Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
My main machine is in a PC-A05B, so I wanted to keep the clean look of the front. Instead of using the "Stealth" drive cover Lian-Li offers, I decided to just rip off the sides of the included empty drive bay covers. I used foam tape to stick it so that I can still press the eject button.

Thats not ghetto, that the original stealth mod.. from before there an nice bay covers!

laptop usb cooling mod
7rCCv.jpg

Video

dell pci bracket air agitator, actively cools all components.
N9PcH.jpg

Thermal take level 1
SzSyw.jpg

original thread

Last edited:
I've never known corkboard to be able to hold the weight of a lamp. :p Or an external enclosure for that matter.

Well, pegboard, corkboard whatever it's called I have it on the wall in my garage, but it's not as stong as that stuff seems to be.

That's not corkboard, at least not the typical stuff.

Well, IDK what it is either, the contractors that built this house decided that is was the best material to cover ALL the walls in the storage room.

More, hot glued heatsink on the dd-wrt linksys:
4H0TM.jpg

Is there a rule about posting here too often? Any way..

At one point I wanted to make a paper computer and got this much done, But I had to stop, the paper wast too weak to use as a case.
hkn2j.jpg

SR5Fv.jpg

And After I made the TT1 I decided to help a freind repair his moms computer with a part that didn't fit properly,
gKBNj.jpg

Thant right a matx psu to atx, I had to use fan screws to mount it to the case. :D

I think we have a winner!

Did this about 2 weeks ago, and its still working!

Browsing through I saw a guy had broke an arm on his chair and replaced it with a peice of plywood, well my chair suffered the same fate, on both arms, a few months apart!

I grabbed a piece of drop off at the shop and put an angle on it, after the other one broke I made a duplicate. You should have seen what I rigged up with like 4 scrap pieces of wood to band-aid it together after it broke, that was really ghetto.

Damn camera is dead, Ill post a pic later.

2qi4caa.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a rule about posting here too often? Any way..

At one point I wanted to make a paper computer and got this much done, But I had to stop, the paper wast too weak to use as a case.

And After I made the TT1 I decided to help a freind repair his moms computer with a part that didn't fit properly,

Thant right a matx psu to atx, I had to use fan screws to mount it to the case. :D

I wish I had pics, but my parents old emachine needed a new PSU because the PSU fan died (rest of the machine was good). All we had laying around was a regular ATX PSU, so we duct tape it to the outside of the case where the PSU hole was and ran the wires inside it. We ran it that way for a good 6 months till we got around to getting a MATX PSU.

ki2Kt.jpg

Not any more! :)

"I wish I had pics, but my parents old emachine needed a new PSU because the PSU fan died (rest of the machine was good). All we had laying around was a regular ATX PSU, so we duct tape it to the outside of the case where the PSU hole was and ran the wires inside it. We ran it that way for a good 6 months till we got around to getting a MATX PSU."

I would had torn that PSU open and put a new fan in... I know it is dangerous, however, when you're handling the red wire for the fan just don't touch any ground points.

A lot of people go ghetto with soldering I guess. I use anything from old heatsinks to an old, broken and stripped rangefinder camera chassis as a stand.

Stick the iron in the burrito for a few minutes, and you don't even have to go all the way to the microwave :)

*Raises hand* I've got a candidate for this thread, but I have 14 pics of it... post 'em here or make a new thread?

:eek: I know, I'm a n00b sometimes... :eek:

OK, you asked for it... beginning pix dump :D

img3994m.jpg

img3995t.jpg

img3997i.jpg

img3998y.jpg

img3999d.jpg

img4002h.jpg

img4002h.jpg

img4006w.jpg

img4007w.jpg

img4008ut.jpg

img4018s.jpg

img4022x.jpg

Specs on request. Also, I've actually done a couple of upgrades to the system since the pix were taken... namely, replaced the ODD and monitor with something a little better.

Is that a Dell Quietkey keyboard? Those are actually really nice to type on.

