Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Quick and dirty one to hold me over until I build a cooling pad.
3317627377_e7af99246f_o.jpg

Well, my case has no 120mm fan mounts, and all my 80mm ones are full anyway. So I thought, where am I going to put this 120mm fan? The answer was of course to mount it in the drive bays. So I created a cardboard insert, put the fan in, then secured it using string:

1238654043.jpg

1238654102.jpg

Sadly I only had electrical tape at my disposal. I'll have the reupload the images (IsaraPix's host deleted everything by accident, and there were no backups).

DSC_1367.sized.jpg

vmware testing rig.. p5w dhd, 6 gigs of ram, e6600, 320GB IDE with SATA adapter, lol..

DSCN0534.jpg

only pic i have.
notice the power supply coming out where the 5 1/2" ports are?
my heatsink was too big...
ended up taking a dremel to the top of it and put it back in place, gotta love it!

So my external hard drive didn't come with a fan... I have a 1tb wd caviar "black" in it. basically, it was in my main rig, which is in storage where I go to college now... didn't want to leave my movies in south carolina, so i got an external enclosure for it and brought it home to california with me. Anyways, this thing gets pretty toasty after a while, so I decided to employ some cardboard and an old 80mm fan I had lying around for some active cooling.

Yes, I used a needle to poke holes in the power cord, and the fan is going straight to it. I need to get a switch so it's not on whenever the thing is plugged in.

Last edited:
Prolly should do a window just for the fun of it. Cable management and put 2 fans. for some reason there was no fan on the back so i had to put some old one in. The LED fan has to be there. It stopped being a wonderful compu a few years back and it overheats so I had to add both. Its from August 2001 got it for school. Compaq's not too bad. i rather buy a mac or lappy or build one now=)

IMG_0404.jpg

God I wish I had a good camera back in summer 2004. Probably the ghettoest cooling mod ever on a Compaq lappy. Had the same 2.8Ghz P4 as my desktop. Toasty as hell. First the plug to the power adapter melted/burned and I stripped the lappy down to the mobo and resoldered a $3 jack. That's not the mod though-just make a point on how hot the laptop was. Temp monitor indicated 104C. yes, Celcius, and that wasn't even the core temp.

So, it's 90F in the summer and I needed this lappy to work during my internship. Zip-tying a fan wasn't going to be enough. Ice was the answer. Three massive blocks of re-freezable ice was. Carefully placed to balance the lappy and not block airflow, I was able to make that POS last the summer. Forgetting to freeze the ice packs = another 7or so hours of downtime.

Kind of makes me want to design Core i7 laptops with removable ice inserts.

Needed to exhaust some of the hot air from my HD4870 card, so I slapped a 92mm fan in there. Works well, dropped ambient temps by about 7°C and dropped my GFX idle temps by 15°C. Under load it can still peak at about 80°C, but at least it isn't pushing 100°C anymore.
IMG_7879.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

LOL! I made a few of them Ghetto Mods in my life time...
Whats up peeps. Long time no see!

cooler is a bit too heavy for my 9600gt, and until i find something better:

DSC09535.jpg

Yes, that's a screwdriver

Originally posted in the Show Your LCD(s) setups!!! thread, but CLock3 kindly pointed me to this one.

So until I find a silent IPS sRGB 24" monitor with HDMI input that sells in the US for under $900, this is my setup:

pano1200x.jpg

Specs:
  • Front support: 3x pineapple cans
  • Back support: 2x 1.89L apple juice bottles
  • bottom support: 2x Glide floss (ensures that sound from the front speaker isn't muffled by the desk)

All supporting accessories available from Safeway. I've had this setup for a few months and it works surprisingly well.

Last edited:
3 x 5.35inch drive bay covers, a bit of super strength glue, 1 x 120mm fan plus fanguard and 15 minutes with a dremel = ghetto fan mod.
IMG_7885.jpg

IMG_7883.jpg

And pictured below is the old 550watt PSU I ripped the 120mm fan guard from.
IMG_7886.jpg

Well, here's my laptop as of now. The thing overheats with 70+ temps at load, and because I run folding@home on it it was unacceptable. It's used as a desktop, since the batteries don't hold a charge anymore. I was sick of it overheating so I removed the keyboard and stuck an old aluminum heatsink from a Duron 800 on the heatpipes. There's an old 120mm fan rigged to run off USB blowing air sideways. Now load temps are around 45C :D The other heatsink is for the graphics card.
2597334670104889669S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
than fan mod is hardly ghetto. its too clean for that. It looks like how things were done before the pre-mod days.
Ghetto is when I hacked my case so i could fit a car stereo in it and powered it of the computer's PSU.
I wish I had pics.

My Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 cpu fan died, so I decided to zip-tie a 80mm fan right through the heatsink. Actually does a decent job, but in the future I think i'll just mate a more powerful 80mm with the AC Freezer shroud and hook it up to a front panel fan controller, so I can manually control the fan speed instead of the motherboard.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

here is a picture by picture of my custom GFX cooler using cheapo and spares, also the tape was 'permanently borrowed' from my old care home (stupid social workers!).

an AMD CPU HS attached with origional 'Plustic' HS above:
2s169gx.jpg

attached a CF on the front of card to blow extra air through HS:
qoy5h0.jpg

add an air channel for the ram chips allong the top:
35ls2f7.jpg

Final Product:
kaqkyb.jpg

Folds Brilliantly at 700Mhz (50*C) for a single GPU computer:cool::D!
also looks half decent does'nt it:cool:?

Just for kicks, my dads boss asked me to fix his 800Mhz P3, the previous repair technitian used an incomaptible USB card to 'speed things up', resault... you guessed it, the computer stalled half way throu booting. well after knowing the amount of abuse the computer sustained, i decided that i might as well use the cd drive as a cup holder (and there wasnt any room on the desk anyway):

20isymr.jpg

(of course... i know this is stupid to do:D)

I'd probably do that, looks like the computer could use replacing anyway.

My Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 cpu fan died, so I decided to zip-tie a 80mm fan right through the heatsink. Actually does a decent job, but in the future I think i'll just mate a more powerful 80mm with the AC Freezer shroud and hook it up to a front panel fan controller, so I can manually control the fan speed instead of the motherboard.

Now that is how you install a fan!

Back