Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
Smee, you deserve an award for your lovely cardboard PC. I thought it was plain ghetto until I saw the second box on top with the motherboard and then I knew you were a ghetto All-Star.

And after you receive your award you will receive a beating for making your cardboard PC. :D

LOL!!!
Thanks man :) I had a lot of fun putting it together, my sis is still using it :D
I'm now working on buying parts for my computer and then her new computer....

She can't wait :rolleyes: :D

@ cuog, what's with the non-existent heatsink? It's small and not even secured :p.

More Cardboard, sadly that stupid motherboard was too tall for every case I had laying around.

*snip*]

I have a few extra cases if you just want to pay for shipping. :) They are beige boxes from the late 90's but will fit that board.

Nice cardboardery

I don't really need cases too much I have some nice oldies that I'm going to mod but I'm too lazy currently, been busy with robotics, and I need sleep by the time I get home. Also the heatsink is from a northbridge that was set in place, then glued to the cpu with a heavy weight on it. if manages to cool the CPU alright, but I wouldn't trust it for long.

I don't really need cases too much I have some nice oldies that I'm going to mod but I'm too lazy currently, been busy with robotics, and I need sleep by the time I get home. Also the heatsink is from a northbridge that was set in place, then glued to the cpu with a heavy weight on it. if manages to cool the CPU alright, but I wouldn't trust it for long.

The ultimate in ghetto. A new low. Congratulations!

I must add to this cause shortly. Will be building a system for my 2yr old but must be child safe and sturdy. Just need some time away from WoW... =)

not as ghetto as a cardboard box...but the fan on my x1900gt croaked so i ripped of the shroud and zip-tied an 80mm blue led fan directly to the stock copper heatsink... added a lego spidy hanging off of my cpu fan too...:D
1900gt_fan.jpg

I should make something ghetto out of these spare shipping boxes that I have all over the place :).

Fantastic thread, thanks to the people who posted to it today otherwise I would not have found it. I feel inspired to try a ghetto mod.

Congrats to all the fantastic ghetto fabulous builds. Keep up the good (err ghetto) work!

I was gonna go with some fancy mount procedure, but I just said f--k it. It's sitting on a couple screws coming out of the LCD mount points, and taped up top to keep it secure.

Gentlemen, I present to you, ghetto-iMac.

img_0502521.jpg

The giant heatsink on the back of this 2.1 sub box was getting hella hot from trying to power my Insignias full-time.
So I hot glued a 120mm Yate Loon fan in place and used a molex to dc adapter that I had lying around to power it. It stays nice and cold now =) Kinda pointless though since I'm waiting for a Denon DRA-395 receiver in arrive via UPS.

subfan.jpg

I give my neighbor across the street free internet, but the signal was extremely low.. like.. 1 bar all the time. and constantly disconnected.
So I made some tin-foil thingies to direct the signal. 4 out of 5 bars now =)

wifi1.jpg

wifi2.jpg

I give my neighbor across the street free internet, but the signal was extremely low.. like.. 1 bar all the time. and constantly disconnected.
So I made some tin-foil thingies to direct the signal. 4 out of 5 bars now =)
That is pretty cool. How did you do that? Hit me a PM on it :)

haha don't let that point towards your head by accident. it would work better with woks just fyi. however that would add to the cost. hehe

I like that router setup :) That would be cool for my friend...might have to do that if he gets a PC, although he is down the street a bit...

I used to have a PC in a box, then on a plastic platter lol.

Just a quick heads up to some people. Cardboard burns... quite well.
LMAO :D

haha don't let that point towards your head by accident. it would work better with woks just fyi. however that would add to the cost. hehe
hmm... *idea*... I might be able to give my crazy white-trash bike-stealing dog-beating neighbors brain tumors and effectively kill them off, if I buy a hundred wrt54g routers in bulk, a few dozen woks, and little aim. :D

but ya, the whole point is to avoid having to buy something to make it better lol

I was going through my old pics and completely forgot to post my second take on the cardboard box pc! This was done in September of 2006.

0eff80b5.jpg

functional on-light, power button, and even a stealthed cd drive

ac0e9553.jpg

testing

45ad4c4a.jpg

06247a2b.jpg

2f14b6c2.jpg

it's a shame the second-hand (ultra-ghetto, from ghetto computer store, no joke) psu fried the mobo D: Never buying a used psu again.

so. i got 2 new HD's and i didnt have enough room in my case. so, i took some HD's holders out of a windows ME computer.. and got some cable ties, and here is what it looks like now

n758199936_628414_2351.jpg

I say you cover up the middle section you have the PJ and HTPC on and build the openings for the lens and PC's ports into the table. Kinda hard to explain, get what i mean though?

Anyway, I saw the router above and i though of mine. I broke the wifi card inside my iMac while tinkering around (apple products NEVER go back together right...lol) so I set up a spare WRT54G running Tomato firmware to connect to my main router in Ethernet bridge mode. Not really ghetto, but the tin foil reflectors are! and they work!

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Heh... My SATA Raid card was overheating... So I thermal epoxied a penny to it.

Oh, yeah, what makes this even more ghetto, was that I didn't have any actual thermal epoxy kicking around. No, I mixed up some regular epoxy (100mg of it to be exact) and added it to 300mg worth of MX-2 thermal paste, mixed and applied ;).

NEW020.jpg

Got that very same card. Never thought to put a penny on the thing. LOL!

So, i turned my hard drives around, and lost the space for my fan at the very front of my case. So, kinda ghetto, but effective: Scotch tape
007.jpg

009.jpg

So, i turned my hard drives around, and lost the space for my fan at the very front of my case. So, kinda ghetto, but effective: Scotch tape
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/johnspalding4/007.jpg[/oMG][/QUOTE]
Just remember that the heat from the drive will probably cause the sticky on the tape to perish & eventually the fan will fall off.

Back