WTH, I'll go ahead and post specs...

[PSU] Allied 300W PSU, Model # AL-A300ATX
[MOBO] PC-Chips mATX Board, Socket 462
[CPU] AMD Athlon (maybe Athlon XP) @ 1150MHz
[HSF] Cheap, from a local computer shop
[RAM] 640MB PC133 (512+128)
[HDD] 80GB, don't recall make/model (it came from inside a Dell)
[ODD] As pictured, a 24x CD-ROM drive. This was upgraded recently to a DVD-compatible drive... IDK whether it's a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner, and I'm not pulling it to find out!
[FDD] Came from a 486 that was given to me by a friend.
[OS] Xubuntu 10.04 with a desktop image I found on DeviantART somewhere.

Switchgear and idiot lights are from a prehistoric HP, and the speaker is from places unknown.

The mainboard backplate is made from the backs of two different 3-ring binders that I no longer needed. The mainboard proper is held on with wood screws; I used "pony beads" (the classic, cheap@$$ craft beads found everywhere) as the standoffs. Most of the other screws are for sheet metal, but found their way into this thing anyhow. In fact, the only actual standard computer screws are the ones holding the drives in, and even those were scavenged!

The primary drive bay and the front panel are both cardboard (the solid kind, not corrugated). Floppy drive cage is the 3.5" bay cage from an eMachines that died spectacularly.

The base is a leftover chunk of wood, what my mother refers to as "bookshelf wood" (pine, stained with a dark cherry finish). It's about 12" square, and I have no clue how long it went sitting around before I found it. Gotta be at least 15 years.

The red light you see is a 3-light "Lazer" LED module that is mounted under the bracket that goes between the mobo backplate and the FDD cage (structural integrity... trust me, that bracket is very needed!). The bracket, BTW, is actually two brackets; one straight, one angled, held together with electrical tape, and attached to the mobo backplate with a binder clip. It attaches to the FDD cage via a screw into the FDD proper.

Ports on the motherboard are as follows: 2x PS/2 (KBD+MSE), 2x USB, DB9M Serial, DB25F Parallel, VGA, 3 Audio, and a DB15F Joystick.

Its name is Paper Tiger.

EDIT: D*mn you guys are good. Keyboard is indeed a Dell Quietkey... (c) 1991 IIRC. Mouse is a Logitech Click! mouse, with a USB->PS/2 adapter. Speakers are cr*p from Computer Associates... bought at Circuit City for (I think) $20. I think I paid about $15 too much ;)

EDIT2: ... and just as a side note, that keyboard is junk. It's LOUD, the keys are stiff, and you have to hit the spacebar exactly right or it doesn't register. (The alternative, of course, is to just bang on it until it cries Uncle... which is what I do :p )

Last edited:
I have one and it feels great. Probably the clickiest and most tactile rubber membrane board I've used. And extra noise is a plus for me. As for the space bar on mine, it seems fine.

LMAO at this thread. I feel so deprived that I didnt find this before and sadly I found some ideas I will probably use LOL

been browsing the forum for a while now and just thought id register and contribute a little bit. i just recently upgraded my system to a 1090t so my old e8400 and 750i needed a new home. i pretty much blew my load on the new parts, so i couldnt afford to get a case for it. so....till then i decided to go with the old tried and true cardboard box HTPC!!. anyways, i had a blast making this and i will doing this again for sure.

i couldnt find anything other than packing tape...bummer
IMG_0175.JPG

i used small pieces of cardboard and taped them down into the bottom and side of the box along the sides of the components to make sure they dont move around from their spots in the box.
IMG_0172.JPG

i drew on a Boognish for some flair. if you dont know what a Boognish is i suggest finding every album by Ween and listening to them. a warning though, the first 2 albums are hard to listen to
IMG_0177.JPG

evrything looks xpensiv but the case, not sure we can really call this ghetto, but still well done

Back