Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
If my computer was on the 2nd floor, and the router was right below me on the first floor. Would I have to put foil around the antennae pointing up to strengthen the signal?

well mine wins because it cost me $0.00 to make and it still boost my signal enough

But the fact that I can get multiple neighbor internet connections and a large amount of bandwidth from each one wins harder, and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Mark, no. But if you share more details, and perhaps a picture of said antenna, I could point you in the right direction.

450, I'm not sure a person can be defined as ghetto ;).

Its a linksys wireless G with two antennas pointing up. I have a gigabyte wireless pci card that is used for wireless. should I point the gigabyte antennae down?

I'd have to look at your setup to see. Just try pointing it in several directions and see which one gets the best signal. If its one floor above then there shouldn't be an issue.

best [486];1033315821 said:
Naw, ghetto doesn't mean crappy, using a wok as a sort of a "waveguide" thing is ghetto, it's all about function...

I suppose so, I guess I was just thinking about how all the mods in the beginning of this thread were done with duct tape, cardboard and ramen noodle cups haha.

There are multiple classifications of ghetto mods, including [but not limited to]:

MacGyver [nuclear reactor out of bubblegum, 3 toothpicks, and a hair dryer]
Jack of all Trades [usually contains welding, machining, and sheetmetal work]
Mad Max [cobbled together from scraps]
Dumpster [consists mainly of cardboard, masking tape, and styrofoam]
TOODT [The Order Of the Duct Tape [ever seen the red green show?]]

Usually things are a mix of the last two...

[all a joke, there are no real classifications, but it's at least a little funny:p]

best [486];1033323521 said:
There are multiple classifications of ghetto mods, including [but not limited to]:

MacGyver [nuclear reactor out of bubblegum, 3 toothpicks, and a hair dryer]
Jack of all Trades [usually contains welding, machining, and sheetmetal work]
Mad Max [cobbled together from scraps]
Dumpster [consists mainly of cardboard, masking tape, and styrofoam]
TOODT [The Order Of the Duct Tape [ever seen the red green show?]]

Usually things are a mix of the last two...

[all a joke, there are no real classifications, but it's at least a little funny:p]

You had me going for a second there :). I like the MacGyver one the most.

My question is how long is the wooden dowel from the wok lid to the b/g adapter?

I am strongly considering making one LOL.

It depends on the depth and diameter of the dish.

The formula is as follows:

f = (D * D) * (16 / c)

f is focal length
D is diameter
c is depth

The dish should be as close to parabolic as possible.

So one of my friends told me i have a ghetto habit to get stuff to cool, and decided to post it here.

First pic is showing my custom bracket system for my tuniq, i tried using the am2 bracket for the 939, but me applying wayy to much force and having it on the wrong side made the plastic clip part chip off, So i decided to do this, Which is basically using a old backplate i had around with a H bracket on both the back and top of the motherboard one screw is being held by a fake gold nut, and the other one is being held by 2 nuts i had from my fans. It actually works!

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00518wi6.jpg

Second is my south bridge heatsink, after getting tired of 70C idle temps, i decided to pop off the heatsink and reapply as5 and put it back on. Easyer said then done, Once again too much pressure made the plastic kind of screws fall apart, so i decided to once again, use the long screws from my fans and nuts to hold it place. It was a pain to get the nuts to go all the way down the fins of the heatsink as you can see in the picture, but using a expansion slot of my case to hold down the nut. While using a screw driver on the back to tight it down worked. I had to leave the bottom one kinda loose or else my video card wont snap into place, Once all that was done, It worked! Temps went down about 15C surprisingly, sad thing is the thermal tape or stuff that was on the sb heatsink was almost glued onto the heatsink. So i had to use a knife and scrape it off enough where the sb makes contant with the heatsink.

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00519ej4.jpg

Im soo happy im upgrading my setup this holiday season :D

it was suggested that i post my ghetto water cooling here, so i did:D here's the original thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1367692

i made my own waterblock, slapped it together with silicone, etc etc. my case is an 8 year old beige POS that can barely fit all this crap so its starting to look rather nasty....however i've now got an opteron 165 running at 2.8 Ghz :D

some highlights are back 80mm fan mount drilled to death to accept 120mm fan (barely). front was 80mm also so i took a bigass sawsall and tore a hole out the front for a 120mm...ran out of thermal epoxy so i busted out some copper based gasket making shit i have for my car and used it on the ramsinks for the video cards (got 2x 7900 gto in sli) and finally coolant is nothing more than distilled water and some PTnuke

enjoy!

img5066sg3.jpg

img5076de1.jpg

img5077fh1.jpg

51120613uy3.jpg

img5126lj1.jpg

img5130fc1.jpg

img5132ls4.jpg

img5133ep2.jpg

it was suggested that i post my ghetto water cooling here, so i did:D here's the original thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1367692

i made my own waterblock, slapped it together with silicone, etc etc. my case is an 8 year old beige POS that can barely fit all this crap so its starting to look rather nasty....however i've now got an opteron 165 running at 2.8 Ghz :D

some highlights are back 80mm fan mount drilled to death to accept 120mm fan (barely). front was 80mm also so i took a bigass sawsall and tore a hole out the front for a 120mm...ran out of thermal epoxy so i busted out some copper based gasket making shit i have for my car and used it on the ramsinks for the video cards (got 2x 7900 gto in sli) and finally coolant is nothing more than distilled water and some PTnuke

enjoy!
That is fucking amazing. Kudos to you, sir.

