bad boys other than holding bagels :D

yup, bad caps
the original ones where small diameter which i didn't find for cheap.
so i used normal diameter ones. but due to space constraints i had to use extension leads on 2.
I even re-routed some parts to the backside of the pcb as you can see in the first picture.

it's a revoltec 450W unit.

decided I got tired of dust sneaking in through every crevice of my P180 and completely covering my GPU and H50 to the point of severely raising my temps. I have a ton of cardboard so I used that to cover all the openings in the case, along with replacing the hollowed PCI brackets with solid covers, and using the foam that comes at the bottom of motherboard boxes as filters.

img0848.jpg

img0850sj.jpg

img0852cl.jpg

img0853u.jpg

img0854gt.jpg

img0855yz.jpg

img0858jg.jpg

img0861m.jpg

img0864o.jpg

^^^ That's pretty ghetto but as long as you have negative pressure, dust will still find it's way in and the filters are going to choke the airflow to your computer.

The best solution is to have filters on all intake fans and have greater net intake than net exhaust. Then you'll have positive pressure in your case and instead of air getting sucked in through every crack and crevice, air will be fighting to get out of your case and therefore naturally prevent dust from getting in.

^^^ That's pretty ghetto but as long as you have negative pressure, dust will still find it's way in and the filters are going to choke the airflow to your computer.

The best solution is to have filters on all intake fans and have greater net intake than net exhaust. Then you'll have positive pressure in your case and instead of air getting sucked in through every crack and crevice, air will be fighting to get out of your case and therefore naturally prevent dust from getting in.

I know, I have 2 slow fans on the H50 as exhaust and a fast fan as intake in the front. Temps are holding around ~45*C, a little high but Im taking a break from F@H where I would hover around 100*C so ~45 is a big improvement. Heres a few more pics :p

img0866gp.jpg

img0867vj.jpg

Needed a stand for my laptop on my exercise bike.

I used 1 inch right angle aluminum and 1 inch flat aluminum to build the stand. Then I used 5 pieces of super strong 4"x1" strips of adhesive backed Velcro to hook the stand onto the bikes pitiful stand.

Really may not even be that ghetto. It cost me a pretty penny for the aluminum plus the Velcro and felt pads. Hope you guys like.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

pfft.

zero foodstamps. physical fitness and good construction methods, appropriate and elegant materials choices.

You should be ashamed of this mod, sir.

+5 mod-points and a cookie for a sweet idea and a very nice finish on that bike mod ;).

Ok, I thought the whole heat sink fell off :eek: It's still pretty obscure though... whose hsf just falls off!?

Good thing you're getting another cooler... it might be hard to Xfire that card with all the shoestring in the way!

nice work, creative, +1 foodstamp for you; duck tape would be better, but given it's a temporary solution, you made a good choice

Ok, I thought the whole heat sink fell off :eek: It's still pretty obscure though... whose hsf just falls off!?

Good thing you're getting another cooler... it might be hard to Xfire that card with all the shoestring in the way!

nice work, creative, +1 foodstamp for you; duck tape would be better, but given it's a temporary solution, you made a good choice

I picked my current mobo for the fact it had 2 expansion slots in between the PCI-E slots so that i would have airflow with 2 cards.

i'm ashamed that this isn't as 'ghetto-esk' as i'd like but i feel it's worthy (perhaps not food stamp worthy tho) of a look.

this was my temporary method of affixing my rad to the back of the case. i feed cable ties thru the back of the rad screw holes and the cases 120mm case screw holes.
also note i didn't use rubber grommets to feed the 1/2 hose thru the dremel'ed holes in the back of the case. used black electrical tape.

WC%20loop1%20ghetto.jpg

WC%20loop2%20ghetto.jpg

WC%20loop3%20ghetto.jpg

Nice mod but It might have fit if you could get some better cable management going on in there.

Had one H50 installed, then picked up another H50 as an extra in a deal that had cracked tubing. Add in some PVC and tubing from Lowes, and viola!

IMG_9084.jpg

Woot! I made the front page with my ghetto cardboard fan holder colored with sharpie. :p

Back