well so far no leaks....had a very minor one in the cpu block shortly after setup but nothing a big gob of silicone can't cure:D

cpu is running around 52ºC max, 2.8Ghz 1.41V. rather conservative, i just dont think it worthwhile to shoot for 3Ghz. if i change my mind i'm going to delid the opteron. just for the hell of it.

video cards topped out low unfortunately...about 700 core and 680 (ddr) ram...they run about 43 C max. i want to do a voltmod but i dunno if i can trust my hands to do work that fine...the contacts are just so damn small!

i added a variable resistor to the rad fans and wired them all into one plug to clean up that external wiring mess a bit. i think 5k ohm is a bit much though...its like on or off. gotta pick up a smaller one i think. like 500 ohm.

so yea everything is workin well. i'm quite surprised really. got the panels back on the case too.

image size is 8MP so ill upload it some where else that resizes it and repost later.. need to show my ghetto gfx card cooler next..
41c98119804176

Dont have any pics, but I bought a POS $20 belkin wifi router from walmart that kept overheating... so I stuck it in the fridge next to my desk and it worked. I have since replaced it with a linksys that works fine... Though I will share with you pics of my new file server? and a video of some other crap i've done around the room.
http://vimeo.com/2480233x

needed a CD drive with which i could install windows... was too lazy to remove the drive out of the other computer, so i just stretched the cables over

the only thing ghetto about that is your dirty carpet. 0/12 foodstamps

lol true the carpet does look bad.. but that picture was taken 2 days before we got the carpet replaced.. might as well trash it while i still could... :p

btw criccio.. i live in the boonies the dirt here is pure fine grain sand.. its litterly impossible to keep it out of your houses.. no one bothers to wash their cars because a 10mph fills the sky with sand.. gets in through windows doors everything.. i have filters on my antec 300 case and i have to clean them out every 3-4 days..

dang i might have to steal that computer in a motherboard box idea, Humjaba.. lol i have more motherboards/cpu's then i have cases.. woot..

Wow thats weird, my chair arm broke as well today, so when i lean back the whole back moves downwards, i went to go grab a old wood kitchen table from the basement and my back is getting used to it :(

This by far wins:

1. It's not a computer mod, but a chair mod.
2. It's very resourceful
2a. Using Duct tape.
2b. Using wood.
3. It's ghetto!

Ghetto cable job, 80 mm fans, Thermaltake HSF, case, and PSU, and a hard drive resting on top of a hard drive cage.

+5 food stamps :D

Ghetto cable job, 80 mm fans, Thermaltake HSF, case, and PSU, and a hard drive resting on top of a hard drive cage.

+5 food stamps :D

That's not ghetto in a sense of making something work for cheap/no money. That's lack of pride for the user taking the pic and posting it on the internets.

That's not ghetto in a sense of making something work for cheap/no money. That's lack of pride for the user taking the pic and posting it on the internets.

You should see it now that i dremeled holes to fit 120mm fans into it. What you can't see is how i mounted the heatsink without the mounting kit.

Trust me, you don't want to know.

More to add to it, the day my chair broke I went down to Fry's bought this this chair http://shop1.frys.com/product/3118550 it was the best one they had. Went home and put it together. When I sat in it, it was too high, really high. So I wanted to know how high got the tape measure and found out it was exactly 3inches too high (Yes I am very picky on height, recline angle and everything) took the wheels off and it was perfect, expect for the part it couldn't move.

Disassembled and put the chair back in the box. It was around 8:30 and Fry's was going to close by the time I get their, so I went down to Home Deport with my broken chair arm, they told me to use JB Weld on it, so I bought it. I JB Welded up the chair arm but I didn't want to sit around for another wait for it to dry. So I went looking around in the garage and found some wood, got the drill and some bolts from around the garage and made myself a new chair arm.

I fixed the broken chair arm and I can reattach it, but I don't want to take the risk of it breaking again, and don't feel like paiting/refinishing it.

5345fe6e.jpg

The bused wood panel is obviously uglier than the welded arm - no need to refinish it, and you'd still look less ghetto.

The bused wood panel is obviously uglier than the welded arm - no need to refinish it, and you'd still look less ghetto.

The point is that it's working :).

I'm thinking of making a cardboard duct for my 8800GTS 512 so I can use a 120MM fan instead. Hmmm....

best [486];1032940932 said:
Actually that is a slot load 12x cd drive. Also, I have all the fancy tools, I just needed the exercize of the manual saw.

Soon that shelf will house my new S/939 system, as soon as the mobo comes in the mail....

This is from a few pages back but I'm wondering if that slot loading drive came out of an old compaq?

I have the same drive as my temp drive in my main computer at the moment.

Finally sick and tired of ATI's worthless cooler and vowing to never again spend $ on aftermarket VGA coolers, I ghetto zip tied my old Thermalright 8800GTX cooler onto a very willing 4850...red ties of course. :D The pads came from the 4850's reference cooler too!

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

Result? Left4Dead temps of less than 44 C compared to the single slot wonder's 88 C when @ 40% fan speed. Now it's time to get some real speed out of her! :D

Back